Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata

weisskrutz

CAGiversary!
Ive been hearing mixed reviews about these 2 rpgs, but I would rather hear it from people in this forum instead of postings on amazon and newegg. Are they worth getting?

Blue Dragon takes a LONG time to start getting good, but overall it is a fun but not great game. If you play a lot of RPG games, skip it for now as many elements will seem repetitive and old. If you LOVE RPG games pick it up but not before Eternal Sonata. I would give it maybe a HIGH 6 low 7 out of 10.

Eternal Sonata is a solid 8 out of 10 game. Not a must-have, but for the price it is at a worthy purchase.

Remember when it comes to RPG games, you almost always have to add about 1 point to the review score. One of the reviewers in EGM gave Final Fantasy 4 (the one they called Final Fantasy 2 in the USA) a 7 out of 10 when that game came out, and it is one of the greatest games of all time.

I would highly recommend checking out the demos of these games on the Xbox Live Marketplace, (at least for Eternal Sonata) it serves as a really good indication of how the game plays out.

I tried the demo for Blue Dragon and felt it was 'too Japanese' for me. They don't give you a clear direction of where you need to go, how combat works... etc. I found it rather boring, so I did not pick it up. I've also heard that there is a fair amount if grinding you need to do, that may be your thing or may not.

Eternal Sonata however, had a great demo. It quickly introduced you into the game mechanics, not overwhelming you and the combat was very fast paced.

Eternal Sonata Pros :
-Incredibly cute characters, with some rather funny interaction between them.
-Really great voice acting even if the story telling is a little bit heavy handed at times.
-Fast paced combat, many times you can kill the enemy before they even get a turn.
-Beautiful graphics.
-Lasts about 20 hours, there isn't a lot of busy work here so most of that time will be exploring new things and talking to new people.

Eternal Sonata Cons :
-If you're into collecting achievements this game has really bad ones. You get around 120 for beating the game (and maybe another 100 for doing optional stuff). The rest of the 700 or so require that you play the game through again at a harder difficulty.
-The balance is a little uneven. The first playthrough you will probably be able to waltz over anything without a challenge. The second playthrough will require quite a bit of grinding on certain spots with weaker characters.
-The story breaks down near the end. The first 5 or 6 chapters set up real interesting character dynamics and are really great, but the last chapter or two start to break down letting to a disappointing conclusion.

Having said that, if you can find Eternal Sonata for 20 bucks on Xbox 360, I would jump at it without thinking twice!

For $10 on Newegg, Blue Dragon is definitely worth it. Yes, the characters are a bit annoying and the dialogue is terrible, but it's a pretty fun turn based RPG.

Blue Dragon is pleasing to look at but I didn't enjoy it pretty much at all. The abandoned hospital had a really cool atmosphere and besides the graphics, that's about all I enjoyed out of it.

I have never played Blue Dragon so I cannot give you an opinion on that. I was turned away by the reviews just as it appears you are.

For Eternal Sonata, it was a mixed bag for me. The combat was great, the graphics are phenomenal, and the story is just bizarre enough to keep you into it. But they are very very very very very Japanese characters. The high pitched voices for all of the pre-pubescent girls make every cut scene somewhat painful. For me it felt almost high school play-esque in its ridiculousness, but the game itself is a great RPG.

The art and gameplay of Blue Dragon are pretty good. I found the characters extremely boring and kiddie (OMG Shu and Jiro both like Kluke!!). The battles are all very easy, so even though there is a lot of customization, you can pretty much one shot or two shot every enemy.

Eternal Sonata looks great and art design is also great. Bizarre design choices. Dungeons are fight the same enemy over and over. The story and characters come off like a history channel program (historical, very slow, long winded dialogue).

For reference, I loved Lost Odyssey and tales of vesperia. And I thought SO4 was pretty good.

Only played the Blue Dragon demo, and wasn't a fan, but I will play it before passing judgment. For what it's worth, everyone I talked to said it was enjoyable, nothing amazing, but probably worth a playthrough if you have nothing else to play or craving a new JRPG.

I'm halfway through Eternal Sonata and haven't picked it up in awhile because it was pretty boring. I'm not a huge RPG fan or anything, but there wasn't really anything that got me into the game. The graphics are great, fighting isn't too bad, the story and characters are pretty entertaining, but there's just something about it that didn't get me hooked like some RPGs do.

They're both between $10-20 now, so it wouldn't really be a big mistake if you bought it and didn't like it. I'd say both are definitely worth a playthrough for that price.

[quote name='wakawakawa']The art and gameplay of Blue Dragon are pretty good. I found the characters extremely boring and kiddie (OMG Shu and Jiro both like Kluke!!). The battles are all very easy, so even though there is a lot of customization, you can pretty much one shot or two shot every enemy.

Eternal Sonata looks great and art design is also great. Bizarre design choices. Dungeons are fight the same enemy over and over. The story and characters come off like a history channel program (historical, very slow, long winded dialogue).

For reference, I loved Lost Odyssey and tales of vesperia. And I thought SO4 was pretty good.[/QUOTE]

I LOVED LOST ODYSSEY. It has been awhile since I came across an RPG that actually had me hooked. Just doesnt seem like Xbox has the RPG scene yet, seems like I have to decide on what sub par rpg to buy. But everyone thank you for all your help :D

I think both games are fantastic and well worth playing for any RPG fan.

