Bowling CAGs

cdeener

CAGiversary!
Feedback
28 (100%)
I wonder how many people on here enjoy bowling? This is the one sport that I have been apart of almost since birth same with video games. I just realized that in September of this year that it will be my 20th year bowling. I haven't bowled in a league in a few years but go out every once in a while with friends who think they can beat me. My average score when I bowl is about 180. My highest game was a 280 and I have bowled it several times. My highest series is a 720.

I have been playing video games as long as I have been bowling so this will also be my 20th year of gaming. I remember starting out playing pinball after bowling with my family.

I was in YABA growing up. I still have my trophies somewhere. My average was 143 at 13 years old. My high game in YABA play was 223. My all-time high game is 239 which I bowled last year after just getting back into it after being away since I was in YABA. I need to get a new ball because house balls suck. My ball from when I was a kid is only 13 pounds so the only thing it is useful for is spares.

I go like once a month at the most, but it's fun times since we usually end up doing stupid shit by the end. I am extremely inconsistent, but I end up around 140 most of the time.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I was in YABA growing up. I still have my trophies somewhere. My average was 143 at 13 years old. My high game in YABA play was 223. My all-time high game is 239 which I bowled last year after just getting back into it after being away since I was in YABA. I need to get a new ball because house balls suck. My ball from when I was a kid is only 13 pounds so the only thing it is useful for is spares.[/QUOTE]

I also bowled in YABA that is why I haven't been in a league in a while because once I stopped bowling in YABA I never tried to bowl in a ABC Sanctioned league because I didn't have the time for it.

Don't even get me started on trophies, I have a box in my basement that is filled with trophies I have won from bowling in league play and tournaments. I also have a nice little spot in the basement for my old bowling balls which at last count I have seven of and five that I actually can still bowl with.

Bowling is the game of the gods. Where else can you drink and throw around heavy objects as fast as you can? Nowhere. But seriously, I used to be on my college team and was pretty damn good, 2 sanctioned 300's with a 792 high series back in the day. Anyway, I've been out of it for probably 3 years now and I really miss it. I went to the lanes recently and tried a few house balls and did fairly well, still posted 180-200 but it's really not the same without your own ball. Could anyone recommend a good ball to start out with? I'm looking for something that has a lot of late break on oily lanes and another for more finesse play on drier lanes. For reference, I used to bowl with a Cuda 3000 and a Hammer with a plastic ball for the 10-pins. It's so good knowing that bowling isn't dead after all.

I like bowling its fun. I just wish I went more. I go maybe 4 times a year. I mean what better sport for a fat guy. :D

I do suck, I think maybe my highest score was 170. I average *pulls up pants* eh booout 70. :)

I bowl maybe a few times a year. I would bowl more but however its hard on my wrist after a few games to keep throwing the ball down as none of the bowling places in my area have any balls that really work well with my hands in terms of both weight and hole size. My average however is around 120-150ish.

Bowling's fun but no time should "This is the one sport that I have been apart of almost since birth same with video games.". Bowling is not a sport, when I can drink and eat nachos while throwing an object I wouldn't call it a sport, it's more of a hobby.

[quote name='ph33r m3']Bowling's fun but no time should "This is the one sport that I have been apart of almost since birth same with video games.". Bowling is not a sport, when I can drink and eat nachos while throwing an object I wouldn't call it a sport, it's more of a hobby.[/QUOTE]

i personally cannot eat food that requires touching like nachos while bowling. My hands tingle with ickyfatmenbacteria-sense when bowling.

I went bowling last week. I got video. I should upload it later. I got my ass handed to me the first two games but I pulled a Joe Nameth and guarenteed a victory in my third and final game and I pulled it off.

By one.

Vs a girl.

But I digress, victory was mine.

I bowled many times in the past with no shoes, because those discriminating bastards didn't have my size. They all seem to nowadays (thank you, growth hormones!). My best games were both at the same alley, many years apart. I got a 181 when I bowled there for gym in high school, and then, years later, I bowled a 191. I miss bowling. It's a whole new experience in your socks, especially when drinks are involved. I think all that concentration probably helped me keep my balance in some instances. In others, not so much.

