Bootleg eBay DVDs, Hurray!

aTaRiFrEaK223

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
I bought these because my original discs got banged up from letting people borrow them, well when I got my orders from ebay they were bootlegs. Should I report the sellers on ebay? Two different ones. The last test I did was to see if they were region coded was to try to play them in my Japanese PS3. The originals wouldn't (they still play but skip) the bootlegs played.

Red is the bootleg copy.

Family Guy Volume 8:

Notice the crappy quality of the image of the dvd, and how the box set of the bootleg is wider on Smallville.

SmallVille Season 9:

I was going to put this under the Super Princess Peach thread, but figured I had too many pics. IF the mods want I can move it over there.

[quote name='Cmosfm']Holy crap those are nice bootlegs.[/QUOTE]

Yeah they are really close, it's scary. Makes me not want to buy any DVD sets on eBay anymore. Another thing that gave them away is the smallville outer sleeve is glossy and the official one is matte. The family guy also came in a smoke colored clear case instead of a standard plastic case. Hell, they even had fox and cw stickers on the outside case when they were sealed. But like I said, being region free was the biggest give away when the other ones I have aren't.

jeeez seems like it would be easier to just sell legit copies... definitely report and gives those away as birthday gifts! :whistle2:D

[quote name='Lice']jeeez seems like it would be easier to just sell legit copies... definitely report and gives those away as birthday gifts! :whistle2:D[/QUOTE]

Should I report it to fox and wb too? Or just eBay. It was two different sellers, knew the prices were too good to be true.

They made inserts to put in the cases of the bootlegs? Those would be really hard to tell they weren't legit if there wasn't a side by side comparison.

[quote name='VashandWolfwood']They made inserts to put in the cases of the bootlegs? Those would be really hard to tell they weren't legit if there wasn't a side by side comparison.[/QUOTE]

I know it's odd, why go through all the trouble? I just tested them on my computer too and smallviile doesn't have an FBI warning, and family guy let's you skip it. On the real family guy disc you can't skip it plus there are previews for the Cleveland show and American Dad.

Err I highly doubt that Family Guy is a bootleg, not sure about Smallville. You can't necessarily expect one copy to be exactly like another copy. They might have made slight revisions to the disc and/or packaging. That is not uncommon. Different printings can result in a slightly different look (colors, saturation, etc).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='TVsRobLowe']Sure these just aren't international versions?[/QUOTE]
:applause:

Honestly, I don't see the problem. The 'bootlegs' work while the scratched up originals do not. It just seems like the OP is looking for shit to nitpick about if you ask me.:roll:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:applause:

Honestly, I don't see the problem. The 'bootlegs' work while the scratched up originals do not. It just seems like the OP is looking for shit to nitpick about if you ask me.:roll:[/QUOTE]

How am I looking for shit to nitpick about? I'm sorry I like having original copies, not pirated ones. I am sure most everyone would agree with me that if they walked into a Best Buy and bought a DVD and inside was a DVD-R with a copy of the movie written on it, they wouldn't be so happy. Same thing here except my discs have artwork printed on them. In both cases they are still bootlegs, and the sellers should be reported. And if you have nothing useful to add, don't bother posting.

[quote name='aTaRiFrEaK223']How am I looking for shit to nitpick about? I'm sorry I like having original copies, not pirated ones. I am sure most everyone would agree with me that if they walked into a Best Buy and bought a DVD and inside was a DVD-R with a copy of the movie written on it, they wouldn't be so happy. Same thing here except my discs have artwork printed on them. In both cases they are still bootlegs, and the sellers should be reported. And if you have nothing useful to add, don't bother posting.[/QUOTE]
I thought what I had to say was quite useful and I thought what the person I quoted said was quite useful, which is why I quoted them.;) But people don't like to listen to reason on here and instead wish for others to agree with them implicitly because after all they can't be WRONG.

Maybe I did come off as a bit harsh, but try contacting the sellers BEFORE reporting them.

