Brewery Tours

The Gifuto

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Just wanted to share, last weekend I went on the Huber Brewery Tour,
http://www.huberbrewery.com/ in Monroe, WI. This is my second brewery tour (my first was of the Orion Brewery in Okinawa Japan). If anyone else is nearby, I'd say it is well worth it. It cost $2.00 and you get tickets for 4 samples (around 6 ounces each). Plus, their beer is quite tasty (I've been drinking for over a decade now).

If anyone else has any brewery and/or wine tasting tours experiences/recommedation/stories, please feel free to post.

My dad used to work for Budweiser and they had some pretty good tours back in the day. That was in the 80's though, so they may have changed. You all should know where they are located...

The brewery here in La Crosse (City Brewery) has those tours also. It isn't very expensive, but they only give you one beer at the end.
When it used to be the G. Heileman brewery years ago, it was all you can drink at the end of the tours.

[quote name='jbroush99']The brewery here in La Crosse (City Brewery) has those tours also. It isn't very expensive, but they only give you one beer at the end.
When it used to be the G. Heileman brewery years ago, it was all you can drink at the end of the tours.[/quote]

I think the Huber Brewery may do some bottling for City. I seem to recall something about in on the tour. I think it gets shipped down in milk trucks. Pretty neat, IMO.

I recently went on a tour of the Coors brewery in Golden, CO. Pretty neat! I also got 2 extra samples because of the 2 girls I went with.

I've done two sake breweries in Japan. Luckily, they have a hard time determining the age of caucasians just from look, so I got to drink both times (despite being 16 and 18). They were quite cool tours with the history of sake and such.

As soon as I turn 21, I'm going to go on a tour of the Schlafly Brewery (a St. Louis Brewery that is awesome) and the Anheiser Busch tour (since I'm in St. Louis, it seems like I have to). I have heard good things about both, especially the Schlafly Brewery (since they have a new brewery).

[quote name='The Gifuto'][quote name='jbroush99']The brewery here in La Crosse (City Brewery) has those tours also. It isn't very expensive, but they only give you one beer at the end.
When it used to be the G. Heileman brewery years ago, it was all you can drink at the end of the tours.[/quote]

I think the Huber Brewery may do some bottling for City. I seem to recall something about in on the tour. I think it gets shipped down in milk trucks. Pretty neat, IMO.[/quote]

It's surprising how many different things come out of one brewery. Besides the beers they brew here (City, City Light, La Crosse, La Crosse Light, Special Ex), they also brew/bottle City Slicker (malt liquor), Smirnoff Ice, some varieties of Arizona Iced Tea, and bottled waters.

[quote name='sadunclesnugglez']I recently went on a tour of the Coors brewery in Golden, CO. Pretty neat! I also got 2 extra samples because of the 2 girls I went with.[/quote]

Clarification please. I read this 3 different ways.

1) They didn't drink and gave them to you
2) They were hot and the bartender awarded them to you for being with them
3) They were fugly and the bartender gave them to you for better "beer goggle effect".

Hopefully it was 1 or 2

[quote name='jbroush99'][quote name='The Gifuto'][quote name='jbroush99']The brewery here in La Crosse (City Brewery) has those tours also. It isn't very expensive, but they only give you one beer at the end.

I think the Huber Brewery may do some bottling for City. I seem to recall something about in on the tour. I think it gets shipped down in milk trucks. Pretty neat, IMO.[/quote]

It's surprising how many different things come out of one brewery. Besides the beers they brew here (City, City Light, La Crosse, La Crosse Light, Special Ex), they also brew/bottle City Slicker (malt liquor), Smirnoff Ice, some varieties of Arizona Iced Tea, and bottled waters.[/quote]

Yeah, Huber also brews several different beers which they ship up to Canada. In addition, they also have a line of soda. Pretty amazing.

The best brewery tour in the world is the Heineken brewery in Amsterdam. I've never been to one where you can leave so drunk and full for so little money. Once you get there you can stay all day until they close (around 6 if I remember correctly). It is 1 gilder to get in which at the time was roughly $2. We got there at 7 a.m. for the first tour at 9 a.m. and the line got long very quick. They only take 20 or so people at a time and the tour is only ever hour so if you are the 61st person in line you have to wait until 1 p.m. to get going.

Once the tour was over they brought us to a room filled with tables and then we were served all the beer we could drink all day long. there were also complimentary cheese puffs and blocks of cheese with crackers. It was insane. All day drinking (good beer too) and eating for $2.

[quote name='javeryh']The best brewery tour in the world is the Heineken brewery in Amsterdam. I've never been to one where you can leave so drunk and full for so little money. Once you get there you can stay all day until they close (around 6 if I remember correctly). It is 1 gilder to get in which at the time was roughly $2. We got there at 7 a.m. for the first tour at 9 a.m. and the line got long very quick. They only take 20 or so people at a time and the tour is only ever hour so if you are the 61st person in line you have to wait until 1 p.m. to get going.

Once the tour was over they brought us to a room filled with tables and then we were served all the beer we could drink all day long. there were also complimentary cheese puffs and blocks of cheese with crackers. It was insane. All day drinking (good beer too) and eating for $2.[/quote]

That sounds awesome. You could take a trip to Amsterdam and only have to spend $2 per day for food and beverage. The rest you can blow on hash and hookers!

It's funny I was just thinking about heading to Amsterdam right after tax season. It appears as if I know have another reason to go, the hash! The Heineken tour will be cool too though.

I've done the Heineken tour in A'dam twice, but the way I remember it is a 2-hour affair...one hour tour, one hour to drink as much as you can, then you're booted to make way for the next group.

I had the best bar service I've ever had in my life there, which is funny considering it costs so little. The bar-backs are just standing around with trays of full mugs of beer, and when you take the last drink they're immediately on top of you, swapping you for a full mug before you set the empty one down. Friggin' amazing.

[quote name='cruster']I've done the Heineken tour in A'dam twice, but the way I remember it is a 2-hour affair...one hour tour, one hour to drink as much as you can, then you're booted to make way for the next group.

I had the best bar service I've ever had in my life there, which is funny considering it costs so little. The bar-backs are just standing around with trays of full mugs of beer, and when you take the last drink they're immediately on top of you, swapping you for a full mug before you set the empty one down. Friggin' amazing.[/quote]

When did you go? - maybe they changed their rules since I was there. I went way back in 1997. I remember people leaving and new groups coming in but we were never asked to leave. The bar service was great though wasn't it?

Freakin' amazing. They might have changed it since you've been then - I was there in 1999 and again in 2002.

I've never forgotten how freakin' awesome it was, what with the beer flowing like wine. And they were SMILING as they were bringing it out, like they were happy to be making almost no money and getting you completely plowed.

bread's done
Back