Bootleg GBA Games are Okay with GameStop - WUT?!

Ohhhhh I love the Fifa one where the cart just says "GAME" on it. LOL. Next time I'll go in there with a spindle of DVD-Rs all with "GTA 4" written on them in either sharpie or crayon (Grand Theft Auto IV would be a tad too authentic). I definitely expect $35 credit for each one, minus maybe $4 since I won't have the case or manual for them.

Ok, now that you have photographic evidence you can definitely do something with that. I would contact the local police, but you will probably have to be prepared to show them the difference between a fake game and a real because I doubt a patrol officer will know the difference off the top of his/her head. The colored leaf green and fire red look legit to me, but the other games are definitely fake. The "Gameboy Advance" logo at the top of the games is also always off when your dealing with a fake game. Rounded edges on the label or a label that does not fit properly can be another indication of a fake cart.

I am guessing that the games either came from the warehouse or that a customer who had bought a lot of games off ebay and didn't know the difference between a fake and a real game traded them in, or maybe someone from japan or another country where fakes are rampant who moved here and brought his/her games with them.

Yeah, the colored carts are indeed legit. I simply included them in the picture to show the differences between the real and fake. Love how they were just organized to be side by side like that.

I'm fairly sure they came from the warehouse as the place opened up not too long ago.

As for the police...I'd rather not. Let's just say you can't always trust the cops in some areas.

I typically see 1-2 GBA bootlegs per store at Gamestops around here. Some of them are obvious, but it's not like you can expect the workers to know. I actually bought a pretty interesting 30-game multi-cart no too long ago. It was in a GBA shell but had GB/GB Color games on it.

After seeing this, I remember seeing at my Gamestop two different versions of Metroid: Zero Mission sitting right next to each other. I thought that was bad, guess I was wrong. :)

lol @ this thread.

I live ten minutes away from Mexico (south, south, tx) and I see this shit all the time in game stores. I've pointed it out several times, but nobody really does anything but say ''Oh, so it is pirated... oh well!'' closed the case and thats all she wrote. Its kinda silly seeing 10-15 fake copies of the same game with all these different wacked out labels.

Kinda reminds me of the time I bought Maximo: Ghosts to Glory on PS2 used, but it was a burned back up. You could clearly tell it was a back up from the cd artwork pasted on it, but the guy kept telling me ''Oh, back then those games came on blue discs so don't worry it'll play fine.'' :cool: Dumbass.

The guys at the gamestop I used to frequent near my old job thought I was nuts for a while.

Whenever I would buy a used gba game, I'd ask to see it first, then I'd take out my keychain led light and shine it up inside the bottom of the cart to make sure the circuit board had NINTENDO and a year in white letters printed on the board.

Thats the best way to tell, as I've never seen a bootleg with the Nintendo name and year of manufactur printed on the board.

Once I explained why I was doing what I was doing, they thought it was cool as hell. I taught them how to spot bootlegs when people try to trade them in.

To that stores credit, I've never seen a bootleg gba cart there.

The FFT:A bootleg looks pretty good. If you didn't know how Square printed their labels for GBA games, it'd be hard to tell it was a bootleg. I took a double take until I confirmed it by looking at my legit copy of the game.

The rest of them you can tell they're boots.

I remember going on a GBA RPG buying spree last year during one of the B2G1 sales, and every game I bought I checked it out in the store before buying it. Luckily, if I did buy a bootleg of an RPG game, there would be a good chance that a save game wouldnt be there.

I usually check the games too by looking in the cart, since I have 130 GBA games and many more GBC I have a pretty good feel of which ones are bootleg and which are not but I usually check anyways just to be sure and to save a return trip to the store. The chance of getting a bootleg GBC game is almost non existent but I still like to check to make sure it has the number imprinted in the label, you can't check the edge connector like on gba games.

i m young and live on the island but visit Manhattan frequently. Are there people in japan selling bootleg games like people in new york selling bootleg dvds or do you just have to know that the store has bootlegs behind the counter??

[quote name='LilPaintballer']i m young and live on the island but visit Manhattan frequently. Are there people in japan selling bootleg games like people in new york selling bootleg dvds or do you just have to know that the store has bootlegs behind the counter??[/QUOTE]

No no no its not like that at all, with these stores the bootlegs are mixed right in with the legit games and any customer can see them if they look into the case. They are basically trying to pass them off as legit games for the full used price though. Its not like gamestop is keeping a case of bootlegs behind the counter and selling them only to those that know they sell bootlegs.

bread's done
Back