Breaking Bad Appreciation Thread

I honestly don't get why anyone would hate Skylar but like Walt. Only reasons I can think of involve male chauvinism and misogyny and I'm sure I'm not too far off considering the demographic.

Hank dying seemed a little anticlimactic when it actually did happen but Marie has been putting in work. Her character is so unlikeable but she's been doing some excellent acting in the last half of the season. I'm also glad that Walt Jr. got his moment.

Wow - that was probably the best episode of probably the best TV show I've ever seen.  Walt rolling the barrell by his pants that he left out there from the first epidode was great and I also love how Marie was dressed in black the entire time.  I can't ever remember watching a show where everything was in play - would there have been anything in the last episode that happened that would have surprised you?  I thought Walt might kill Skylar or even the baby and it doesn't even sound that far-fetched! 

I honestly don't get why anyone would hate Skylar but like Walt. Only reasons I can think of involve male chauvinism and misogyny and I'm sure I'm not too far off considering the demographic.
Pretty much. She is trying to protect her family from a bad guy and breaks a little bad herself and somewhat joins his side at a certain point.

Wow - that was probably the best episode of probably the best TV show I've ever seen. Walt rolling the barrell by his pants that he left out there from the first epidode was great and I also love how Marie was dressed in black the entire time. I can't ever remember watching a show where everything was in play - would there have been anything in the last episode that happened that would have surprised you? I thought Walt might kill Skylar or even the baby and it doesn't even sound that far-fetched!
Since the whole opening was about Holly and they were rolling around with a knife I thought the baby might accidentally get knifed but I love how it turned out.

Walt's a bad guy. But family, even Hank, still trumps everything.

Since the whole opening was about Holly and they were rolling around with a knife I thought the baby might accidentally get knifed but I love how it turned out.
Same here. I thought for sure one of the kids was going to get killed but they way they handled it was way better. Nothing happens on this show that is accidental.

I didn't think the kids would get hurt if only because Walt (and apparently some of the fans) keep believing in this ideal that family means more than doing the right thing. I had no idea he was gonna take the baby though.

Only way of disliking Skylar and liking Walt is if you're sexist? Ouch, can we not do that?

I'm pretty sure you're meant to find her childish and irrational until this point where she finally took the positive spotlight. Nearly every major character just told her she's been doing everything wrong and it's true. She's had some of the worst decision making moments in the entire series, but also the nerve to pretend she was above it all, while also lending herself to the most melodramatic scenes of the show. Some of those were just completely overwritten and overacted. But I'm glad she's finally come full circle and I'd say she was the highlight of the last episode.

Marie is one of my favorite characters by comparison. She plays the oblivious suburban mentality perfectly, and it's hard not to understand her side of things in any given situation. Skylar was just a roller coaster of 'WTF's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Understand Marie's actions based on the character or based on the situations? Marie acts overly emotional and righteous with everything and it fits her character perfectly, but she's irrational as fuck. If I knew that character in real life, I'd never take her seriously.

Skylar is very melodramatic and it's annoying but I don't think her actions have ever been unrealistic. The character has been handling everything pretty awfully but I don't think any of it has been necessarily strange behavior. The only bad things I can remember she's done without any coercion or out of damage control have been the affair with Ted and the time she tried to off herself in the pool.

Some of Skylars actions have been unrealistic. For Walt to pay 80 million to save Hanks life means a lot and shows he truly does care about his family even extended. Thats why I'm still rooting for Walt. That's why I don't understand how people can say "Why root for Walt when Jessie is so awesome?" Well, Jessie was ruining lives way before Walt even came into the game. I like Walt how ever cause he is very methodical, where as Jessie just never had a direction until Walt came around. So yes, #TeamWalt Still and untill the end of the series. I don't think I can be persuaded other wise. So yeah, call me all sexist and everything. What ever.

Only way of disliking Skylar and liking Walt is if you're sexist? Ouch, can we not do that?

I'm pretty sure you're meant to find her childish and irrational until this point where she finally took the positive spotlight. Nearly every major character just told her she's been doing everything wrong and it's true. She's had some of the worst decision making moments in the entire series, but also the nerve to pretend she was above it all, while also lending herself to the most melodramatic scenes of the show. Some of those were just completely overwritten and overacted. But I'm glad she's finally come full circle and I'd say she was the highlight of the last episode.

Marie is one of my favorite characters by comparison. She plays the oblivious suburban mentality perfectly, and it's hard not to understand her side of things in any given situation. Skylar was just a roller coaster of 'WTF's.
Agreed with all.

I think walt jr is a shit character and waste of space on the show does that make me hate crippled people?

Some of Skylars actions have been unrealistic. For Walt to pay 80 million to save Hanks life means a lot and shows he truly does care about his family even extended. Thats why I'm still rooting for Walt. That's why I don't understand how people can say "Why root for Walt when Jessie is so awesome?" Well, Jessie was ruining lives way before Walt even came into the game. I like Walt how ever cause he is very methodical, where as Jessie just never had a direction until Walt came around. So yes, #TeamWalt Still and untill the end of the series. I don't think I can be persuaded other wise. So yeah, call me all sexist and everything. What ever.
Walt reached a point no one should have been rooting for him. But trying to save Hank and what he's set off to do in the last two episodes, EVERYONE has to be rooting for him.

gunnm, on 17 Sept 2013 - 3:50 PM, said:
I think walt jr is a shit character and waste of space on the show does that make me hate crippled people?
No, because he *is* a shit character. The only characteristic involved when it comes to his character is that he is handicapped. People joke about it, but does he do anything besides eat cereal and use a nickname? From what I can remember, we've never even seen his room even though we practically know everything else about that house. I'm also honestly not even sure what his actually disability is, if it's going to get worse, if he goes to therapy, etc.

