Boy dies after imitating Naruto in sandbox

y2kenjination

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
Video:

http://www.komotv.com/news/16431271.html?video=YHI&t=a

Article:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-03-10/boy-hospitalized-after-imitating-naruto-in-sandbox

My take on this:

This a very tragic death, no doubt...

With the mass media that's available nowadays, it's impossible to live a "sheltered" lifestyle. Kids will reenact stuff they see on television and movies, it's simply part of life. It's up to the parents to teach the kids the difference between what's right and what's wrong. I mean come on, I watched movies like Predator and Terminator 2 when I was 6 years old. They were traumatizing at the time, yes, but you didn't see me going out and stabbing people. Of course, the parents aren't fully at fault. They can't shelter their children, and watch them on the playground 24/7. My parents never really had to teach me the difference between reality and fantasy...I figured that stuff out myself, and grew up without any real problems.

I watched WWE (WWF back then) at a very young age, yet you hear stories about kids killing their siblings from trying to execute wrestling moves on them. Not to sound insensitive, but some kids should just know better...even without parental guidance.

I realize that this will sound insensitive, but:

That is unfortunate, but the kid was 10 years old, and should have known better.

*waits for some one to say "Believe it!"*

wow. i'm sorry but this will never stop unless every show becomes mr rogers neighborhood. Even then you will get the retards trying to find the trolly world in some rock gourge and get killed. Its sad yes, but shit happens. I can't beleive how much they emphasize 'copying a cartoon, look how in the cartoon these sand ninjas use sand to kill one another'. fucking ridiculous.

btw, naruto sucks.

[quote name='javeryh']"The cartoon is called Naruto... and the images are disturbing!" LOL!!![/QUOTE]

I couldn't help but LoL at that part as well. Seriously...disturbing? Have these people never seen primetime television?

[quote name='javeryh']"The cartoon is called Naruto... and the images are disturbing!" LOL!!![/quote]

I think everyone is LOL'ing at this one. That man is an idiot.

it sucks the kid died and i feel sorry for the family, but im just thankful this kid didn't make any babies before he died.

I read this yesterday but they didn't say what show was at fault (just mentioned "sandmasters").

Seriously, 10 years old? It takes that long to realize shit like that isn't real?

This is indeed a very tragic situation, but I hope this doesn't lead to any sort of new tv regulations. You can't blame the show, and really, you can't blame the parents...are they expected to go over all the things you can and can't do in life? By 10, you would hope one would know better. It's very sad, but I just hope we don't see any finger pointing coming out of this.

I reenacted all sorts of stuff when i was younger and never managed to get seriously hurt. Hell i remember doing pile drivers without anyone getting hurt.

Sand ninjas?
2684361.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0405422/quotes

Christ jesus. You want to chill out with your sigs? Do you really need 7 huge ass sigs?

All right....who shot who in the what now?

Hmmm Where is Jack Thompson in all of this? He must have misplaced his sandbox.

Also I dislike how they say the images are disturbing......

From working in television I hatred for anyone who works in news burns with the fire of a thousand suns.

You know, I am very sorry that the kid died. However, WTF was he thinking anyway? Kids today need to have a little more common sense.

[quote name='Hostile']Some of you guys are being fucking idiots. The kid was only 10 and not even in Middle School.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, at ten years old, you should know that burying yourself HEADFIRST is a really really stupid idea.

i know i should feel bad for the kid but i dont. because every time some dumb kid imitates something instead of blaming him for his stupidity or his parents or guardians for not properly monitoring the kids they blame whatever the kid was imitating. so now im just waiting for the eventual naruto backlash because people dont take responsibility they just pass the buck. wtf is with kids these days? and how dumb do they have to be to think burying someones head and chest in sand is a good idea? whats next sticking a kid with an exposed live wire to imitate chidori?

id like to kick that reports ass for over sensationaizing this shit. its a damn cartoon not real. reminds me of a local news report where the reporter said that the internet exposed a womans daughter to a sexual predator as if the internt is to blame for his chicks daughter talking to strangers on he net.

You guys must not remember being 10 years old at all or had a very uneventful childhood because my childhood was full of copying wrestling and karate moves on my cousins. You DON'T know better at age 10.

Wrestling moves and other stupid stuff, sure. But even at 6 I knew better than to bury my head in sand, let alone 10.

Any loss of life is tragic, but I'm sorry that kid (and his "friends") are dumb.

Oh, and I like how the news tried to drag the evil youtube into this.

"Watch as the children bury their action figures in the sand" Dududum

Wait, I don't watch this Naruto so I'm just trying to figure out what the eff was going on...

This kid wanted to be buried HEAD FIRST (like doing a hand stand?) in a foot of sand, to imitate some 'ninja attack'? What the fuck kind of ninja attacks by burying himself headfirst in the sand...what the hell, is that some sort of Ostrich attack?

I guess I need to see the episode in question.

hahaha, I guess someone already answered my question - sand ninjas...

Alot of guys will copy wrestling/karate moves till there 20 and then give that up for driving drunk, playing in construction sites ect.... Thats just guys being normal stupid. I think most of us by the age of 10 knew that if we covered are head in sand that we wouldn't be able to breath. And even if somehow we couldn't figure it out when where having trouble breathing we would do something.

that kid was probably a "special " child anyway. and yeah we all did stupid stuff but by us being here typing it goes to show we all knew our limits to what was a good or bad idea to try. in this day and age i really want to know why the parents werent monitoring them closer. my guess they were inside drinking wine and gossipping.

