Bought an "M" rated game at Target, and they scanned my driver's license.

Haggar

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
From the Big Brother Is Watching department-

My local (New Jersey) Target recently got all new registers and I guess this is the first time I've purchase a mature rated game since then. I saw Afro Samurai on clearance for $14.98 and picked it up on a whim.

At the register, while ringing my items the game got flagged as usual for a mature game. In the past, the cashier would just look at you (obviously the screen would prompt for age check) and since I am much older than 17, the clerk would just hit "yes" (I assume) and go on.

Today, the cashier asked to see my driver's license. So I showed it to her, and she scanned the barcode on the back of the license. I was very surprised by this. I know they have to check for minors but I do not look anywhere near the age of a minor and my birth date is on the license.

I just was caught off guard and I thought it was a little much to buy a video game. It's not like you can use games to bake meth or anything.

[quote name='Haggar']From the Big Brother Is Watching department-

My local (New Jersey) Target recently got all new registers and I guess this is the first time I've purchase a mature rated game since then. I saw Afro Samurai on clearance for $14.98 and picked it up on a whim.

At the register, while ringing my items the game got flagged as usual for a mature game. In the past, the cashier would just look at you (obviously the screen would prompt for age check) and since I am much older than 17, the clerk would just hit "yes" (I assume) and go on.

Today, the cashier asked to see my driver's license. So I showed it to her, and she scanned the barcode on the back of the license. I was very surprised by this. I know they have to check for minors but I do not look anywhere near the age of a minor and my birth date is on the license.

I just was caught off guard and I thought it was a little much to buy a video game. It's not like you can use games to bake meth or anything.[/QUOTE]

That is odd. I'm use to them asking for your license, and just looking at them. I don't see what the point of scanning it was. I mean the date is on license.

Could be that. Could also be their way of making sure that the employee is actually doing their job, rather than just guessing. You know they often crack down on this stuff, and I'm sure the company doesn't want to get bitched out for selling a mature game to a "kid" (aka some 17 year old that looks like he is 30). Because, as we all know, if some "kid" buys GTA, he will kill his family and rape all of the dogs in his city.

They did it because too many people were calling themselves McLovin or Douche McBaggins.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Could be that. Could also be their way of making sure that the employee is actually doing their job, rather than just guessing. You know they often crack down on this stuff, and I'm sure the company doesn't want to get bitched out for selling a mature game to a "kid" (aka some 17 year old that looks like he is 30). Because, as we all know, if some "kid" buys GTA, he will kill his family and rape all of the dogs in his city.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with this post. Without a doubt it's what has happened. But you only have to be 17 to buy an M rated game. So it's the 16 year olds that look like they're 30 Target is watching out for.

Target can get bent. They are not scanning my driver's license.

EDIT: Oh, I misunderstood at first. I thought they put the driver's license under a copy machine or something. Now they're tapped into the DMV. This is still quite bad.

Back when I used to work in a convenience store, all ID checks (usually for cigarettes) that involved driver licenses had to be scanned through the lottery machine near the register. For those that were too lazy to do the math, it told the cashier the exact age of the person, as well as verified that the ID was valid. Pretty sure that's all that's going on here.

[quote name='KingBroly']That doesn't seem legal.[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure about the legality of scanning the ID, but they can check for age.

I've had this happen in at least two separate Target stores to me, although I'm well over 17. Some just ask your birthday and manually enter it and others scan your license. Although now that I think about it what if you use your passport as valid identification? They can't scan that. I think I'll give this a try when I hit up the clearance on Monday just to see what happens.

overboard...

it's a license that is verified by the barcode.... how else are they going to enforce the age of people?

If it keeps tweens from purchasing movies/games they probably shouldn't, why not.

Not like anyone here has come up with a better idea?

Plus if it is "Big Brother".... or any ploy to watch you... you know Target keeps track of every purchase and Walmart too, they can pull reports saying that All the people buying games are also buying a 12 pack of soda in 78% of the time in the same purchase and anti-crab cream 20% of the time.

The Gov would never care who buys it or with what anyways... You'd be more worried about the marketing strategy of Target/WM and the likes more....

That would be a pain in the ass if your barcode was faded. I used to work at a white-trash video store and scanning the ID brought up the account, without the barcode you'd have to manually type in the number. Just inconvenient in a retail setting.

[quote name='Ziv']Totally agree with this post. Without a doubt it's what has happened. But you only have to be 17 to buy an M rated game. So it's the 16 year olds that look like they're 30 Target is watching out for.[/QUOTE]

True, true. I always forget that Mature is 17+. And that's what often opens the floodgates for these idiotic politicians who say that "children" are legally buying mature games.

[quote name='Haggar']From the Big Brother Is Watching department-

I just was caught off guard and I thought it was a little much to buy a video game. It's not like you can use games to bake meth or anything.[/QUOTE]

I work at Target and we recently got new software that no longer allows you to simply skip checking for the age (uber annoying). All the scanning of the driver's license does is tell us your birthday instead of the cashier having to find your birthdate on the license and type it in. No tracking or anything is done.

There used to be just one button to bypass the age check. Too many people were doing that without checking.

Then they got rid of the button and made you swipe the ID or just key their birthdate. Too many people were keying 01/01/whateveryear.

Now, you have no choice but to ask for an ID.

And yes, I was one of those employees (supervisors, actually) that did all that stuff to bypass the age check.

If you're really upset about it, write a letter. Or just buy your games at another store. Or just hand over your ID and it'll be over with in like 5 seconds.

I remember Walmart checking my license when I bought Fallout 2 back in the day. I don't see what the big deal is. I guess some people just see conspiracies everywhere.

