Boy Disney movie grudge match Aladdin vs. Lion King

Ikohn4ever

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Got into like a 45 min discussion with a buddy of mine on which movie is better.

our consensus
Hero: Toss up between Simba and Aladdin
Villian: Scar over Jaffar
Side Kick: Genie, Carpet and Abu over Timon and Pumba
Songs: Aladdin, though Circle of Life is prob the best of all the songs

Whatcha think?

I have a really hard time choosing a favorite Disney movie out of these two, The Little Mermaid, and Beauty and the Beast, but for at least today, I think I'm going to give the edge to Aladdin.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']Got into like a 45 min discussion with a buddy of mine on which movie is better.

our consensus
Hero: Toss up between Simba and Aladdin
Villian: Scar over Jaffar
Side Kick: Genie, Carpet and Abu over Timon and Pumba
Songs: Aladdin, though Circle of Life is prob the best of all the songs

Whatcha think?[/QUOTE]

Whhhhaaaattttt??? Timon and Pumba are easily better.

Lion King had much better music, so I voted for it. They're two of my favorites. However, this poll should have included The Sword in the Stone. That's easily the best Disney movie ever.

[quote name='Brownjohn']Lion King had much better music, so I voted for it. They're two of my favorites. However, this poll should have included The Sword in the Stone. That's easily the best Disney movie ever.[/QUOTE]

the debate is over two contemporary disney movies, not all.

Jasmine was hot, Circle of Life song made me vomit. Both made into decent video games though.

[quote name='Sycowulf']Aladdin hands down. Overall it is much more entertaining, and Robin Williams was perfect as the genie[/QUOTE]

Robin Williams was perfect as the genie but doesn't make him less annoying.

I love the Aladdin cartoon series but I never liked the movie as much. Lion King's story is epic.

Hero: Simba.
Voice Actor: Aladdin's minus Robin Williams' Genie.
Supporting Cast: Aladdin's
Villain: Scar
Music: Lion King's. Except that Whole New World >>> Can you feel the love tonight

Aladdin, easy. One of my favorite movies ever that actually stays golden each time I see it. Can actaully say I've grown up with that movie.

Et tu brute was even a line in it making it all the better. And the songs? Couldn't be more awesome.

I understand it being so neck and neck because they're both great flicks, but I have to go with Aladdin if this is all about a "boy" movie. There's swords, sexy girls, giant snakes, and acts of daring do and bravado.

The Lion King's songs tend to be more thoughtful and mood oriented, whereas Aladdin's music aims for jazzy rollicking fun at every angle (even in A Whole New World they couldn't resist having something action and breath taking going on).

And the sappy stuff gets WAYYYY sappier in The Lion King than Aladdin. Ewww! Mushy stuff!

[quote name='lokizz']actually nightmare before christmas is better than both of those films.[/QUOTE]
Actually, Tron was better than all three of those films.

See what I did there? ;)

i change my mind...i think aladdin is the better movie though i liked both of them. i feel the genie and iago are greatly superior to timon and pumba (though they're funny too).

[quote name='FroMann']Actually, Tron was better than all three of those films.

See what I did there? ;)
[/QUOTE]

lol tron was awesome though for the time.

lion king was more dynamic but aladdin will always remain #1 in my heart.

I disagree, OP. "A Whole New World" will always be the best Disney song. It's simply amazing.

Aladdin. Better music, was one of those movies as a kid I could watch repeatedly and it had the better Genesis game (minus the kick my ass magic carpet levels).

Robin Williams riffing obnoxious for an hour and a half or Hamlet on the Savannah? I'm going with the Lion King.

If you asked me as kid I would have said otherwise, having a kid and rewatching these gives me another opinion: Alladin is soulless garbage.

Aladdin.

kim_kardashian_princess_jasmine_halloween.jpg

Aladdin just wanted to get laid. Simba was learning about SURVIVAL, yo!

Plus, I used to work at Animal Kingdom. My vote is for "The Lion King".

Last edited by a moderator:
Aladdin is my favorite overall Disney movie. The cast was incredible (Robin Williams and Gilbert Gottfried FTW), the songs are the best in a Disney movie and I would have totally banged Jasmine. I even loved the straight to DVD sequels.

[quote name='tcrash247'] I even loved the straight to DVD sequels.[/QUOTE]
Self-invalidating post. ;)
Even the one with the Robin Williams sound-a-like (who was surprisingly less annoying than the real thing)?

Edit: Also, FTR those were "Straight to VHS."

Last edited by a moderator:
This should not even be close. Aladdin is like a fat woman barreling toward the buffet, and the Lion King is like some unfortunate child standing in the way trying to defend himself with a bread stick. This isn't even a matter of weighing two films of remotely equal standing.

Film theory 101:

Good movie > Bad movie

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']the debate is over two contemporary disney movies, not all.[/QUOTE]
But if it was, this would be how I'd rank all the "Animated Classics"...

1. Pinocchio (1940)
2. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)
3. Dumbo (1941)
4. Lady and the Tramp (1955)
5. Sleeping Beauty (1959)
6. Robin Hood (1973)
7. Beauty and the Beast (1991)
8. Alice in Wonderland (1951)
9. Cinderella (1950)
10. Bambi (1942)
11. One Hundred and One Dalmatians (1961)
12. The Jungle Book (1967)
13. The Fox and The Hound (1981)
14. Aladdin (1992)
15. The Lion King (1994)
16. Pocahontas (1995)
17. The Princess and the Frog (2009)
18. Tarzan (1999)
19. Dinosaur (2000)
20. Mulan (1998)
21. Meet the Robinsons (2007)
22. Lilo and Stitch (2002)
23. The Emperor's New Groove (2000)
24. Hercules (1997)
25. Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001)
26. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)
27. Peter Pan (1953)
28. The Aristocats (1970)
29. The Sword in the Stone (1963)
30. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (1977)
31. The Black Cauldron (1985)
32. The Little Mermaid (1989)
33. Bolt (2008)
34. Brother Bear (2003)
35. Chicken Little (2005)
36. The Great Mouse Detective (1986)
37. The Rescuers Down Under (1990)
38. The Rescuers (1977)
39. Oliver and Company (1988)
40. Fun and Fancy Free (1947)
41. The Adventures of Ichabod & Mr Toad (1949)
42. Home on the Range (2004)
43. Treasure Planet (2002)
44. Melody Time (1948)
45. Saludos Amigos (1942)
46. Fantasia (1941)
47. Fantasia 2000 (1999)
48. Make Mine Music (1946)
49. The Three Caballeros (1944)

So, Aladdin > Lion King for me, but just barely.

bread's done
Back