Borderlands Discussion Thread - Game of the Year Edition Available Now!

[quote name='TLPRIME']mmmk...but if you read what I posted it says you cant turn the in game voice off. SO you will hear an echo or feedback or whatever since you will be using 2 voice methods.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, I just read it as the mic stays live, but I still assumed there would be something in the options to disable voice chat. I'm sure there is some kind of console command to disable in-game voice.

[quote name='basilofbkrst']Wasn't theere a thing about mouse controls and all that being a special part of the PC version or something? I think it's supposed to be a day 0 patch. Reviews usually dont get to take those into account.[/QUOTE]

Yeah there was a thing about that. That's why these reviews are a bit troubling. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt till I play it myself I guess.

Just got the game today (picked Amazon Prime's free 2-day shipping, got it on release day - GO AMAZON!). Add me on PSN if you wanna play co-op, PSN ID IRHari.

I'll be playing either as Lilith (Siren) or Roland (Soldier).

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']20 bucks says they're playing review copies and this is what the 6 day wait is for. Those two problems are ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

Man I hope you're right. I'm hoping that the time spent between sending the review copies out and the PC release is spent fixing those interface problems. Hopefully by release, but I'd be ok with a patch a week later (at most).

EDIT: Also, Hydro, I friended you on Steam.

I'm not really worried about the interface problems as long as they aren't totally crippling. I can live with them for a week or two if they are only somewhat bothersome, as long as I know they're working on getting a patch out.

[quote name='SEH']I'm not really worried about the interface problems as long as they aren't totally crippling. I can live with them for a week or two if they are only somewhat bothersome, as long as I know they're working on getting a patch out.[/QUOTE]

That's kind of how I feel, too. Also, if Gearbox drops the ball, I'm sure some modder will pick it up.

I'm playing the PS3 version. I ran into a couple freezing issues. When you hit join game and you get the list of available games, the menu freezes for like 3-4 minutes. It eventually unfreezes but this is still unacceptable.

I don't know what caused this, but I had finished doing a quest with a bunch of people, and we were going back to the area where the first town is, and the loading screen from one area to the next froze completely, and I had to shut off the PS3.

Fix this bullshit Gearbox. I know you're patrolling these forums, bitches.

One of the reasons I bought this on the PC is for the more frequent updates... as apparently there are lots of things to fix.

[quote name='IRHari']Fix this bullshit Gearbox. I know you're patrolling these forums, bitches.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure they'll get right on that seeing as you asked in such a professional manner :roll:

But don't get me wrong, things like should be fixed. Does anybody know what Gearbox's post-release support like? I haven't bought any of the Brothers in Arms games at release.

EDIT: Gamespot gave it an 8.5

Gamespot: 8.5

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I put in almost 11 hours in today and I can say that this game is hands down the best shooter (gameplay wise, not story wise) I've ever played. Honestly, I can't get enough.

[quote name='tokitoki50']Well, I put in almost 11 hours in today and I can say that this game is hands down the best shooter (gameplay wise, not story wise) I've ever played. Honestly, I can't get enough.[/QUOTE]

Good to hear toki :).

So how many purples and oranges have you come across? I was just listening to the Giant Bomb podcast and the dudes there were saying it was a solid game but a lot of the guns kinda look the same. Do you agree or disagree with that?

I have put about 20 or so hours into this game and I am loving it. About half was by myself and the other half was in co-op.

The game is just fun, plain and simple. I have played through the beginning missions multiple times now and I am still having fun. The weapons do kind of look the same, but there is always that addictive feeling of finding the gun that does just a little more damage, or has slightly better accuracy and so on. I have found a few purple items, but no orange items yet.

I haven't encountered any major bugs in the game yet. There are the occasional FPS slow downs such as when you shotgun someone in the face at extremely close range and they turn into the gibs. The FPS really kind of slows down for a second when the gibs come out. Also upon loading each map, it can take like a few seconds for the textures to load which makes the world look a little weird.

Other than those, I haven't had any crashes or bugs.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Good to hear toki :).

So how many purples and oranges have you come across? I was just listening to the Giant Bomb podcast and the dudes there were saying it was a solid game but a lot of the guns kinda look the same. Do you agree or disagree with that?[/QUOTE]

In the two characters I've played, I've probably come across a dozen purples. 2 or 3 of those would be predetermined quest drops however. I haven't seen an orange yet (but I'm keeping my fingers crossed).

As for the look of the weapons, there are plenty of very similar guns, but there are a lot of subtle differences that you might not even notice unless you're looking for them. It's a valid complaint for sure, but I don't think that it detracts from the game at all. There's enough variation to keep you searching.

Just an FYI for those who have pre-ordered through GS (and get the Mercenary Weapons Pack). Make sure the case has a little yellow circle on the front and states the GS exclusive free gearbox mercenary weapons pack. GS has this version and one without. The guy accidently gave me the one without and luckily I called him out on it before I left the store. The code for the pack is actually inside the case, but the front of the case has to state it.

