bought new pc, need input.

Earmuffin585

CAGiversary!
I bought this pc for 630 including tax

Intel core 2 quad Q8300 @ 2.5 Ghz
8GB or DDr2 RAM
GT220
Windows 7

I hoping to replace the GT220 with ATI HD 5770 . Before I do that, can I get inputs about the GT220 with 1 GB of VRAM.I do gaming ranging for CSS to L4d to Company of heroes. Is there ways to improve cooling for perbuilt PCs with no sidepanel mounting ,I found a PCI cooling fan but i don't think that is going to do anything besides cooling itself or cooling 2 inches away form it. any suggestions for cooling a prebuilt generic computer . Thanks for reading!

You can always install an aftermarket fan for the CPU. You'll need to find a fan for a 775 socket and those are plentiful. The only issue is that you'll probably have to take the motherboard out to install the mounting brackets. Depending on your level of comfort, that may not work for you. It may also void your warranty. That PCI fan probably won't do anything at all to help cool the computer, to be honest.

The GT220 is pretty bad. According to this link it is a little worse then the x800 pro (which is at least 4 or 5 years old). It will run CSS well but it will start to struggle with L4d and Company of Heroes on higher settings (the x800 pro was actually the card in my last computer). You could run them on mediumish fine, though. Oh and make sure you have a good enough power supply for your new video card.

As for cooling, are there any fan slots open? Just buy a couple of 80mm or 92mm 3 pin or molex fans and attach them to your case blowing out near the back and blowing in towards the front.

[quote name='Earmuffin585']yes, i heard Gt220 is shit, though the 1GB VRAM will help[/QUOTE]

Not really, unless you're playing at something like 1920x1200 or some other high resolution. Anything below, you really aren't going to get much of a performance increase.

In the spirit of keeping things simple...What kind of wiring do you have inside?

I always go with tube (rounded) pipes for all wires to help air flow.

[quote name='Megazell']In the spirit of keeping things simple...What kind of wiring do you have inside?

I always go with tube (rounded) pipes for all wires to help air flow.[/QUOTE]

well like I said its a prebuilt pc from acer so the wire are fairly good( better then the one I made myself). the coolling is I think only 2-3 120mmfans.

I only have 3 120mm fans on my case so unless you're including your CPU/video card fans you should be fine. One fan on the front and one on the back should already be enough for decent airflow.

[quote name='Earmuffin585']I bought this pc for 630 including tax

Intel core 2 quad Q8300 @ 2.5 Ghz
8GB or DDr2 RAM
GT220
Windows 7[/quote]
Thanks for buying prebuilt my friend :applause:

[quote name='Earmuffin585']Before I do that, can I get inputs about the GT220 with 1 GB of VRAM.[/quote]
I bought the BFG 1GB GT220 a while back, its a slightly faster 9500GT. Also, if i was you, using that card, its best to use XP, so install XP home edition SP2, gaming will be faster with that card, trust me.

[quote name='Earmuffin585']Is there ways to improve cooling for perbuilt PCs[/quote]
What needs cooling?
I use prebuilts all the time, everything seems really cool on my end, just keep your house cool.

[quote name='DrFoo']The GT220 is pretty bad.[/quote]
I bought a GT220 not too long ago ( took it back for a 9800gt ) , but the card is far from being bad, its slightly faster over a Standard 9500GT.

[quote name='DrFoo']It will run CSS well but it will start to struggle with L4d and Company of Heroes on higher settings (the x800 pro was actually the card in my last computer). You could run them on medium fine, though. Oh and make sure you have a good enough power supply for your new video card.[/quote]
I ran L4D at Full AFx16 , full AA, at 1280x1024 very high to high settings and i still got a soild 30-55 frames. Also my PSU was 250, so if he has 300 or 400 he will be fine.

[quote name='Vega$']
I bought a GT220 not too long ago ( took it back for a 9800gt ) , but the card is far from being bad, its slightly faster over a Standard 9500GT.

I ran L4D at Full AFx16 , full AA, at 1280x1024 very high to high settings and i still got a soild 30-55 frames. Also my PSU was 250, so if he has 300 or 400 he will be fine.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I was just basing it off of that one benchmark that said it was worse than an x800 pro. It might do better in games. I was referring to higher resolutions than that when I said high settings, though.

bread's done
Back