Maybe they DID both send you some sort of international edition of the sets in question and if they explain that they did, would that at least sate this bloodlust of yours to get them in trouble for selling you something that actually works unlike your copies?

If you really think about it, EVERY copy out there is a copy. The only people with the original discs are the factory.:razz:

In closing I just have to say again that the sets work, the packaging looks a lil different, but the point of the matter is....the sets you were sent WORK while the ones you let other people borrow and they destroyed DO NOT WORK. If the sellers say they're international editions, will you actually be satisfied or will you continue this witch hunt for no good reason?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I thought what I had to say was quite useful and I thought what the person I quoted said was quite useful, which is why I quoted them.;) But people don't like to listen to reason on here and instead wish for others to agree with them implicitly because after all they can't be WRONG.

Maybe I did come off as a bit harsh, but try contacting the sellers BEFORE reporting them.

Maybe they DID both send you some sort of international edition of the sets in question and if they explain that they did, would that at least sate this bloodlust of yours to get them in trouble for selling you something that actually works unlike your copies?

If you really think about it, EVERY copy out there is a copy. The only people with the original discs are the factory.:razz:

In closing I just have to say again that the sets work, the packaging looks a lil different, but the point of the matter is....the sets you were sent WORK while the ones you let other people borrow and they destroyed DO NOT WORK. If the sellers say they're international editions, will you actually be satisfied or will you continue this witch hunt for no good reason?[/QUOTE]

I wasn't looking for people to agree with me, just other opinions. I just don't like to be bashed when I didn't do anything wrong, and that's how you came off in your first post. I'm not trying to be an ass, and don't want to start any arguments, because it's pointless. We all come to these forums because we are CAGs, well, most of us.

And I haven't reported them yet, I contacted the sellers, and I am waiting to here a response. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. What if I bought a set on ebay, never opened it, then sold it and found out it was a bootleg from the buyer? You never know.

And I did some looking around online and found someone else with a Smallville bootleg, wasn't season 9, can't remember the season, but it looked very close to the original.

I'm not on a witch hunt, I'm not trying to get anyone in trouble, I just wanted people's opinions on the matter. But if it is a bootleg and the seller is selling 100s of copies of it, don't you think they should not allowed to sell on ebay?

Those are some really good bootlegs. I was going to say that if your originals still work just let your friends borrow the bootlegs. I'd report it if you paid a premium for the movies and if they don't look as nice on screen/TV.

What exactly am I supposed to see in the first picture..? I'm looking in the red box but I just don't see it.

You know, now that I think about it, IAmTheCheapestGamer is probably right. They are more than likely international versions. I've bought Dexter Season 4 and Entourage Season 6 recently directly from Amazon and they both looks incredibly bootleg-ish...but they weren't, they company was just skimping on quality or something. Fuzzy pictures, low quality packaging, but I compared mine to the ones in Target and they were the same exact thing.

Honestly though, if the sellers are willing to help, take what they are offering and drop it. Trying to report them will be a waste of time and dickish if you turn out to be wrong.

[quote name='aTaRiFrEaK223']What if I bought a set on ebay, never opened it, then sold it and found out it was a bootleg from the buyer? You never know.[/QUOTE]
This happened to me. I tried to sell a couple of antique vases on eBay that I thought were genuine but were in fact counterfeits. They were given to me by my grandmother who didn't know she was buying counterfeits and I sure as hell had no idea. It didn't even cross my mind that someone might've made illegal copies. I just thought "Hey, these are neat vases; I bet someone would like to buy them." Anyway, I ended up being blacklisted on a few popular sites. And of course, after numerous e-mails here and there, nobody would even consider believing me. As far as they were concerned, I was basically doing this for a living. I eventually ended up closing my eBay account because people wouldn't buy from me anymore and I'd get spammed with hate mail if I tried to sell something.

So...I say if these are bootlegs, you should report their asses. You are well within your rights to do so. It doesn't matter if they work or not; you should be given the exact item that you are purchasing and you should have the comfort of knowing that it is a genuine item that won't degrade prematurely. If someone wants to ridicule you for not condoning illegal acts, then fuck 'em.