[quote name='Space Cowboy YGI']Just an FYI for those who have pre-ordered through GS (and get the Mercenary Weapons Pack). Make sure the case has a little yellow circle on the front and states the GS exclusive free gearbox mercenary weapons pack. GS has this version and one without. The guy accidently gave me the one without and luckily I called him out on it before I left the store. The code for the pack is actually inside the case, but the front of the case has to state it.[/QUOTE]

I pre-ordered my copy and didn't get the code. Consider yourself lucky lol.

Definitely digging this game and this wasn't even on my radar until I saw the first commercial a few weeks ago. After 4 hours of gameplay I'm level 9, so i hope the time to level increases pretty dramatically soon.

Any word if the DLC is going to increase the level cap?

[quote name='youbastards']Definitely digging this game and this wasn't even on my radar until I saw the first commercial a few weeks ago. After 4 hours of gameplay I'm level 9, so i hope the time to level increases pretty dramatically soon.

Any word if the DLC is going to increase the level cap?[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure they said no cap increase for now. But I have no source.

[quote name='AK85']Preload NOW!!!

I just tried and it said the servers are full. But hopefully some of us can get through.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes if you change your location to somewhere like Singapore or another country like that, you'll get through and be able to download. I remember when L4D came out, I couldn't get through to any of the US locations, so I switched to Singapore and it worked. It downloaded at a cool MB/s too.

[quote name='SEH']Sometimes if you change your location to somewhere like Singapore or another country like that, you'll get through and be able to download. I remember when L4D came out, I couldn't get through to any of the US locations, so I switched to Singapore and it worked. It downloaded at a cool MB/s too.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't get any other download servers to work, so I just kept trying and I was able to get through on my normal download server. :bouncy:

I still have 2 copies left from the Steam Borderlands 4-pack ($34). If you're interested PM or contact me on steam (ID: Pajama_Man). :)

Both have been claimed. Thank you. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh sweet! I'm away from home for the next few days and the steam website didn't mention anything about preloading. But this is pleasant news indeed. It'll be the first thing I do when I get home :)

Gah, damn thing won't let me preload all night.....
says it's too busy.

I have 1 leftover from a 4 pack, not sure if i'm gonna give it to my GF, anyone interested?

[quote name='seen']Post's regarding Borderlands 4-packs should be going in this thread.

I hope the pre-loading leads to an earlier unlock date.[/QUOTE]

That would be nice wouldn't it? But I doubt it. I've never heard of anything like that happening in the past. Steam/Valve would get in a world of trouble for breaking the release date. And even if Gearbox gave them permission, then retailers would QQ. So I'm just not even going to get my hopes up. Would be nice though. Oh well, it is what it is.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']That would be nice wouldn't it? But I doubt it. I've never heard of anything like that happening in the past. Steam/Valve would get in a world of trouble for breaking the release date. And even if Gearbox gave them permission, then retailers would QQ. So I'm just not even going to get my hopes up. Would be nice though. Oh well, it is what it is.[/QUOTE]

Looks like people are getting their hands on the retail version early too.

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=77198

This site was discovered, but it is unknown what is meant by it, besides a possible place for retail copies to be authenticated.

http://www.2kgames.com/borderlands/activation/

Additionally, people are causing more and more of an uproar about Borderlands not being unlocked for 3 more days, and have also started emailing 2kgames about it.

I also did. I paid, I preloaded, and I bought the strategy guide -.- Quit forcing me to watch console players, damnit.

[quote name='Rhett']This site was discovered, but it is unknown what is meant by it, besides a possible place for retail copies to be authenticated.

http://www.2kgames.com/borderlands/activation/

Additionally, people are causing more and more of an uproar about Borderlands not being unlocked for 3 more days, and have also started emailing 2kgames about it.

I also did. I paid, I preloaded, and I bought the strategy guide -.- Quit forcing me to watch console players, damnit.[/QUOTE]

How can you be mad at 2K for a store breaking street date?

I played this today and my mind has been changed. Initially, when I heard about this game I was very interested. Then once I saw the graphic style change, I lost interest quite a bit. After hearing more good things about it, and then playing it today hands on, I am totally sold. This game is something special. Smooth as can be. If you know how to play Modern Warfare, then there you have it.

People are mad at 2K for delaying the unlocking of Borderlands PC because it's OBVIOUS there was no PC optimization, it was just a lie so they had an excuse to push it back a week to "optimize" sales.

Additionally, this game has been sold WIDESPREAD across the states, not just a handful of incidents.

Plus, what's to keep people from cancelling preorders and just pirating it sometime in the future?

BTW 2k and Gearbox are possibly looking to move the unlock date forward, because of the large amount of unhappy people.

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showpost.php?p=1573084&postcount=414

There was another link from the 2KGames community manager saying that she was in talks with others in the office about a possible early release, and would get back to us.

The biggest burn here would be an entirely perfect weekend for most people, with a Borderlands being available on Monday...a monday for crying out loud! :p

while it would be nice to play the game this weekend rather than have it launch at the beginning of the work week, not the biggest deal in the world.

and Rhett, even though retail copies are being sold, delaying it until oct 26 could be for a Day 0 patch to fix the voice chat issues.

