Blue screen error, any help would be great

Calamityuponthee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
45 (100%)
Backround: My computer is old, but gets the job done. All i really use it for is browsing the internet and some odds and ends. Nothing dramatic. It's a 1.6 P4 from 2001.

I generally take care of it, but it's definitely been showing signs of it's age lately.

Recent:
My girlfriend downloaded something from lego.com (yeah, the building block). I came home and saw it was screwed. The download killed it, but i'm sure it might have happened sooner or later anyways.

It loads up windows, and a few seconds before it gets to the login screen it blue screens with this error:

Paging_error_in_nonpaged_area

I've done my research and eliminated some possibilites, but i'd like to make sure my harddrive is screwed before I lose all my data and reformat it.

I've done chkdsk, removed my ram and put it back, ect.

I noticed my radeon 9700s fan stopped working, not sure if this would cause this error but if it does, would be nice to know so I don't have to reformat.

I've narrowed it down to two possibilities: My video card, or my harddrive's current status.

Any help would be great. I'm about to reformat it, just want to make sure I'm not losing all my data in vein.

if you got xp on it, do a roll back and see if that fixes it..but then again it could be the hard drive going.

[quote name='ITDEFX']if you got xp on it, do a roll back and see if that fixes it..but then again it could be the hard drive going.[/QUOTE]

Can't get into XP, crashes before the login screen. Would have tried that, but i'm limited to using dos or reformating unless it's a hardware issue.

Forgot to mention safe mode also doesn't work at any capacity.

[quote name='Calamityuponthee']Can't get into XP, crashes before the login screen. Would have tried that, but i'm limited to using dos or reformating unless it's a hardware issue.

Forgot to mention safe mode also doesn't work at any capacity.[/quote]

oh

if you can't even get into safe mode (F6 I think?) and if you don't have the original boot cd, you might be screwed :(

[quote name='whoknows']You don't get the option to "start windows with last configuration that worked" or something like that?[/QUOTE]

Yep, tried that. Tried every option that screen had. None worked.

[quote name='ITDEFX']oh

if you can't even get into safe mode (F6 I think?) and if you don't have the original boot cd, you might be screwed :([/QUOTE]

Screwed as in buy a new computer or screwed as in reformat?

well there are always other options.
like taking your hard drive and putting it in another pc to see if it works.

also while installing xp there is the option to replace the windows files but leave the other data intact.as for the video card 9700 runs hot , it has to have the fan working or else bad things happen if you have any compatible video cards laying around i suggest trying that first . it sounds to me that your pc is crashing just as the video card switches modes and starts using power from the power connection and starts heating up since you have no fan poof it flakes out on ya .

bread's done
Back