Blue Dragon is just solid old school fun, if that's your thing. If you're expecting a more modern RPG experience, I'd look elsewhere.

As for Eternal Sonata, I think it's one of the most underappreciated games of this generation. Granted, I have the PS3 version, but I found it not only engaging but utterly charming and addictive. This comes with the huge caveat that it definitely fits the cutesy JRPG mold. Now I don't mind that at all, but if it's not your thing, you've been warned.

Blue Dragon is a lot like Dragon Quest games except a bit more kiddie. I still haven't played Eternal Sonata at all but I have basically heard the combat is kinda fun but otherwise its very average.

My first RPG that I ever played & beat was Chrono Cross on the PS1. The second? Lost Odyssey! Great game! But make sure you have about 50 hrs to waste.

[quote name='freshzen']Blue Dragon is a lot like Dragon Quest games except a bit more kiddie. I still haven't played Eternal Sonata at all but I have basically heard the combat is kinda fun but otherwise its very average.[/QUOTE]

The combat is addictive. The story - it really depends on whether you can stomach JRPG stories or not. Some people found the Chopin parts boring but I found them fascinating, and for the most part the characters weren't too obnoxious (except for a certain young lady in a pirate hat).

[quote name='freshzen']Blue Dragon is a lot like Dragon Quest games except a bit more kiddie. I still haven't played Eternal Sonata at all but I have basically heard the combat is kinda fun but otherwise its very average.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... Maybe that's why I liked Blue Dragon so much - not for the kiddie part but because it is a bit like Dragon Quest. That never occurred to me, really, but I can kind of see it now and DQ VIII was my favorite game of last gen.

I have owned Eternal Sonata for a while now but haven't broken it out yet. Maybe after I finish Oblivion ;).

To whoever said the BD demo was bad because it didn't give you any direction or tell you about combat that speaks more to the quality of the demo rather than the game itself. When you play from the beginning it isn't like that. Also, one thing that should be noted is that Blue Dragon does not have random encounters. You can see and avoid (or engage) enemies as you please. And once you get to be a high enough level you can literally "bump" off the enemies simply by running into them without having to go into the turn-based battle screen which makes backtracking and searching for hidden items much quicker. While I love Lost Odyssey as well, the random encounters in that game were a real drag after playing Blue Dragon.

And Blue Dragon would require next to no grinding simply to barrel through the story. If you want to get 1000/1000 achievements, then, yeah, it requires grinding (since you have to level up all the characters). But note that the ability to "bump" enemies automatically helps greatly in doing this. I would just set the game up, sit on an island where golden poo snakes (yes, that is the "slime" of this game ;)) spawn, and have my party rack up the kills for a few hours while I did something else. You have to keep the game from pausing and have to press a button when someone learns a new skill, but it went way faster than levelling up in, say, Lost Odyssey.

Having played and beaten both, I would say they are both solid games and worth a play through if you enjoy RPGs. Under $20 they are a must have, both have very good high level content to keep you playing a few more hours until putting them away.

Blue dragon I think took me about 70 hours to beat the game and get most side quest done. Eternal sonata took about 40 or so I think having cleared the extra dungeon.

[quote name='wizard341']I would highly recommend checking out the demos of these games on the Xbox Live Marketplace, (at least for Eternal Sonata) it serves as a really good indication of how the game plays out.

Eternal Sonata Pros :
-Incredibly cute characters, with some rather funny interaction between them.
-Really great voice acting even if the story telling is a little bit heavy handed at times.
-Fast paced combat, many times you can kill the enemy before they even get a turn.
-Beautiful graphics.
-Lasts about 20 hours, there isn't a lot of busy work here so most of that time will be exploring new things and talking to new people.

Eternal Sonata Cons :
-If you're into collecting achievements this game has really bad ones. You get around 120 for beating the game (and maybe another 100 for doing optional stuff). The rest of the 700 or so require that you play the game through again at a harder difficulty.
-The balance is a little uneven. The first playthrough you will probably be able to waltz over anything without a challenge. The second playthrough will require quite a bit of grinding on certain spots with weaker characters.
-The story breaks down near the end. The first 5 or 6 chapters set up real interesting character dynamics and are really great, but the last chapter or two start to break down letting to a disappointing conclusion.

Having said that, if you can find Eternal Sonata for 20 bucks on Xbox 360, I would jump at it without thinking twice![/QUOTE]
Amen to this. He has hit the nail on the head.

I never played Blue Dragon, because it also looked to 'kiddie' for me. It looked like that one PS2 game Okage The Shadow King (Which WAS AWFUL!!!) I enjoyed Eternal Sonata.

Here's a con:
You don't really know who is the main character is in the game. Seriously.
There's hardly to no back story to any characters.
The ending for the game has confused EVERYONE!

But the game is pretty good. I enjoyed it.

I haven't played Eternal Sonata yet, but I enjoyed Blue Dragon. It took me a little bit to get into it, but I enjoyed it. It isn't the best RPG made, but it isn't the worst either. The grinding isn't necessary unless you want to get the full 1000gs out of it. I beat the game and was satisifed with the 150-200gs that I got. I didn't want to grind away to get the rest.

bread's done
Back