blur - Gen. Discussion & Info

It's fun, but I'm glad I only paid $10. I can see myself playing Blur for a while, but from what I've played so far, it kind of makes me want to play Mario Kart instead.

Has anyone used a racing wheel with this game? I have been thinking about getting one for it. I would like one that also works with the PS3 so I can use it for it too.

So I sent a bunch of friend request to y'all. I suck at gaming, but at least for the next little while, I'll be playing Blur from ~9-10pm EDT, 'cept Tuesdays. So if you're on, I'll join ya.

I liked the demo/beta and I will be getting this if my Best Buy lets me stack the manufacturer's coupon with the Reward Zone $10 off deal to get it for $10 total (plus tax). Bonus points for the fact that FrankySox and Pure Apathy are playing, since they're my homies and I haven't gotten to play much of anything with them lately.

Unlocked Moter Mash earlier today. Gotta love good ol' fashioned destruction derbies.

Also, if anybody feels like friending me or whatever for this, feel free.

I kind of wanted Blur, but there were so many games released in May that I held off...

I took advantage of that crazy Best Buy deal... WOW! I really like Blur. Super fun. Perfect mix of PGR + Mario Kart IMO.

got this today and have been playing the single player and love it.

Does anyone know how to do the "share on twitter/facebook" achievement? I signed into my account on the game, but haven't seen anything yet.

I love how the theme song is "Ecstacy of Gold" from "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly". The moment i heard the first 4-5 notes, I grinned, knowing what it was.

All I did was go into the stickers menu and hit RB? on the controller on a sticker I unlocked. Then when it asked about facebook, twitter, or xbox live I just clicked Xbox Live. It came up with a list of all my xbox live friends but I cogt the achievement without having to send anything.

No problem. I wasn't sure if it was LB or RB. I thought you could do it with videos and your cars also but all I saw it on was the stickers.

I had a softball game last night, and I have one tonight as well. Damn softball is interefering with my need to blow up other cars!

[quote name='sendme']Has anyone used a racing wheel with this game? I have been thinking about getting one for it. I would like one that also works with the PS3 so I can use it for it too.[/QUOTE]

I haven't even attempted to use the wheel since it doesn't say it's supported on the back of the box. Although racing games like this one play better with the controller, I think.

(edit) I just tried it with the wheel, and it does work, but not well. You have to turn the wheel almost completely around to turn the car just a little. Almost unplayable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just picked this up last night and had a great time with the multiplayer last night. I've heard about rubber-banding AI so I think I'll probably enjoy this part of the game most.

Too bad it doesn't look like it sold particularly well. There were only 1,800 people online last night at 10 p.m. PST, and only 82 in the "rookie" lobby.

This game seems to be really underrated right now. I don't see why people aren't buying it. Did some site give it a really bad score and people are basing it off of that? It's a great game.

Just picked this up today. Feel free to friend me, I'll probably be playing a ton of multiplayer tonight and I need a rival.

IGN gave it a 7/10, but as far as the big sites go (as far as I can tell), they're really the only one to give it a less than favorable review. Metacritic as a whole has it rated as an 82, with most sites somewhere in the mid 80s.

Also, it's a good thing that there are no "Giants" car on this game. :razz:

[quote name='RudyPants']Just picked this up last night and had a great time with the multiplayer last night. I've heard about rubber-banding AI so I think I'll probably enjoy this part of the game most.

Too bad it doesn't look like it sold particularly well. There were only 1,800 people online last night at 10 p.m. PST, and only 82 in the "rookie" lobby.[/QUOTE]

I usually see it higher than that. Even in the rookie lobby. I spent a few hours in there over the weekend, but it isn't necessary. I hit rank 4 in the regular Powered Up racing (or whatever it's called). I beat several lvl 30+ as a lvl 1 driver there. Granted, I had put in a bunch of time with the demo previously.

Sadly I probably won't get to play again until tomorrow due to my softball game tonight. I've added several CAGs, so I'm hoping to be able to race against them.

Feel free to throw me a friend request. I'm in the middle of trying to get FiOS to install internet over here, so if you don't mind having me there as dead space until I get everything up and running, I'd appreciate it.

With most games, I hate how they set up 4-player split-screen, but I played it last week with 3 buds and it was actually pretty entertaining. Wish you could set a limit as to how many AI you wanted on the track, though. They made it all or nothing.

