Blue Dragon $9.85

Muthafodder

Banned
Just found this game, looks nice, figure my son would enjoy watching me play.
This sold me on it: "Mistwalker is a creative company founded by Hironobu Sakaguchi, the original developer of Final Fantasy."

Shipped $9.85

Nice thing about entering the XBOX market late...cheap games. :)

Blue Dragon

I've said it before but I thought this game was terrible. I bought it for less than that and felt like i overpaid.

Bland Toriyama characters, forgettable plot, a battle system from the 90s, completely barren worlds that you'll only explore in the hopes of finding something shiny, what I'd seriously call the most hideous boss music ever composed and MARUMARO. I had been looking forward to this game a lot for the Sakiguchi pedigree it but threw in the towel somewhere on the second or third disc.

On the plus side, $10 maybe isn't bad for 4 frisbees.

I have not played this game in three years. Picked it up for free when I got Oblivion GOTY. Not that good. Might get back into it eventually, but I have good RPGs to play.

The game is decent. But I would say that this is a child's final fantasy. I mean that in the fact that if you are above the age of 5 your brain will cringe at most if not all of the dialogue and some of the characters (as it has been said, marumaro).

Other than that the story, game play, and overall feel of the game is decent. $10 definitely isn't bad for the game (if i'm not mistaken I paid less), but don't expect the same quality of the other games the developers (or leads) have worked on. And with all that said, I do plan on playing through it for a second time (although that is because there is new game+ and harder difficulty levels).

Then again, never expect the same quality from any game in which a developer (or a group) left and then went on to make a similar style game. It is almost always worse...

60+ reviews on Amazon...4 star average.

I'm looking forward to it...watched the trailer 3 times and loved the music.

I'm a fan of Final Fantasy series, but I hated this game. Part of the problem was being bored (game is way too easy for veterans of RPG), but the biggest problem was one of the main characters who has the most annoying voice (think Jar-Jar Binx but higher pitch). I couldn't take that voice anymore and stopped playing after putting in about 5 hrs (he's not introduced until part way through, which is how I made it that long).

[quote name='Muthafodder']60+ reviews on Amazon...4 star average.

I'm looking forward to it...watched the trailer 3 times and loved the music.[/QUOTE]

Generally the music is fine, if nothing special. But when selecting that boss theme Sakiguchi and co must have gone temporarily insane.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCNyNmuFSlw
Obviously taste varies, but this is the ugliest thing I've ever found in a Square related product.

[quote name='looploop']Generally the music is fine, if nothing special. But when selecting that boss theme Sakiguchi and co must have gone temporarily insane.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCNyNmuFSlw
Obviously taste varies, but this is the ugliest thing I've ever found in a Square related product.[/QUOTE]

Woof that is bad.

I didn't think it was bad, just far too easy. If you want a straight-forward JRPG you can do a lot worse. They just needed a difficulty between the normal super easy mode and the new-game+ extra hard mode.

Blue Dragon isn't in the top-tier of this generation's RPGs, but it's a beautiful-looking game with solid gameplay. It's very traditional, as this was Mistwalker's ode to Dragon Quest, but you're getting a ton of game for $10. Also, I think the boss theme is absolutely awesome :)

From a pure gameplay standpoint, this is actually probably my favorite JRPG of the generation since it has FFX's battle system and FFV's job system, both with some nice minor tweaks. Everything else about the game is kind of ass, though, so if you don't love the battle system and job system like I did, you probably won't like the game.

Also, boss battle music :D!

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']The $10 you'd waste on this game would be better put towards FF13, Magna Carta2, ToV or Lost Odyssey.[/QUOTE]

I haven't played Magna Carta, but I enjoyed playing Blue Dragon more than all those games except for Tales of Vesperia. Lost Odyssey just being a matter of taste, FF13 just being a game I think is awful and the worst game in the Final Fantasy series by far (though I haven't played FFII JP).

Really didn't like this game, but if you are going to play it please download the "ultra hard mod" for free so you can change the difficulty level, the default setting is WAY too easy.

I wouldn't let my kids watch this game at all, the main characters are kids and very whiny.

