Book-Off in NYC now buying/selling used import and domestic games

blueshinra

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
I don't know if this interests anyone else, but recently I went to Book-Off (a used book/CD/DVD store located here, if you've never been there) to browse and noticed a sign by the cash register - they're looking to buy used console games!

Looks like we'll be getting another alternative for buying used games at retail. I hope they'll carry used imports as well.

ETA: Figured it was about time to change the title ;P

ETA (04/20/10): The store has moved! Book-Off is now in a bigger space at 49 W 45th Street, between 5th and 6th Avenues (and only a block away from Asahiya's old space, ironically enough). With the bigger space comes a bigger selection overall (though the Japanese CD and DVD sections feel roughly the same size), and there's now placards up in the games section with trade-in values for certain titles.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='superdry']I was able to pick up some manga at a good discount (I might go back to pick up some more). I would have sifted through the import game titles, but the store is a like a sauna in the winter time.[/quote]

I haven't looked in two weeks or so but I have a feeling that it'll mostly be the same titles that were there before.

Most of the PSP imports are forgettable. I believe there was a copy of Talkman, as well as Salamander Collection, but both were priced around $39. Not necessarily earth-shattering, even with 20% off.

PS2 and DS...I can't remember offhand. Personally, I didn't see anything interesting in there, although I think they may have had the Eyeshield 21 DS game. Not a good price, once again (in comparison to Play-Asia and whatnot), but not terrible, either.

It's mostly a crapshoot. If it's still sitting there, they do have a cart-only Contra 4 (domestic) for less than $10 after the 20% off sale, though.

20% off... More like 10% after tax. It was hilarious that they called it the biggest sale they ever had.

I got me a Slam Dunk vol. 1 (Raijin edition) and a volume of JoJo.

There's a new promotion going on now that runs till the end of May: trade in 3 games, get an extra $10, trade in 6 games, get an extra $30. The games have to have a trade value of at least 50 cents, you can't trade three of the same game, and some other exclusions I'm sure I'm forgetting. The games also have to be current-gen, so no PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, or GBA.

[quote name='whitereflection']There's a new promotion going on now that runs till the end of May: trade in 3 games, get an extra $10, trade in 6 games, get an extra $30. The games have to have a trade value of at least 50 cents, you can't trade three of the same game, and some other exclusions I'm sure I'm forgetting. The games also have to be current-gen, so no PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, or GBA.[/QUOTE]
Little update: they're doing this very same trade-in promotion right now, and it will run until Dec. 31, 2009.

Also, it appears they aren't taking Gamecube games for trade-ins at all.

A little side note, in case anyone's interested: the Asahiya Bookstore on 45th between 5th and Madison, just a few blocks away from Book-Off, is closing for good at the end of this month :whistle2:( Save for magazines, just about everything in the store is on sale, including CDs and DVDs. I went there last week, made my final trip today, and came away with some great stuff both times... and there's still a decent amount left.

There isn't much game-related stuff outside of soundtracks (mostly Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest ones), artbooks, and (import) guide books and magazines, but just wanted to mention it all the same. Asahiya was a great alternative to Kinokuniya, and I'll be sad to see it go.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']What? I haven't gone there yet. I might go later this week if I can find the time.
How were the discounts?[/QUOTE]
The best discounts I found were on various special edition manga. There's still some left, including tons of copies of the Fullmetal Alchemist vol. 13 SE (which comes with a deck of playing cards) for a buck apiece, but most of the best stuff is long gone.

The other discounts are nothing to sneeze at, though. The CDs can now be had for roughly half-price (or less); the same goes for the books and, I presume, the DVDs. Also, there's practically no stationary left (unfortunately, as it was one of my favorite parts of the store - they'd almost always have some Ghibli stuff that Kinokuniya didn't).

I'm sad to see Asahiya closing down, again (if anyone remembers, they use to be on vanderbilt ave. not too far away from their current location). I've always like the store better than Kinokuniya as they had a better selection of anime magazines, the points card, sometimes cheaper than Kinokuniya and the store was always quieter.

With their half-price off CDs and DVDs...you can get some game soundtracks at a decent price. The book sale is not bad too as its 100 yen to $1 rate they are using.

Oh yea...I also loved the stationary sold at the store as I was able to buy fine-tip pens (why is it so hard to find .35 through .4 tip pens?) over the years. But, within the last year, their pen's selection wasn't too great.

[quote name='superdry']The book sale is not bad too as its 100 yen to $1 rate they are using.[/QUOTE]
I recall seeing that rate on my visit last week, but it's apparently dipped lower than that since then. Yesterday, I got a 3,000 yen book for $17.80.

