Borderlands GOTY Edition Hardcover Guide - $19.79

Dahk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
105 (100%)
http://www.amazon.com/Borderlands-G...ef=acc_glance_vg_ai_purchase_similarities_t_4

Not a bad price for this guide that covers Borderlands as well as all of the DLC that will be included on the GOTY Edition. Not sure how limited these will be.

Description:

This 600-page hardcover tome is the ultimate weapon for a game already teeming with guns. Packed with everything you need to dominate Borderlands and all four episodes of DLC, it s indispensible, collectible, and HUGE - even Brick needs two hands to hold it!
WALKTHROUGHS & MAPS FOR ALL THINGS BORDERLANDS!
Complete coverage of Borderlands and all DLC (The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned, Mad Moxxi s Underdome, The Secret Armory of General Knoxx, and Clap-Trap Revolution).
Features enhancements to our original Signature Series guide.
World Maps and Quest Indexes for finding what you need fast.
New developer tips from the Gearbox team.
All chest and quest point locations revealed on area maps.
GUNS GALORE!
The ULTIMATE REFERENCE for understanding the weapons system and how guns are generated, including the new Pearlescent guns.
Massive GUN CATALOG details over 400 weapons -an arsenal of guns (including Legendaries) from all five classes for each of the nine manufacturers.
Exhaustive GUN GLOSSARY decodes the meaning behind the modifiers.
VAULT HUNTER HEAVEN!
Glean the full potential of all four character classes
List of all class mods and advice for using them
Skill trees and strategies for building the ideal character
WASTELAND WANDERERS!
A comprehensive Bestiary of all enemies including the new DLC foes.
Our exclusive critical hit diagrams identify where to target each type for maximum damage.
Plus COMBAT DETAILS for every creature, including level data, attack styles, weaknesses, resistances, loot drop, and more!
CONCEPTUAL ART GALLERY!
We ve opened the vault of artist sketches at Gearbox - a never before seen treasure chest of drawings from the game creators, featuring the bizarre creatures and environments from the DLC!

If it turns to be like the Fallout GOTY edition, it will be hard to find in a couple years unless your willing to shell out $50 on ebay.

holy shit, that's gotta be the biggest page count hardcover yet..amirite?? thing must be heavy. I really may be in for one. Such a gamble sometimes to wait for a better deal ;) ;)

Amazon's "usual" price for a $34.99 retail HC guide doesn't disappoint again.

It's also $6 more than the current price for the non-GOTY guide in paperback.

[quote name='token2k6']holy shit, that's gotta be the biggest page count hardcover yet..amirite?? thing must be heavy. I really may be in for one. Such a gamble sometimes to wait for a better deal ;) ;)[/QUOTE]I think the Fallout 3 GOTY CE and Dragon Age CE guides are up in there in page count as well.

I'm not normally one to purchase strategy guides, but if I like the game enough and I can get it in hardcover, I have been caving on a few.

Love the game and the price is right, so I suppose in for one. The editorial review section lists it as 600 pages. The product detail section lists it as 432 pages. Regardless, that is on par with my Fallout GOTY hardcover.

Now, here's hoping they bring out a hardcover guide for the Dragon Age Ultimate Edition. The old hardcover CE is one that I have been wanting to pick up, but I dunno if its worth it since it wouldn't have Awakenings or any of the DLC in it.

Is it just me that while the Fallout hard cover I have is hard to find, it's completely useless? The paper quality isn't that great as it's light and thin (though the printing is in color) and the hard cover material isn't really what you'd find in something like a hard cover book. The whole thing just felt pretty cheap to me.

[quote name='ForeStorm']Is it just me that while the Fallout hard cover I have is hard to find, it's completely useless? The paper quality isn't that great as it's light and thin (though the printing is in color) and the hard cover material isn't really what you'd find in something like a hard cover book. The whole thing just felt pretty cheap to me.[/QUOTE]

I dunno if you are referring to the guide being useless from a strictly durability standpoint or not, but the content within is probably the best guide I have ever seen.

The paper is indeed the thin glossy type that you would find in a magazine or something, they probably did this to keep the book from being 4" thick. The cover itself seems durable enough to me. Granted, I haven't tried to bludgeon anyone to death with it yet or anything, but it seems to stand up to wear and tear well enough.

