blur - Gen. Discussion & Info

one thing im not liking. getting 3 boosts in multiple races in the first instance of the match in a row, getting THE fastlap as well. and still getting in the last like 14 place

it makes no sense. guy(s) should not catch up to me after i just used 3 boosts in a row and have a astounding lead and im "not screwing up" (power-up benefit at beginning)

I don't know what you guys are talking about, I've taken the lead multiple times and have been a good 5+ seconds ahead of everyone else.

Ran a few runs on the demo and have to admit, I can't imagine forking over anything close to full price for this one. Looks like SPLIT SECOND will be the way to go for me at least.

Agreed on Split Second.

I was moderately impressed with blur, but it seems that someone just decided to make Wipeout with cars and didn't add any ingenuity into the concept.

Its not awful, but it reminds me kind of how Need for Speed Shift launched right around the same time as Forza. Split Second, while basing this purely on game journalism, sounds a LOT more fun.

I need to look into Split Second, but I had fun with the public beta of Blur and will be getting it. I might wait for a price drop, though. Not sure. $10 gift card from amazon and walmart might sway me to pre-order, but I wish it were $20. :)

I pre-ordered from Gamestop along with Deathsmiles to get 25% off $100. Made the cost under $50 after tax. I've enjoyed the beta quite a bit and that's with only a handful of tracks and no single player mode, etc. I think I'll get my value out of it.

Incidentally, is the Public Demo different from the Beta? I was looking to see if there was a new download, but all it tells me is that I've already downloaded the public beta.

playing with a friend makes this game ten times better

we kept asking were each other was and going after each other when close

in the last match we had tonight i was in first he was in first and we kept trading near the last turn. he hit me with something, i hit him with a ball and we ended the race SO close (i won) that the game gave us both first place, and then it gave it to me. i couldnt see the time. but i swear i probably beat him by #:##.01

i really don't think ANYONE bought this game, or at least anyone i talk to.
i hope the online isnt dead, because i really enjoyed the BETA. i would love to get this game in a few months, if not now, but if online is dead, there's no point for me.

Mine's arriving from Amazon tomorrow. I don't see why people wouldn't buy this, the beta was awesome! Can't wait to start wrecking some cars tomorrow.

I would of bought it if there was a good deal on it somewhere, the best deals were only $10 gift cards. Plus I already have RDR and Alan Wake from the week before.

I might pick it up sooner rather than later though since nothing else is getting released that interests me until September.

a skilled player with a skilled buddy can totally sadly boost this Sh**

in this one room there were 20 of us and the same guy won like 100 times.. when he didn't win. it was his buddy. and his buddy never fell past 3rd place

it was annoying as sh**. at the start of the match. you could see him just travel past everyone even if he started in the back with the same car.

[quote name='timesplitt']a skilled player with a skilled buddy can totally sadly boost this Sh**

in this one room there were 20 of us and the same guy won like 100 times.. when he didn't win. it was his buddy. and his buddy never fell past 3rd place

it was annoying as sh**. at the start of the match. you could see him just travel past everyone even if he started in the back with the same car.[/QUOTE]

Maybe they were just better racers than everyone else...why didn't one of you hit them with a powerup or something before they passed the 18 of you to get back to the front?

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']Ran a few runs on the demo and have to admit, I can't imagine forking over anything close to full price for this one. Looks like SPLIT SECOND will be the way to go for me at least.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I went with Split Second as well mainly due to the fact that I'm limited to the single player and that I don't want to be harassed by 19 other AI drivers.

[quote name='life.exe']Maybe they were just better racers than everyone else...why didn't one of you hit them with a powerup or something before they passed the 18 of you to get back to the front?[/QUOTE]

trust me. i picked up those homing black/red balls and within a few minutes I'd find myself behind them once again . its like boxing with a guy and knocking him out only for his mother to come in punching with a shoe and then him getting back up to punch. and that not even counting the random guys behind me throwing **** my way. half the players in the game don't give a **** if youre in 18th they just care to get one place higher and they don't think to stop that guy who keeps winning. id have "buddy" attacking me from the front, while the other guy took the lead, and a third and 4th guy beating me up to take my place (the situation being no better/different with them there!)

I was so impressed by the demo that I bought this on release day, and I NEVER do that. The only other time I've ever bought a game on release day/week is Mario Kart Wii (perhaps not coincidentally), because I'm a huge fan of that series.

As far as I'm concerned, this may be the best game of the year...the Goldeneye 007 of 2010.

[quote name='Cheapskate']I was so impressed by the demo that I bought this on release day, and I NEVER do that. The only other time I've ever bought a game on release day/week is Mario Kart Wii (perhaps not coincidentally), because I'm a huge fan of that series.

As far as I'm concerned, this may be the best game of the year...the Goldeneye 007 of 2010.[/QUOTE]I wouldn't start handing out GotY awards or anything, but I can't see this game getting old for me. It's just too much fun.

got 90+ ppl on my friends list and nobody has been playing this...it's been red dead for everybody for the most part.