I went today, and I was pleased with the manga I got. $2 for Jump Comics.
But I was disappointed with the CD and DVDs. They only marked them down enough that they cost as much as new ones here in America. But good selection! Kamen Rider DCD, and Dragon Quest, and FF.
I really wished magazines were included, so I could get that Dengeki Hobby. :)

BTW Kinokuniya's having a sale this weekend. 20% off merchandise or something.

Does anyone know if they carry Yakuza 3 titles for PS3(aka Ryu Ga Gotoku Kenzan! & Ryu Ga Gotoku 3) Any info would be greatly appreciated : D Also does anyone have the exact street address for Book-off in NYC? I'm super surprised they have them here in the US. Last time I went to one was back in Japan of 2007, when I had gone on a trip. Awesome store btw: D

Book-Off's address: 14 E 41st St., New York, NY 10017 (Google Maps link)
Phone #: 212-685-1410 (don't know if they have Yakuza 3 specifically, and their stock changes all the time anyway, so it couldn't hurt to call ;))

Man this thread's almost two years old? :(

Anyway, I'm happy that the store is bigger, but man I'll have to trek even further. I liked going past that little grocery stop with the kitsune udon, and the Cafe Zaiya.

Alright I finally went to the new store, it was next to a Jack's store. Huzzah.
The prices for video games sucked more than the last store, they wanted $25 for Ninja Gaiden DS!
The store was huge enough for my tastes, though it sucks that I have to go downstairs for the more interesting part of the store.
A shame that they didn't have enough JoJo.

I was at Book-off this weekend, and I am surprised by how much the game selection has expanded. Some deals can be had, but if you are a CAG chances are you know what to look out for. While I was there I picked up Mario Kart Double Dash for 5 bucks and almost bough a really nice Genso Suikoden guide (JPN) for 9 bucks.

Went to Book-Off today, and it seems all of their PS2, Gamecube, and Xbox games are now $5-7 each. North American versions only, AFAIK; I skimmed the import PS2 games, but didn't take note of the prices.

This was a nice surprise, especially since that copy of DDR Extreme 2 that I'd seen last time I was there was now $5 instead of $19! I picked it up, along with Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life for GC, which was also $5.

[quote name='Rasen']Does anyone know if Book-Off sells imported systems? Specifically PS2s, and how much?[/QUOTE]

They do when they get it in - right now they should still have the Japanese Blue Dragon Xbox 360 bundle. The last time I saw an imported PS2 was over the summer and the price was okay...like $50-$60 bare for a fat version.

No more Book-Off updates from me personally; currently in the midst of a move to San Francisco (which doesn't have a Book-Off, sadly). I'll keep the OP updated as necessary, though.

Made one last trip to the place before leaving and picked up Knights in the Nightmare for $20 and, uh, the Project Diva OST for $23 >_> Also filled in a couple of holes in my Pizzicato Five collection.

Gonna miss the place, and NYC in general, of course.

One last thing: does anyone know what their current trade-in value for manga is? Traded in a lot of stuff on that final visit and got more than expected, even before the (recently expired) 20% bonus deal. Most of that batch consisted of near-mint Naruto volumes with some other manga mixed in, plus a couple of CDs.

[quote name='blueshinra']One last thing: does anyone know what their current trade-in value for manga is? Traded in a lot of stuff on that final visit and got more than expected, even before the (recently expired) 20% bonus deal. Most of that batch consisted of near-mint Naruto volumes with some other manga mixed in, plus a couple of CDs.[/QUOTE]
What was their old trade-in value for manga? I really need to get rid of all this Kenshin.

[quote name='blueshinra']No more Book-Off updates from me personally; currently in the midst of a move to San Francisco (which doesn't have a Book-Off, sadly). I'll keep the OP updated as necessary, though.

Made one last trip to the place before leaving and picked up Knights in the Nightmare for $20 and, uh, the Project Diva OST for $23 >_> Also filled in a couple of holes in my Pizzicato Five collection.

Gonna miss the place, and NYC in general, of course.

One last thing: does anyone know what their current trade-in value for manga is? Traded in a lot of stuff on that final visit and got more than expected, even before the (recently expired) 20% bonus deal. Most of that batch consisted of near-mint Naruto volumes with some other manga mixed in, plus a couple of CDs.[/QUOTE]

Sorry you're leaving NYC but thank you for reminding me about this place! I went there last week and scored a near mint Metal Gear Solid for PS1 for $5!!!\\:D/

[quote name='pete5883']What was their old trade-in value for manga? I really need to get rid of all this Kenshin.[/QUOTE]

Generally US manga gets you like $1 per volume. I've traded in various Tokyopop, Del Rey and Viz manga and that's what was given.