I saw it at BB the other day. Great looking guide and huge. Couldn't tell if the pages were glossy or matte. I'm definitely going to pick it up when I have a little money and then wait for the inevitable price drop on the game.

[quote name='NegativeZero']description says 600 pages, but amazon product details says 432? big diff.[/QUOTE]

I think the 432 is for the Borderlands non-GOTY guide

The real issue here is why would anyone need a guide for this game? With Fallout and Elder Scrolls these guides are worth it, but this game doesn't have that kind of depth.

[quote name='Tooki']The real issue here is why would anyone need a guide for this game? With Fallout and Elder Scrolls these guides are worth it, but this game doesn't have that kind of depth.[/QUOTE]
Borderlands is one of my favorite games of all time, but I have to agree that a strategy guide for it seems like kind of a silly idea. It's a pretty simple and straightforward game.

If I picked this up it would be for stuff like concept art, behind the scenes or making-of type information, etc. Has anyone seen the guide yet?

After staring at the page all day I finally bit. I love borderlands too much to not buy something that promises pretty pretty pictures inside.

Hopefully, Borders carries this. I'd definitely buy it with a 40% off coupon and my $15 Border Bucks from e-rewards. :)

It sounds cool, but I just can't justify buying a guide for Borderlands at retail. I mean, I love the game, but it's ultra-linear. You pretty much see everything in Pandora just by playing it. Don't worry about missing the romantic subplot or side missions. Still, it's tempting just because it's Borderlands. Now that New Vegas Guide, I had to get.

Mine will be here Wednesday! Amazon Prime is the Devil, and I have become a sucker for game guides as of late! Picked this game up on a steam sale with the first 3 DLC's and have been waiting to dive in, I guess I have a reason now! :lol:

The New Vegas CE guide is worthless because there will be a GOTY New Vegas hardbound guide a year from now... I'll get THAT one.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']The New Vegas CE guide is worthless because there will be a GOTY New Vegas hardbound guide a year from now... I'll get THAT one.[/QUOTE]

IDK, F:NV doesn't have all the hype going into it, and it will depend if the DLC has legs or not. If only 2 expansions get released, then I doubt, considering there has been no talk of DLC (but really, I'm outta the loop on that stuff)

I saw this at Best Buy and am really tempted to get it. If the price holds until Saturday, I will definitely get it.

My copy arrived, though multiple corners were crushed, probably due to the shrinkwrapping process by the manufacturer. Could've also happened in shipment. Already talked to Amazon about getting it replaced.

It is a huge guide, no question. It might be the thickest guide I own, which isn't saying much when compared to F3: GOTY CE, DA: O CE, Halo Reach CE, and Bayonetta.

[quote name='shrike4242']My copy arrived, though multiple corners were crushed, probably due to the shrinkwrapping process by the manufacturer. Could've also happened in shipment. Already talked to Amazon about getting it replaced.[/QUOTE]

IDK shrike, these bent corners you talk about, how bad was it?..I noticed them on 4 Bioshock 2 CE guides from BB and I noticed it on this Borderlands guide on the shelf. I think it does have to do with the shrink wrapping on the actual guide, rather than shipping. Stick in a bubble mailer, sure, it's going to get bent even more, but they need to put it in a box. That is how my Halo Reach LE guide came and it was perfect..hope you get a better one sent out! request a freaking box!!

Hey shrike could you maybe post a pic? Like just one of the guide itself, and then a comparison?? If I order this, I want my money's worth!

[quote name='shrike4242']My copy arrived, though multiple corners were crushed, probably due to the shrinkwrapping process by the manufacturer. Could've also happened in shipment. Already talked to Amazon about getting it replaced.

It is a huge guide, no question. It might be the thickest guide I own, which isn't saying much when compared to F3: GOTY CE, DA: O CE, Halo Reach CE, and Bayonetta.[/QUOTE]

How is it in quality wise?
Is the guide worth owning one if you have Borderlands?

