Blueray and hd dvd aka umd and lazerdisk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skelah

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I must point out that alot of us were complaining about companys double dipping dvd's but then some of you turned around and bought into the greatest double dip of them all.

Id like to hear some disagreements I supose the greatest is people want quality..but im sure nobody wants a collection of lazerdisk coasters on display when the format you picked dies off.

:hot:

Both formats are already much more successful than laserdisc or UMD. Everyone is always debating which is winning without noticing that both are doing really well. Much better than expected, I would guess. Both are viable for at least another year. If one does win, it will be blu ray, but both could very well survive until the next format comes along. As for double dipping: that's simple, I'm not. I'm only rebuying those that need to be. I bought Happy Gilmore on HD because the DVD was Pan and Scan. Ick. I bought the Matrix Trilogy on HD because I didn't have the third movie on DVD and I got it for $13. I got Blazing Saddles on Blu Ray for free (was supposed to be something else. Can't remember what now). I bought Superman II on HD because it was the cut of the film that should have always existed. I have around 80 HD/BR titles and those are the only ones I've previously owned. Well, I have Purple Rain on Laser (and bought it on BR), but I never bought it on DVD. And it was on sale...

I buy whatever movies on whatever format they appear on. The only thing I'm kind of upset at companies starting to do is release the 3rd or 4th of a series on a hi-def format but not release the older ones in that format. I will continue to buy the dvds for something like that. I'm gonna buy stuff on dvd that I feel didn't deserve a hi-def edition anyway.

Probably not.

The actual size (obviously not capacity wise) of both Blu-Ray and HD discs are the same as DVD. I believe both format will continue to grow. UMD is simply *stupid* in my opinion seeing as though it's such a specific product for such a specific player (not everyone wants a PSP). Well, the laser disc is simply bulky.

Whether one wins out or both dies off, I don't know. The price for either Blu-Ray or HD needs to significantly drop for mass consumer response. I will stick with my trusted DVDs for now. I don't plan to revamp my collection any time soon.

Select titles limited to one format automatically kills the move even if dual players are available and affordable. I don't want to stockpile two "product." It'll have to be either Blu-Ray OR HD. It would be easier if manufacturers would distribute their titles on both format.

Disney supports Blu-Ray. Seeing as though I love animation, Blu-Ray would get the nod. Losing out on titles specific to HD would be something that I will have to deal with (but the losing end will eventually allocate their titles to the winning format for distribution anyways). If it wasn't for Disney, I'd probably be leaning towards HD; I don't really have an answer for why.

I might have to take a close look at Blu-Ray versus HD sale figures.

There really doesn't need to be a winner. Just manufactuers with the common sense to saturate the market with only dual format players instead of rolling the dice in this giant pissing contest.

Tripled about the wrong forum. And UMD and "lazerdisk," OP? Are you high? If comparable to any format wars, it would be VHS and Beta.

[quote name='Javil']Tripled about the wrong forum. And UMD and "lazerdisk," OP? Are you high? If comparable to any format wars, it would be VHS and Beta.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't even compare it to that.

There is no real physical difference between the two so a (cheap) combo player is just a stones throw away.

First I wouldn't compare Blu-Ray and HD-DVD to the failed UMD and laserdisk formats. Second I don't think of my Blu-Rays as double dipping since it provides me with a completely different viewing experience. I call it that because with the discs and my TV, I get a clearer, albeit smaller picture than I can get in the theatres.

I wouldn't say Laserdisc (not laserdisk) failed, it just never gained the broad market penetration that DVD had. I still have mine and the format had a longer run than DVD before it's replacements arrived.

The discs were quite large and hard to store (LP sized) and everywhere I lived (except Atlanta) only had 1 store per town that sold or rented them. You also had to flip them in the middle of the movie unless you had a premium model. And don't get us LD owners started on the whole CLV vs. CAV thing. It still beat buying VHS since they never wore out, although there was laser-rot/disc-rot.

[quote name='widgetraf']Both will die out to digital downloads eventually. :D[/QUOTE]

High-def downloads? People don't have the storage

It hasn't stopped people from buying cd's has it, digital downloads. I wonder if physical cd sales are down since itunes has become a big deal. I think dvd's are different then music where people really like physical copies. Music is different cause I have so much of it physical copies isn't possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back