Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice2Dragon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
July 29, 2008 Releases

The Band's Visit
Beowulf : Directors Cut (TruHD audio!!! WOOT!)
The Big White
Clear and Present Danger
Dark City
Doomsday (not a bad movie...looks phenomenal!)
Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle (Unrated?)
Harold and Kumar Go To Guantanemo Bay (Unrated)
Human Body : Pushing The Limits
Hunt For Red October
Lost Boys
Lost Boys : The Tribe (Is this a sequel or a prequel? Anyone)
Mortuary
Never back Down
Patriot Games
Perhaps Love
Robin Hood : Season 1
Salvage
Shine A Light
Stargate : Continuum
Sum Of All Fears
Tiger Blade
Top Gun (Wooo!!!)
Vengeance

Itll be updated every week, sorry guys. Ive had a very busy two weeks @_@

Helpful Links

AVS picture quality tier thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=858316
HDM reviews and new:
High Def Digest

Import Sites
www.xploitedcinema.com

Region Code Listing
http://bluray.liesinc.net

OP will be updated soon with more info.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DestroVega']How's that Shakira ass-shaking look on BD? I bet slammin....[/quote]

Um.. groin grabbingly good. ^_^

Its great pq in all seriousness.

AQ is great too.

Been a in the closet shakira fan for a few years.. since 2000 when Whenever, Wherever struck gold.

Its a great buy.i.

Best buy has the RE trilogy for $58.99; which if you pricematch at CC or Sears, will get you another $3.10 off.

I think im going to give the movies a rent before i decide. RE: Extinction got 5/5 on both Audio & Video on Blu-Ray.com. Unfortuntely, since its 2.40:1, it'll probably still look like upscaled dvd on my tv.

Man...to buy RE:Trilogy or not? Today's the last day of the Amazon 10% off bonus (I'm going to miss you, good buddy) - but I don't know if I want to own a copy of RE:Extinction (for any reason other than checking out profile 1.1 in action).

Shoot 'em up...now that I could get into.

[quote name='mykevermin']Man...to buy RE:Trilogy or not? Today's the last day of the Amazon 10% off bonus (I'm going to miss you, good buddy) - but I don't know if I want to own a copy of RE:Extinction (for any reason other than checking out profile 1.1 in action).

Shoot 'em up...now that I could get into.[/QUOTE]
Yeah it is going to suck to lose the Amazon 10% bonus. It was great to add that to the BOGO and B2G1.

Has anyone got there hands on Shoot'em Up yet?

Pretty soon you'll be able to get Amazon credit for dirt cheap if you dont mind flipping movies/games. All Blockbusters will be selling Amazon gift cards (stores in La Jolla, CA; and maybe other cities already are).

Current rate of exchange would be $9.99 + tax for every $33 in Amazon credit.

[quote name='DomLando']Yeah it is going to suck to lose the Amazon 10% bonus. It was great to add that to the BOGO and B2G1.

Has anyone got there hands on Shoot'em Up yet?[/quote]

Great audio! 7.1 man can't beat that at all! Great pq too, but I doubt its gonna compare to the RE box set.. damn tote bag..

Wow.

RE TRILOGY= MUST BUY

Not even freaking kidding. The first resident evil I had to crank DOWN my stereo system, the opening credits is demo material, the laser scene, the end train scene.. great audio.. great picture.. definite recommend to anyone thinking about it.. very worthwhile purchase.

just finished watching i know who killed me.. what a shit fest..

anyways cant wait for res evil 1 and 3.. i already have 2 though..

Any word on the transfers? the res evil 2 transfer on bd was not that great and i thought i had heard the hd imports were better.

o shit- are they giving that tote in stores as well?

[quote name='guyver2077']just finished watching i know who killed me.. what a shit fest..

anyways cant wait for res evil 1 and 3.. i already have 2 though..

Any word on the transfers? the res evil 2 transfer on bd was not that great and i thought i had heard the hd imports were better.

o shit- are they giving that tote in stores as well?[/quote]

Transfers

RE 1 - 4.5/5, grain is present, but not distracting enough, it is visible in a few scenes.

RE 2 - 4/5 , grain amount is large.. too distracting in some scenes.

RE 3 - 5/5 AMAZING PICTURE.. Definite upgrade from the dvd quality.

As for the imports I can't say, but id assume transfer wise its nearly the same..

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Transfers

RE 1 - 4.5/5, grain is present, but not distracting enough, it is visible in a few scenes.

RE 2 - 4/5 , grain amount is large.. too distracting in some scenes.

RE 3 - 5/5 AMAZING PICTURE.. Definite upgrade from the dvd quality.

As for the imports I can't say, but id assume transfer wise its nearly the same..[/quote]

ok.. is there anything special to the set? if not i may just pick up 1 and 3 since i have 2. you can instore pickup the set and the tote will ship for free at bb.com

anyone pickup in store? why doesnt amazon have the set?

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Wow.

