Bought some games online -- Weird scratches on discs

Taren Fox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
I bought some games on eBay and when they arrived, they all had this weird scratch pattern on them. I'm *assuming* that means that all these were poorly "resurfaced". Has anyone ever seen anything like this?
photo1-1_zps5b3a71c0.jpg

And I noticed that one of the labels of the discs was scratched off, thus making the game unplayable. Why don't people mention this when they list their auctions? D:

Yeah that's definitely a resurfacing job. I used to see these all the time when I worked at Gamestop (once upon a time) on damn near all of the used games that came from corporate.

Yep, resurfaced discs. Which usually means there was an issue with the disc before it got resurfaced.

Sycowulf is right, you can tell with discs came back from GS's warehouse when they look like that. Because they either have crappy machines or can't resurface correctly.

Makes me kinda wish Hollywood Video/Game Crazy was still around. Because they actually had good resurfacing machines and usually made the discs look new.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Yep, resurfaced discs. Which usually means there was an issue with the disc before it before it got resurfaced.

Sycowulf is right, you can tell with discs came back from GS's warehouse when they look like that. Because they either have crappy machines or can't resurface correctly.

Makes me kinda wish Hollywood Video/Game Crazy was still around. Because they actually had good resurfacing machines and usually made the discs look new.[/QUOTE]

Even with Hollywood Video it depended largely on the employee.... Sometimes they came out looking like-new while others there made 'em look like the picture that the OP took (with the wavy lines and everything).

A lot of my PS1 games are resurfaced like that. One of them is so bad MK4 I'm scared to play it on any console as I fear it will be heavy wear and tear on the laser. The game works but it's missing chuncks out of the surface like someone ate it. It was so bad condition because it came out of a video store and was a rental.

Your game isn't that bad. From the picture that should play just fine and won't damage your consoles laser either. It's just a eye sore is all.

Once a disc is resurfaced anyone can tell no matter how good of a job you do. The games probably skipped or had minor glitches. It's hit and miss with resurfacing. Sometimes it fixes the 1st problem but causes a new one. You won't know till you finish the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Taren Fox']How do you guys feel about the SkipDr Disc Resurfacer? I wonder if that would fix these discs.[/QUOTE]

That device is what actually causes patterns like these.

[quote name='Taren Fox']How do you guys feel about the SkipDr Disc Resurfacer? I wonder if that would fix these discs.[/QUOTE]

My fiance has one of those buried somewhere... it makes a much worse version of that pattern. We pretty much only used it as a last resort.

Of course, now places with better machines are common, I can't imagine we'll ever use it again.

[quote name='needler420']
Once a disc is resurfaced anyone can tell no matter how good of a job you do. [/QUOTE]

Not entirely true. I use a bench buffer to resurface games/cds/dvds (yes, it takes a LOT of practice to do it by hand), but depending on the type of disc and starting condition, some are impossible to tell if they've been resurfaced.

Gold DVDs and PS1 games are the worst, and I try to avoid resurfacing unless they are pretty wrecked. Then it's just a matter of salvaging anyways...

[quote name='sp00ge']Gold DVDs and PS1 games are the worst, and I try to avoid resurfacing unless they are pretty wrecked. Then it's just a matter of salvaging anyways...[/QUOTE]
I'm curious if you've manually resurfaced the blue PS2 disks (CD format I believe) and have had the same issues, I've always had problems running those if they were scratched in any way.

That actually looks like a SkipDr resurface job, so how well do you feel it worked? ; )

[quote name='Scorch']That device is what actually causes patterns like these.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DuelLadyS']My fiance has one of those buried somewhere... it makes a much worse version of that pattern. We pretty much only used it as a last resort.

Of course, now places with better machines are common, I can't imagine we'll ever use it again.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Squarehard']That actually looks like a SkipDr resurface job, so how well do you feel it worked? ; )[/QUOTE]

Yep, what Quote #2 said. That's actually NOT from a Skip Dr. Skip Drs make a more noticeable pattern and it is different and uniform. Not swirly like that. That said, even with the ugly pattern, the Skip Dr actually makes the discs play if they had issues so I don't mind.

Today's professional machines, like the ones Best Buy uses, make it near impossible to tell if something was resurfaced.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Yep, what Quote #2 said. That's actually NOT from a Skip Dr. Skip Drs make a more noticeable pattern and it is different and uniform. Not swirly like that. That said, even with the ugly pattern, the Skip Dr actually makes the discs play if they had issues so I don't mind.

Today's professional machines, like the ones Best Buy uses, make it near impossible to tell if something was resurfaced.[/QUOTE]

I dunno... I'm guessing proper use is a big factor in how good the discs look. I've seen discs from GS that look like crap and ones that look fantastic.

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']I'm curious if you've manually resurfaced the blue PS2 disks (CD format I believe) and have had the same issues, I've always had problems running those if they were scratched in any way.[/QUOTE]

You know, I've never tried a blue disc. I think I have a few lying around I'll experiment on.

bread's done
Back