Broken Phat vs New Slim

vinht426

CAGiversary!
Hey guys, I need opinions on what to do. My launch 60gb ps3 failed on me big time. At first the laser burnt out so I had to take it in for repairs and that cost me about 100 bucks. A few months later, laser died again, but this time.. the stupid disc tray motor burnt out. Having really bad luck on my side, I keep the system in good condition, off the carpet, lying on its side and barely playing that much on it. So my question to you guys, should I keep repairing this old monolith of mine for the sake that its a pretty rare system... or sell it for 200 bucks and drop another 100 for a SLIM? Speaking of which, I have a $75 gift card from amazon... Are the slims better than the old fat ones? even without backwards compatibility, its ok because I have a modded ps2, so not too worried about that. I just feel like I am going to miss my old ps3 a lot if I sell it away.. :cry:

I think Sony offers an upgrade program, where if your 20GB/60GB dies, you can pay like $150 and trade in your old one for a new slim.

If you're having that much trouble with an old one, I'd get a new one. The Slim is very nice, outside of the fact that it's not BC like your current console is.

are you saying that i cant sell it for 200? I put it up on Craigslist and got offers so I know I can get 200 easily, I am just debating with myself about selling it :(

I have the exact same problem with my backwards compatible 80GB PS3. The laser is toast and I could fix it for $60, but why do that when the it will just burn out again within a year or so. If I knew for a fact the PS3 slim lasers were better quality, I wouldn't think twice about selling my old one and upgrade to a slim. I would go for it since it is going to cost you at least another $60 to fix your broken one. For $100 you will get a brand new system with another warranty.

[quote name='vinht426']are you saying that i cant sell it for 200? I put it up on Craigslist and got offers so I know I can get 200 easily, I am just debating with myself about selling it :([/QUOTE]

[quote name='Rasen']I'm just surprised people are willing to shell out $200 for broken machines, is all.[/QUOTE]

The full BC PS3s (the original 20GB/60GB models) are very highly sought after. Since the only damage is the optical drive motor and laser, it should still be worth quite a bit of money since those two are easy fixes.

[quote name='Bretts31344']I have the exact same problem with my backwards compatible 80GB PS3. The laser is toast and I could fix it for $60, but why do that when the it will just burn out again within a year or so. If I knew for a fact the PS3 slim lasers were better quality, I wouldn't think twice about selling my old one and upgrade to a slim. I would go for it since it is going to cost you at least another $60 to fix your broken one. For $100 you will get a brand new system with another warranty.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the laser issue is very widespread. I've had my 80GB (guessing it's the same one as yours, the MGS4 bundle) since day one and haven't had any issues with it, outside of it freezing and needing a hard re-boot a few times.

I've shelled out a lot of money on repairing this old fat thing.. 2 lasers and 1 IC chip and now I need a new disc tray.. I've just kept repairing it because I felt like it was such awesome looking piece of hardware that I probably couldn't get anywhere else anymore.. but sadly it looks like I am going to have to sell it. Does anyone else have more information about that sony uptrade program where I can trade it for a slim through sony?

Just give them a call and ask them about it. They'll probably explain it better than anyone. You must consider if you can miss out on the BC, the Linux capable, and the memory cards reader. Other than that I haven't heard much problem coming from the slim.

Sigh.. I knew about losing BC but I didnt know I would lose out on the memory card reader.. might need seem like a big deal to a lot of people but I love the fact that I can take my memory card out of my camera and use the ps3 as a slideshow viewer.. :( but thanks for all the help guys! Im going to call Sony later today when I am out of my classes

[quote name='vinht426']Sigh.. I knew about losing BC but I didnt know I would lose out on the memory card reader.. might need seem like a big deal to a lot of people but I love the fact that I can take my memory card out of my camera and use the ps3 as a slideshow viewer.. :( but thanks for all the help guys! Im going to call Sony later today when I am out of my classes[/QUOTE]

At CES in January, one of the accessory manufacturers showed a blu ray remote/memory card reader/usb hub attachment for the PS3 slim with a MSRP of $20, so if you're worried about loosing memory card readers, there is hope.

Hey guys, so I found a buyer and my ps3 is getting picked up this friday.. the deal was to keep the psn games I have downloaded on the hard drive so formatting isnt an option. But can someone tell me how do i completely remove all my other information such as my psn log in and password and other personal information? I want to be very thorough because I am very paranoid about identity theft. Also, whats the best way to back up my psn downloads and game saves?

If I do a utility format how long does it take and would it remove all personal information thats on the system? thanks so much for the help guys!

Go into account management under network and deactivate all of your accounts. Clear the predictive text dictionary and then do a full format. The games will be erased, but since you are taking the accounts off, the games will be unable to be played regardless. Remember to back-up your saves before formatting.

Just my 2cents, but why don't you call up Sony and tell them to fix the console for you? It costs $150 and personally I would choose my 60GB over a Slim anyday.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do leave the games on it make sure you deactivate the video, the games can be shared but the video can only be active on one machine.

[quote name='vinht426']If I do a utility format how long does it take and would it remove all personal information thats on the system? thanks so much for the help guys![/QUOTE]

You can safely leave your PSN games as long as you erase the password of the PSN user. To do this, login to the PS3 as the user(s) that own the game. Go into the PSN section and log out. The Account Manager will change to Sign In. Press it again and it will display the current login id and the password (as asterisks) just uncheck the 'Save Password' and 'Autologin (or something' and you should be good to go.

The saves can be copied to a USB stick without further problems as well. If you want you might delete them, but there's nothing risky about letting them there

This is from experience, I've already sold two different PS3 with PSN games installed without and keep using my main account without any problems whatsoever. Just make sure that the PSN password is deleted from the system

Not to hijack this thread, but I can't find a link for the "trade in broken PS3, pay a smaller amount for a slim through Sony" link, Sony's website or otherwise. My buddy's system died, and I've been trying to find that link for him.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']Not to hijack this thread, but I can't find a link for the "trade in broken PS3, pay a smaller amount for a slim through Sony" link, Sony's website or otherwise. My buddy's system died, and I've been trying to find that link for him.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Brownjohn']At CES in January, one of the accessory manufacturers showed a blu ray remote/memory card reader/usb hub attachment for the PS3 slim with a MSRP of $20, so if you're worried about loosing memory card readers, there is hope.[/QUOTE]

Im interested in this anymore info...sorry for hijack

bread's done
Back