[quote name='briansraregames']Bowling is the game of the gods. Where else can you drink and throw around heavy objects as fast as you can? Nowhere. But seriously, I used to be on my college team and was pretty damn good, 2 sanctioned 300's with a 792 high series back in the day. Anyway, I've been out of it for probably 3 years now and I really miss it. I went to the lanes recently and tried a few house balls and did fairly well, still posted 180-200 but it's really not the same without your own ball. Could anyone recommend a good ball to start out with? I'm looking for something that has a lot of late break on oily lanes and another for more finesse play on drier lanes. For reference, I used to bowl with a Cuda 3000 and a Hammer with a plastic ball for the 10-pins. It's so good knowing that bowling isn't dead after all.[/QUOTE]

My friend I live in the Bowling Capitol of the World so of course it will never be completely dead to me because most of my family still bowl in leagues. We have more sanctioned bowlers in Southeastern Michigan than any other part of the world.

But if you want to see some of the newest bowling balls available go here:
http://www.bowlingballinfo.com/

[quote name='ph33r m3']Bowling's fun but no time should "This is the one sport that I have been apart of almost since birth same with video games.". Bowling is not a sport, when I can drink and eat nachos while throwing an object I wouldn't call it a sport, it's more of a hobby.[/QUOTE]

You would be incorrect my dear ph33r m3. Bowling is a sport that basically anybody can participate in. I can understand your point of it being a hobby but basically in the end if it is something you do in your spare time isn't every sport then a hobby.

I can get drunk, eat nachos and run around. I'm not suddenly going to say that running a sport isn't a sport anymore. I can, however, say that getting drunk makes all sports weird ;)

I do enjoy bowling, though it's been at least a year since I last went. I'm not very good, but at least I have bragging rights against my friends. My average is probably around 140 and my highest is 192. All I want is to break 200, it's just that I seem to either get in a rhythm a frame to late or break rhythm a frame too early.

[quote name='Stoneage']Gob's chicken dance..[/QUOTE]

Chiclet? You're the Chiclet! Ca ca ca

I used to bowl in leagues and for my high school. High school bowling is actually competitive around here and there were some players from my school (right before I went there) and other schools who got Division I athletic scholarships for bowling. My average senior year (almost 3 years ago) was 190, and that was the 3rd highest on our team (5 people start each game). After high school I pretty much stopped bowling because I was bored with it after doing it since I was very little, and I just couldn't make it as serious as other people did. When I go to bowl know just with friends I can still shoot my average consistently, which I guess shows that practice doesn't really mean that much. I miss a few more spares but I'm basically the same. When your friends know you used to bowl competitively, its really a lose-lose situation to play against them. If you win it's "Well, you're a real bowler so of course you should win" and if you don't then it's "Yay, I beat Mr. pro bowler" or some other crap.

I do consider bowling a sport in the same way that golf is, that its more of a mental game. Anyone can chuck a ball down the lane, but you need to read and react to oil patterns and carefully place your shots consistently, stuff like that. Just like reading a green or whatever in golf. Most of the best bowlers and golfers are terrible physical athletes, but that doesn't mean it can't be a sport.

The ball I used/use is a Triton Elite, made by Brunswick I think. It was an old ball then, so its ancient by today's standards I'm sure but I think its considered one of the best balls of its time. I have no idea what the current technology of bowling balls is like, but I know most competitive bowlers are obsessed with having the latest ball even if it means dropping $200 every couple weeks to get the latest model, which definitely isn't for me.

