BREAKING: PHIL HARRISON QUITS SONY......!!!!wtf!!!

No, No. Everything is fine at Sony! Really.

This explains his comments about Sony of Japan failing to capitalize on the social gaming trend during GDC. The writing was on the wall. Something seemed really off about that.

Even more hilarious was the indication that Sony of Japan was holding back cross game invites because it was considered "rude" to be able to invite someone to a different game than the one they are playing.

Does this surprise me?? Not really. Early last year, I heard about Phil Harrison in the news all the time. But since E3 2007, I never heard a single word from him (until that GDC comment over Nintendo).

Phil Harrison leaving Sony is nothing new in the industry. Ed Fries, Seamus Blackley, and Peter Moore left MS. Various people have left Nintendo (like Ken Lobb) and Sega through the years.

Kaz taking over for now is not surprising, because he use to head development at SCEA for several years (he's the one who has a lot to do with Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Sony Bend, and other devs together in the past).

Phil's influence was huge in creating games like Singstar, eyetoy, and other unusual things for SCEE. He was a big mucker with them and undoubtedly SCEJ pissed him off enough that between that and the PS3's under performing, he decided to move on.

Peter Moore had something involving location and his family as motivation for the move, I believe. Red ring of death problems could have played a part as well. Or EA paying more.

That's a rumor. Nothing solid has been said.

Nintendo really could use someone like him to pick up the slack in Europe. Nintendo's philosophy fits with Phil's comments at GDC.

GDC: Harrison admits frustration at Sony Japan #1

Too slow in accepting the idea of social gaming

Sony's Phil Harrison, head of worldwide studios for Sony, has expressed his frustration that the company's Japanese division was too slow at accepting the ideas of social gaming – a market now dominated by rival manufacturer Nintendo and its Wii console.

Sony Europe already had three products on the market designed specifically to encourage social gaming in the living room before the Wii was even released – the EyeToy, SingStar and Buzz – but Japanese execs didn't believe in the concept of families enjoying gaming together.

"It's a very interesting and frustrating thing for me to experience because I have been banging the drum about social gaming for a long time, with SingStar, EyeToy and Buzz," he said during a private lunch taking place during GDC week.

"And our Japanese colleagues said that there is no such thing as social gaming in Japan – people do not play games on the same sofa together in each other's homes. It will never happen. And then out comes the Wii."

[quote name='jer7583']Phil's influence was huge in creating games like Singstar, eyetoy, and other unusual things for SCEE. He was a big mucker with them and undoubtedly SCEJ pissed him off enough that between that and the PS3's under performing, he decided to move on.

Peter Moore had something involving location and his family as motivation for the move, I believe. Red ring of death problems could have played a part as well. Or EA paying more.[/QUOTE]But then again, Phil's stuff was mostly big for Europe. SingStar, Eyetoy, etc. may be innovative, but does not have the same impact on the U.S. The PS3 isn't as under performing as you seem to claim anyway.

Although I will tell you something about Japan. Japan HATES accepting ideas from outsiders. They prefer coming up with something (even if it may have been technically copied or similar to something in another country) and say they came up with it (kind of like Nintendo with social gaming, when the U.S. and Europe had many ideas in the future). Japan is not the country to just accept ideas from other countries and use them regardless (Sega and many other publishers have been the same way for years).

“The past 15 years at Sony Computer Entertainment has been the defining journey of my life so far.

I am grateful to all the PlayStation family for their incredible support, guidance and friendship. It has been a privilege to serve as part of the team and be inspired by them on a daily basis. I am so proud of everything PlayStation has achieved and will continue to support its future in every way I can.”
http://www.psu.com/Sonys-Phil-Harrison-resigns--a0002862-p0.php

Now if Eric Lempel, Jack Tretton, or Kaz would have left, then I'd be surprised (because I hear from them constantly).

Why on Earth would he join Atari of all places? That place is cursed. Maybe it'll mean 2600 games on the VC now?

BTW, this statement is made under the assumption of what I heard earlier.

Well, Radiohead does have a summer tour coming up...a choice had to be made eventually.

Good luck, Phil! Get your arses here to the States!

1647_phil_selway_large.jpg

My main concern is that another Japanese guy is back in charge, which means unless he's really good, we'll be losing a lot of the support that went into Phil's Game 3.0 concepts and stuff like cross game invites.

If they're too slow to implement things like in-game XMB, more games like LBP, and cross game invites, or basically making it more like the 360. I may go back to the 360 as my lead system, even with the cost to play on Live,

[quote name='KingBroly']Why on Earth would he join Atari of all places? That place is cursed. Maybe it'll mean 2600 games on the VC now?