An early release would be fantastic, but unfortunately I'm busy most of the weekend and won't really be able to play until Sunday night. So if they don't unlock it, it won't be the end of the world. But it would be a good move on their part.

OK I don't know how many of you own the PS3 version, but I've had nothing but problems with it.

It freezes EVERY TIME I hit join game, and sometimes the list comes up after 3-4 minutes, other times I have to reset the game.

I've had the game freeze on multiple occasions during load screens.

Speaking of load screens, after having installed 2 gigs worth of data, why does it still take 1-2 minutes to load an area?

I'm returning this game. I've never dealt with a game like this, I want to play it, but there are so many problems with it (WHERE THE fuck IS QA/QC) that I can't justify keeping it. Even PS2 games that I've owned never had this kind of bullshit at launch. In fact, I can't think of any recent game rife with problems like this.

I might buy the game again, when it gets discounted a lot, but for now, yeah, fuck this game, and Gearbox.

Look don't get me wrong, I liked the game (what I could play of it!) If I had a PC that could handle the game I would get it, but at this point, meh.

It's just disappointing to see a current-gen game with so many problems. I don't know if Orange Box had these kind of problems too (I heard similar freezing issues), but this looks to me like the PS3 getting shafted again.

I saw that on gearbox forums basilofbkrst, thanks. It's great that Gearbox addressed the friends list issue so quickly, but there are much worse things that need to be addressed.

Hey guys, I picked this up and I'm really enjoying it. I was curious if anyone here an an extra pre-order code for the Mercenary gun DLC? I'd love to get my hands on it! Thanks!

In case anybody was wondering if 2K/Gearbox would unlock the game for this weekend, the answer was no:

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47702&page=28

"Hey guys,

Yesterday we learned that a fraction of the PC copies of Borderlands were accidentally sold to consumers in some countries but that gamers could not activate their copies yet. Since we learned of this problem, we have been looking into the issue to find the best possible solution for everyone.

I'm going to be completely honest with you guys right now. It is not possible for us to move the planned release date of the game forward. We could not possibly get the games into stores worldwide and out for digital distribution any earlier than planned. Less than 1% of all copies were sold, and if we unlocked the game today, illegal versions would most likely appear on torrents by the evening. I am sure all of you want our PC launch to be as successful as possible, and we simply won't be able to manage that any earlier than already planned.

I want to apologize for those of you who have gotten the game ahead of our release date, and ask for your patience and understanding. The game will be ready in the US and Canada at midnight eastern standard time on Monday, October 26th, and internationally by Friday, October 30th.

-Elizabeth"

Oh well, I've been really busy all weekend anyway.

[quote name='basilofbkrst']In a game with 87 BAZILLION guns, why do people give a fuck about those 8?!

Such a bs pre-order "item"[/QUOTE]

True that :bomb:

I'm amazed at the amount of bitching people have done because they wont unlock the game early. I've seen tons of people say that because of the way 2K/Gearbox treated people with the game already that they will not buy the game now. Are you fucking serious? It really seems that people don't understand the fact that it was the stores fault for breaking street date and not honoring the date 2K had set. Do these same people cry when they go to a concert and aren't let in seven hours early to meet the band simply because they have tickets?

Also, I love the people saying they wont buy the game because it has Securom, because, ya' know, the Steam version definitely doesn't come without it.:roll:

I really hate the world we live in where all these people whine like babies when they don't get their way. Then you get all the people who weren't likely going to get the game anyway all pigyback and act like they're taking some stand against the developer/publisher.

Ok the day AFTER I return the game, I find out Gearbox has fixed the long wait time for the join game list. While that's one issue thats fixed, it still freezes occassionally for me, especially on loading screens. Still, I'm definitely pissed about this.

[quote name='SEH']I'm amazed at the amount of bitching people have done because they wont unlock the game early. I've seen tons of people say that because of the way 2K/Gearbox treated people with the game already that they will not buy the game now. Are you fucking serious? It really seems that people don't understand the fact that it was the stores fault for breaking street date and not honoring the date 2K had set. Do these same people cry when they go to a concert and aren't let in seven hours early to meet the band simply because they have tickets?

Also, I love the people saying they wont buy the game because it has Securom, because, ya' know, the Steam version definitely doesn't come without it.:roll:

I really hate the world we live in where all these people whine like babies when they don't get their way. Then you get all the people who weren't likely going to get the game anyway all pigyback and act like they're taking some stand against the developer/publisher.[/QUOTE]

Especially when people whine that pirating makes it easier. Don't get me wrong, that's true, but all these precautions are because of pirating. The people who bitch about DRM and then go pirate it because it's easier (Not to mention free) are the problem.

Waiting for it to unlock on steam tomorrow. But SEH, the Steam version of Borderlands doesn't have securom. It only uses Steam for DRM.

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']Waiting for it to unlock on steam tomorrow. But SEH, the Steam version of Borderlands doesn't have securom. It only uses Steam for DRM.[/QUOTE]

I know, that was my point. These people saying they wont buy it because it has Securom, yet the Steam version has none. They're just trying to make an excuse for when they pirate it.

bread's done
Back