BP Distributes Bad Gas Batch in NW Indiana

bigpimpin24

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
http://www.webpronews.com/bp-recalls-gas-after-motorists-rack-up-huge-repair-bills-2012-08

BP this week issued a recall on a 50,000 barrel batch of gasoline shipped to Northwestern Indiana fuel distributors. The recall covers all unleaded regular gas shipped from the Whiting, Indiana fuel storage terminal between August 13 – 17.

In an official statement, BP said it believes the gas contained a higher than normal amount of polymeric residue. The company admitted that the fuel in question could cause hard starting, salling, and “other drivability issues.” BP stated that it guarantees every gallon of gas it sells, and urges customers who believe they received some of the bad batch to call BP’s customer hotline. Anyone buying gas from Northwest Indiana BP stations or other gas stations during the past week may have been affected.

Presumably, motorists will have their vehicle repair costs covered by BP. This is assuming, of course, that customers can get ahold of someone at BP. The Consumerist is reporting that BP’s customer hotline is being flooded at the moment, causing long hold times. According to a local news report, the estimated cost for repairing one of the affected vehicles is around $1,200.

BP is now reviewing shipping records and contacting Northwest Indiana distributors who have loaded the bad product onto tanker trucks and replacing the bad gas. The company issued an apology, stating, “We would like to apologize for the inconvenience this has caused some of our customers.”
And guess who's car was affected? :wall:

Went to start up my car this morning and it was stuttering quite a bit. Managed to turn on for about 3 seconds, started shaking violently and the car turned off. At first I thought it was my car in question but was confused because there were no warning signs at all when I was driving yesterday. Saw a couple of people on Facebook mentioning their cars/neighbor cars weren't starting and that's when I found out about this. Talk about a shit storm!

[quote name='bigpimpin24']http://www.webpronews.com/bp-recalls-gas-after-motorists-rack-up-huge-repair-bills-2012-08

And guess who's car was affected? :wall:

Went to start up my car this morning and it was stuttering quite a bit. Managed to turn on for about 3 seconds, started shaking violently and the car turned off. At first I thought it was my car in question but was confused because there were no warning signs at all when I was driving yesterday. Saw a couple of people on Facebook mentioning their cars/neighbor cars weren't starting and that's when I found out about this. Talk about a shit storm![/QUOTE]

Question now become GOOD LUCK proving that you got gas at these stations and its not just something wrong with your car...

was starting to worry about my car but i think i get 99% of my gas at marathon

We used to get gas at BP but this happened a few years ago and the screwed over everyone and never paid any of the repairs

Yeah, I'm glad I don't fill up at BP. Heard about this on local radio and breathed a sigh of relief when it was just BP.

[quote name='keithp']BP stands for "bad petrol". It's not the first time they've done this.[/QUOTE]

Near me there is a BP across the road from an Shell. Shell gas is always at least a nickel higher, yet their station is always full and BP is always empty.

fuck BP I wouldn't touch their gas with a ten foot pole. Their company stinks and their gas is shit. OP I hope you learned your lesson about BP gas, good luck with your car and spread the word!

Had a guy look at my car this morning and he was able to get it started. It still is stuttering while I'm driving but I topped my tank off with some Premium. He said I'll need to run the fuel out and he'll clean out the injectors. Read some articles this morning that mentioned BP received over 5000 calls and 800 e-mails yesterday on the matter. $$$$

[quote name='bigpimpin24']Had a guy look at my car this morning and he was able to get it started. It still is stuttering while I'm driving but I topped my tank off with some Premium. He said I'll need to run the fuel out and he'll clean out the injectors. Read some articles this morning that mentioned BP received over 5000 calls and 800 e-mails yesterday on the matter. $$$$[/QUOTE]

keep us up to date.. i say BP screws you over and never pays or pays 10% of the bill... they will say your injectors were plugged to start with.

funny thing what is going to happen its going to go into class action and your going to get a gift card for like 100 bucks of their gas LOL

I went over to mathon today to get my gas and the lady next to me was sitting in her car and the pump was making like a hissing nose and you could see the HOSE JUMPING .(Like air or something in the line) if my car starts acting up im going to be pissed (ended up getting 10 bucks in gas instead of filling it up )

[quote name='slidecage']
I went over to mathon today to get my gas and the lady next to me was sitting in her car and the pump was making like a hissing nose and you could see the HOSE JUMPING .(Like air or something in the line) if my car starts acting up im going to be pissed (ended up getting 10 bucks in gas instead of filling it up )[/QUOTE]

Crazy shit happening to/around slidecage! Stop the presses!

