Bought my 3DS today...Got mugged.

Nukkus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
My gst rebate came in today, which meant i finally had enough to get the 3DS and a few games. Went to Gamestop, bought an aqua blue, steel diver, street fighter, and pilotwings. I get out in the parking lot, and this huge black guy in a hoodie with a balisong mugs me for it. I go in, no one in the store saw anything, and the police say there's nothing that can be done without a witness. FML.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was robbed once at gunpoint, and they took my cell phone, digital camera, and credit cards. It makes me paranoid about carrying my 3DS with me, for fear of being robbed again.

I'm so sorry. That really just sucks. :(

That stinks! Sounds like that Gamestop is located in a bad area.

Even though I'm a big guy myself, I'd prefer going out with friends, not on my own, for any reason. Extra protection puts my mind at ease.

[quote name='Batcave Dweller']

Even though I'm a big guy myself, I'd prefer going out with friends, not on my own, for any reason. Extra protection puts my mind at ease.[/QUOTE]

Pssshh. It's easy to have that extra sense of protection when your friends are Dick Grayson, Barbara Gordon, Diana Prince, Wally West and Clark Kent.

[quote name='Mad D']Pssshh. It's easy to have that extra sense of protection when your friends are Dick Grayson, Barbara Gordon, Diana Prince, Wally West and Clark Kent.[/QUOTE]

I'd prefer Big Barda. :D

[quote name='Nukkus']My gst rebate came in today, which meant i finally had enough to get the 3DS and a few games. Went to Gamestop, bought an aqua blue, steel diver, street fighter, and pilotwings. I get out in the parking lot, and this huge black guy in a hoodie with a balisong mugs me for it. I go in, no one in the store saw anything, and the police say there's nothing that can be done without a witness. FML.[/QUOTE]

Dude, sorry to here, that. did PD write up a report? i mean, if you had just gotten it, Game stop, i think, should be able to give you a copy of the receipt for the PD report. That blows Bro. did you run back in to GS right after it happened?

& That's why i went & got my conceals permit.

[quote name='fullhavok']Dude, sorry to here, that. did PD write up a report? i mean, if you had just gotten it, Game stop, i think, should be able to give you a copy of the receipt for the PD report. That blows Bro. did you run back in to GS right after it happened?

& That's why i went & got my conceals permit.[/QUOTE]
Exactly. Aren't Nintendo console serial numbers recorded at the point of sale? The employees should be able to look it up.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Exactly. Aren't Nintendo console serial numbers recorded at the point of sale? The employees should be able to look it up.[/QUOTE]

It should be and should DEFINITELY be in the police report. That's how they nabbed the guy who stole my car stereo a few years back. Kept the box with the serial No., added it to the report and they caught the guy with my stereo + 11 others in the middle of town by matching the report with the S/N of the stereo in his back seat.

[quote name='confoosious']unless the dude is incredibly stupid, they're never gonna catch him.

the cops don't care.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, this is most likely the case. In most cities, cops have had to deal with a lot of budget cuts and they're not going to spend their limited resources tracking down a stolen console.

Your best bet is get the serial number (should be on the receipt) and hand it out to as many places as you can find that accept trade ins or resells items (pawn shops, consignment places, game stores, etc.) and start looking on Craigslist/eBay for any 3DS being sold in your area. Since you bought it new, make sure to tell them that in case somebody tries to trade in a new 3DS... also tell them the color. It's not much, but it'll narrow things down a bit.

I've had people ask me for the serial number in the past for this reason (I only give them in first few and the last few digits- so they can't register it themselves or something) when I sold electronics on eBay.

um wht state do you live in?

Homeowners insurance may cover that.. you have a deductible to pay but personal property is covered.

If you have the report and the receipt you should be good to go...

Now if the deductible is more than the stuff you still have an option. With almost all Homeowners policies you have 30 days to schedule new items. So you can individually put on item on your policy with $0 deductible and there is a small surcharge to do so. If its stolen or lost you can claim it.

A lot of people do this with jewelry and or expensive electronics (cell phones, cameras, tvs, etc, Video game or movie collections).

Just an FYI. Dont let your insurance agent say you cant schedule new items you have 30 days, get a copy of your policy and read it... and remember you had every intention to schedule this prior to it getting stolen you just had not got home to do so yet.

That sucks bro. I hope justice is served. This reminds me. I was looking on craiglist (NY) for the 3DS and some guy was selling one brand new for $150. He claimed to have won it in a "raffle draw" and was in need of some quick cash :bs:

[quote name='AZR43L']That sucks bro. I hope justice is served. This reminds me. I was looking on craiglist (NY) for the 3DS and some guy was selling one brand new for $150. He claimed to have won it in a "raffle draw" and was in need of some quick cash :bs:[/QUOTE]

Could be true. Best Buy in NYC did had raffles for 3DS at the launch day event. A radio station and some other stores/places/events did too.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BmBoWnZ']I say we collect donations for this here guy.. $5 a person could go a long way. PM me OP[/QUOTE]

In that case, I got mugged too.

The really sucks man.

At least you are alive and not hurt, I'm sure karma will come around and do you right for the shit you just went through.

so now nintendo hangs up from me, they delete my posts on the nintendo support boards, they refuse to answer my emails, and suspiciously my post on twitter about the whole affair has vanished. wtf?