RE TRILOGY= MUST BUY

Not even freaking kidding. The first resident evil I had to crank DOWN my stereo system, the opening credits is demo material, the laser scene, the end train scene.. great audio.. great picture.. definite recommend to anyone thinking about it.. very worthwhile purchase.[/quote]

I am watching the last one right now. This is a great set. The audio on RE2 seemed a little off. So far, the third one is sounding pretty good. I need to go sit in my surround sound area. I am glad I got this set.

[quote name='guyver2077']ok.. is there anything special to the set? if not i may just pick up 1 and 3 since i have 2. you can instore pickup the set and the tote will ship for free at bb.com

anyone pickup in store? why doesnt amazon have the set?[/quote]

Yeah, 2 sucks. Crappy transfer, and the audio always seemed to overpower the damn dialogue, and there wasnt any ear catching scenes.

I just like the trilogy box.

Anyone post better pics of the RE Tote Bag?

I'm considering doing in-store pickup of the set and having them ship the Tote Bag if/when it becomes available. Anyone have experience on backordered items like that? Is it likely they'll just cancel it or will they able to fill the orders?

Why do people rejoice when a company that used to produce both HDDVD and Bluray goes exclusive to one or the other? I'm not trying to flame, I just wonder why all of the celebration when they will be providing Blu Ray owners the same thing they were providing before.

[quote name='zzl365']Why do people rejoice when a company that used to produce both HDDVD and Bluray goes exclusive to one or the other? I'm not trying to flame, I just wonder why all of the celebration when they will be providing Blu Ray owners the same thing they were providing before.[/quote]

It's simple.

The people who care about this are generally fans of HDM (high definition media). Since we are fans of HDM, we want HDM to become mainstream and that cannot happen when consumers continually get confused by two formats hence the celebration.

i wish the HD wars would be over soon. i want to get into getting HD media, but dont want to buy 1 and not the other

[quote name='zzl365']Why do people rejoice when a company that used to produce both HDDVD and Bluray goes exclusive to one or the other? I'm not trying to flame, I just wonder why all of the celebration when they will be providing Blu Ray owners the same thing they were providing before.[/QUOTE]If Warner didn't go Bluray exclusive, there'd be no incentive for companies to choose Bluray over HD-DVD, now there is.

[quote name='jmillion']i wish the HD wars would be over soon. i want to get into getting HD media, but dont want to buy 1 and not the other[/QUOTE]They're over. And I can gaurantee Paramount are kicking themselves in the ass right now and it's only a matter of time before Universal comes over too. Unless they want to name it U-DVD, since they're the only supporters.

[quote name='TimPV3']If Warner didn't go Bluray exclusive, there'd be no incentive for companies to choose Bluray over HD-DVD, now there is.
[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure there could be a worse answer.

This is great for people who haven't made a choice yet. That's it.

With the addition of Warner Bros Blu-ray now has 70% exclusive access to Hollywood studio content.

Pretty crazy.

1 HD format = we all win.

[quote name='zzl365']Why do people rejoice when a company that used to produce both HDDVD and Bluray goes exclusive to one or the other? I'm not trying to flame, I just wonder why all of the celebration when they will be providing Blu Ray owners the same thing they were providing before.[/quote]

Becaue you are in the PS3 forum, and we loves us some Blu-Ray! :cool:

[quote name='Ivanhoe']With the addition of Warner Bros Blu-ray now has 70% exclusive access to Hollywood studio content.

Pretty crazy.

1 HD format = we all win.[/quote]

To hell with that, I wish the format wars would continue indefinitely, since the competition is the only reason they are undercutting each other left and right and having these BOGO sales in the first place.

Having 2 separate formats isn't any sort of inconvenience for me, as I can afford to have both players and the costs for the discs. But that doesn't mean I like the ridiculous costs for the discs...the war has been the best thing in driving prices down quickly.

Do any of you recall the early days of DVD, when studios were also giving out free discs with purchases of players or DVDs? Those offers disappeared when DVD became adopted by the masses. Sure, prices come down on DVDs and often times far quicker than previously, but if you think you're going to see cheap Blu Rays once that becomes the standard, or BOGO sales like we've been having, you are sorely mistaken.

You won't find a new release under $25, and 'discounted' older discs will be $19.99 or $15 at best. Maybe $10 at the very best for Black Friday or rare specials where they try to clear out a glut.

Kinda sucks considering I just bought Toshiba HD-A3, but for $175 it wasn't that much more than a standard upconverting DVD player (plus the 10 free movies).

Does this mean they'll just stop producing the current HD-DVD releases and they'll all go OOP?

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I'm not sure there could be a worse answer.

This is great for people who haven't made a choice yet. That's it.[/QUOTE]

This is good for HD media in general. Unlike video games where more than one format can coexist when it comes to a mainstream movie format like DVD the masses want one format and only one.

With the exception of HDDVD pulling a miracle at this point the PS3 did its job and it paid off for Sony. Now they can concentrate on making the PS3 about games first and foremost.

[quote name='Ivanhoe']With the addition of Warner Bros Blu-ray now has 70% exclusive access to Hollywood studio content.

Pretty crazy.