[quote name='Hostile']You guys must not remember being 10 years old at all or had a very uneventful childhood because my childhood was full of copying wrestling and karate moves on my cousins. You DON'T know better at age 10.[/QUOTE]

I teach 10 year olds. They know better.

[quote name='karkyco']Wait, I don't watch this Naruto so I'm just trying to figure out what the eff was going on...

This kid wanted to be buried HEAD FIRST (like doing a hand stand?) in a foot of sand, to imitate some 'ninja attack'? What the fuck kind of ninja attacks by burying himself headfirst in the sand...what the hell, is that some sort of Ostrich attack?

I guess I need to see the episode in question.

hahaha, I guess someone already answered my question - sand ninjas...[/quote]
I looked this up a wikipedia to what they were talking about.
I believe he was imitating getting attacked by an attack that covers the victim in sand and kills him. From wikipedia "Gaara predominately uses his sand to capture and then crush his opponents".

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Don't you teach the gifted kids though? ;)[/QUOTE]

Gifted kids being the ones most likely to do something that lacks common sense, yes. Also it doesn't mean I don't interact with the normals ;)

Wow. Imitating fighting moves and burying your head are 2 very different things. I was expecting him to have broken his neck or something awful from jumping off a tree like they do in Naruto... but this?

Maybe if CN would stop censoring the part after Gaara crushes someone AND THEN BLOOD GUSHES OUT OF THE SAND ALL OVER EVERYTHING, maybe kids would kinda catch on that maybe that's a bad idea.

Not that anything in that stupid show makes sense anyway. I gave up and started MSTing after the Gaara + Rock Lee fight and the bone dragon guy still wouldn't die after something that should've sand-blasted the flesh off his bones and then polished them stark white.

Cool. So are the same people complaining about parents not monitoring their kids enough the same people complaining about kids being monitored so much that they don't have time to be a kid?

Many kids copy shit they see on TV. I remember how my peers and i would do wrestling moves on each other, even the more dangerous ones ( tombstone, stunner). Nobody got hurt, and it was all in good fun. You guys have to see it for what it is and not what the media wants you to see it as : an accident. Simply an accident. Not an epidemic or a crisis. Sometimes kids get hurt when they do this, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they hurt others, sometimes they don't. But when they do, they learn not to do it again. I think that's the best way to teach kids to not do what they see on TV.

I also find it odd that they didn't just throw sand on each other. Very creative kids.

I'm shocked they managed to get the right character associated with the sand moves,also baffled as to why the kid wanted to go head first.

Clearly, the only solution to prevent retards our children from dying in the sand is to eliminate all copyable acts regarding sand. Let's start by destroying Animal Planet and Ostriches.

Sometimes, Darwinism is just a flat out fucking LAW(L).

I just watched the video.....who the fuck has a sandbox a FOOT DEEP?! Were they building a beach in their backyard or what?

~HotShotX

Raise your hand if you consider this good news.

...but then I also think we should also add toxins to paste so all the knuckle dragging products of incest can't perpetuate the cycle.

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']Almost as bad as the little girl who after watching Dora, went exploring, leaving her parents home with just her backpack and getting lost.[/QUOTE]

Obviously she forgot to consult Map.

All right. Let's play the guessing game. Ten points to anyone getting the right answer:
THE FIRST LAWSUIT THE PARENTS WILL DRAW UP WILL SUE
a.) The other children's parents
b.) The creators of Naruto
c.) The company that imported and adapted Naruto to English
d.) The TV station that broadcast Naruto
e.) The company that made the sandbox
f.) You
g.) The inventor of the graphite pencil
h.) All of the above

I was not surprised at all when I heard it happened in Everett, WA. I actually thought before entering this thread that this is the type of shit the morons out here would do. I live about a mile away from the Everett city limits and I swear that there's no greater collection of dumb-asses than in the greater Seattle/Everett area. It seems they are now passing their traits on to their children as well.

The scariest part? Most of the people around here work for Boeing constructing airplanes.

[quote name='captainfrizo']I was not surprised at all when I heard it happened in Everett, WA. I actually thought before entering this thread that this is the type of shit the morons out here would do. I live about a mile away from the Everett city limits and I swear that there's no greater collection of dumb-asses than in the greater Seattle/Everett area. It seems they are now passing their traits on to their children as well.

The scariest part? Most of the people around here work for Boeing constructing airplanes.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. xD I'm a couple exits away from Everett (Lynnwood), and man, Everett sure does have a lot of morons. Recently, it seems like the people in Lynnwood have been getting stupider and stupider as well...hm, maybe it's the air here in the northwest.

[quote name='captainfrizo']I was not surprised at all when I heard it happened in Everett, WA. I actually thought before entering this thread that this is the type of shit the morons out here would do. I live about a mile away from the Everett city limits and I swear that there's no greater collection of dumb-asses than in the greater Seattle/Everett area. It seems they are now passing their traits on to their children as well.

The scariest part? Most of the people around here work for Boeing constructing airplanes.[/quote]

Maybe it's exposure to toxic chemicals needed to construct the planes?

bread's done
Back