Perhaps, but frankly Nintendo has zero responsibility or obligation in this matter... They can't be faulted for the theft, or the security (or lack thereof) of GS, or the police's handling of the matter.

[quote name='Ruahrc']Perhaps, but frankly Nintendo has zero responsibility or obligation in this matter... They can't be faulted for the theft, or the security (or lack thereof) of GS, or the police's handling of the matter.[/QUOTE]

yeah, but all i'm trying to do is get them to call GS and ask them to give up a copy of the reciept, so that i can use that to file a police report.

[quote name='Nukkus']so now nintendo hangs up from me, they delete my posts on the nintendo support boards, they refuse to answer my emails, and suspiciously my post on twitter about the whole affair has vanished. wtf?[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you got Reggie'd.

This is why I order expensive and small stuff online, if it gets taken in shipment or doesn't make it to me then it is the problem of the company who shipped it to me. Since I almost always order from amazon I can trust them to deliver a package. I can't trust the area I am in when walking out of a store with small expensive electronics. Our Gamestop here is situated in a way where you go in the front door and you have to walk all the way around the back of the building to get to your car which would be an easy opportunity to get mugged. There is no parking in the front of the store by the door. I have no idea if they have cameras back there or not but I doubt it.

With the way things are going here they are gonna start robbing groceries out of shopping carts and taking gas out of gas tanks since groceries are so expensive and gas is so expensive now.

But seriously I feel bad for you, the only thing I can tell you is there are quite a few contests out there for 3DS systems, if you enter one you might get lucky.

[quote name='Nukkus']yeah, but all i'm trying to do is get them to call GS and ask them to give up a copy of the reciept, so that i can use that to file a police report.[/QUOTE]
If the store isn't going to give you a receipt for some reason, I don't think Nintendo calling them will help. Call GameStop corporate, ask for Documents, eventually you'll talk to someone who can help you.

[quote name='botticus']If the store isn't going to give you a receipt for some reason, I don't think Nintendo calling them will help. Call GameStop corporate, ask for Documents, eventually you'll talk to someone who can help you.[/QUOTE]

gamestops response is all in store complaints have to be handled in store -_-;

[quote name='AZR43L']That sucks bro. I hope justice is served. This reminds me. I was looking on craiglist (NY) for the 3DS and some guy was selling one brand new for $150. He claimed to have won it in a "raffle draw" and was in need of some quick cash :bs:[/QUOTE]

these ralph wiggums are spamming cl all over the country. if you email them you will get the standard, ' oh i already sold this but go to this webstie and bid at the last second and you'll win one for 50$' they are also spamming kinects and xbox 360s. pretty lame

I saw some DS (I can't remember which type) on Ebay yesterday and it said in the description, "This DS came without a serial number". Yeah, that's obviously stolen.

[quote name='Nukkus']My gst rebate came in today, which meant i finally had enough to get the 3DS and a few games. Went to Gamestop, bought an aqua blue, steel diver, street fighter, and pilotwings. I get out in the parking lot, and this huge black guy in a hoodie with a balisong mugs me for it. I go in, no one in the store saw anything, and the police say there's nothing that can be done without a witness. FML.[/QUOTE]

Assuming you are not huge yourself... couldn't you just run away. Don't think he would chase you around with a knife.

No witnesses? Gamestop won't help you? The police won't help you? Not saying it didn't happen, but doesn't seem fully plausible to me.

Go to a manager at this Gamestop. Go to the police HQ. Go to a local news station if need be...

There's crime in canada?

I don't leave home without my pistol for just this reason. Sucks for the OP I hope something happens as a result of this.

Ironically just this weekend (or last weekend) someone got her wallet taken at a GS store near me. However the thief did it in the store after the woman paid and was caught on camera with very clear images of his face, then later turned himself in. This is the first I have ever heard of any problems at GS where I live. Though like I said I wouldn't trust the one store because you actually have to park in the back and walk around the store to the front and only door. The mugging happened at the other store nearby though. The only thing nearby the store is a seedy motel even though there are other stores nearby a little bit away but its not in a plaza or mall like all the other GS's here are.

Canada really? You live in Windsor so some black guy came over from Detroit?
I feel for yah. I stopped buying at gamestop. I've had the employees argue, yell, and curse at me. I tried cancling a preorder bc i wasnt going to have the $ and the guy starting yelling at me that he will loose money it took me 3 trips before they canceled it. I could go on and on. I called up GS and everything has to be dealt with the store u preordered the item. Buy a console at a major retailer like walmart. At least they have out door cameras.

I would definitely find out who is responsible for the parking lot of the shopping plaza and follow up with them to file an insurance claim. It is their responsibility to ensure your safety when shopping, and their insurance should cover this type of loss.

[quote name='bob_793']Canada really? You live in Windsor so some black guy came over from Detroit? [/QUOTE]
Really?

[quote name='InfinityCartier']Should've taken up that product replacement plan the GS clerk offered. I bet you're kicking yourself. I know I would be.[/QUOTE]

I assume even if you did then you would have to turn in some kind of console to get the replacement. I am almost sure the replacement doesn't cover stolen consoles.

[quote name='Mad D']Sorry to hear that. They don't have any security cameras set up in the parking lot?[/QUOTE]

I dont think black guys show up on security cameras. So it wouldnt matter if there were any.

Seriously thought that does suck, all you really can do is file the police report and be glad you didnt get hurt.

bread's done
Back