1 HD format = we all win.[/QUOTE]

1 HD format = fanboys win.

[quote name='mick16']Kinda sucks considering I just bought Toshiba HD-A3, but for $175 it wasn't that much more than a standard upconverting DVD player (plus the 10 free movies).

Does this mean they'll just stop producing the current HD-DVD releases and they'll all go OOP?[/QUOTE]

Warner stops support for HD DVD in May 2008 supposedly. So once those discs sell out at that point that's it. There's always the possibility of some other studio going neutral (I doubt exclusive) to HD DVD if Toshiba throws enough money around, but I would guess it's just a matter of time before Universal goes neutral or jumps ship completely.

Sony and Panasonic and possibly others had to have paid huge money to Warner for this to happen, like what happened with Paramount. This is probably the deathblow to HD DVD.

[quote name='Blitz']1 HD format = fanboys win.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Prices also go up.

Someone's got to pay for the $620m this cost, and I assure you it will be the consumers.

Yeah this is great news because normal consumers who aren't really sure what companies back a certain format have difficulties trying to choose what format to buy and just become confused.

This happens all the time when I work at Best Buy and people who aren't sure always say the same thing about two formats: "Well that's stupid"

[quote name='MastaGamer']Yeah this is great news because normal consumers who aren't really sure what companies back a certain format have difficulties trying to choose what format to buy and just become confused.

This happens all the time when I work at Best Buy and people who aren't sure always say the same thing about two formats: "Well that's stupid"[/quote]

Having two formats really is stupid. I cannot count how many times people have come up to me in Best Buy asking me what's the difference simply because I was checking out Blu-Ray movies (I'm not even an employee!).

As for sales, I'm sure there will be fewer BOGO's, but there definitely will be sales. DVD, in its infancy had sales and price reductions even though there was no other competitor. Sony knows from all their BOGO's that there simply isn't demand for the media at $30 or even $25.

Macs going Blu-ray also??

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/01/03/apple_set_to_ship_macs_with_blu_ray_support_report.html

With the MS vs. Apple fight this seems like a given.

Apple set to ship Macs with Blu-ray support - report
By Slash Lane
Published: 10:00 AM EST Apple Inc. at this month's Macworld Expo will will outline a high-definition video strategy that will see its weight thrown further behind Sony Corp's Blu-ray DVD format as opposed to Toshiba's HD-DVD, according to one Wall Street analyst.

In a report issued to clients early Thursday morning, American Technology Research analyst Shaw Wu cited sources who say the Cupertino-based Mac maker, which already occupies a seat on the Blu-ray consortium, is set to begin shipping some of its computers with support for the next-generation DVD format.

"We believe this is a key announcement as current Macs ship with the DVD format and Sony gains a strong ally in Blu-ray," the analyst told clients. He added that Disney, for which Apple chief executive Steve Jobs is a Director, is a firm supporter of Blu-ray, while rival Microsoft Corp. has placed most of its eggs in the HD-DVD basket.

However, Wu hedged his bets somewhat, saying there is "a smaller chance Apple may use a combo Blu-ray/HD-DVD drive to ensure full compatibility and not get involved in the format wars."

Apple, which markets a complete line of HD content creation tools for consumers and professionals, announced in March of 2005 that it had joined Blu-ray Disc Association. Since then, however, the company has observed much of the ongoing battle between Blu-ray and HD-DVD from the sidelines, choosing to remain indifferent in the fight for control of the next-generation high def format.

The Mac maker during the first quarter of 2008 is expected to introduce a significant overhaul to its Mac Pro professional workstations, which are expected to be among the first systems from the company to include drives capable of supporting the Blu-ray format, sources close to AppleInsider and other Apple news publications have said.

im gonna miss the awesome deals... hopefully they still pop up...

this "war" made movie shopping fun.. i rarely ever bought dvd movies (except for the big titles"

the hd addon drive changed all that..and it will never be forgotten

Found something interesting, the $10 off $10 GCO through Buy.com works when you purchase from Deepdiscount using Buy.com.

Just search for the item you want and on the right side, it'll have other retailer's prices. Deepdiscount should be listed under most items, and its got the same prices on DD's site (free shipping too!).

With the new Paypal Plug in (Virtual debit card) you can now do unlimited $10 off $10 GCO's. I just ordered the first 4 volumes of Masters of Horror on Blu-Ray for $8.10 shipped each. Not bad at all!

HD wars will continue another year at least, so count on more good sales. This is mainly because studios have signed exclusivity contracts in the first place dividing the line. Awesome.

I've never seen a new media technology drop in price so quicky, it's really astonishing. Anyone else remember how long it took DVDs to drop in price from $40 to $9 ?!?!?!?!!

[quote name='Zoglog']I hope the format wars continue for awhile, it's brought us some damn good deals.[/QUOTE]

True that. But this war is going to have to end sooner or later. In the meantime, I'm just along for the ride =D

This is great i was about to buy an hd dvd player for bourne, but if this forces hd dvd camp to flop then i hope i can get it on blu ray soon and save me time and finally make life easier with only one format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back