Brand new thead for minibox games at Half Price Books

PcGirl

CAGiversary!
Hi Guys,

You might know me from my active posting on the Big Lots PC games page. I am a receiving manager at a company that supplies American retailers with discount gaming computer software. I'm kind of a CAG myself, so I teamed up with the rep at our company who sells these retailers. I can now find out which games are heading to which retailers. Half Price Books is an excellent customer. What I like about them is that they stock many copies per title per store. That way, it's much more likely that you'll find what I post. I am in communication with both the rep at our company for what we shipped them, and the buyer's assistant at HPB, so we can find out what they're getting elsewhere and get it posted!

For starters, tommorow or tonight, I will post a list of where the 100 or so Half Price Book stores are. They I'll post the last few shipments that they have received from us. The more chatter they see on this thread, the more time they will have to dedicate to giving us info. I'm even going to push for a coupon exclusive to CAGs.

Talk to you tommorow!

PCgirl.:bouncy:

Sweet! I find your contribution to the Big Lots thread valuable, and I'm looking forward to your contributions to this thread.

Some are a few months old, and some are brand new. I thought they were important anyway in case someone wants to start a master list. I go oldest to newest. Retail pricing will be included. All minibox as far as a I know.

DISCIPLES II RISE OF THE ELVES GOLD $ 6.00
IRON WARRIORS T72 TANK COMMAND $ 7.98
CIVIL WAR A NATION DIVIDED $ 5.98
CARRIE THE CARGIVER $ 5.00
VIRTUAL VILLAGERS THE LOST CHILDREN $ 5.00
SIMS MAKIN MAGIC EXP. $ 5.98
MALL TYCOON 3 $ 7.98
BATTLE FOR EUROPE $ 6.98
DINER DASH 2 $ 9.98
CALL FOR HEROES POMPALIC WARS $ 6.98
BRIGADE E5 $ 5.00
ALADDIN CHESS ADVENTURES $ 5.00

More to come!!!

PCgirl.:applause:

Thanks for doing this post. I love shopping at HPB, currently have a $25 gift card looking to buy some stuff. Don't need no stinkin' books, though, got too many.

Any idea if you'll be sending stuff to the ones in Austin, TX area?

So I'm curious, where do these games come from to begin with? Are they overstock or is it actually profitable for companies to produce and sell them at these price points/

At any rate, HPB has some OK deals but I've never seen anything I couldn't get on ebay for a couple bucks cheaper. It seems like most games start showing up in large volume for cheap on ebay a bit before they roll into HPB. Still decent if you want instant gratification.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Thanks for doing this post. I love shopping at HPB, currently have a $25 gift card looking to buy some stuff. Don't need no stinkin' books, though, got too many.

Any idea if you'll be sending stuff to the ones in Austin, TX area?[/quote]

The good thing about HPB is that they ship every title to every store. When we ship chains like Big Lots, it's an assortment. Usually one of a title per box. So your odds of scoring at Half Price books is much better.

Hope this helps.

[quote name='JCDenton']So I'm curious, where do these games come from to begin with? Are they overstock or is it actually profitable for companies to produce and sell them at these price points/

At any rate, HPB has some OK deals but I've never seen anything I couldn't get on ebay for a couple bucks cheaper. It seems like most games start showing up in large volume for cheap on ebay a bit before they roll into HPB. Still decent if you want instant gratification.[/quote]

HPB is a little more expensive than Big Lots, but they stock at least a dozen of a title per store. In many cases, it's more like 36. We sell many ebay resellers, and we've experienced that once you pay the freight on an item less than $ 10.00, you can actually come out ahead at HPB.

Whadaya think?

PCgirl.

[quote name='JCDenton']So I'm curious, where do these games come from to begin with? Are they overstock or is it actually profitable for companies to produce and sell them at these price points/

At any rate, HPB has some OK deals but I've never seen anything I couldn't get on ebay for a couple bucks cheaper. It seems like most games start showing up in large volume for cheap on ebay a bit before they roll into HPB. Still decent if you want instant gratification.[/quote]

It's would be hard to make money manufacturing this stuff south of $ 10.00 retail after the cost of goods and the royalties. Freight is also becoming a killer.

PCgirl.

