Broken 60GB,I'm thinking of opening it to fix it myself

Richlough

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
There are a ton of helpful videos on youtube and articles to help me.

I can't afford to pay $150 to fix it, and I want to keep my 60GB.
What do you people think?
[yeah, I said 'you people']

Well, the first thing I was going to recommend was to buy a new one, but since you can't afford to pay for the fix, then do it yourself. No harm no foul.

[quote name='Richlough']There are a ton of helpful videos on youtube and articles to help me.

[yeah, I said 'you people'][/QUOTE]

A large number of the old 60GB suffer from motherboard issues, and even if you fix it, it'll likely come back. Whatever solution you come up with, you will likely need to do it again...until you can find money for another.

The BD drive is acting up .
It'll only play like 15-20 min of a movie and games are a little better but they screw up when loading.

[quote name='Richlough']The BD drive is acting up .
It'll only play like 15-20 min of a movie and games are a little better but they screw up when loading.[/QUOTE]

That's a pretty simple fix, but the laser will run you $80~ or so as above if you need to replace it.

I say pay to have it fixed, you can get Sony to reduce the fee by 50% just by asking.

And once they fix the 60GB, it will never break again because they really do a quality fix and tons of Testing to make sure everything is 100%.

Plus you get like additional warranty coverage.

Or if its out of Warranty just buy a Warranty from Sony an extra year is like $50 bucks

And if its a Full BC launch 60 unit, they will send you back your own system or a fully refurbished factory one good as new.

go to target buy a card were the PS3 are and call the # on it and ship it out then 3-4 weeks past you will the same system or a GC from and get a NEW one

[quote name='starmask2k3']go to target buy a card were the PS3 are and call the # on it and ship it out then 3-4 weeks past you will the same system or a GC from and get a NEW one[/QUOTE]

lolwut

[quote name='starmask2k3']go to target buy a card were the PS3 are and call the # on it and ship it out then 3-4 weeks past you will the same system or a GC from and get a NEW one[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry what?

[quote name='Master Ninja']I say pay to have it fixed, you can get Sony to reduce the fee by 50% just by asking.

And once they fix the 60GB, it will never break again because they really do a quality fix and tons of Testing to make sure everything is 100%.

Or if its out of Warranty just buy a Warranty from Sony an extra year is like $50 bucks

And if its a Full BC launch 60 unit, they will send you back your own system or a fully refurbished factory one good as new.[/QUOTE]

Check official Playstation forums. Most people are receiving refurbs as replacements and some people are now even getting 80 gb refurbs. Lots of anger on that forum about this 60 gb issue...

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Check official Playstation forums. Most people are receiving refurbs as replacements and some people are now even getting 80 gb refurbs. Lots of anger on that forum about this 60 gb issue...[/QUOTE]
Man, I'd be raising all sorts of hell if that happened to me. What are people doing about it? Anything?

[quote name='Master Ninja']I say pay to have it fixed, you can get Sony to reduce the fee by 50% just by asking.

And if its a Full BC launch 60 unit, they will send you back your own system or a fully refurbished factory one good as new.[/QUOTE]
:lol:

Do you even own a PS3? You've posted on here several times about how you're thinking of buying one.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Check official Playstation forums. Most people are receiving refurbs as replacements and some people are now even getting 80 gb refurbs. Lots of anger on that forum about this 60 gb issue...[/QUOTE]

Okay, now I'm curious. Do you have a link? I believe you, but I want to read what must be a thread filled with anger and hate.

I was worried this would happen the minute they stopped production on the 20/60GB models.

can you post a link to the thread, because I can see the appeal of owning a Full BC 60 Model. Thats why the person paid $600 for it.

It is my property I legally own it period.

If I send my unit in to be fixed, I would simply not accept a 80GB refurbished unit.

Its like taking my V8 Mustang to a Mechanic to be fixed, and he give me back a V6 Mustang and says my car is fixed.

I mean just wow. It seems like everyone and their grandma sue Microsoft. Someone needs to sue SONY.