EDIT - Oh, I forgot to mention that my car recommends BP gas. I have no doubt that it's a marketing thing but it's still weird.

[quote name='Halo05']
EDIT - Oh, I forgot to mention that my car recommends BP gas. I have no doubt that it's a marketing thing but it's still weird.[/QUOTE]

What the fuck? What is your car?

A relatively new BMW. I don't know if it's something that's been in the owner's manuals for years or not. Maybe because BP is (at least initially, no idea who owns it now) is a European company. Or maybe they use less ethanol in the mixture than other companies.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']What the fuck? What is your car?[/QUOTE]

I have a 2008 Ford Focus and mine has that recommendation somewhere on the gas cap or lid. So he probably has a Ford as well.

[quote name='slidecage']keep us up to date.. i say BP screws you over and never pays or pays 10% of the bill... they will say your injectors were plugged to start with.

funny thing what is going to happen its going to go into class action and your going to get a gift card for like 100 bucks of their gas LOL

I went over to mathon today to get my gas and the lady next to me was sitting in her car and the pump was making like a hissing nose and you could see the HOSE JUMPING .(Like air or something in the line) if my car starts acting up im going to be pissed (ended up getting 10 bucks in gas instead of filling it up )[/QUOTE]

found out today the place shut those pumps down that was doing it... They said there is no way it could harm the cars that got gas out of them but it seems the gas fumes were backing up putting more presure in the line off and on making the pump jump and hiss like that .... i was like ok if that is what you say

ALSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo05
EDIT - Oh, I forgot to mention that my car recommends BP gas. I have no doubt that it's a marketing thing but it's still weird.

your car talks to you saying it wants BP Gas :) i really never seen a car do that (i wonder if the place that sold the car to you has a deal with BP just telling people that)

[quote name='crunchb3rry']I've been known to distribute bad gas myself.[/QUOTE]
:lol:Me too. But only after the Chinese buffet and that yummy broccoli they make.:whistle2:#
[quote name='Halo05']
EDIT - Oh, I forgot to mention that my car recommends BP gas. I have no doubt that it's a marketing thing but it's still weird.[/QUOTE]
Your car recommends BP gas? Is this your car?;)
kitt-1.jpg

On topic, more bad news for BP? It couldn't happen to a more deserving company. They might as well just dump this bad gas in the Gulf like they did those millions(billions?) of gallons of oil followed by the tons of dispersants they used.:roll:

Har har har.

It's in the owner's manual somewhere. The label by the gas cap only mentions to use premium gas.

One day if I get too much money, I'd love to track down a 1982 Trans Am and start with the modifications.

I was on a midwest college tour with my son. On the way from Northwestern to University of Michigan, I purchased gas at a BP station on I-90/80 (i think it was that as opposed to I-94) - east of Gary, IN on Tuesday, 8/21. The car was fine until we got to our hotel. Then, when I started it again to go to dinner, it started to sputter like it was going to stall, so turned it off and tried again. It still sputtered, I tried driving ayway and the check Engine light came on, then off, the 4WD light came on then off, the VSC light came off then on. Can't remember if I started it again, but eventually all lights went off and it stopped sputtering and everything has been fine since. Drove all the way back to NJ without a problem. Hoping it doesn't become an issue. But I'm going to keep that receipt for a while.

Apparently Milwaukee, Indianapolis and Chicago also got hit with a bad batch of gas. It was their Premium though, not Unleaded.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...ed-bp-spokesman-bad-gas-premium-and-mid-grade

As for my car, I've been running it with the bad gas still and it sputters quite a bit. My mechanic told me to finish as much of it as I can and then he'll clean out the injectors. It's been really annoying driving around with that gas because the car has a really hard time picking up. Hopefully all is well soon.

[quote name='Halo05']Har har har.

It's in the owner's manual somewhere. The label by the gas cap only mentions to use premium gas.

One day if I get too much money, I'd love to track down a 1982 Trans Am and start with the modifications.[/QUOTE]

might as use premium gas only but i never seen a cap or book that names a store to go to (like only use BP GAS ONLY)

years ago i had a chance to get a 82 trans that look like that for 5 k bad thing it would taken another 5 to 7k to even get it back on the road (blown engine and tons of other crap) seems owner blew the engine and then allow the car to set for years and the mice got in and ate everything in the car (all the wires were shot and chewed)

bread's done
Back