Bronze DSI XL $99.97, Blue DSi $79.97 at Radio Shack. YMMV?

I went to another shack to see if I could get one for my brother's kid. No dsi xl, but they did have the blue dsi for 79.97. It actually had a sign in front of it saying $99.97, but I asked the guy to check the price and it came up $79.97.

Interesting price, and to think for only $70 more you can get a metallic rose (btw Nintendo, we call that pink the world over). I still don't get why they are releasing a new color of their older platform at the same price as the new one. Yeah it's a bigger screen, but for the same price you can get a 3DS, which seems like a no-brainer to me.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Interesting price, and to think for only $70 more you can get a metallic rose (btw Nintendo, we call that pink the world over). I still don't get why they are releasing a new color of their older platform at the same price as the new one. Yeah it's a bigger screen, but for the same price you can get a 3DS, which seems like a no-brainer to me.[/QUOTE]

simple cause the 3ds sucks. the images are a lot smaller on the 3ds then on the dsixl and look a hell of lot more pixleled (at least to me)

my dsi xl is about shot and thinking of buying one day after thanksgiving.. i know i will never pick up a 3ds (unless they fall to 80 or less )

i cant stand the 3d look..played one at target and hated it

[quote name='slidecage']
i cant stand the 3d look..played one at target and hated it[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if I will ever get one either, but I wouldn't let the target demo be your only deciding factor. Most likely the screen was in bad shape, and from what I hear you need to take a little time to adjust your viewing angle and distance, which is hard to do at a fixed display. And certain games use 3d better than others.

i think another popular misconception is the 3D slider doesn't have to be at max to enjoy the 3D effect.

it's not for everyone but it's accessible to anyone.

im with the other people that say this is what it should cost. Its friggin absurd that a XL costs the same as a 3DS =P

For me im in no rush to get the 3DS. I think they are going to have a model redesign sooner rather than later. A lot of people were bitching about the pathetic battery life, and i think i saw some pics of a model in Japan with 2 thumbsticks or something o_O

you're paying for a much larger screens, it's only the same price as the 3DS because of the recent price drop. the DS XL larger screen doesn't make the graphics any prettier it's more pixelated.

...if and when the 3DS comes out with 2 thumbsticks ppl will just complain it's too pricey.

[quote name='Kenshindono']im with the other people that say this is what it should cost. Its friggin absurd that a XL costs the same as a 3DS =P

For me im in no rush to get the 3DS. I think they are going to have a model redesign sooner rather than later. A lot of people were bitching about the pathetic battery life, and i think i saw some pics of a model in Japan with 2 thumbsticks or something o_O[/QUOTE]

Thats a add on. As far as xl cost vs 3DS cost... I can see a point made for them being the same price. There are plenty of people who rather have a larger screen and will wait the 3DS out.

Honestly, I'd rather buy another DSi XL than a 3DS. While it is a bit dumb for them to price them the same, you get a better experience with DS games on a DSi XL, and there aren't many great 3DS games (that aren't remakes/ports) released yet.

ppl love ports and HD versions of retro titles, look how excited ppl get when an old game comes out for PSN or XBLA?

[quote name='slidecage']simple cause the 3ds sucks. the images are a lot smaller on the 3ds then on the dsixl and look a hell of lot more pixleled (at least to me)

my dsi xl is about shot and thinking of buying one day after thanksgiving.. i know i will never pick up a 3ds (unless they fall to 80 or less )

i cant stand the 3d look..played one at target and hated it[/QUOTE]

Um I think you completely missing the point of my post.

Nintendo JUST announced they are releasing a pink DSiXL. Why would anyone pay $170 for a system that is outdated when they can get the newer one for $170? The price point for the DSiXL is too high. I am not saying the 3DS is better then the DSiXL. I am saying the DSiXL needs to be lower in price.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Um I think you completely missing the point of my post.

