Blu-ray's (Mastered in 4K)

anderson4145

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
4k steaming will never take off in the US. Just think of the bandwidth it would take. most internet in the US is cap or on the way to cap. even most unlimited have a cap of slower speed or a call telling you need to join a higher monthly package.

I wonder how long before we have idiots going around claiming "bluray is unwatchable, true movie lovers watch 4k!" The same way DVD is somehow "unwatchable" to these idiots now.

I'll admit never heard of 4k until this thread. So it's basically the next step up from 1080p? If that's it not interested. My regular BRs are good enough and I just finally upgraded nearly everything I had on DVD so there is no way I'm replacing everything again. I'm also one of those people that are still content with the quality from DVDs so this doesn't appeal to me a bit.

You may want to read the whole thread, these are blu-rays mastered from a 4k transfer not true 4k so you can play them on regular bluray players. The picture quality is much better than the normal blues though.

I wonder how long before we have idiots going around claiming "bluray is unwatchable, true movie lovers watch 4k!" The same way DVD is somehow "unwatchable" to these idiots now.
To be fair depending on the age of the DVD and if running through a BD player some of them ARE unwatchable. Largely thanks to formatting issues due to upscaling but still. I'm slowly upgrading all of my old Miramax/Dimension flicks because of this. But the truth of the matter is, I agree with essentially what you're saying. I couldn't care less about 4K on the horizon. Most movies still aren't even shot in 4K.

4k steaming will never take off in the US. Just think of the bandwidth it would take. most internet in the US is cap or on the way to cap. even most unlimited have a cap of slower speed or a call telling you need to join a higher monthly package.
Huh? That doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense. It doesn't take a critical mass to have streaming blu ray "take off" because you are streaming it, not buying it. If you're talking about 4k tv's then maybe you're right but Netflix will be able to stream 4k even if no one has the TV's or bandwith.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't see a huge difference between DVD picture quality and blu-ray, you might wanna turn the table on throwing around the idiot comment.

The difference between DVD and Blu-ray depends on the age of the show and who made the DVDs. Recent shows look good on DVD, but shows from the last century usually look OK at best on an HDTV.

You should check the link I posted to find out
I did. There's barely an improvement over the 1080p stream (which is compressed to high hell, too), as expected. I'll get Blu-ray discs in the mail from Netflix until the day they stop offering the mail service.

I love how everyone is missing the point about these 4K Blu's.  Even IF they were 4K res. they're not full color 4K so they're not even Lossless video.
Heck even 1080p full color right now would take up WAY too much space on Blu-ray.  However, getting full color you'd see the most difference in terms of video quality.

I love how everyone is missing the point about these 4K Blu's. Even IF they were 4K res. they're not full color 4K so they're not even Lossless video.
Heck even 1080p full color right now would take up WAY too much space on Blu-ray. However, getting full color you'd see the most difference in terms of video quality.
They're pushing format changes too quickly. These companies think that people are going to plop down $2,000-$4,000 every 2 years for a new TV just because they came up with some new gimmick. It's not going to happen. TV adoption takes years and 4K has no content outside of House of Cards on Netflix.

We'll be lucky if 4K is broadcast over the cable lines our lifetimes.

Like I said, not interested. I've almost rebuilt my DVD collection that I had with all of its Blu-Ray replacements now so I'm not getting rid of my Blus and replacing them with this 4K stuff. Hell Blus have only just started becoming more accepted as DVDs are still reigning in sales and that probably won't be reversed anytime soon.

All this discussion is stupid. Just read the reviews. The only 4K transfer blu-ray worth grabbing apparently is Ghostbusters. I scooped it cheap.

I invested the money on a 4k TV, first new television since 1080P started to become a standard. The picture is amazing, even if 4K conent isn't available right now if your looking for a new TV the picture is great! I still haven't picked up any of the "mastered in 4K" videos, but will soon enough to check it out.

These should really be labeled "Mastered FROM 4K," not "Mastered in 4K", if they want to be honest.  If something looks better than a previous release it's purely coincidental, and just means that they happened to do a bad 1080p transfer the first time around.

That said, if you don't own something like Ghostbusters yet, you should be buying this version (deceptive marketing aside).  Does the "Mastered in 4K" label and gold band only appear on the slipcovers?  I'd be happy if you could take those off and just have a normal blu-ray case underneath.

These are NOT 4K discs. They are 1080p mastered from a 4K source. This means a higher bit rate, meaning more space is devoted to picture quality, and the source from which the transfer was derived was of a superior quality, which means the picture looks significantly better than the earlier releases (though many, such as Spider-Man, are early generation blu-rays), but even upconverted on a 4K TV it will not look as good as a true 4K disc, just as upconverted DVDs do not (usually) look as good as blu-rays.

As far as replacing your collection with 4K, well, 8K already exists (it's way too expensive for consumer level, but it is coming, as are inevitably higher pixel counts).

If you have a gigantic TV you can tell the difference. Also depends on how much of a videophile you are.

I can see 4K/8K being used moreso in theaters or with people who have projector screens than normal families.

how do ppl even see the difference
I saw an article that says the best thing about 4K/UHD is the dynamic range, meaning they can show more different colors onscreen at the same time, including some that cannot be found in nature. The pixel count creates an underwhelming impression, but they think the increased range is the seller.