[quote name='MegaKungFuRadio']

I haven't played Magna Carta, but I enjoyed playing Blue Dragon more than all those games except for Tales of Vesperia. Lost Odyssey just being a matter of taste, FF13 just being a game I think is awful and the worst game in the Final Fantasy series by far (though I haven't played FFII JP).[/QUOTE]

I don't like any of those games but would play them in a heartbeat over Blue Dragon. It's the text book definition of a cookie cutter jrpg with a slow, tedious and utterly brain dead combat system. Sorry, not trying to be an ass, it's just that me and that game got history and it's all bad.

I have to disagree with most people here, I really enjoyed the game. The battle system may be from the 90's.. that's why it's awesome. The game itself may be easy but it is one of the hardest games to get all of the achievements in. After my first playthrough I had a whole 30g and that was doing most if not all of the sidequests.

[quote name='Muthafodder']60+ reviews on Amazon...4 star average.

I'm looking forward to it...watched the trailer 3 times and loved the music.[/QUOTE]

Don't listen to the haters. I preordered this game and paid the full $60 for it (granted with trade-in credit at Gamecrazy). I thoroughly enjoyed it - put in over 100 hours and got the 1000/1000 on it.

My only regret is that it did drop pretty quickly after release. However, this was one of the few times where I actually played it when I first got it so at least it didn't drop in value before I even opened it. I can't say the same for many other highly-acclaimed games that I also wish I had waited for (stares at my sealed Arkham Asylum, sealed Uncharted 3, played once Zelda OoT 3D, etc...).

I liked this game a lot...thought it was nice simple JRPG fun.

That said, it's always $9.99 used at Gamestop, $9 with PUR...so this isn't exactly a deal you'd have to jump on.

Small tip for the voice acting -- switch to Japanese the first chance you get. It's at least a little better.

I'd also agree on using the ultra hard mod -- after playing through with it and finding very few challenging parts, I can't see playing without it.

Some other seller on Amazon is selling it sealed for $1.95, not sure if I should bite. I picked up the DS game for $10 at Target, which seems alright, so the Xbox version can't be that terrible, right?

I heard Lost Oddyssey was much better?

Lost Odyssey is infinitely better. Even though I have not played it in a while (got stuck on a part and then went back to finish college), I would recommend it. I just bought DLC for it, so I hope to get back to it.

[quote name='binici']
I heard Lost Oddyssey was much better?[/QUOTE]

If you like traditional JRPGs, for all that's good and bad about them, then yes, LO Is the better product.

Lost Odyssey is a good game but I can't stand the random encounters that crop up every two steps. Blue Dragon has the HUGE advantage of being able to see (and avoid if you want) enemies on the field. You also get a shield spell later in the game that lets you "bump off" (by running into) weaker enemies so if you are exploring an older area for treasure you don't have to deal with enemies at all (and you even get some XP from it).

Lost Odyssey is the best unknown jrpg i ever played, It truly one of the only game that made me cry like a little girl amazing story . You wont be disappointment

I've got Blue Dragon, but never made it around to playing it. I always thought it looked cool.
Isn't BD the game where you can get 2 enemies into the same battle circle, and if they don't like each other, they will fight each other instead of you?

[quote name='io']Lost Odyssey is a good game but I can't stand the random encounters that crop up every two steps. Blue Dragon has the HUGE advantage of being able to see (and avoid if you want) enemies on the field. You also get a shield spell later in the game that lets you "bump off" (by running into) weaker enemies so if you are exploring an older area for treasure you don't have to deal with enemies at all (and you even get some XP from it).[/QUOTE]

Mystic Quest was my favorite Final Fantasy game...I'm guessing I will enjoy this even more then and I'm sure my 6 month old will enjoy the animation.

My interest peaked for this game because it is different, not every game needs to be a grind fest, hard core game.

Lost Odyssey doesn't interest me in the slightest, these videos look boring and the story seems ho hum...neither of these videos can touch the one in the OP in my opinion. Sure the cgi looks OK, but also flat. And lmao at those that would prefer the music in the second video over any in the above posts (skip to 0:40 for the lulz)

Who'd of thought Blue Dragon would be so polarizing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2c2SzpWx5c&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxKcg38u3CM&feature=related

bread's done
Back