Bought your HD-DVD player at CC? Trade it in!

coolflea216

CAGiversary!
l: Circuit City Swaps Your HD DVD for Blu-ray
If you're ready to switch teams, the red dot retailer is offering a trade-in/trade-up deal on recently purchased HD DVD players.

For those of you “lucky” enough to have purchased an HD DVD player from Circuit City in the last 3 months, the chain is offering a “do-over” of sorts. In what looks to be a somewhat secretive program (you have to ask for it) the City will take that hidef player off your hands and apply its original purchase price towards a new Blu-ray player. Of course, you’ll be paying the difference, which could easily be a couple hundred if not more.

And before anyone asks, no, this offer does not apply to discs. That’s what eBay is for.

If you’re the type to hold a grudge, the offer also allows you to opt for a straight up gift card, to buy regular DVDs with I suppose.

http://www.electronichouse.com/article/deal_trade_your_hd_dvd_for_blu_ray_at_circuit_city/

Any chance they'll be re-selling the players cheap.

I'm hoping to pick up a cheap player (mainly to upconvert DVDs), and while they're gradually going down on ebay, shipping hurts and I'd rather buy from a store than a random ebayer.

I read an interesting article about some companies making devices with the reharvested modified violet ray lasers (gun-sights and such) from cheap HD-DVD drives and the defective Blu-rays. I bet they have found a viable secondary market and are trying to build customer rapport with a win/win move for them.

I may consider this, since I picked up the 360 add on. But I want the gift card and not the Blu-ray player. Though this would knock a $100 off a PS3. Hhhhhhhmmmm.

[quote name='honzoh']Is this legit? Three months? Proof of receipt? I'm lost....[/quote]

They just want you to return your $100-$200 HD DVD player so you'll buy a $500 Blu Ray player. :lol:

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I would want that offer for a Profile 2.0 Blu player instead if I had purchased my HD-DVD player from CC. I do like this idea for anyone that feels burnt, though.
Just my two cents.

[quote name='edzbsu']Please don't take this the wrong way, but I would want that offer for a Profile 2.0 Blu player instead if I had purchased my HD-DVD player from CC. I do like this idea for anyone that feels burnt, though.
Just my two cents.[/quote]

I agree. I think I read that Sony will only ship the new 2.0 players (BDP-S350 & BDP-S550) to market this summer. I think we better wait this out (or perhaps even till BlackFriday 2008 for cheaper price) otherwise we'll all get stuck with a non-upgradeable 1.0 player.

Can someone tell us where this offer is available? I threw away my receipt, but I did use a credit card to buy the HD-DVD player..is that good enough? :)

[quote name='djkunai']A PS3 is a blu-ray player. Damn them if they think otherwise.[/quote]

Agreed. I believe they said you could even trade in for a gift card. I think you're safe going with a PS3 even if they don't want to claim it as a Blu-Ray player. Just get the gift card and do it your own way.

Talked to reps at my CC, no one's heard of this at all. Sounds too good to be true...

UPDATE: Called the CC 800#, rep there had not heard of this promotion either. She did direct me here: http://cc.eztradein.com/cc/ - but as you can see, nothing for HD players.....

Can a ccity employee confirm the following:

How long ago must it have been purchased?
Does one need the original box?

I have an HD DVD 360 addon that's probably a year old... :)

[quote name='GogoTheMimic']They just want you to return your $100-$200 HD DVD player so you'll buy a $500 Blu Ray player. :lol:[/QUOTE]
Seriously. Although it's interesting and sounds good on paper, it's pretty much the worst deal ever. A quick glance at their website reveals that they have the HD-A3 for only $89 but the cheapest BD player is $400. Of course they want to trade it in, as long as you are trading up. :)

Don't know if this is real or not.. but its definitely a good way for CC to get some good publicity and get some customers through the doors. If it isn't real, CC should make it real.

here's some confirmed details.

http://gizmodo.com/363974/circuit-city-trading-in-hd-dvd-for-blu+ray-players-says-employee

Readers of Gizmodo and Digg have been able to confirm Circuit City's not-so-secret-anymore HD DVD for Blu-Ray player trade-in offer a Circuit City employee told us about yesterday morning. One report from a Giz reader says that he used the offer to get a new PlayStation 3. In addition to this, we just got all the dirt in the internal memo, aptly titled "HD DVD - The End," which allegedly was posted in an internal Circuit City forum:

HD DVD - The End. Toshiba stated in a press release that they will stop manufacturing and selling HD DVD players. The marketplace has spoken in favor of Blu-ray. We are delighted that consumers now will be able to invest with confidence in next-generation video disc players and titles. Based on Toshiba's announcement, we expect to phase out HD DVD players and movie titles in our stores and on our Web site in the near future. FAQs
Why will Circuit City continue to sell HD DVD players for the near future?

There are large numbers of HD DVD movie titles still in circulation and some customers will want to be able to view those titles.

Also, HD DVD players are very affordable and will continue to play and up-convert standard DVDs with improved quality. So, during the phase-out, some customers will want a DVD player equipped with upconvert technology (and the ability to play HD DVD titles).

When will HD DVD players and movie titles disappear from our stores and Web site?