ARTHUR AND THE INVISIBLES $ 5.00
BATTLESTAR GALACTICA $ 7.98
BOILING POINT $ 9.98
CONFLICT GLOBAL TERROR $ 6.98
CSI DARK MOTIVES $ 7.98
DEVIL MAY CRY 3 $ 7.98
DIPLOMACY $ 6.00
EUROPA UNIVERSALIS LIMITED EDITION $ 14.98
HEARTS OF IRON ANTHOLOGY $ 9.98
MAGIC BALL ADVENTURES $ 6.00
PAT SAJAK'S LUCKY LETTERS DLX $ 4.98
PLANT TYCOON $ 6.00
POLICE QUEST COLLECTION $ 7.98
ROCK TOUR TYCOON $ 5.00
SID MEIER'S RAILROADS $ 7.98
SILVERFALL $ 7.98
SPACE QUEST COLLECTION $ 9.98
WIZARD WAR CHEST $ 6.00
WORLD WAR 2 COMBAT ROAD TO BERLIN $ 7.98

I'll do more tommorow. Gettin tired!:lol:

PCgirl

There's a Half-Price Books near where I live and I L-O-V-E shopping there! I'll go in there one week and they'll be selling a game for $7.98 and then the next week I'll go back in and the same game will be $2.00! I got the Police Quest Collection for $2.00! I saw a brand-new Mirror's Edge (SEALED) for $24.98 earlier today! Too bad I already bought it. For anybody interested in that copy of Mirror's Edge, the Half-Price Books I went to was Rocky River, OH.

Thanks for the info PcGirl! I'd LOVE to know what games they have or WILL have before they do, if that's possible. I only go up there once or twice every couple of months so I'm sure I miss out on alot of great deals.

[quote name='One4Deuce']Will be on the lookout for the Police Quest Collection. Thanks PCgirl.[/quote]

Like I said in my earlier post, I got the Police Quest Collection at a Half-Price Books near me for $2.00 (BRAND-NEW, SEALED). Last time I saw it in the store there was one left so...

good ol half price books.... where i found Fallout 1 and 2 for a buck each, diablo 2 for 5 bucks, and a few rare stategy guides. there are like 4 near me in northwest austin texas.

Yeah, I've been shopping at Half-Price Books for over a few years now I believe. They've got some amazing deals, and they sell used PC games which is awesome.

And although I don't do it often, I even managed to flip a mint condition copy of I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, which was really hard to do because I loved that game when I was younger, (but hey, how can you pass up buying a game for $3 and selling it for $80+ on Ebay). ;)

I've seen nearly every title mentioned in her posts, so don't doubt her authenticity. Hoping for some good finds for me soon.

I've been using Half-Price Books for years and years in obtaining most of my Players Guide collection for all my games. :) I get most of my mangas from there too. I feel lucky to have four of these stores within driving distance!

ALLIANCE FUTURE COMBAT $ 6.00
APPRENTICE: LOS ANGELES $ 6.98
BATTLESHIP/TROUBLE/PERFECTION $ 6.00
BIRTH OF AMERICA $ 9.98
BOOKWORM $ 7.98
BROTHERS IN ARMS EARNED IN BLOOD $ 7.98
CASUAL GAME PACK $ 5.98
CLOSE QUARTERS COMBAT $ 6.98
COMBAT MISSION SHOCK FORCE $ 5.98
DANGEROUS WATERS $ 9.98
DESPERADOS 2 COOPER REVENGE $ 7.98
DORA THE EXPLORER CANDYLAND $ 9.98
DUCATI WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP $ 7.98
DUNGEON LORDS $ 7.98
EMERGENCY 3 $ 6.00
FACES OF WAR $ 6.00
HEROES OF THE PACIFIC $ 7.98
HISTORY CHANNEL BATTLE FOR THE PACIFIC $ 7.98
KEEPSAKE $ 7.98
LA STREET RACING $ 6.00
MARINE SHARPSHOOTER 3 $ 6.98
OPEN SEASON $ 5.00
PACIFIC FIGHTERS $ 7.98
PAINKILLER GOLD EDITION $ 7.98
PRISON TYCOON MAXIMUM SECURITY $ 6.00
RAYMEN 10TH ANNIVERSARY COLLECTION $ 6.00
SEAL OF EVIL $ 9.98
SIN EPISODE EMERGENCE $ 5.00
SOLDIER OF FORTUNE PAYBACK $ 6.00
SPLINTER CELL CHAOS THEORY $ 6.00

Still more to come.

PCgirl\\:D/

EMPIRE EARTH 2 $ 9.98
F.E.A.R. DIRECTOR'S EDITION $ 9.98
TIMESHIFT $ 7.00
WHEEL OF FORTUNE DELUXE $ 9.98
JEOPARDY DELUXE $ 9.98
SOLIDER ELITE $ 7.98
7 WONDERS $ 4.00
DEFCON $ 5.00
NANCY DREW DOUBLE DARE 2 $ 9.98
NANCY DREW SECRET OF THE OLD CLOCK $ 9.98
NANCY DREW LAST TRAIN TO BLUE MOON CANYON $ 9.98
TONKA ON THE JOB $ 6.00
ESCAPE FROM PARADISE CITY $ 6.98
PACIFIC STORM $ 9.98

Just 2 more after this one!!!

