*BREAKING NEWS* Kirby Puckett has passed away.

A stroke at 44 years old, and a guy as fit as he was (being a pro athlete)?

Let that be a lesson to you kiddies, stay clean.

No disrespect, I'm just saying.

Edit: I once had a hermit crab named Kirby, named after him.

[quote name='evilmax17']A stroke at 44 years old, and a guy as fit as he was (being a pro athlete)?

Edit: I once had a hermit crab named Kirby, named after him.[/QUOTE]

he had a history of health problems, as shown by him retiring due to glaucoma

The first baseball card I ever had was of Kirby Puckett. He automatically became my favorite player at the time. I was heart broken when I read the Sports Illustrated that revealed the "real" Kirby. Either way, it's still sad.

R.I.P. Kirby.

[quote name='2Fast']The first baseball card I ever had was of Kirby Puckett. He automatically became my favorite player at the time. I was heart broken when I read the Sports Illustrated that revealed the "real" Kirby. Either way, it's still sad.

R.I.P. Kirby.[/quote]

You and me both. I was living in North Dakota when they won those two World Series and everyone followed the Twins. Kirby Puckett and Kent Hrbek were two of my favorites. I was sad to hear about his dark side but it just proves we all are human I suppose. Still a hell of a player though.

[quote name='evilmax17']A stroke at 44 years old, and a guy as fit as he was (being a pro athlete)?

Edit: I once had a hermit crab named Kirby, named after him.[/QUOTE]
what? i'm not a baseball fan, so maybe i missed something. i don't get the stay clean comment, did he have a drug history?

[quote name='darkmere']what? i'm not a baseball fan, so maybe i missed something. i don't get the stay clean comment, did he have a drug history?[/quote]
I didn't have any evidence or anything, but I just inferred. Healthy 44 year old guys don't have strokes, and the most common cause of them at that age is a drug overdose.

But I mean come on, who could blame me for thinking that.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Great player, not so great off the field. Still a surprise that he is gone though.[/QUOTE]

Not so great off the field? His groping allegations were cleared. Puckett was one of those rare athletes who was as nice off the field as he was on it, and didn't need the cameras to be on him to do great things for his fans. Please do some research before soiling a dead man's legacy.

[quote name='darkmere']what? i'm not a baseball fan, so maybe i missed something. i don't get the stay clean comment, did he have a drug history?[/QUOTE]

i have never heard of him having a drug history but he might have taken steroids because of the baseball steroid scandal that has been going on. there is no way of proving whether he took steroids or not (scientifically) at this point.

[quote name='evilmax17']I didn't have any evidence or anything, but I just inferred. Healthy 44 year old guys don't have strokes, and the most common cause of them at that age is a drug overdose.

But I mean come on, who could blame me for thinking that.[/QUOTE]

What, do you people WAIT for people to die before ripping them or something? His weight played a factor in his stroke moreso than anything else. And that SI article was a complete crock, his ex-wife was a proven liar.

[quote name='dude2003']i have never heard of him having a drug history but he might have taken steroids because of the baseball steroid scandal that has been going on. there is no way of proving whether he took steroids or not (scientifically) at this point.[/QUOTE]

You know, you could LOOK at him and tell he was clean. Steroids don't turn you into a fat, stocky, barrell shaped hitter whose career best for HR's in a season was a modest 31.

besides, what red blooded american male HASN'T groped a chick or 2 in his time. when you're rich and famous, you're a target for shit.

[quote name='thagoat']besides, what red blooded american male HASN'T groped a chick or 2 in his time. when you're rich and famous, you're a target for shit.[/QUOTE]
Especially when you've got a vindictive ex-wife who probably didn't get a big enough piece of his bank account, and wanted to ruin his reputation.

*pours one out*

mhl4.jpg

[quote name='evilmax17']Healthy 44 year old guys don't have strokes, and the most common cause of them at that age is a drug overdose.[/QUOTE]
i saw a few pics of the guy, and i'd say maybe his weight was an issue? when espn describes you as bouyant and barrel-chested, it's a nice way of saying overweight. i know about the steroid controversy of baseball, and rich and famous people's love of cocaine and other dangerous substances. what was his cholesterol level and diet like? i'd just wait for the coroner's report before assuming he od'ed on blow.

RIP Kirby Puckett. Wasn't a big Twins fan, but damn how could you not like that short fat man who could swing the stick with the best of them. His life, like his career was cut short.

Edit: I once had a hermit crab named Kirby, named after him.[/quote]

Dude, that is pretty shitty of you.

I have lived in MN my whole life, and I watched him win us two World Series Championships. He was overweight when he played, and he was overweight in his retirement. Your veiled steroids references are disrespecful of a truly great player.

[quote name='dragonreborn23']Dude, that is pretty shitty of you.

I have lived in MN my whole life, and I watched him win us two World Series Championships. He was overweight when he played, and he was overweight in his retirement. Your veiled steroids references are disrespecful of a truly great player.[/quote]
I named my crab after the man. I'm well aware of his greatness.

[quote name='2Fast']The first baseball card I ever had was of Kirby Puckett. He automatically became my favorite player at the time. I was heart broken when I read the Sports Illustrated that revealed the "real" Kirby. Either way, it's still sad.

R.I.P. Kirby.[/QUOTE]

Sorta the same with me. RIP

[quote name='Apossum']*pours one out*
mhl4.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I think you poured to much ;)

First ******* on 24, and then Kirby. Damn this has been a bad night.

I still remember going to Twins games just to see him play. The team went downhill after '91, but he still made the games tons of fun.

:beer: This ones for you man.

Originally Posted by thagoat
besides, what red blooded american male HASN'T groped a chick or 2 in his time. when you're rich and famous, you're a target for shit.

Sometimes its hard to understand why all women don't hate men.

Being from Minnesota and growing up around the time of both Twins World Series wins this really has made today very sad for me when I found out less than an hour ago. I literaly when I was a kid dreamed about becoming a Center fielder like him since he was one of my idols when I was growing up.

I never let the scandal stuff ruin how I saw him as which is and forever will be one of baseball's greats. You are going to be missed Kirby. :cry:

A Braves fan, I hated what he did to our team back then. I literally cried (sort of a Kirby *bleeping* Puckett moment). But I never disrespected his talent, and was sad to see him have to retire. I'm sad now. RIP.

And it was definately his weight, according to Jacque Jones.

I was at Game 4 of the 91 World Series. Walked out of the stadium with a respect for him and his team. They don't make many players like him and I'm glad I got to see him in person. God bless him and his family.

Way too young. Grew up watching this guy. Had a thing about collecting his baseball cards back in the day. RIP Kirby.

bread's done
Back