Bricked during update?

darkchild81

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
My little neighbor came over and handed me his dead PSP thinking I could fix it. He had just bought Test Drive and was prompted to update to 2.8x off the UMD. He started the update and then he said that it just froze. He left it alone for a while but it stayed frozen. So he shut it down, now it will turn on but the screen stays black and the drive doesn't make a sound.

I tried swapping out the battery and the memory card, but I think the bios is messed up. Is there anything I can do? Or should I just tell him to save up his allowance for a new one?

He bricked it. He must not have read the directions before updating. In no cases should you ever shut off the PSP while updating. There's nothing you can do to fix it now except send it to Sony. What a shame.

Damn that sucks, how long was it "frozen" for before he turned it off? That's really a no win situtation, let it stay frozen or turn it off.

give an update if your friends pays the 90 dollars... I'm wondering how good are the refurbished psp(s) straight from Sony.

I'm not exactly sure how long it was frozen, but it sounded like it was a while like 10 minutes.

I told him about the $90 and he was shocked. So he ended up breaking the piggy bank and buying a new one. He brought it over to show me how he could play Test Drive now, so he's happy.

Yea, if it was frozen for that long I probably would've shut it off also, sounds like it would either be forever frozen or turn it off and brick. Nice to see he's happy, though I really wish it didn't need ever need a firmware update, they seem to come out with one every week.

That happened to me the first time I turned on my brand new PSP. It took me days to realize what had happened. The instructions *are* pretty bad, and it isn't the kid's fault -- the PSP screen can stay black for up to a full minute before automatically rebooting and can certainly seem frozen!

The instructions should read: Do not shut off or restart your PSP while it is reloading. Reloading may take up to five or more minutes, and your PSP may appear to be frozen during the reload process. Absolutely do not shut off or restart your PSP.

All the instructions say is not to restart. To a first-time user, it can definitely appear frozen and the natural reaction is to restart. Furthermore, most people would assume that no harm can be done in restarting during the "freeze" because the progress bar claims that the update is finished. I really don't blame the kid, and I wish Sony would add a sentence or two to their instructions telling the user that the PSP will appear to be frozen, when it actually is flashing the bios.

bread's done
Back