Greetings from the Land Without Book-Off, aka the SF Bay Area :p
[quote name='superdry']Generally US manga gets you like $1 per volume. I've traded in various Tokyopop, Del Rey and Viz manga and that's what was given.[/QUOTE]
Okay, that's what I thought. I had only traded manga in to them once before, and that was years ago. Guess I was too used to the low trade-in values for other types of paperbacks :p

[quote name='62t']Dont worry you will love San Francisco[/QUOTE]
There are a few things I'm not too crazy about (mainly the weird climate in the city), but overall, it is nice :)

[quote name='blueshinra']There are a few things I'm not too crazy about (mainly the weird climate in the city), but overall, it is nice :)[/QUOTE]
I'll say it for you... the homeless. That is the one thing I hate about going to LA and San Diego. New York got their shit together years ago, one of the best things mayor Koch saw to, and knows how to deal with them but out there it's like they're given free reign.

Went to the store today and they arranged the video games on the right side of the store, the entrance. Will that increase shoplifting? Yes, but it's not like they leave the good stuff lying around lol.

Bought a boxed Super Mario Advance (JP) with manual for $5.

[quote name='superdry']Generally US manga gets you like $1 per volume. I've traded in various Tokyopop, Del Rey and Viz manga and that's what was given.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to bump but just have to ask... $1 per volume? When did that happen? I sold my GTO mangas roughly a year ago and each one is about 10 - 20 CENTS, sold like 5 of them and got back a DOLLAR LOL so yeah... they changed the prices?

[quote name='whitereflection']Why would you actually sell them for 10 cents?[/QUOTE]

At the time, that was there quote and since my mangas was in the dump for a long time, i didnt care how much its sold as long as its sold... but now that its actually worth 1 dollar, might give them another try

[quote name='Vanacloud']Sorry to bump but just have to ask... $1 per volume? When did that happen? I sold my GTO mangas roughly a year ago and each one is about 10 - 20 CENTS, sold like 5 of them and got back a DOLLAR LOL so yeah... they changed the prices?[/QUOTE]

Yea. I've had some net me like 40 cents, but they weren't in the best condition. But, usually I get $1 or so per manga sold to them on average.

Went today, and the video game section has expanded even more as people keep trading more crap in and the store continues to maintain its rather bloated prices.
Saw a PS3 SFIV fightpad for $25ish. And behind it was a Ryu skin for the DualShock 3.
The Super Famicom games are easily better than the SNES games they have on hand. But it's a damn shame they don't sell any older systems. Maybe they should start getting them from their Japanese branches.

here's this month's advertised trade-in values. They last until the end of May. From what I can tell, they usually gauge trade-in value by the pre-owned price on Gamestop in general.

34s1gsw.jpg

Here are this month's advertised trade-in values for games. Note: they pay in cash. Valid in the month of July 2012 only.

:360: :ps3: Max Payne 3 $38
:360: :ps3: Sniper Elite 2 $40
:360: :ps3: Game of Thrones $49
:360: :ps3: Spec Ops The Line Premium Edition $49

:wii: Xenoblade Chronicles $40
:wii: Mario Party 9 $40
:3ds: Mario Tennis Open $31
:3ds: Mario & Sonic Olympic Games $25
:3ds: Kid Icarus Uprising $31
Mortal Kombat Vita $31
Metal Gear Solid Collection Vita $31

Here are this month's system trade-in values. Valid in the month of July only.

With all consoles, iPad, iPod and Kindle trade-ins, you get an

extra 20 if you trade a 360 or ps3
extra 10 for a Wii, DS, or PSP
extra 30 for an iPad
extra 20 for a Kindle
extra 10 for an iPod

Wii $56
3ds $84
dsi xl $66
dsi $54
dslite $42
ds original $24

ps3 slim $132
ps3s from 20-80GB $126
psp go $38
ps vita 3G $196
ps vita wifi $161
psp 1000 $24
psp 2000 $36
psp 3000 $50

360 wired $45
360 wireless $75
360 slim 4GB $70
360 slim 250GB $112

Here are this month's values:

Sniper Elite 2 (X360/PS3) - $31
Persona 4 Arena (X360/PS3) - $38
Spec Ops: The Line Premium Edition (X360/PS3) - $38
Risen 2 (X360/PS3) - $38

Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii) - $31
Pokepark 2: Wonders Beyond (Wii) - $31
Mario Party 9 (Wii) - $31
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (PSVita) - $21
Mario Tennis Open (3DS) - $24
New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS) - $24
Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance (3DS) - $24
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (PSVita) - $24

They also marked down most of their NES, SNES, and Genesis games down to $1. The only standout titles I remember are Mortal Kombat 2 and 3.

bread's done
Back