Who is letting them get away with this.?

[quote name='Master Ninja']can you post a link to the thread, because I can see the appeal of owning a Full BC 60 Model. Thats why the person paid $600 for it.

It is my property I legally own it period.

If I send my unit in to be fixed, I would simply not accept a 80GB refurbished unit.

Its like taking my V8 Mustang to a Mechanic to be fixed, and he give me back a V6 Mustang and says my car is fixed.

I mean just wow. It seems like everyone and their grandma sue Microsoft. Someone needs to sue SONY.

Who is letting them get away with this.?[/QUOTE]

According to Sony's 'Service Policy, well....check out the highlighted section :roll::roll::whistle2:#:

Service policy

You understand and acknowledge that any time SCEA services your PS3™ system (either within the Warranty Period or under a separate service arrangement), it may become necessary for SCEA to provide certain services to your PS3™ system to ensure it is functioning properly in accordance with SCEA guidelines. Such services may include the installation of the latest software or firmware updates, or service or replacement of the PS3™ hard disk or the PS3™ system with a new or refurbished product. You acknowledge and agree that some services may change your current settings, cause a removal of cosmetic stickers or system skins, cause a loss of data or content, or cause some loss of functionality. You should back up your hard disk regularly to prevent loss or alteration of data, although some content cannot be backed up and must be reinstalled by the user. You should also remove any peripherals, non-PS3™ system components, and any content that you consider proprietary, private, or confidential before you send in your PS3™ system for service. SCEA shall not be liable for damages resulting from your failure to comply with the foregoing, or any instructions provided to you by SCEA. SCEA reserves the right to refuse service or void the warranty of any PS3™ system that has been modified or tampered with.

In other words, if they so desire and are out of 20 and 60 gb models to replace yours with, you may receive another PS3 model with some BC.

Loss of functionality???? wow.....I had my 60GB repaired by Sony - I guess looking back, I was lucky to get the same one in return.

[quote name='Richlough']There are a ton of helpful videos on youtube and articles to help me.

[yeah, I said 'you people'][/QUOTE]

I just replaced a Blu ray laser on my nephew's 80 gb with BC. Easy fix just be careful with ribbon cables. The small 2 wire plug on the side of the blu ray drive is very fragile. You only have to take the top of the drive off to get to the screws that split the drive in half (less stuff to screw up or lose). Remove the metal pole that slids thru the lens casing and the other side snaps off (again less stuff to mess up).

I've seen on ebay lenses going for as little as 50 bucks but thats up to you to take a chance on.

mykee98: are there specific lasers that work with a particular PS3 model? I have a 40GB/Spider Man bundle one and I've started to get the "80010514" error.

[quote name='mykee98']I just replaced a Blu ray laser on my nephew's 80 gb with BC. Easy fix just be careful with ribbon cables. The small 2 wire plug on the side of the blu ray drive is very fragile. You only have to take the top of the drive off to get to the screws that split the drive in half (less stuff to screw up or lose). Remove the metal pole that slids thru the lens casing and the other side snaps off (again less stuff to mess up).

I've seen on ebay lenses going for as little as 50 bucks but thats up to you to take a chance on.[/QUOTE]

ya that chart is what I used. Its not a hard process but I can see how things can get screwed real easy. The inside of the drive has some moving parts and can get moved out of place easily (the white parts control the disc being inserted).
Youtube has some videos that you can watch showing what to do. Good luck to anyone fixing their ps3.

My launch 60GB PS3 acted up (green wireless LED stayed on even when unit was off and would not connect to the internet both wired and wirelessly) a little before my warranty expired (mid 07). I sent it in and got a refurb... so far it has worked with no problems since then.

Good luck on repairing it yourself, though!

I'm on an 80GB (BC) PS3, and praying that it never breaks like my 360 has (countless times).

But I just thought I would mention: if any of you guys are going to go through with self-repairs, please find a way to document a walkthrough and upload it to youtube. If anybody here has ever been put into the uncomfortable position of dissecting expensive electronics, then you'll know how helpful it is, finding material like that. And the more the merrier.

