Borderlands Discussion Thread - Game of the Year Edition Available Now!

First of all, let me say that I am having a lot of fun, in general, playing BL -- level 27 siren and a level 24 soldier.

I have a question about the class mods. For instance, I have one that says +2 girl power and +2 finesse (?) When I look at my skill tree, it does not indicate that I am in possession of these powers (albeit, via a mod). It's really hard to tell, by playing it out, if they are actually working (eg. "um, ok, i guess my shields recharge 4% faster for 'a few seconds' after I kill someone"). I tried testing this out via gunplay and then I just threw my hands up and said, "Gee, could there be a BETTER way?! :wall:" Maybe it could be a different color, to indicate it's a mod and not a purchased skill?

You don't have to have a pre-existing point in said skill to get the increase, right? And I'm assuming that you can't go past five points. So are you guys re-spec'ing as soon as you find a good mod that overlaps with your chosen skills?

Honestly, aside from the inexcusable lack of a mini-map this is probably my largest gripe with the game. Holding select down in the middle of a firefight is no fun.

Also, I'm a little surprised that I've put in 15-20hrs and still haven't found any killer guns. I'd say about 95%+ are garbage. (And, yes I play with three people, which is why I am a little surprised)... I guess you have to play through twice. Ah, shades of Diablo ][. I guess I knew what I was getting in to.

I gave up trying to figure out if class mods worked or not. There's no visual representation to see if they actually extend or even function as if points were put in a skill. It's pretty awful that you have to guess or test the damn things just to see how/if they work. So to answer your questions: no idea.

No mini-map didn't really bother me, but the waypoint tracking system is fucking awful. Would it have killed them to create logical pathing of waypoints instead of saying 'oh hey, head through these mountains LULZ!' The lack thereof leads to marathons of opening the map, briefly studying it, only to open it again in like half a minute because you're ADD and can't remember shit.

The weapon generation system is terrible. Half the time I've thrown away amazing damage sniper rifles because they have little to NO zoom. Shouldn't it be mandatory for a SNIPER rifle to have a scope? I mean JFC guys, are you retarded? Not only that, but you can find green weapons that are better than orange because of certain mods. It makes no damn sense and every boss drop or quest reward is garbage. The best weapons I've found in the game came from either a chest or the vending machine. I find myself checking every machine I come across for epic loot moreso than what a boss drops.

Terrible.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']You do have to have at least one point in a skill for a class mod to add additional points. And it can add points beyond 5.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure about this? Also, many of the skills max out (level 5) at 100%... Are you saying they can go to 120% and beyond? Source?

One other comment:

Anyone else out there think that it would be more interesting if they would have opted to focus on several hundred hand-designed guns (with a lot more truly unique attributes/builds) than 1 bazillion marginally different weapons?

Just throwin' that out there.

Again, i like the game, not bashing it. Just sayin'.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=79940

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=81811

Or you can try it yourself... Just put max points into Diva or a similar skill, then equip the mod and watch your shield points grow.[/QUOTE]
And they didn't feel it was important enough to put this information in the manual, game, etc because. . ? Not like anyone would ever ask these questions. . .

Oh that's right, these are the same guys who are knowingly allowing duping in their game and obvious hacking before they 'crack down on cheaters'. Silly me.

Yeah, more documentation for this kind of stuff in the game would have been a real help. I guess they wanted to leave some of the mechanics a little mysterious so the community could figure them out over time. Or maybe it was just an oversight.

[quote name='coltyhuxx']One other comment:

Anyone else out there think that it would be more interesting if they would have opted to focus on several hundred hand-designed guns (with a lot more truly unique attributes/builds) than 1 bazillion marginally different weapons?

Just throwin' that out there.

Again, i like the game, not bashing it. Just sayin'.[/QUOTE]
It would have been better if there was consistency. For example, color of a weapon means nothing to me anymore. Level difference on a weapon means nothing either. The only factors that make up a gun are the mods and base damage, but they're so completely random it's like spinning the wheel of fortune. How is it even possible that a 23 green can do the same or better than a 46 orange because of base damage and times x shots? I've even seen some guns that even have hidden modifiers. A sniper rifle I found didn't list any zoom at all, but then it had close to 3.0 because it was better than my 2.4 by a lot.