Have you even watched the show before this season? We've seen his room when he set up the website for cancer donations. He has cerebral palsy, which has been mentioned numerous times.

No, because he *is* a shit character. The only characteristic involved when it comes to his character is that he is handicapped. People joke about it, but does he do anything besides eat cereal and use a nickname? From what I can remember, we've never even seen his room even though we practically know everything else about that house. I'm also honestly not even sure what his actually disability is, if it's going to get worse, if he goes to therapy, etc.
I hate how he pretends to have this disability its sickening.

He actually has mild form of cerebral palsy in real life. You should learn to read about someone before making a comment like that.
gunnm trolls every fucking thread, obviously as a joke since he clearly knows all this.

And if people still didn't see that you probably shouldn't root for Walt after he killed Gus, you probably should have just been rooting for Gus.

I have never stopped rooting for Walt.

I haven't either. While he is certainly a flawed character, there is enough in there to consistently make me like him and understand the decisions he makes. In some ways Walt kind of reminds me of Vic Mackey on the Shield, especially since both series seem to be ending in a similar direction.

It is hard for me to watch a show where I think all the characters are complete scum. It is the biggest reason why I stopped watching Mad Men.

I totally understand why he had to melt a kid in a vat of acid and why he didn't really seem to care that much about it too.

I root for Walt cuz he's a fictional protagonist of a tv show, which I hope is the reason why anybody would root for him, because he's fictional and it's fun.

I totally understand why he had to melt a kid in a vat of acid and why he didn't really seem to care that much about it too.

I root for Walt cuz he's a fictional protagonist of a tv show, which I hope is the reason why anybody would root for him, because he's fictional and it's fun.

Exactly. I cheer for the protagonist of a tv show cause hell, he's the bad guy. Bad is the new good.

Mom pulls a knife on dad, calls police on dad.  :shame: Seriously, what a dick.

I think Walt and Skylar is gonna die in the last episode, then something seriously bad or something really good is going to happen to Walter Jr and Holly. Jessie might have his redemption as well. 

You know his ego is going to lead him to take out Todd's crew.  Walt is now on the run but I'm guessing he gets pulled back to NM when he finds out that Marie (or possibly Skylar) has been killed (Todd kept Jesse alive to cook and tell him who else knows what is going on).  I'm just not sure if Walt is going to die in the fight or perhaps be the only survivor and the series ends with him trying to rebuild his meth empire after losing everything else.

Team ASAC?

So, since he killed Gus, we shouldn't root for him? So, I guess after he killed Crazy 8 we should have stopped as well?
No because once he killed Gus he essentially was Gus. He was the biggest player and the most ruthless.

It's like on Game of Thrones everyone hates Joffrey. Well if someone kills Joffrey, takes over and acts exactly like him when he rules, why would anyone feel better about him?

And as I mentioned before, I'm pulling for Walt now more than ever. He has real vengeance to enact for probably the first time.

And I don't think it's his ego, they wrong him, he will come at them for it and he has nothing to lose. He's dead soon anyway. Cancer, bullets, or ricin, what's the difference in the end? Go out with redemption.

I read somewhere that Vince Gilligan said that the ricin isn't for Walt. I felt bad for Jessie in the end of the episode and then I was like, screw that. Jessie did this to him self.

I read somewhere that Vince Gilligan said that the ricin isn't for Walt. I felt bad for Jessie in the end of the episode and then I was like, screw that. Jessie did this to him self.
The ricin being for Walt is an idea widely popular around the internet (especially on Reddit). I think it's painfully stupid. To think that Walt would succumb himself to days of agony rather than just using a bullet is an idea that's beyond me. I haven't really thought about suicide in my life, but I can say that if I were to do it, it wouldn't be a slow painful death, that's for sure.

The ricin being for Walt is an idea widely popular around the internet (especially on Reddit). I think it's painfully stupid. To think that Walt would succumb himself to days of agony rather than just using a bullet is an idea that's beyond me. I haven't really thought about suicide in my life, but I can say that if I were to do it, it wouldn't be a slow painful death, that's for sure.
It's just hard to use ricin in sneak mode at this point when he's going to attack guys with a huge gun. Unless something is possible I have never thought about.

He will cook with it and everyone but Todd will be killed because they don't wear the gas masks. There has to be a reason they pointed that out.

I don't think Vince would admit to something like that. The best thing going for the show is that a lot of variables are in play which means they can end in so many different ways. Leaving the ricin on the table makes more sense to keep the audience guessing. For what it's worth, I personally don't think Walt is going to use the ricin himself.

But isn't the ricin/rifle scene almost a year in the future?
I don't remember the timeline since I haven't looked it up myself but I think there was a 6 month gap between Walt's last birthday with Skylar and Walt Jr. at their dinner table and the whole Hank/Jesse feud. Which would mean 6 months has lapsed between last week's episode and Walt's rifle scene instead of 12 months.

Just finally got 100% caught up on this show over the last few weeks.  Binge watching over a few weeks probably isn't the best way to experience the show, but it was really my only option to try and get caught up without avoiding spoilers (which I still ran into a couple randomly on the web).

The show has it's ups and downs, but certainly is a very good show with a great cast.  It's very intense and enjoyable, which is especially impressive considering how small of a cast the show has.

I'm excited for the last couple episodes, I'll probably head over to my mom's house so I can watch them live (I don't have cable).

I hope it's OK to talk about both the ups and downs of the show in this thread.  Seems like many places around the web (well Reddit and IGN) seem to think the show, especially this final season, is basically perfect.  I don't necessarily agree with that, but it's a very entertaining show.

bread's done
Back