Best of luck to anyone attempting these fixes.

[quote name='Alastor']Awesome! Thanks for the info! Now, hopefully I don't mess my PS3 up :D[/QUOTE]

Finally got to order the laser for my 40GB. Replacing it and getting it to work properly took about 2 hrs. The installation itself isn't too bad (about 20 minutes), but I didn't know how to align the blue-ray drive/loader properly, which was causing my discs not to eject and the laser to not load anything :bomb: After about 1 and 1/2 hrs of troubleshooting, I got everything to work and I'm about to play some Uncharted 2 :D

[quote name='Alastor']Finally got to order the laser for my 40GB. Replacing it and getting it to work properly took about 2 hrs. The installation itself isn't too bad (about 20 minutes), but I didn't know how to align the blue-ray drive/loader properly, which was causing my discs not to eject and the laser to not load anything :bomb: After about 1 and 1/2 hrs of troubleshooting, I got everything to work and I'm about to play some Uncharted 2 :D[/QUOTE]

Congrats!:D

its not a bad fix, but what i will tell you, they don't make the laser for the 60gb anymore, it was probably a flawed design, the 80gb has two eyes(one blue, one red laser), the 60gb only had one eye, i repaired mine 6 months back, it broke again, i said enough, got rid of it, and got a slim, will hook up my ps2 slim now......

i wouldn't trust fixing the 60gb laser, they will fail again, it just isn't worth it, plus to get it fixed the first time, i had to go through 3 lasers just to find a good one

[quote name='comic0guy']its not a bad fix, but what i will tell you, they don't make the laser for the 60gb anymore, it was probably a flawed design, the 80gb has two eyes(one blue, one red laser), the 60gb only had one eye, i repaired mine 6 months back, it broke again, i said enough, got rid of it, and got a slim, will hook up my ps2 slim now......

i wouldn't trust fixing the 60gb laser, they will fail again, it just isn't worth it, plus to get it fixed the first time, i had to go through 3 lasers just to find a good one[/QUOTE]

So I would have to replace the whole drive ?

The PS3 that was sent to me after I requested a repair, was a 60gb model, however that model had YLOD problem.... sooooo, I'm waiting to see what model they're going to send to me now. hey I've been waiting since 9/28/09 to get things right w/ this PS3 situation, I think Sony owes me a free game... should I just call customer service and complain? and how should I bring up the topic of the free game?

[quote name='m_d_amore']you q tip the laser?[/QUOTE]

It looked clean and I didn't feel like putting it back together to try it .
There is a common problem with the diodes burning out it and it plays DVD's and PS2 games perfectly .

Well I'm about to try replacing the laser myself on a CECHE01 model (80 GB w/ BC) because I've been getting the 80010514 error and it specifically won't play PS3 games. I hate that I have to do this because Sony and a store I know are charging way too much.

[quote name='Hostile']Well I'm about to try replacing the laser myself on a CECHE01 model (80 GB w/ BC) because I've been getting the 80010514 error and it specifically won't play PS3 games. I hate that I have to do this because Sony and a store I know are charging way too much.[/QUOTE]

Let me [us] know how it goes .
I still have my 60 GB, I just need to order a laser/deck .

If I don't post again it's because I died of an anxiety attack. I meant to say I'm on the verge of ordering the laser online so hopefully it'll get here by the end of this week.

What do can I do about this stupid flashing red light on my ps3? The fan doesn't turn on anymore and I can't even get my game out of the blu-ray drive. No picture or sound, just a flashing red light. I am about to get a slim if i can't figure out what is wrong. When my ps2 broke sony couldn't fix it so I don't really want to send it to them again to butcher. It was kind of funny because it was caked in dust after I got it back from them, but I sold it to gamestop when it was broke for 100 dollars credit cause the picture actually came on but it wouldn't play any games at all lol.

bread's done
Back