I'm sure I've missed out on a lot of great guns just because they're spit out like candy and I don't have the patience to test them all. All I can do is glance them over once and sell away.

[quote name='Jodou'] I've even seen some guns that even have hidden modifiers. A sniper rifle I found didn't list any zoom at all, but then it had close to 3.0 because it was better than my 2.4 by a lot.[/QUOTE]

For guns/mods, the default UI will only display the first four modifiers, even though it can have five. Yeah, I was somewhat taken aback when I first discovered this. Without modifying config files, you have no real idea what a weapon is capable of....I just discovered this during the weekend, and as such it's quite possible I missed out on a ton of guns due to their full modifiers not being displayed. It's another thing in a laundry-list of complaints I have with the game....

Also, something I've always wondered...if a gun says it does damage of "70" and has a +50% damage text line, does that mean it does 70 damage per shot (modifier was factored in to the stat) or 105 damage per shot.

[quote name='Salamando3000']For guns/mods, the default UI will only display the first four modifiers, even though it can have five. Yeah, I was somewhat taken aback when I first discovered this. Without modifying config files, you have no real idea what a weapon is capable of....I just discovered this during the weekend, and as such it's quite possible I missed out on a ton of guns due to their full modifiers not being displayed. It's another thing in a laundry-list of complaints I have with the game....

Also, something I've always wondered...if a gun says it does damage of "70" and has a +50% damage text line, does that mean it does 70 damage per shot (modifier was factored in to the stat) or 105 damage per shot.[/QUOTE]
I knew it. How could this even conceivably get past testing? Guess I'll research the tweak for this one too. . .

With damage, I'm almost positive the mod listing is redundant and is already factored into the base that's displayed. I remember finding a shotgun that did 500 per shot with a mod of +667% damage. I shot something and it didn't do anywhere near 3335 damage.

Yea they really did a poor job with the generation of guns and their upper/lower limits in relation to their level/item level. I had a LEVEL 11 BLUE Combat Rifle until I was level 30 because even level 30 purples didn't compare. I also had a level 16 blue SMG that was way, way better than every other SMG I found for most of the game because it fired four projectiles instead of one and the reload rate was insanely fast.

I am all for making weapons unique and have variety like this but it would go a long way to making things more replayable and less frustrating if item level/rarity type actually had some correlation to the actual guns effectiveness along with the weapon descriptions being more accurate/understandable.

Aw shit, the % dmg mods aren't added to the base damage? And i need to have points in a skill to get the benefits of the class mods? Whoops...I mean, wooooow how mysterious...!

None of my friends have played this after a week and I went back to Demon's Souls while I wait for ACII/GOW:C. If the DLC isn't free on PC, I won't bother.

In fact, I might not care even if it is.

Just got to the vault last night.
What a lackluster ending. Keep your expectation low, very low and maybe you'll be surprised? I wasn't expecting anything amazing, but I was still left with the feeling of, "That's it?"

I love how we get an announcement of the announcement for the PC patch. Seriously guys? I don't know if anyone else has had this issue, but Borderlands has been the only game/software that has managed to completely lockup my Windows 7 system on multiple occasions.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']I really hope they decide to go free DLC for the PC, we've had to put up with a heaping helping of problems.[/QUOTE]

Free DLC? I sincerely doubt it.

[quote name='Jodou']None of my friends have played this after a week and I went back to Demon's Souls while I wait for ACII/GOW:C. If the DLC isn't free on PC, I won't bother.

In fact, I might not care even if it is.[/QUOTE]

If it keeps you from posting in Borderlands threads, I hope the DLC is nice and expensive.

Nice video preview, Hydro!

[quote name='BlueLobstah']I don't know if anyone else has had this issue, but Borderlands has been the only game/software that has managed to completely lockup my Windows 7 system on multiple occasions.[/QUOTE]

I've had zero problems running it on my Win 7 machine (64bit Ultimate). The whole game has been pretty much problem free for me. The only issue that I had was the other night when the bottles of booze weren't dropping in the instance. I exited the game and reloaded it and it was fine.