That will happen in the near future, depending on sell-through rates while HD DVD products go on clearance. We have implemented the following price changes (make sure your floor is tagged correctly):

These are fully functioning "upconverting" HD/DVD players that are now competitively priced!

And, of course, don't forget the HDMI cable!

What about my HD DVD Endcap?

We're developing an alternate plan over the next couple of weeks. Please keep it up in the meantime.

Important: About Returns

Q; What about customers who may try to return an HD DVD player - even if they have owned it for several months?

A: We do not want to upset our valued customers. For this special circumstance, we are happy to offer an exchange for a Blu-ray player (customer plays any difference in purchase price) - even if it has been several months since the customer made their HD DVD player purchase. If the customer does not want a Blu-ray player, we can issue a gift card refund for their original purchase price. For products purchased in the last 30 days, handle as usual.

(Note: all open-box and defective Toshiba HD DVD players are Return-to-Vendor and must be sent back to Toshiba.)

As per policy, we will not accept refunds of opened HD DVD software.

It keeps surprising me that they are not promoting this widely. Even if it seems it will cost them money, it can benefit Circuit City in the medium and long term. First, it makes them appear look cool to their customer base. Then, it gets customers back in the store for a new—and probably more expensive—Blu-ray player. And if the customer gets back for that, he will probably spend money on new things, like Blu-ray movies. If you are Circuit City customer who is going to try the trade-in, remember to post back here with your experience.

Beware: apparently you will have to go to the actual shop to get the exchange. The online customer care is denying the deal, according to mails forwarded by a Gizmodo reader.

[Gizmodo]

Would you need a receipt to prove you even bought it there? I'm just imagining buying a cheap player somewhere and getting more than you paid for it in exchange.

I'm so at a lost for this. It has to be YMMV. This deal just sounds 100% fabricated, and the fact that only a couple of readers have supposedly got it to work just screams b.s. to me.

UPDATE: I called the customer service number, again today, at 1-800-843-2489 and selected option 0 for customer support. I was then directed to the SALES department, as the CS operator knew nothing about it. The SALES rep told me she received an email, restating the above. So, for a fact now, this is NOT BOGUS. According to this rep, the email was just sent out to store managers via an email TODAY, March 6th. You can exchange an HD player for a Blue or for a gift card, 100% confirmed. The CS operator told me to call the store directly to take advantage, and then suggested I call the corporate office in Virginia if the local store couldn't help/didn't receive the email yet.

And of course, I called my local store and was told that they are not participating in the deal, and if stores are actually doing it, the number of participating stores is VERY limited. I then called the Corporate #, 804-486-4000, and spoke to another operator who also knew nothing of what I was referring. I was then transfered to yet another department, an operator named Larry, who also knew nothing of the deal. He told me that I was the second call he'd received today about inquiring about it, and asked if we could conference call back to the Sales department so 1)he could get more information and 2)we could figure out what to do about trading in the HD player.....

Oddly enough, we were connected back to the original sales rep I spoke with. She reconfirmed the information I already knew, which was basically "speak with the store". After the Corporate Op got off the phone with the Sales Op, he confirmed with me that he understood the policy, and again suggested I talk with the store. Again I told him that my store said it was a "very limited" promotion, and that they wouldn't be taking part in it. The Corporate Op was very nice and friendly, and asked if he could take my name and # and call me back with more information.

So, it appears 100% confirmed that you can trade in the HD player towards a BluRay player or gift card. However, until I hear back from Larry, it would appear only "limited stores" are participating. I'll keep you guys posted.....

I went to CC yesterday (Hickory Hollow, TN) and succeed. I guess one of the managers didn't know what I was talking about until she went to the office and probably read the memo/e-mail.

I would say that it's like a "recall"...they will take it no matter what and give you the credit towards the purchase of a Blu-Ray player, which I said PS3, and gave it to me no questions asked.

I dont own a bluray player or hddvd player, but this deal is just well goofy I guess. Wasnt HDDVD announced dead 3 months ago? And that is how long Circuit City will allow your hddvd player to be from. So basically if you already knew HDDVD was dead and bought a hddvd player...than why get rid of it? I can understand if people that bought hddvd player like over 6 months ago would want to, but alas Circuit City wont take those back.

So basically what I am saying is anyone that bought an hddvd player within the last 3 months and wants to get rid of it.........its just stupid.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']I dont own a bluray player or hddvd player, but this deal is just well goofy I guess. Wasnt HDDVD announced dead 3 months ago? And that is how long Circuit City will allow your hddvd player to be from. So basically if you already knew HDDVD was dead and bought a hddvd player...than why get rid of it? I can understand if people that bought hddvd player like over 6 months ago would want to, but alas Circuit City wont take those back.

So basically what I am saying is anyone that bought an hddvd player within the last 3 months and wants to get rid of it.........its just stupid.[/quote]

Actually it wasn't announced dead till a few weeks ago. This covers all the Holiday purchases, and Warner didn't switch till CES which was in January, so HDDVD had a decent amount of content up to that point in the pipeline too.

I wonder if you need a receipt for this

Since im sure alot of people cut out their UPCs and send the receipt in for the 5 free movies.

[quote name='Pookymeister']I wonder if you need a receipt for this

Since im sure alot of people cut out their UPCs and send the receipt in for the 5 free movies.[/quote]

If you used a credit card, CC can look it up.

bread's done
Back