Bought an NES today and I've got some questions. Can anyone help?

thecoryjihad

CAGiversary!
Feedback
44 (84%)
This is my first NES and I bought it with 6 games and it seems that only one of the six games work. When I pop the five games in, the power light flashes on and off and I don't get any picture or sound. Pardon my ignorance, but I assume that means the games aren't working. Am I right in assuming this and is there anything I can do to fix it?

Try these 3 steps in order:

1. Blow on cartridge
2. Clean game contacts with rubbing alcohol
3. replace 72-pin connector (n/a it its a top loader)

I replaced the 72 pin connector on mine and gave it a good cleaning (rubbing alcohol and compressed air only). There are videos on youtube to show you how. Avoid messing with anything that you don't need to.

Also, I purchased the drive bits required to open most games. I used a brass cleaner to polish the connectors. It is a good idea to clean any cartrige game you get. A few that I have opened have had dried 20 year old soda inside the catridge.

After I did this, my NES fires up first time every time.

Your games are most likely fine. NES systems are known for being remarkably finicky about actually playing. You will find many, MANY different opinions about how to go about fixing that. Here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qu2DhvpydI

As many good results as I hear from replacing the pin connector, you might just try the above stuff first (along with cleaning the carts/system). It'll usually work well enough, and you don't have to risk your system by opening it up and messing with its parts (something I've always been paranoid about.)

The original NES systems are some of the most indestructible consoles ever. I read a story of someone having theirs being submerged in a flooded basement and after making sure the inside was clean and dry it booted up no problem. Try that with one of today's units.

If you have any farmers markets nearby you should see if they have any old games. There are a few near where I live (eastern PA) and I've found many an old NES and even Atari games for dirt cheap. It's hit or miss though.

Don't blow into the carts like someone above suggested. Your spittle will only help corrode the contacts.

Scrubbing the cart contacts with Q-tips dipped in isopropyl alcohol should do the trick. Just go at the suckers until your fresh Q-tips are coming out clean. Be sure to let the carts dry for at least an hour afterward as you run the risk of damaging your console by sticking a moist cart in there.

Depending on your console, some games may be more finicky than others to get playing even after they're clean. Try slightly adjusting the cart in the connector and hitting reset until you find the "sweet spot" and get past the flashing screen. Welcome to the wonderful world of NES!

Back in the day you could take your Nintendo carts to a Nintendo Authorized Service provider and they would clean the carts/NES/SNES for you taking care of that symptom the majority of the time.

Blowing on the contacts caused moisture and in combination with the scraping when you remove and re-insert the game cased that trick to work though, as has been mentioned can lead to more corrosion. The Nintendo Authorized provider used some flat shammy type swabs and felt insert carts on the machine etc.

Instead of alcohol which will evaporate and leave contacts dry to corode again I recommend a contact cleaner which will lubricate and protect the contacts in both the cart and the NES.

I just keep fucking around it until it works.

1. stick game inside
2. power on
3. if it doesn't work, keep adjusting the cartridge while the power is still on, this causes the NES to reset itself every second.
4. keep adjusting until game works, power off, power on.
5. Play NES games.

bread's done
Back