And if these aren't bootlegs...then be happy that you got a good deal.

[quote name='aTaRiFrEaK223']Should I report it to fox and wb too? Or just eBay. It was two different sellers, knew the prices were too good to be true.[/QUOTE]

Normally, I'd say no, but in this case I think it would be a good idea- not only do fox/WB have the cash to try and actually do something about bootleggers, they'd be the most qualified to tell you if the differences you're spotting are a result of a different print run or not. I'd go for it.

I don't understand why you would report them as bootlegs when you have no idea if they actually are. Like others have said they could be international versions or reprints.

[quote name='gothamcentral79']I don't understand why you would report them as bootlegs when you have no idea if they actually are. Like others have said they could be international versions or reprints.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. You can't accuse somebody of selling counterfeits if you don't even know 100% that is what they are.

Report them as bootlegs on eBay and contact Fox & WB for follow-up about the bootlegs.

Just because they're scary close doesn't mean they're not bootlegs.

[quote name='shrike4242']Report them as bootlegs on eBay and contact Fox & WB for follow-up about the bootlegs.

Just because they're scary close doesn't mean they're not bootlegs.[/QUOTE]

Then you put the seller in jeopardy. Should check with Fox and WB first. Also, I've seen Blockbuster inserts slightly different than retail releases, so it doesn't necessarily mean it's a bootleg.

Why are you guys white knighting this thread... Reporting to Warner Brothers about a box set you bought on ebay...? Really? They will read that email, laugh, and send you out a canned answer about buying only from trusted sources like best buy or FYE. "We can not guarantee the authenticity of a product sold outside of our trusted sources...etc" If it works well, and it looks more or less identical, just roll with it and enjoy your shows. Jesus Christ.

[quote name='shrike4242']Report them as bootlegs on eBay and contact Fox & WB for follow-up about the bootlegs.

Just because they're scary close doesn't mean they're not bootlegs.[/QUOTE]
Yes, get banned from selling on ebay because you THINK they might not be authentic.

Sorry shrike, but this is one time I disagree with you.

You know, eBay actually investigates reports that are made. They don't just receive a report and then ban the person in question. If that were the case, I would have been banned. Instead, eBay contacted me and gave me the opportunity to explain my side of the story. If the person isn't knowingly selling bootlegs, they have nothing to worry about.

[quote name='elessar123']Then you put the seller in jeopardy. Should check with Fox and WB first. Also, I've seen Blockbuster inserts slightly different than retail releases, so it doesn't necessarily mean it's a bootleg.[/QUOTE]The seller won't get kicked to the curb immediately by a single report of an issue with bootlegs. If they don't know they're bootlegs, then they should learn quickly about where their source for them is coming from. WB and Fox would know quickly, as they do want to shut down sources of items they see no revenue from.

[quote name='SlammedNiss']Yes, get banned from selling on ebay because you THINK they might not be authentic.

Sorry shrike, but this is one time I disagree with you.[/QUOTE]Different cover art seems out of place if the official US releases for the items in question differ from what the OP received. I'd be surprised if cover art was different from official versions in such subtle ways, unless is was a rare mistake in printing for the discs and box/cover art. Subtle differences are usually a sign of non-official items. Non-US/Canada/Region 1 DVDs usually have the same cover art as US releases or radically different cover art than the US/Canada/Region 1 items. I can't see how a subtle difference like this wouldn't be a bootleg.

If they're non-US items, the seller should indicate that in their product description, as some people may not want non-US items. WB and Fox would know if they're legitimate items or not and from the pics the OP has posted, I think they're not legit items.

[quote name='ZombieToast']You know, eBay actually investigates reports that are made. They don't just receive a report and then ban the person in question. If that were the case, I would have been banned. Instead, eBay contacted me and gave me the opportunity to explain my side of the story. If the person isn't knowingly selling bootlegs, they have nothing to worry about.[/QUOTE]I had suspected that it wasn't an immediate ban-hammer, so it's good to know they actually take the time to investigate claims about bootlegs.

bread's done
Back