Bought New Laptop - Possible Screen Problem (or not)

basketkase543

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I just bought a new HP laptop from Circuit City:

HP Pavilion dv9339us http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/howT...id=177335&userClick=&showMoreStores=true#tabs

Everything is great about it except that from the moment it booted up I noticed what seems to be an abnormal amount of light emanating from the bottom of the screen. At first it seemed weird but now it just urks me because it seems impossible to get a true black from the bottom of the screen. Is this normal for laptop screens? My previous laptop is about five years old now but it never had this uneven light issue. Is there any chance my unit is defective? Is it common to have more light come from the bottom of the screen? If so, why? It's incredibly distracting, especially considering that it's supposed to be a media center laptop.

Any advice, tips, or info on this matter would really help.

I have a Toshiba, and I've never had that problem. I'd look it up on amazon and see if there are any reviews people might have posted. Maybe they mentioned something about it.

I'd call HP and get their opinion. It may be due to the lighting of the panel that they're using, though only they would know for certain.

I'm gonna drop by Circuit City right now and see the display unit and compare it to other Laptops on display. It's honestly getting pretty annoying now. The color in the top is uneven from the bottom because of the light. I've got to go check to see if it's the norm or if I've got a defective unit.

Okay, I just got back and it looks like the instore model has a similar issue. The Circuit City guy noticed it to and said that it might be the particular model or maybe just HP in general.

The best description I can give is that it is similar to the original Gameboy SP models that were frontlit. You could see where the light was coming from the sides and it gave the colors more of a washed out look.

The CC guy suggested that I bring in my system tomorrow so he can see the situation is normal or defective.

bread's done
Back