[quote name='eastx']If it keeps you from posting in Borderlands threads, I hope the DLC is nice and expensive.[/QUOTE]
You know I love it when you talk dirty to me!

Inteview about the new DLC. Comments on level cap increase and a storage chest ("we're working on it"), among other things:

GameInformer: Gearbox Talks DLC, Borderlands Level Cap

Throughout this interview, I couldn't help but think what his responses would sound like high. Who knows, maybe he was high? Especially that last sentence:

"It doesn’t even look like Borderlands anymore. I mean, it looks like Borderlands because of the art style, but it feels like this place I’ve never seen before. It’s gloomy, there’s trees and stuff, and it feels like I’m in a swamp."

THERE'S LIKE, TREES AND STUFF DUDE...

I don't believe DLC will cost money on PC. First off the consoles are getting it first and us after. Second, there are countless copies of borderlands out there that aren't tied to a DLC delivery service. It doesn't use GFWL, the only way you can sell the DLC then is Steam, and I would bet alot of the copies are retail. I think it adds up to us waiting for the content, but getting it for free. Which is fine by me.

PC Patch 1.01 released:

• Characters that have lost skill points will have the lost points refunded
  • Clients will no longer lose proficiency progress upon leaving a co-op game
  • Item cards now display the intended five lines of detail text
  • Lilith's Phase strike and melee attacks from Phase Walk now function as intended
  • Voicechat: users can now control volume and individually mute players
  • Fixed a bug that sometimes caused CL4P-TP to stop progressing during the introduction
  • Server browser population times have been improved
  • Server information should now always display the correct plot mission
  • Benchmarking feature now works as intended
  • Nvidia 3D Vision visuals now render shadows correctly (requires minimum 195.28 drivers, available from nVidia)

And there has been a fix for online problems which should be released soon:

The problems some users are experiencing with connectivity will be addressed in an upcoming update. A fix has been found and we'll deploy it as soon as possible. Link

Sweet! Good thing I haven't started the PC version yet... By the time the fall semester ends, everything will be straightened out.

BTW will someone invite me to the CAG Steam group please? Steam username: EastX.

Man, people still play this? It's pretty lulz-worthy right now with all the hacked guns running around. I should post my sniper rifle with 3k damage and 250% critical boost x2. A headshot insta-kills most bosses lol.

What level is Zombie Island intended for? I see level 35-37s in the screenshots.. will it scale? I tried Google'ing a few times and couldn't find my answer.

I'd think it would be pretty boring with a level 50 to tackle it, and I'm not really sure I'm ready to build a fresh char up to the mid-thirties.

A few of my wants in DLC/future releases:

• Would it have killed them to allow you to go to level...um 55? Just a little somethin-somethin to keep you moving up the skill tree, while still keeping you from mastering all three?

• I really hope that in Borderlands 2, we see EACH of the three skill trees have a primary skill. Needs more animated attacks, IMO for a little more visual diversity. And, of course, fix the guns!

• Another vehicle, please!

Not knocking the game tho.. I honestly really felt like it stayed fun through the end and the second playthrough is well balanced. I feel like a badass but I'm getting my ass handed back to me when I am careless.

It's also been one of the smoothest online experiences I've had. Easy to get into (and out of!) a game with friends and fairly bug-free.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Colty, from what I hear 1st playthrough version of the island is mid/end 30's, second playthrough is 50.[/QUOTE]

Tx, man. I am assuming that you can probably jump right into playthrough two... that would be the best way to set it up. Make everyone happy.

[quote name='Jodou']Man, people still play this? It's pretty lulz-worthy right now with all the hacked guns running around. I should post my sniper rifle with 3k damage and 250% critical boost x2. A headshot insta-kills most bosses lol.[/QUOTE]

Not everyone plays with the hacks though. My friends and I play on hosted Private games and none of us hack our stuff. We enjoy the game for what it is and don't want to dumb it down. No wonder you are bored of it already.