PCgirlO:)

[quote name='zindry09']good ol half price books.... where i found Fallout 1 and 2 for a buck each, diablo 2 for 5 bucks, and a few rare stategy guides. there are like 4 near me in northwest austin texas.[/QUOTE]

I wish I had a store like yours. The HPB closest to me would have charged $9.99 for the Fallout games, and $12.99 for a used copy of Diablo II. They routinely sell used games for higher than the retail price I could pay at the Target that is right down the road.

Most recently, I found a used copy of Neverwiner Nights 2. Price for a new copy on Amazon.com: $19.99. Price for used at my HPB: $24.99.

[quote name='inubu']I wish I had a store like yours. The HPB closest to me would have charged $9.99 for the Fallout games, and $12.99 for a used copy of Diablo II. They routinely sell used games for higher than the retail price I could pay at the Target that is right down the road.

Most recently, I found a used copy of Neverwiner Nights 2. Price for a new copy on Amazon.com: $19.99. Price for used at my HPB: $24.99.[/quote]

Hi All CAGs. I have the most wonderful relationship with many, many employees including decision makers at HPB. If you think their pricing of used games in some stores is too expensive, send me a PM. They are a strong company and are always interested in bettering their business. I'll send them a note and they'll give it the due attention.

CAGs input can change things!!!

PCgrl:D

SIMS 2 FAMILY FUN $ 4.98
PHLINX $ 4.98
SWEET TOOTH $ 4.98
TUMBLE BEES $ 4.98
WORD WHOMP $ 4.98
HARRY POTTER AND ORDER OF THE PHEONIX $ 4.98
NBA LIVE 08 $ 4.98
SIMS CARNIVAL SNAPCITY $ 4.98
SIMS CARNIVAL BUMPERBLAST $ 4.00
BIONCLE HEROES $ 7.98
SCOOBY CAMERA FRIGHTS MYSTERY $ 6.98
CAKE MANIA DLX $ 7.98
FRONTLINE FIELDS OF THUNDER $ 5.98
MAHJONG QUEST 1 & 2 $ 6.98
STRANGLEHOLD $ 9.98
CHOCOLATIER TIN $ 7.98
DREAM CHRONICLES TIN $ 6.98
DINER DASH FLO ON THE GO $ 7.98
NEIGHBORS FROM HELL: ON VACATION $ 5.98
JEWEL QUEST 1 & 2 TIN $ 6.98
DINER DASH 1 & 2 TIN $ 6.98
FATE $ 9.98
TOM CLANCY'S CHRONICLES $ 9.98
UNREAL TOURNAMENT 3 $ 14.98
RESERVOIR DOGS $ 6.00
HERETIC KINGDOMS $ 6.00
QUAKE 4 $ 6.98
ENEMY TERRIORY: QUAKE WARS $ 6.98
DEEP SEA TYCOON $ 5.00
MONOPOLY 2008 $ 7.00
ATLANTIS QUEST $ 5.00
LORD OF THE RINGS SHADOWS OF ANGMAR $ 9.98

Only one more!!!

PCgirl:whistle2:#

[quote name='xycury']Thank you PcGirl!

Are these in stores now? or shipping to? When are we expected to see these in stock?[/quote]

I have one more update to go. All previous titles and these have already been shipped. I'll start to post titles that are en-route after that.

[quote name='PcGirl']Hi All CAGs. I have the most wonderful relationship with many, many employees including decision makers at HPB. If you think their pricing of used games in some stores is too expensive, send me a PM. They are a strong company and are always interested in bettering their business. I'll send them a note and they'll give it the due attention.

PCgrl:D[/quote]

The new miniboxed copies aren't the problem, really. The problem is that each store has a single person who is in charge of pricing the used games that are bought from the customers. Often this person doesn't know the market very well. I've seen several cases of used pc games getting marked up to ridiculous amounts simply because they are "out-of-print".

It's fairly random too. I'll find some rare, awesome game complete in first release big box for $3. Then just a shelf over I'll find some torn apart ancient shovelware title for $30.

On the balance it's always worked out in my favor at the stores I frequent so I'm not complaining. :)

ANKH $ 7.98
BEE MOVIE $ 6.98
FARM VET $ 7.98
PACMAN RALLY $ 5.98
ROME TOTAL WAR GOLD EDITION $ 9.98
SHREK SUPERSLAM $ 5.98
SPIDERMAN 3 $ 5.98
TWO WORLDS $ 7.98

So starting in the next couple of days, I will start posting titles that are on their way to HPB.