Nothing more satisfying than PIT maneuvering a friend in the beginning of a race/smashin them right near the finish line and getting ahead for the win. Oh lawdy.

[quote name='Filbert']I haven't even attempted to use the wheel since it doesn't say it's supported on the back of the box. Although racing games like this one play better with the controller, I think.

(edit) I just tried it with the wheel, and it does work, but not well. You have to turn the wheel almost completely around to turn the car just a little. Almost unplayable.[/QUOTE]

Well that sucks. I was thinking about getting a wheel for it. Only I would like to find a good one that works on PS3 and 360 however all seem to be PS3/PC or 360 only.

Does anyone know how to turn 1 mine into 3-4 smaller mines?

I just realized that if you have the shield absorb mod you can pick them all up and get completely full on mines. No wonder some of these maps get so absurd with mines, Hackney is just wrong with 20 people.

[quote name='sendme']Well that sucks. I was thinking about getting a wheel for it. Only I would like to find a good one that works on PS3 and 360 however all seem to be PS3/PC or 360 only.[/QUOTE]
That's because Microsoft has a stupid licensing agreement over all third party accessories, and they have to have some stupid authentication theme that makes them work with the 360 console only.

[quote name='AlphaPanda']This game seems to be really underrated right now. I don't see why people aren't buying it. Did some site give it a really bad score and people are basing it off of that? It's a great game.[/QUOTE]

I think split/second was the more underrated game. I never hear anyone talking about that game and in my opinion it's the better of the two. I couldn't decide between these two titles, now I own them both since I was able to pick Blur up for $20. I'm really kind of dissappointed with Blur, don't get me wrong online is a blast but single player is just not fun.

Blur has the better multiplayer and split/second has the better single player but the difference is split second still has a good multiplayer to go with single player but so far I am not liking Blur's single player at all.

[quote name='freshzen']Does anyone know how to turn 1 mine into 3-4 smaller mines?

I just realized that if you have the shield absorb mod you can pick them all up and get completely full on mines. No wonder some of these maps get so absurd with mines, Hackney is just wrong with 20 people.[/QUOTE]

From what I've read, it's from a perk, not sure what rank you have to be to get it though. You shoot a mine forward and drive past it. Then it splits into 3 and gives you more fans.

I got this game for $12.61 after tax and got a $20 gift card. Of course, the only reason I got the gift card was because I was fucked over by a store manager and this was their "apology", but hey, I basically got paid $7 and change to get a copy of Blur, so it was almost worth the hassle. The story is in the thread in the deals forum about getting Blur for $10.

I've got a couple open spots on my friend list if anyone wants to add me for this game and/or any other reason. X Matt Young X. I'm on at random times depending on the day of the week.

[quote name='Lokki']From what I've read, it's from a perk, not sure what rank you have to be to get it though. You shoot a mine forward and drive past it. Then it splits into 3 and gives you more fans.[/QUOTE]

The mod unlocks sometime in the 30s I think. You don't have to use your own mine. Any mines that you near miss, fragment into 4 smaller mines. Anyone that hits those gets you fans.

[quote name='bs000']The mod unlocks sometime in the 30s I think. You don't have to use your own mine. Any mines that you near miss, fragment into 4 smaller mines. Anyone that hits those gets you fans.[/QUOTE]

Yep, its somewhere in the 35-38 range I believe. If you play Motor Mash all you have to do is equip that mod and go around and fragment every mine you see. Its an automatic win if nobody else is doing it.

Ok, no softball game tonight for me, so I should be on. Hoping that some CAGs will be on as well.

Matt I sent you a friend request. It will be good for when NHL 11 comes out as well. I'm planning on taking part of hockey night then. I didn't really have the time this past year to do it.

Ok the fragmented mines is from the Mastermine mod (3rd slot, unlocks around 30). If you have a near miss it'll turn the mine into 3-4 smaller ones.

I'm on the wall about cracking this open and playing it. I suck ass at racing games that aren't on PS2 or older, but the demo was fun for what I played of it.

[quote name='HydroX']I'm on the wall about cracking this open and playing it. I suck ass at racing games that aren't on PS2 or older, but the demo was fun for what I played of it.[/QUOTE]

The game is a blast whether you are in first place or last, imo. For me, Blur isn't about winning, but just having fun and kicking ass... to me, while I like to win, Blur is about kicking the ass of the guy ahead of me more than anything.