[quote name='lionheart4life']I used to bowl in leagues and for my high school. High school bowling is actually competitive around here and there were some players from my school (right before I went there) and other schools who got Division I athletic scholarships for bowling. My average senior year (almost 3 years ago) was 190, and that was the 3rd highest on our team (5 people start each game). After high school I pretty much stopped bowling because I was bored with it after doing it since I was very little, and I just couldn't make it as serious as other people did. When I go to bowl know just with friends I can still shoot my average consistently, which I guess shows that practice doesn't really mean that much. I miss a few more spares but I'm basically the same. When your friends know you used to bowl competitively, its really a lose-lose situation to play against them. If you win it's "Well, you're a real bowler so of course you should win" and if you don't then it's "Yay, I beat Mr. pro bowler" or some other crap.

I do consider bowling a sport in the same way that golf is, that its more of a mental game. Anyone can chuck a ball down the lane, but you need to read and react to oil patterns and carefully place your shots consistently, stuff like that. Just like reading a green or whatever in golf. Most of the best bowlers and golfers are terrible physical athletes, but that doesn't mean it can't be a sport.

The ball I used/use is a Triton Elite, made by Brunswick I think. It was an old ball then, so its ancient by today's standards I'm sure but I think its considered one of the best balls of its time. I have no idea what the current technology of bowling balls is like, but I know most competitive bowlers are obsessed with having the latest ball even if it means dropping $200 every couple weeks to get the latest model, which definitely isn't for me.[/QUOTE]

The last time I actually bought a new ball was in 2000 and it cost me 60 bucks (bought it off of a fellow bowler that didn't want it) after paying 40 for it and then 20 to get it set up for my hand. That same ball is the main one I bowl with and shoot pretty nice score with it nowadays. Most the equipment I bowl with is anywhere from 6 to 12 years old and I still can bowl better than most people that get the latest equipment. Because in bowling just like in golf most of the time it isn't the equipment it's the person using the equipment that can do any better.

I feel you on the going out with friends because they always get their jollies when they beat me (most of the time it is because I don't want to hurt their feelings and to make it interesting). It would suck to beat'em all the time.

[quote name='cdeener']The last time I actually bought a new ball was in 2000 and it cost me 60 bucks (bought it off of a fellow bowler that didn't want it) after paying 40 for it and then 20 to get it set up for my hand. That same ball is the main one I bowl with and shoot pretty nice score with it nowadays. Most the equipment I bowl with is anywhere from 6 to 12 years old and I still can bowl better than most people that get the latest equipment. Because in bowling just like in golf most of the time it isn't the equipment it's the person using the equipment that can do any better.

I feel you on the going out with friends because they always get their jollies when they beat me (most of the time it is because I don't want to hurt their feelings and to make it interesting). It would suck to beat'em all the time.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more on the equipment. I got that Triton Elite from my grandparents' neighbor, who was a bowling coach. His son and daughter actually graduated from my high school and each got a full scholarship to Purdue for bowling. He showed me all the old balls he had in his basement and told me to just pick whatever I wanted to use. He matched me up with the Triton since it fit my game best, and since he was a lefty and I'm righthanded it was essentially a brand new ball (the oil track and all the wear from a lefthanded bowler are on the opposite side of the ball from where they will be from a righty) and I just had to get it drilled to fit me.

i bowl at crestview lanes, its fun. but the game quickly deteriorates while drinking cheap bud light, ending with me quite tipsy trying to play the ddr machine they have there

I never really bowled before the summer, and then I taught myself by playing 2 hours a week; now i'm about a 140 average with a high of 183.

I suck, but it's a fun as hell sport.

Its just dull to me. I mean, rolling a ball down an ally and knocking over pins. Surely that would get boring to guys after a while.

I enjoy bowling once in a while. I go bowling around once every 2 - 3 months. My high score is 162 and I usually average around 100 - 120 (not that great I know).

I'm in a league and have a 175 average. Highest game is a 233 with a 615 series. Bowling is a great stress reliever.

I don't like bowling. The ball is too hard, so I can't spike it when I win without being sued.

[quote name='Blade']I don't like bowling. The ball is too hard, so I can't spike it when I win without being sued.[/QUOTE]

:rofl: God, I just spit when I read that!

bread's done
Back