If you have a gigantic TV you can tell the difference. Also depends on how much of a videophile you are.

I can see 4K/8K being used moreso in theaters or with people who have projector screens than normal families.
I sit like 15 feet back from my TV, I really don't see how this is going to be bennificial unless I get a much larger TV size.

The last two successful video upgrades were driven by video game consoles, the DVD by PS2 and Blu Ray by PS3. Core gamers are a large part of the early adopter base these days because they're willing to put out a lot of cash. A lot of people upgraded their SDTV's to HDTV's so they could play PS360 in HD.

So with 4k there is:

- no video game console

- no physical media

- no broadcast media

- expensive

- 1080p will always be cheaper and even if 4k hits $1,000 then 1080p will hit $400 for the same size set

Without a video game console to drive early adopters, they're left with videophiles and even many of those won't upgrade without having a dedicated physical media. Mastered in 4k might be an okay stopgap for some but most people that really care about video aren't going to want it. Besides, even if 4k is successful, you'll find yourself replacing "masted with 4k" with ACTUAL 4k discs thus you wasted your money. I read that they've only sold 100,000 4k TV's so far.

Finally - the fact that this conversation is even happening on this message board and many others (if you google this topic), is evidence enough that 4k is going to have a hell of a time being successful and will most likely fail. People that discuss things like this on message boards are into tech and are almost always early adopters. The arguements between typical early adopters debating if this tech is worth the money goes to show that the companies selling these products are going to have an uphill battle.

I actually got the Samsung LED 4K Ultra HD TV (2160p). It costed me the same as my  regular 1080p LED tv when they first came out $2,500. Best buy sells the 4k TVs for a reasonable price now. I also got Total Recall and The Amazing Spiderman. Both looked even better then the regular versions of Blu ray. The difference to me was like NBA 2k14 on the XboxOne and Ps4 compared to Xbox360 and Ps3. Only down side is i don't think any cable services can broadcast anything that high of quality. 

This is for blu-rays mastered in 4k can we please stay on topic.
Yeah, and as I said, they're a waste of money because if this 4k format actually succeeds then anyone buying these discs are simply going to replace their movies yet AGAIN with a REAL 4k disc. Had you actually read the post you would have seen that nugget. Why do I get the feeling that you work for the movie industry in some way?

I actually got the Samsung LED 4K Ultra HD TV (2160p). It costed me the same as my regular 1080p LED tv when they first came out $2,500. Best buy sells the 4k TVs for a reasonable price now. I also got Total Recall and The Amazing Spiderman. Both looked even better then the regular versions of Blu ray. The difference to me was like NBA 2k14 on the XboxOne and Ps4 compared to Xbox360 and Ps3. Only down side is i don't think any cable services can broadcast anything that high of quality.
You're right, that's roughly the same price depending on how big your TV is which you didn't mention. Of course when you can buy a Samsung 1080p LED for like 800 or 900 bucks now...is the picture $1,700 better?

Yeah, and as I said, they're a waste of money because if this 4k format actually succeeds then anyone buying these discs are simply going to replace their movies yet AGAIN with a REAL 4k disc. Had you actually read the post you would have seen that nugget. Why do I get the feeling that you work for the movie industry in some way?
Not sure how you got I didn't read your post from my comment, but anyway this is a deal forum not for people ranting about stuff. If you have a deal to post great, otherwise stfu.

You're right, that's roughly the same price depending on how big your TV is which you didn't mention. Of course when you can buy a Samsung 1080p LED for like 800 or 900 bucks now...is the picture $1,700 better?
Well no lol its not that much better. But i also didnt buy a LED tv 800-900 bucks i got one when they first came out. Its almost like im future proofing myself. Thats like saying is it worth buying a new computer with a new processor,motherboard and video card. Over buying a 5 year old computer with outdated specs.

Well no lol its not that much better. But i also didnt buy a LED tv 800-900 bucks i got one when they first came out. Its almost like im future proofing myself. Thats like saying is it worth buying a new computer with a new processor,motherboard and video card. Over buying a 5 year old computer with outdated specs.
I bought a 32" Sony LCD in 2006 for like $2,000. Then last year I bought a 55" LED Panasonic with passive 3D and apps for $1,000. I'm not sure I'd call my original $2,000 purchase as future proofing. I wanted it because I wanted HD content. There's nothing wrong with buying something you want but who knows what the future will bring. For all I know, 10 years from now you might go to the hardware store and buy drywall with TV screens built into it and turns your entire wall into a screen.

I bought a 32" Sony LCD in 2006 for like $2,000. Then last year I bought a 55" LED Panasonic with passive 3D and apps for $1,000. I'm not sure I'd call my original $2,000 purchase as future proofing. I wanted it because I wanted HD content. There's nothing wrong with buying something you want but who knows what the future will bring. For all I know, 10 years from now you might go to the hardware store and buy drywall with TV screens built into it and turns your entire wall into a screen.
I agree with that we have no idea which way technology will go in the next 10 years. The 4k tv i got was a 55 inch for 2500. the tv i bought before that was a LCD 52 inch for the same price also dont remember when i got it probably back in 2007.

bread's done
Back