Brink Review.

Limet

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
This review was written for www.aunonline.com

Earlier this year, AUN was invited to attend a Brink party on the docks of South Boston during PAX East. We played 30 minutes of it, liked what we saw, and developer Splash Damage even linked the article on their website. Brink has been easily one of the most anticipated games for gamers of all platforms since it was delayed from September 2010. Now that the game is finally out, how does the unique multiplayer shooter live up to the hype?

ALL WE NEED​

Unique. Brink offers one of the coolest multiplayer experiences of recent shooters. The game could best be described as a mash up of Mirror’s Edge and Team Fortress 2. It’s “SMART” gameplay combines parkour with guns that flow well together. You’re able to hop over objects, climb up balconies and slide across the floor while sprinting, keeping a nice flow to the game. Combine this with a class system where you’re able to unlock different abilities for each class by leveling up and you have a really cool concept for a game.
Team Play. If you opt to play with friends/other humans (which you really should, I’ll explain), the amount of communication necessary is good. This isn’t a game where going every man for himself will succeed. You need vigorous teamwork in order to accomplish goals. The HUD layout is smart, encouraging you to do different objectives in order to succeed.
Customization. Brink features an incredible customization system where you are able to customize almost everything about your character from the hat to the pants to the tattoos. You earn different outfits/weapon attachments/facial hair etc by leveling up with XP.

THINGS WE NEED​

Multiplayer lobby. For a game so emphasized on multiplayer, it lacks a lobby system at all. One player has to start a game and then immediately invite the others in your party. Not to mention if you unlock new clothing/attachments after a round, you need to leave the game in order to change anything about your character. Sure, you can jump right back in by bringing up the guide and hitting “join session in progress” on one of your friends but it’s just inconvenient as all hell.
More levels. The game features 8 maps on top of the campaign levels which all pretty much are kind of the same thing. For an “ever evolving multiplayer experience” I need more variety than this small amount of content. Sure, you can argue there will be DLC but honestly there needs to be much more content available from launch.
A story. While Brink has dual campaigns (which are really just multiplayer maps with cutscenes) you really could give a shit less about the campaign because every cutscene is pretty much the same thing. Every cutscene with the rebels is basically “WE HAVE GUNS! TIME TO FIGHT! YEAH!” You don’t really ever care and that is problem for a game trying to be “revolutionary.”

WE DONT NEED​

Godawful AI. While the AI is difficult at times (perhaps, too difficult) it is also blatantly retarded. Guys will stand there looking straight at you sometimes as you fill them with bullets. This is where playing with all humans really shines, but again, this game was definitely meant to be a “single player with multiplayer” if that makes sense, otherwise when it comes down to it, it’s just “generic shooter multiplayer with cool concepts.”

NEED OR NOT?
Not.​

As much as I hate to say it, I can’t tell you guys to go out and pick this one up. Not at $60 anyway. $30, maybe. The game does NOT have a multiplayer code so if you were to buy it used or something you’d be just fine playing online. This game seems like it could pick up cult status. It’s definitely not for everybody. While it is definitely a cool concept of a game, it just does not live up to what everybody thought it would be like. Since the story barely exists, I will say the ending encourages a sequel in which case hopefully the devs fix all the problems almost everybody seems to be having with the game. I’d say at least rent it, because it is very cool. But is definitely not something I could see myself regularly playing with the AUN staff. Plus the single player is just multiplayer with bots, which is also no fun. Wait for it to drop in price.

I couldn't get into this game at all. The whole "free run" idea is cool and all but doesn't save the game in my opinion and of course the story-line is pretty much worthless.

bread's done
Back