Broken x-box?

DV8

CAGiversary!
My co-workers son has an x-box that plays his older games, but when she got him doom 3 and timesplitters FP, the game freezes in certain points. But it does play the older games like halo 2 without problems. Is it the x-box, and if so does EB or GS repair systems and for how much? Or could anyone reccomend a disk cleaner. Thanks

[quote name='DV8']My co-workers son has an x-box that plays his older games, but when she got him doom 3 and timesplitters FP, the game freezes in certain points. But it does play the older games like halo 2 without problems. Is it the x-box, and if so does EB or GS repair systems and for how much? Or could anyone reccomend a disk cleaner. Thanks[/QUOTE]

It sounds like it is probably a Thompson drive problem. Some Thompson drives have a hard time reading the newer games. EB & GS do not repair systems, but you could probably trade that one in and get another system with a better drive for pretty cheap.

[quote name='shipwreck']It sounds like it is probably a Thompson drive problem. Some Thompson drives have a hard time reading the newer games. EB & GS do not repair systems, but you could probably trade that one in and get another system with a better drive for pretty cheap.[/QUOTE]

Well I hope she saved her receipt. Anything else she can do other than trade it in?

[quote name='DV8']Well I hope she saved her receipt. Anything else she can do other than trade it in?[/QUOTE]

Only buy older games? :)

There's really not much you can do with a Thompson drive other than put a new drive in it on your own or pay a local electronic repair shop to do it for you. Either way, it's going to be just about as expensive as just trading in the Xbox you have now and buying another used Xbox.

well shite, she's not gonna be happy, but I told her to just wait for the XB360. Thanks for the quick replies everyone.

Well I know there's a snowballs chance in hell she'll try anything, so I'll try the lens cleaner if the drive type is thompson.

My brother's xbox was fixed by getting the lens cleaned at GameCrazy (he gets 3 free system cleanings a year with his membership). Not sure what drive he has.

bread's done
Back