Sometimes being in the middle of the pack is more fun than it is being in the lead.

I'm pretty much with animalspinners on this one. As long as you have a big group, it doesn't really matter where you place. Plus, there's the destruction derby (called motor mash) mode, so even if you aren't much of a racer, there's still fun to be had.

Admittedly however, the single player is a bit of a bitch.

Yeah, I rarely finish about 10th and I love it. Of course, I was playing with CAGs- Pure Apathy, FrankySox, ChickenBoyBryan and CravinTacoBell. I'll be playing again in a short while. I'm signed on now, so send me a message if you wish.

[quote name='Matt Young']Yeah, I rarely finish about 10th and I love it. Of course, I was playing with CAGs- Pure Apathy, FrankySox, ChickenBoyBryan and CravinTacoBell. I'll be playing again in a short while. I'm signed on now, so send me a message if you wish.[/QUOTE]

I've got some errands to run, but I'll shoot you a message if I'm free later -- I should be.

I guess I can forgive you for not sending me a friend request Matt. ;)

I might not remember to send a message, but I plan on being on. Also, do you mean rarely above 10th? Just trying to figure out if that's a typo.

Hopefully you will all be around this evening when I get home from work.

Did you all use the Private race feature or still use the lobby and invite?

So I own the game yet it's still shrink-wrapped [for now] ... so I talked my buddy into getting the beta demo and playing some with me. Out of a ton of races I finally won one, but the majority were spent with me picking up the rear after a frustrating one power-up shot (or even a combo from close-by racers). As someone posted earlier, this game can be a ton of fun even if you suck.

Conclusion: Might have my friend pick it up with the coupon/best buy deal.

[quote name='Matt Young']Regular ranked races. You can join friends as long as there are open spots, which there always are in a 20 person race.[/QUOTE]

Cool. I joined up with JStryker last night in Moto Mash. That was the first time that I tried that mode out. I didn't do all that well heh. You do get a lot of fans for it though, even if you don't do very well. I did several of them, then bounced out to do some 20 man races. That stuff is nuts too. I was only doing the 10 man races before that.

In Moto Mash, is the person with the red arrow your rival? At first I thought it was the first place person, but on one of the matches, I was actually in first place for a bit and saw the red arrow on another car.

I'll try to be back on tonight, but if not, I should be around a lot this weekend. My wife and kids are heading out of town on Friday and won't be back until Tuesday.

[quote name='Lokki']In Moto Mash, is the person with the red arrow your rival? At first I thought it was the first place person, but on one of the matches, I was actually in first place for a bit and saw the red arrow on another car.[/QUOTE]

The red arrow indicates your rival, yes. And if you get wrecked, the person who wrecks you will then become your rival instead.

For Motor Mash, the nice thing about it (to me) is that it's very easy to jump in to. Maybe last night was just a good night for me, but I was able to get top 4 or so most of the time. Only ones I tend not to do well on seem to be LA Downtown (the figure 8 track) and DustBowl.

While I could have a better setup maybe at level 25, I find that battering ram / barge damage increaser / bribe works fairly well. Although I should remove bribe for something else as it's better suited for racing (imo).

Yeah I noticed that you were in the top 3 in almost all of the ones that I did. You were my rival a few times as well. I just hit Rank 13 last night, so I still have some catching up to do to get better cars/mods/perks. I love this game though. It's so easy to pick up and have fun with.

[quote name='JStryke']I'm pretty much with animalspinners on this one. As long as you have a big group, it doesn't really matter where you place. Plus, there's the destruction derby (called motor mash) mode, so even if you aren't much of a racer, there's still fun to be had.

Admittedly however, the single player is a bit of a bitch.[/QUOTE]

That is great to hear - I'm atrocious at racing games but I couldn't pass up the $10 deal from Best Buy. Looking forward to giving this a shot... just need to convince some of my friends to pick this up too.

[quote name='brkptr']That is great to hear - I'm atrocious at racing games but I couldn't pass up the $10 deal from Best Buy. Looking forward to giving this a shot... just need to convince some of my friends to pick this up too.[/QUOTE]
Even if your friends don't pick it up, there are plenty of CAGs on here that will race with you. :D

[quote name='Lokki']Even if your friends don't pick it up, there are plenty of CAGs on here that will race with you. :D[/QUOTE]

You're just saying that because everyone is guaranteed a win against me ;)

bread's done
Back