[quote name='token2k6']IDK shrike, these bent corners you talk about, how bad was it?..I noticed them on 4 Bioshock 2 CE guides from BB and I noticed it on this Borderlands guide on the shelf. I think it does have to do with the shrink wrapping on the actual guide, rather than shipping. Stick in a bubble mailer, sure, it's going to get bent even more, but they need to put it in a box. That is how my Halo Reach LE guide came and it was perfect..hope you get a better one sent out! request a freaking box!![/QUOTE]It may be due to the shrinkwrapping, though if it happens a second time, I know it'll be from the shrinkwrapping process.

The guide was packed in a box, though it was a bit larger than it should have been and it may have happened from movement in shipment. It's been the first guide I've had that was shrinkwrapped and ran into this issue, and all of my CE guides have come from Amazon.

[quote name='Mr Dude65']Hey shrike could you maybe post a pic? Like just one of the guide itself, and then a comparison?? If I order this, I want my money's worth![/QUOTE]The guide's still shrinkwrapped and back in its shipping box, so not much to snap pics of right now. I can tell you it is the thickest guide I've run into, and I have most of the CE guides from the past few years.

[quote name='sherisdoppel']How is it in quality wise?
Is the guide worth owning one if you have Borderlands?[/QUOTE]I haven't opened it, as it was going back to Amazon. For sheer volume of information, I'd say it's probably worth it from the size of the guide. Beyond that, I can't say.

Hmm this is very interesting to me. Other than the pictures, concept art, maps and such why wouldn't someone just use all the borderlands wikis on the net for info or is it a collector's thing?

[quote name='Spybreak8']Hmm this is very interesting to me. Other than the pictures, concept art, maps and such why wouldn't someone just use all the borderlands wikis on the net for info or is it a collector's thing?[/QUOTE]

For being handy is one thing, but not everyone has laptops or desktops near their entertainment setups including video game consoles, HDTV's and sofas.
Also a major number of people prefer reading on a book rather than on a computer.

well my only problem with the maps for this particular game is how each 'area' has several exits that take you to another place. I remember having to travel thru '3' areas b/c I would be too lazy/not find a fast travel system. The paperback guide really doesn't label all these areas, and its like 1 map will be on page 30, an area right next to it could be on page 100; so in game you just look for the star and that's where the teleport is. Now, if somehow, someone had a huge giant foldout map, that would be perfect, this is like the only game I can think of that REALLY needs one!

[quote name='sherisdoppel']For being handy is one thing, but not everyone has laptops or desktops near their entertainment setups including video game consoles, HDTV's and sofas.
Also a major number of people prefer reading on a book rather than on a computer.
1.gif
[/QUOTE]
Yea thats very true. I much prefer reading a book than reading on a screen, much easier on my eyes.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']Got mine in today. Got damn, this thing is sexy. I'm glad I bought it. It will be OOP soon.[/QUOTE]

ok, that is the first, and hopefully the last time I hear 'sexy' in regards to anything video game related. Terms like 'bad-ass', 'kick-ass', 'super cool' or even just plain 'ol 'awesome' will be just fine..:lol:

I'd be okay with shrink wrapped pics, shrike! lol

I'm really just wanting to see HOW big it really is. If you could just snap a pic of the guide and maybe a comparison shot with a fallout guide or something, you'd help me out a lot!

[quote name='token2k6']ok, that is the first, and hopefully the last time I hear 'sexy' in regards to anything video game related. Terms like 'bad-ass', 'kick-ass', 'super cool' or even just plain 'ol 'awesome' will be just fine..:lol:[/QUOTE]

Gotta say, I slightly agree, but the Dead Space 2 CE really is sexy. It completely deserves the use of the word. This guide, however, not so much, lol.

[quote name='Mr Dude65']I'd be okay with shrink wrapped pics, shrike! lol

I'm really just wanting to see HOW big it really is. If you could just snap a pic of the guide and maybe a comparison shot with a fallout guide or something, you'd help me out a lot![/QUOTE]

Not very good quality since the wife has the digital camera with her and I had to use my phone, but here ya go:

Corners were also a bit banged up on my copy. And it is pretty damn close to the exact same size as the fallout CE even though it has an increased page count. It is about half an inch wider, though.

IMAG0018.jpg

IMAG0019.jpg

IMAG0022.jpg

bread's done
Back