Glad I didn't pre-order.

While I don't have either (yet), I wouldn't be too worried if people aren't playing this online at the moment. Like you said with RDR, people are playing that. With that being a 'story' game, eventually people would stop and go with a game that focuses on the multiplayer. At least, in theory. It's why Madden / Halo / CoD are so popular for example.

Got it yesterday and played a few hours at night...man this game is good. My favorite racer period.

When you take the lead, it's fucking hard to stay there, out of 30+ matches I played I have yet to win 1st...I need to unlock the mods I had in the beta, then I think I'll be good to go.

My copy is coming from gamestop. Probably a lot of people ordered the game from gamestop when the 25% and/ or 25%+10% discounts applied, like I did, and chose slow boat shipping. Well, even when it arrives I won't get to play it - my wife is going to give it to me for Fathers day. Also I've got RDR right now. :)

My sis pre-ordered from GS as well, hers should be arriving today...as for the pre-order code, they shipped it!? I wonder why they didn't just email the code...so now the code should arrive sometime next week...weak.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Got it yesterday and played a few hours at night...man this game is good. My favorite racer period.

When you take the lead, it's fucking hard to stay there, out of 30+ matches I played I have yet to win 1st...I need to unlock the mods I had in the beta, then I think I'll be good to go.[/QUOTE]Those were some fun-ass races we had last night. I just think there's a certain few cars you need in order to stay up front and, like you mentioned, a few mods to boost your survivability and offensive/defensive powerups. I only got 5 wins out of 37 races, I think. It felt like any time I got up front people started hoarding the Lightning powerups and I had to dodge 12+ electric fields while fending off the usual Shunts and what not. I seem to remember you doing well on the beach-style tracks.

Next time I'll have to get you in the chat. Half the fun is hearing someone else who's in first that thinks they are about to win the race, when all the sudden they get wrecked and someone else passes them up at the end - and the swearing and controller tossing that follows :)

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Those were some fun-ass races we had last night. I just think there's a certain few cars you need in order to stay up front and, like you mentioned, a few mods to boost your survivability and offensive/defensive powerups. I only got 5 wins out of 37 races, I think. It felt like any time I got up front people started hoarding the Lightning powerups and I had to dodge 12+ electric fields while fending off the usual Shunts and what not. I seem to remember you doing well on the beach-style tracks.

Next time I'll have to get you in the chat. Half the fun is hearing someone else who's in first that thinks they are about to win the race, when all the sudden they get wrecked and someone else passes them up at the end - and the swearing and controller tossing that follows :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah it was a blast play with you an EvilX...we kinda had a grudge match in almost every race. I noticed you took me out a couple times too...bastard! :lol:

I had my headset, I couldn't hear you, I figured you were in party chat with EvilX or you just had it off, I'm down next time dude, hopefully I get to play for a while again tonight. Also my sis will be getting her game today, so she'll be on.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Yeah it was a blast play with you an EvilX...we kinda had a grudge match in almost every race. I noticed you took me out a couple times too...bastard! :lol:

I had my headset, I couldn't hear you, I figured you were in party chat with EvilX or you just had it off, I'm down next time dude, hopefully I get to play for a while again tonight. Also my sis will be getting her game today, so she'll be on.[/QUOTE]:lol: I can admit there were a few times where I'd come flying up on you (or vice-versa) and I'd have a nice Barge waiting to shove you out of the way. However, there were a few races (especially on Barcelona tracks) where I'd be in the back and I'd make my way up to you and a guy who was fucking around with you and I'd shoot Bolts at him to get him off your back and I even took one guy completely out. So, I can help sometimes :cool:

I was in a private chat with him - I tend to get the noisy, annoying people whenever I enter a new session and end up going into a private chat just to not be able to hear them. If I see you (and/or Gizmo) online, then I'll send out invite(s) - it's much more fun that way.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']:lol: I can admit there were a few times where I'd come flying up on you (or vice-versa) and I'd have a nice Barge waiting to shove you out of the way. However, there were a few races (especially on Barcelona tracks) where I'd be in the back and I'd make my way up to you and a guy who was fucking around with you and I'd shoot Bolts at him to get him off your back and I even took one guy completely out. So, I can help sometimes :cool:

I was in a private chat with him - I tend to get the noisy, annoying people whenever I enter a new session and end up going into a private chat just to not be able to hear them. If I see you (and/or Gizmo) online, then I'll send out invite(s) - it's much more fun that way.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't aware you were that tactical...thanks for the help I guess :lol: I tend to be trigger happy and just shoot, but I'll keep that in mind for next time we play ;)

I'll be on the headset for sure, my sis for some reason doesn't like to talk online, but since it's you maybe she'll make an exception.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']My sis pre-ordered from GS as well, hers should be arriving today...as for the pre-order code, they shipped it!? I wonder why they didn't just email the code...so now the code should arrive sometime next week...weak.[/QUOTE]

My game is suppose to arrive today, and the "token" is shipping separately, shipped today. My hope is that they are sending us a gift card instead of a coupon. That would be an improvement (doesn't interfere with other coupons). Keeping fingers crossed.

