Bought a TV recently? Tell me about it

ShockandAww

CAGiversary!
Feedback
110 (100%)
Mine hasn't arrived yet but I bought a Toshiba 55WX800u from Amazon Warehouse for $740 + got 3 pairs of 3D glasses for it (also from AW) for $58. So about $800 total and the TV is apparently in "good" condition. I posted about it elsewhere already but I want to hear what other people are getting/have gotten also.

For myself and my order I'm concerned about 2 things basically. One is of course that I got it from Amazon Warehouse so there's no telling what could be wrong with it. I'm just hoping for the best there. Second is the fact that it's got a glass surface and is apparently pretty reflective. Anyone own a glass TV that can tell me anything about it? Is it crazy reflective and annoying or what?

Anyway what deals have you gotten recently on a TV? If you have 3D do you think it's worth it?

I have two 3d Tv's one in my living room a Sony 55HX800 and about a month ago I bought for my bedroom a LG 42LW5300. The Sony TV uses active shutter glasses and after my kids breaking two pairs of them and my wife and I wanting a new TV for our bedroom I decided to get the LG which is a passive 3d Tv. I think the 3d is worth it for the occasional movie and certainly for 3d gaming. It's nice to watch a movie in 3d at home when we want too as having young children I don't get to the theater as much as I used too. In truth I actually prefer the LG because the passive glasses are so much lighter and way cheaper than the Sony Tv's active shutter and there isn't much difference between them when comparing the 3d except for differences in the Tv's themselves such as the Sony having better colors. As for reflectivity my Sony TV is glass and it reflects although not when your actually watching it as it has some kind of screen treatment but when it's off it reflects everything. I got the LG Tv in a bundle that included 4 pairs of glasses and a 3d blu ray player (although I don't even use it just my Ps3) and a $50 dollar GC to Bestbuy included @ BB for $699. I thought the LG was a great deal as the TV is better than I expected overall for a passive 3d Tv.

Sounds like everyone got some good deals then. Obi how did you get it for free? A gift?

I (finally..) got my TV on Monday and it is awesome. Very glad I jumped on it. Before I had some random 46 inch RCA 1080i tv that was like 5 years old. The difference in color and clarity between my old and new TVs is pretty amazing. I didnt even bother calibrating my new TV yet and the colors and crispness/clarity still looks way better than any other TV I've owned.

And yeah blissskr I see what you mean by the reflectiveness. Mine is like a damn mirror when turned off or showing black (so Im nervous about watching anything dark) but just for normal viewing you really have to look to see any reflections. I'll probably watch something dark like Drive or The Dark Knight to see how it is.

As for the 3D I had read that my TVs wasnt all that great. The first thing I tried was the Cars 2 video game and there is a lot of ghosting, though it still looked pretty decent. I then tried Coraline 3D and it looked fantastic imo. It does get darker and it isn't perfect, but damn it still looks great.

Overall I'm extremely impressed with it and am glad I jumped on it for $800.

[quote name='Obiwan456']Well about a week ago or so I got a 42" 1080p Toshiba tv for free.[/QUOTE]
Free? How? One that 'fell off the back of a truck'. If so, lemme know which way that truck was headed cuz I'd like a couple free ones myself.:booty:

Damn. I wish I had an awesome relative like that. The closest I came to having some free tv's was when the one local hotel was changing out their SD ones for LCD's and they were giving away the old type tv's. But I couldn't convince my dad to go grab them. Then again, I think they had somewhere around 100+ at one hotel in the chain and 40+ at another.:lol:

I picked up the 46" westinghouse @ 298 during the black friday sale, my brother and I both got one, his was fine. Mine had this weird issue where it would be fine for days then have an issue where it would drop and detect the signal over and over. At the price I paid i was still more than happy but because it was under warranty sent it to westinghouse, they paid 100 for the shipping lol, and are now sending me a 50 or 55 replacement.

My friends just got 3 tvs, one 32" passive 3d visio, and 2 samsung 51" active. In a week we basically burned through all the 3d games and tv movies..even saw what a pron looked like. I believe the tvs were 400, and 800, both with apps @ 1080 also the samsung game apps are so bad that there good.

So far nothing as good as avatar for the 3d, and some games like Gears 3, is definitely rushed so certain things like zooming in on a turret is part 2d/3d and hurts the eyes.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Damn. I wish I had an awesome relative like that. The closest I came to having some free tv's was when the one local hotel was changing out their SD ones for LCD's and they were giving away the old type tv's. But I couldn't convince my dad to go grab them. Then again, I think they had somewhere around 100+ at one hotel in the chain and 40+ at another.:lol:[/QUOTE]

Well that's no reason to not grab them. Who couldn't use 140 SD tvs?

[quote name='Obiwan456']Well that's no reason to not grab them. Who couldn't use 140 SD tvs?[/QUOTE]
I know. But my dads up in age and I don't think he had anywhere big enough to store all of them. But eventually the ads did disappear, so someone either went and got them all or they junked em.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I know. But my dads up in age and I don't think he had anywhere big enough to store all of them. But eventually the ads did disappear, so someone either went and got them all or they junked em.[/QUOTE]

You must be Canadian, they don't get sarcasm

[quote name='Theenternal']I picked up the 46" westinghouse @ 298 during the black friday sale, my brother and I both got one, his was fine.[/QUOTE]
My sister got that one as well (Walmart, right?) It's actually a great tv for the price, only thing I don't like is the touch sensitive buttons.

bread's done
Back