[quote name='Lokki']Not everyone plays with the hacks though. My friends and I play on hosted Private games and none of us hack our stuff. We enjoy the game for what it is and don't want to dumb it down. No wonder you are bored of it already.[/QUOTE]
Lol, we only started hacking guns because were already bored with the game. Being level 50 in playthrough 2 leaves you with nothing to do but start a new character. I only enjoy playing sniper classes, so that was that.

I've had some graphical glitches since downloading the patch. I have the game on Steam and after the patch was applied I am now getting big areas of black flickering textures and some other odd glitches (like water pop-in, shader issues, ect.). After doing some searching on forums I see that I'm not the only one having these issues post patch. Hopefully I can find a fix for this stuff soon.

[quote name='cgarb84']I've had some graphical glitches since downloading the patch. I have the game on Steam and after the patch was applied I am now getting big areas of black flickering textures and some other odd glitches (like water pop-in, shader issues, ect.). After doing some searching on forums I see that I'm not the only one having these issues post patch. Hopefully I can find a fix for this stuff soon.[/QUOTE]

Some users on the steam forums had the exact same problem as you. Some reported that toggling the dynamic shadows on/off fixed it. YMMV though.

[quote name='cgarb84']I've had some graphical glitches since downloading the patch. I have the game on Steam and after the patch was applied I am now getting big areas of black flickering textures and some other odd glitches (like water pop-in, shader issues, ect.). After doing some searching on forums I see that I'm not the only one having these issues post patch. Hopefully I can find a fix for this stuff soon.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I will try messing with the shadow settings, but the black flickering is so annoying. The water effects are really jacked up, like just barely appear as I walk over it.

Edit: No fix that I could find in the settings. I also noticed all the gun effects seems to be glitched. I see some of the lighting effects, but it also just random shows up or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't played in weeks. Got my 1st guy to level 30 and have stopped since. What is the main reason you ask? Well, I had made some tweaks to a few .ini's to enable zoom toggles and quick switch and a couple others; after playing some co-op then restarting the game I notice my .ini file had been overwritten and now my config files are so messed up, I can't re-add the modifications!

I finally completed the 1st playthrough with my main character last night. It took a while since I've had limited playtime and I've been working that character with friends in Co-op. I have to say that although the game hasn't been very challenging, I do enjoy it for what it is. I think some of the best co-op moments have been ramming each other's cars as we ride from mission to mission.

I'll continue to play it fir a while still. I'm also looking forward to the DLC. I may keep that character at 36 since the DLC is geared for mid-30s, and work on my other characters some more.

I do agree that the ending isn't anything special though.

[quote name='Lokki']I think some of the best co-op moments have been ramming each other's cars as we ride from mission to mission.[/QUOTE]
This. The game is far more satisfying trying to kill each other rather than the task at hand lol.

Just got through it with the hunter. I'm running through with the siren and have quickly learned that the hunter is the best class in the game. I guess that can be the new rule#1 for gaming: Snipers always win.

[quote name='plasticbathmonki']Just got through it with the hunter. I'm running through with the siren and have quickly learned that the hunter is the best class in the game. I guess that can be the new rule#1 for gaming: Snipers always win.[/QUOTE]
Welcome to the #1 club.

Has anyone else experienced framerate problems on the PS3 version? My game slows down even if nothing is going on (I can be standing still and it still slows down.

Wish my GPU didn't get so hot when playing this game, but... I guess it can't be helped. :/

Wish it didn't do that, so I could enjoy this game...

[quote name='slowdive21']oops sorry about that. Just so you guys know the pc version is 19.99 at gamestop.com right now![/QUOTE]

Whoa. Ok that is a bargain. Didn't it come out about a month ago? :lol: Is it that price in stores also?

[quote name='slowdive21']oops sorry about that. Just so you guys know the pc version is 19.99 at gamestop.com right now![/QUOTE]
Glad I triple stacked ECA for this game; I knew it would hit rock bottom after a month.

Ok so I finally had time to play this some more and got to the final boss..... and it kicked my ass. Any tips for beating this big bastard?

bread's done
Back