The token is in game DLC/unlock code though...so not sure why you're expecting a gift card. It was something along the lines of extra fans for the first few races and some mod kits that were unlocked up front.

EDIT: Found it
o Exclusive Multiplayer Advantage Booster Kito This GameStop exclusive Booster Kit gives you unparalleled multiplayer benefits:
§ § § § Unlock a heavy, off-road powerhouse – the Ford Bronco in Multiplayer and shunt the competition into the next millennium!
§ § § § Survival Multiplayer Mode (Last Man Standing) – a mode where survival and causing the most destruction wins the battle.​
o Double Fans for the first ten multiplayer races increases your upgrades, power-ups and additional car abilities!
§ § § § More fans mean a sustained ability to earn cash to buy upgrades, power-up slots and cars.
Oh, and now I realize that there was a $10 off future credit as well...my bad.

Hmm...I have a 12% off RZ member coupon, 15.00 in RZ certs and if I buy the game I get a 10.00 gas card sent to my house.

Trying to justify a purchase :lol:

Did you play the beta a while back? If you enjoyed it just go for it. This game delivers an experience I haven't really found in racing games before, it really gets you into the game, and your adrenaline starts pumping as you inch your way to first place. It's pretty sick.

This is the only racing game that I don't give up on because I stink at it. I did two online races for Split/Second and gave up. I just wasn't having fun. Blur is great because it isn't all about coming in first. I have fun just using the powerups, getting fans and ranking up.

The best I've done in a big race was second place. I had one race where I was in 1st for almost all of the last lap. Like 10-15 seconds from the finish, I got knocked back to like 5th. That was the most annoyed I've been with the game. I do have a couple 1st place finishes, but those were when I was in races where there was only like 4 of us for some reason. I typically come in 7th to 12th place in 20 person races.

Finally won a race last night out of God knows how many. No matter how crappy I'm doing in a race, there's still a lot of excitement and its just loads of fun.

For me, an actual demo would have gone a long way... I missed the MP beta that was only for a limited time, and went with Split / Second over Blur because one had a demo I enjoyed, and one was a complete blind buy.

I think they made a big mistake doing a timed beta and not a demo as well, but that's just me. If anyone would put it on sale, I'd probably check it out though.

Is MP really active? Seems like no one on any forum I frequent talks about this game at all.

[quote name='animalspinners']
Is MP really active? Seems like no one on any forum I frequent talks about this game at all.[/QUOTE]I've never had a problem finding a room at least 50% full (so, 10+ people), whether it be 3pm or 3am.

Just picked up this game today. If you want to add me go ahead, I'll probably be playing this quite a bit this weekend. I already added a couple people out of the thread.

dammit, i need to remember if Im in first, i need to take shortcuts, this guy took a shortcut and boosted (no boost in the area probably held onto it) and then took the lead with 2 turns left. i was upset. becuase i was in the lead for over 2 minutes, only to lose it at the end.

its hard for me to get to first and yet even stay there, but i see several matches where a guy gets in first and pretty much stays there.
^ if you get into a match early try watching it and keeping track of the guy in first

It's very rare but it happens. I won a match in first yesterday and I was like 30-40 seconds ahead of the pack.

One of the mods you get later on (Level 30 or so) is the ability to get a nitro (or whatever its called in the game) power up after completing each lap...this has definitely helped me in winning races or at the very least ending in the top 5 more often than not.

For anyone who is interested, the K-Mart rep says he will announce a deal on Blur tomorrow... my bet is $40 next week. I'll probably end up picking it up, already up to level 10 in the beta since I started playing yesterday, game is a blast.

Has anyone experienced this yet?

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2010/5/31/

Apparently Tycho has frequent issues with the game crashing... first time I've ever heard of such a thing. I assume it's just his 360?

[quote name='animalspinners']For anyone who is interested, the K-Mart rep says he will announce a deal on Blur tomorrow... my bet is $40 next week. I'll probably end up picking it up, already up to level 10 in the beta since I started playing yesterday, game is a blast.

Has anyone experienced this yet?

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2010/5/31/

Apparently Tycho has frequent issues with the game crashing... first time I've ever heard of such a thing. I assume it's just his 360?[/QUOTE]

Although I personally do not have the game (will probably pick it up with the Kmart deal you mentioned), I do know three people that have a 50 in MP already and none of them have mentioned anything like what that guy experienced in the article.

Just got done putting a few hours into it. I was pretty amazed how easy it was to pick up and be decent at. I got up to about level 5 online but put most of the time in on single player. I'm glad I picked this one up and would like to get on some CAGs friend list so I have some people to play with. I thought it was funny when there was 61 people playing online in the 0-10 level lobbies.

bread's done
Back