BTW, this statement is made under the assumption of what I heard earlier.[/quote]

Atari is jumping back into the console business! The Jaguar and Lynx are making a comeback!! :cool:

[quote name='cokerules']i just left another game forum becauuse of all the "ps3 sucks" topic... im realy sick of u guys making fun of ps3 i just got devil may cry 4 on ps3 and guess hwat? it rocks so shut ur f***ing muth if u have nothin good 2 say go 2 www.xbox.com forum i[/QUOTE]

:rofl: I'm seriously laughing out loud. Thanks so much for that. :applause:

:whee:

[quote name='cokerules']i just left another game forum becauuse of all the "ps3 sucks" topic... im realy sick of u guys making fun of ps3 i just got devil may cry 4 on ps3 and guess hwat? it rocks so shut ur f***ing muth if u have nothin good 2 say go 2 www.xbox.com forum i[/quote]:whee:

Wow... this is surprising. I liked Phil. He was the only guy on the Sony PR team that seemed to give a real damn about gamers and the gaming side of the PS3. I mean yes others do similar but it feels like they are treating it like a job where as Phil knew his shit, knew what gamers wanted, had a vision that most would agree on, etc. You'ld figure HOME, LBP, and multiplayer gaming would be a big push for the social aspect of things. This is big news of him leaving, bigger than Peter Moore leaving MS in my book

:cry:

I hope he goes to Nintendo though :D

Nah. I dont think he would be right for Nintendo. His ideas about digital distribution and online functionality in general really wouldnt mesh with them.

He's a good guy though.

[quote name='cokerules']i just left another game forum becauuse of all the "ps3 sucks" topic... im realy sick of u guys making fun of ps3 i just got devil may cry 4 on ps3 and guess hwat? it rocks so shut ur f***ing muth if u have nothin good 2 say go 2 www.xbox.com forum i[/quote]
Who's making fun? We're discussing the fact that he's leaving and that Sony has made some really disasterous choices in the recent past re: their Video Gaming Department.

Your argument has no credibility as to the business end of SCEA and if I see more pre-adolescent fanboy posts by youwith no actual merit, your time at CAG will have been a short-lived one.

[quote name='guinaevere']Sony has made some really disasterous choices in the recent past re: their Video Gaming Department.[/QUOTE]I disagree 100% with this statement. But that's just me.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I disagree 100% with this statement.[/QUOTE]

Disagree all you want but the sales figures show it's true ;)

[quote name='pimpinc333']Disagree all you want but the sales figures show it's true ;)[/quote]If it was completely tanking, I'd agree.
Fortunately, it isn't.

[quote name='Zewone']Mana Knight headed back to his old ways?[/QUOTE]He's changed. :)
And you doubted it. Tsk tsk.

Protip for TMK.
Bail out.

I know nothing about this Phil Harrison cat but based on what you guys are saying he was turning the PS3 into something I enjoy. I want more online functionality and cross game invites and home and chat and all that stuff. Just because Japanese are socially backwards doesnt mean the US PS3 owners should have to be as well. Again, I know nothing about the guy but it sounds like I should be disappointed he's going. Hopefully someone picks up where he left off.

[quote name='Maklershed']I know nothing about this Phil Harrison cat but based on what you guys are saying he was turning the PS3 into something I enjoy. I want more online functionality and cross game invites and home and chat and all that stuff. Just because Japanese are socially backwards doesnt mean the US PS3 owners should have to be as well. Again, I know nothing about the guy but it sounds like I should be disappointed he's going. Hopefully someone picks up where he left off.[/quote]Yeah, that's why it sucks that are more Japanese perspective might be placed on the system's future.

[quote name='zewone']Mana Knight headed back to his old ways?[/quote]I had no problem with his statement; a guy is entitled to disagree. I was just razzin' him.

Now, if he's so much of a problem to y'all, I'm curious why you don't already have him on your IGNORE LIST. Unless of course you're a troll yourself and want to be causing problems. But surely that couldn't be it, could it?

If you see problems, then report them. If instead you interact with the offending posts and thereby make the mods' job harder, I'll hand out time outs to everyone. Wouldn't that be fun?

InuFaye is right. Talk about Phil.