Talk to you then!!!

PCgirl:applause:

[quote name='nexen']... up to ridiculous amounts simply because they are "out-of-print". [/quote]

Yeah, some of those prices are hee-larious.

[quote name='VinZuku']I saw a brand-new Mirror's Edge (SEALED) for $24.98 earlier today![/quote]

Wow! That's awesome! Would love to see this come to my HPB!

[quote name='dg7md']I've seen nearly every title mentioned in her posts, so don't doubt her authenticity. Hoping for some good finds for me soon.[/quote]
There shouldn't EVER have been a reason to doubt her. She's been helping us on the Big Lots thread for quite some time now. ;)

[quote name='inubu']I wish I had a store like yours. The HPB closest to me would have charged $9.99 for the Fallout games, and $12.99 for a used copy of Diablo II. They routinely sell used games for higher than the retail price I could pay at the Target that is right down the road.[/quote]
Check the clearance section for even better deals. That's where I got my Fallout 2 for $2.

[quote name='BMXJouster']
And although I don't do it often, I even managed to flip a mint condition copy of I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, which was really hard to do because I loved that game when I was younger, (but hey, how can you pass up buying a game for $3 and selling it for $80+ on Ebay). ;)[/quote]
Really? I thought you could buy the game straight off his website (for $32).
http://harlanellison.com/herc.htm#ihnm

[quote name='Mikey777']Really? I thought you could buy the game straight off his website (for $32).
http://harlanellison.com/herc.htm#ihnm[/quote]

Well, I sold it to someone overseas, so maybe they can't get it there? I don't know to tell you the truth. When I listed it, Ebay even told me that it had an average selling price of close to $100 at the time.

Plus, the one I sold had the original box, booklet, and the disc was in mint condition, (and an original copy of the game). Maybe the ones he sells on his website are just reprints and not worth as much? I think it's more of a collector's item than anything else.

LEARN TO SPEAK SPANISH DLX
DAESAR IV
LEARN TO PLAY GUITAR COMPLETE
POGO FAMILY FUN PACK
SIMS 2 CELEBRATION STUFF
ALVIN AND THE CHIPMUNKS
FIFA 08
CARD AND BOARD DELUXE SUITE
MARVEL ULTIMATE ALLIANCE
FLATOUT 2
FORD RACING 3
SPACE EMPIRES V (SEE MY POST ABOUT THIS ONE LATER TODAY)
CRUSADER KINGS
HEARTS OF IRON 2
SILENT HEROES ELITE TROOPS OF
MAJESTY GOLD
STAR FURY
AIR CONFLICTS
PENUMBRA BLACK PLAGUE
TAKE COMMAND 2ND MANASSAS
ELITE WARRIOR VIETNAME
ATTACK PACK
CONCENTRATION
CUBIS 2
JEWEL OF SINAI
MAHJONG TOWERS OF ETERNITY
PENGUINS
RICOCHET INFINITY

At this time, the pricing is unknown.

PC girl.:whistle2:#

All minibox. Pricing unknown.

WINGS OVER EUROPE
SPACE SIEGE
THE INCREDIBLE HULK
IRON MAN
FETCH IT AGAIN
LET'S RIDE FRIENDS FOREVER
RHEM 3
SCRATCHES DIRECTOR'S CUT
BARROW HILL
MAHHJONGG ARTIFACTS
ATLANTIS QUEST
AUSTRALIA ZOO
SECRETS OF THE ARK
COLDWAR
DEAD REEFS
EVIDENCE
FIRST BATTALION
GLORY OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE
THE SACRED RINGS
LIGHTBRINGER (REALLY CHEAP)
NIGHTLONG (REALLY CHEAP)
SAFECRACKER (REALLY CHEAP)

Hope this helps!

PCgirl:bouncy:

"Let's Ride Friends Forever" sounds a bit dubious. Might have to go look for Caesar IV though, been in the mood for a city builder.

[quote name='PcGirl']Hi All CAGs. I have the most wonderful relationship with many, many employees including decision makers at HPB. If you think their pricing of used games in some stores is too expensive, send me a PM. They are a strong company and are always interested in bettering their business. I'll send them a note and they'll give it the due attention.

PCgrl:D[/quote]

Since you asked... I wanted to know if anyone reading this thread is familiar with how HPB's prices change over time. I've been eyeing a copy of Jade Empire for PC (about 7 on the shelf) for months but it hasn't gone down from $15, which is too much in my CAG-opinion.

bread's done
Back