They can do whatever they want as far as checking ID "legally". Of course, you have the right to refuse and just not purchase the game there.

Anyway, Friday, I too ran into this when I bought L4D on clearance (finally found it whoo-hoo!). The CSR tried just putting in a random b-day, but the system then prompted for a Supervisor's override approval or something like that. I suppose if one really cared about "protecting" their license from scanning, they could bitch and moan and a supervisor would come over and give an 'eyes only' check of the ID.

Though if you're really paranoid, I hope you keep your cell phone off and never make a purchase with a credit card or store's rewards club card. ;)

The register will usually prompt the cashier to enter the persons birth date when someone buys a M rated game. swiping the license through the scanner is way easier than typing that crap in. Mainly just legal BS that stores have to do to sell age restricted items.

Get over it people.

Any purchase you make by credit card is tracked, nothing new. They are just making sure the cashier is doing their job and covering their ass.

What I don't understand is the Targets by me do this for games, but I can buy liquor all day and they never ask to scan my ID, I guess a kid with a copy of Left 4 Dead is far more dangerous then a kid with a fifth of Jack, haha. What makes this worse is here in IL they recently changed the driver's licenses and I have the new style which never reads right and always requires manager override.

BEWARE of this license scanning shennanigans. That's "MARK OF THE BEAST" stuff right there. I had this happen to me the last time I purchased an M game at Target and flipped shit on the girl at the register and told her she can see it but there was no way in hell she was scanning the barcode into Target's computer systems. What the fuck does an evil corporate entity need with my fucking license barcode in their system? Think about all the things someone or something could do with that info. Remember "Minority Report"?

Well, my initial thoughts is that I really don't care. However, I remember something interesting back in Michigan. About a year or 2 ago, there was a gas station with a glitch in their fuel pumps, so if you scanned your license, you could get free gas. Well, the Secretary of State worked with them to track the people down.

I think it's rediculous to think that Target isn't going to keep this information. If they scan your license, at some point, it's going into a database for their marketing department. That isn't bad, until some lunatic goes out and shoots his family, and someone figures out that this same guy has 200 M rated titles. Don't think the media won't jump to conclusions on that.

Outiside of that aspect, I'm not thrilled by this, but it's the route the world is going.

I had this happen to me the last time I purchased an M game at Target and flipped shit on the girl at the register and told her she can see it but there was no way in hell she was scanning the barcode into Target's computer systems.
Correction... "I avoided eye contact with the girl at the register and muttered something under my breath out of earshot when I walked away". C'mon now, this is a forum... we're only badasses when we're hiding behind message board screenames, nice try though.

Anyways, this just reeks of conspiracy... no way am I do letting them scan my personal information onto their internet satelite network system thingy. I don't need Soundwave knowing whether or not I'm an organ donor.

Just a way to check for fake IDs. Some liquor stores and bars scan ids as well.

It's perfectly legal, and I doubt it saves any info. It should just be scanning the barcode and popping up whether or not your name and driver's license info match what's in your states DMV (or whatever your state's motor vehicle department is callled) database to verify that it's a valid ID.

Even if they store your address or something, what's the worst that can happen? You start getting flyers and coupons in the mail? Much ado about nothing here IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stores are starting to store way to much of customers information lately in my opinion...... To many stores are asking for my address, number, name, etc..... They don't just ask these things and move on they are totally saving the info, like totally! Sooner or later they're gonna want my info when i buy a snickers bar or have those swipe things that banks do just to get into a store.... I is are be scared...... :'( Teh robits are watching, get the tin foil ready and stock up on pop tarts! HUAR!

[quote name='howlinmad']Get over it people.

Any purchase you make by credit card is tracked, nothing new. They are just making sure the cashier is doing their job and covering their ass.[/QUOTE]Hahaha yeah exactly. I have no problem dealing with an age restriction on retail games (and the minor inconveniences that come with it) if it allows developers to make mature titles without government intervention.

[quote name='USB Cable']Stores are starting to store way to much of customers information lately in my opinion...... To many stores are asking for my address, number, name, etc..... They don't just ask these things and move on they are totally saving the info, like totally! Sooner or later they're gonna want my info when i buy a snickers bar or have those swipe things that banks do just to get into a store.... I is are be scared...... :'( Teh robits are watching, get the tin foil ready and stock up on pop tarts! HUAR![/QUOTE]

Dood. You can just drop off the grid if you need to. Just make sure you're watching out for them so that can't catch you before you drop off.

[quote name='Ziv']Totally agree with this post. Without a doubt it's what has happened. But you only have to be 17 to buy an M rated game. So it's the 16 year olds that look like they're 30 Target is watching out for.[/QUOTE]
You would think that would be the case, but six moinths ago (one month before my 18th birthday) I tried to buy an M rated game at Target and I was denied. According to the cashier and the manager, if something gets flagged as an M game or an R movie, Target won't sell the item to anyone under the age of 18. I was so fucking pissed.

They also swipe IDs at certain night clubs, that are more on the higher end. They might think its easier/quicker to swipe than it is to use a blacklight and read.

[quote name='Moffman82']BEWARE of this license scanning shennanigans. That's "MARK OF THE BEAST" stuff right there. I had this happen to me the last time I purchased an M game at Target and flipped shit on the girl at the register and told her she can see it but there was no way in hell she was scanning the barcode into Target's computer systems. What the fuck does an evil corporate entity need with my fucking license barcode in their system? Think about all the things someone or something could do with that info. Remember "Minority Report"?[/QUOTE]

oh god i hope you're being sarcastic

bread's done
Back