[quote name='cokerules']i just left another game forum becauuse of all the "ps3 sucks" topic... im realy sick of u guys making fun of ps3 i just got devil may cry 4 on ps3 and guess hwat? it rocks so shut ur f***ing muth if u have nothin good 2 say go 2 www.xbox.com forum i[/quote]
What an apt screenname for such a diatribe....:rofl:

[quote name='pimpinc333']Disagree all you want but the sales figures show it's true ;)[/QUOTE]It may not be as big as PS2 and PS1 overall, but it's doing fine. A failure would be selling under absolutely nothing. But that's just my opinion.

Seamus Blackley, Ed Fries, etc. had a lot to do with the original Xbox early on (who ended up leaving during the mid Xbox lifecycle), and is the 360 a failure now??? Absolutely not and it's doing well. People move on constantly in industry, whether something is a failure or not. Square Enix is going fine without Sakaguichi and Capcom is still moving without Mikami.

But anyway, Phil joining a company like Atari would not be surprising. He is from Europe and I could see him wanting to join a European publisher. Also, Atari is looking at revitalizing their company (which is why they have a new head) and I could see it happening. He might want the challenge of bringing an underdog to the top.

Also, if you look carefully at this:
There was also a sense of completion. The games of 2008, some of which haven’t been announced yet, are all in deep stages of development now – largely beyond executive power - and will define the future of PS3 as a games platform. Harrison’s work on them is mostly done. If he were staying at Sony, his next job would be to begin preparing for the next hardware generation after PlayStation 3 – effectively his fifth hardware launch for the company (if you include PSP).
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9287&Itemid=2

His job at Sony is pretty much done, and it's time to move on (just like with Seamus Blackley and the original Xbox).

Btw, I edited my previous posts a little, just saying "But that's just me". I don't want to start anything with anyone, that's just my overall opinion, that's all.

I hope Phil Harrison can finally go onto the start the European NBA League.

That man would dominate all.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']It may not be as big as PS2 and PS1 overall, but it's doing fine. A failure would be selling under absolutely nothing. But that's just my opinion.

Seamus Blackley, Ed Fries, etc. had a lot to do with the original Xbox early on, and is the 360 a failure now???
[/QUOTE]

Who even said the word failure? We basically said they just made some bad choices. You being you, you decided to defend your console about itnot being a failure. That was pretty random.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']It may not be as big as PS2 and PS1 overall, but it's doing fine. A failure would be selling under absolutely nothing. But that's just my opinion.

Seamus Blackley, Ed Fries, etc. had a lot to do with the original Xbox early on (who ended up leaving during the mid Xbox lifecycle), and is the 360 a failure now??? Absolutely not and it's doing well. People move on constantly in industry, whether something is a failure or not. Square Enix is going fine without Sakaguichi and Capcom is still moving without Mikami.

But anyway, Phil joining a company like Atari would not be surprising. He is from Europe and I could see him wanting to join a European publisher. Also, Atari is looking at revitalizing their company (which is why they have a new head) and I could see it happening. He might want the challenge of bringing an underdog to the top.

Also, if you look carefully at this:
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9287&Itemid=2

His job at Sony is pretty much done, and it's time to move on (just like with Seamus Blackley and the original Xbox).

Btw, I edited my previous posts a little, just saying "But that's just me". I don't want to start anything with anyone, that's just my overall opinion, that's all.[/QUOTE]

BREAKING: THE MANA KNIGHT CAN'T FIND ANY FAULT IN SONY......!!!wtf!!!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nISjjwnQnK8[/media]

[quote name='pimpinc333']Who even said the word failure? We basically said they just made some bad choices. You being you, you decided to defend your console about itnot being a failure. That was pretty random.[/QUOTE]Sorry, I ended making too much of an assumption over what you said (over the looking at your post saying sales and tying it with disaster, and disaster is kind of similar to failure you can say). Oh well, let's just move along. ;)

[quote name='pimpinc333']Who even said the word failure? We basically said they just made some bad choices. You being you, you decided to defend your console about itnot being a failure. That was pretty random.[/quote]Disasterous = failure, in my book.

[quote name='dallow']Disasterous = failure, in my book.[/QUOTE]

Your book is the same as TMK's. Toss that shit out the window ;)

Saying they made disasterous choices doesn't mean failure, in my book. ;)

[quote name='pimpinc333']Your book is the same as TMK's. Toss that shit out the window ;)

Saying they made disasterous choices doesn't mean failure, in my book. ;)[/quote]Poor, is the better word.
And one I'd agree with.

Disaster is the Virtual Boy. ::shudders::

[quote name='dallow']Poor, is the better word.
And one I'd agree with.

Disaster is the Virtual Boy. ::shudders::[/QUOTE]

Virtual Boy Failure Indeed :D

bread's done
Back