Nintendo JUST announced they are releasing a pink DSiXL. Why would anyone pay $170 for a system that is outdated when they can get the newer one for $170? The price point for the DSiXL is too high. I am not saying the 3DS is better then the DSiXL. I am saying the DSiXL needs to be lower in price.[/QUOTE]

^^^
this.

With stuff like the ds lite, it has a different function. It plays GBA games. The Dsi XL doesn't really do anything that the 3DS does, other than have a larger more pixelated screen. Some games actually look pretty bad from what i've seen. Its just silly to have an older, outdated, inferior model at the same price as a newer current gen one

Now if the XL played GBA games, or did ANYTHING the 3ds doesn't do, or had a single benefit then maybe it would make a bit of sense. But it doesn't. Its single 'advantage', the bigger screen, is also a disadvantage because games werent meant to be that big for the system and it really shows in the graphics.

Anyway, i saw someone mention a DSi for about 75 bucks. For that price i may get one, i'll have to check my local one. I already have 2 Xl's and 2 DSlites >_< no DSi's though.

I'm kinda shocked that we are not all professors of business here, but let me take a stab at it.
They need the DS to die out eventually, while still selling a ton of software. Making the 3DS look attractive next to an XL is an easy way to do that.

The old DS models will still be huge for christmas, but suddenly parents are going to see that they could buy their kid the newer tech with a brand new Mario and Mario Kart game for a similar price.

Both models will sell boatloads this year, but my guess is the Dsi and XL will outsell the 3DS. Still, free money is free money, especially when you are selling a 2004 product. As soon as Pokemon Grey is announced, there won't be many old DS selling.

Have any of you who are crying about pixellated graphics on the xl ever played a ds game on the 3DS? The XL is much, much better. I have a 3DS. You either play the game normally, which results in washed out colors and crappy resolution or you make the 3DS run the games in their native resolution and you get to look at a postage stamp sized picture. You can certainly get by with just a 3DS, but honestly, the games look better on DSI or DSI XL.

XL is the BEST way to play DS games. More pixelated? No way. Same res as other systems, and super crisp visuals. They look awful on 3DS at the upscaled res.
Nintendo is trying to kill the system though, that's why they didn't drop the price so 3DS has a chance to eat its sales.
The new color is odd but they likely had them manufactured already.

[quote name='dallow']XL is the BEST way to play DS games. More pixelated? No way. Same res as other systems, and super crisp visuals. They look awful on 3DS at the upscaled res.
[/QUOTE]

This. I gave the 3DS a shot but after playing regular DS games on it I just couldn't justify keeping the system. Yeah, it would be nice to play Ocarina of Time but I'm not going to keep it just for one game. Until they revise the system and have a better library of games, I'll stick with my DSi XL.

Sounds like a great price for the dsi xl. I got the regular dsi for $75 when blockbuster video's clearance sale was going on during the summer and i've been happy w/ the dsi.

I use my dsi more than i do my hp touchpad and have no need for crap 3d and terrible battery life on the 3ds.

The ds is dead? Not to me!

I'm still waiting for a DSi/3DS that has TV out as an option like the PSP. It would be awesome if you connect it wireless to an HDTV.

The dual screens would be on the TV, while using the DSi/3DS as a touchscreen controller.

I have a feeling it will never happen, maybe a DS player on the Wii U is more likely to happen. Similar to the Gameboy player that was released on the Gamecube.

On topic, I'd like a DSiXL when my DS Lite kicks the bucket or had the money to spare. Until then, I'll have to settle with my DS.

[quote name='dallow']XL is the BEST way to play DS games. More pixelated? No way. Same res as other systems, and super crisp visuals. They look awful on 3DS at the upscaled res.
Nintendo is trying to kill the system though, that's why they didn't drop the price so 3DS has a chance to eat its sales.
The new color is odd but they likely had them manufactured already.[/QUOTE]

DSi-XL = same resolution as other DS systems, but much larger screen. Thus, it DOES look much more pixellated. I was actually kind of excited when they announced the DSi-XL, thought I might pick one up, but when I saw how pixellated the games looked, I passed. These games are running on the same resolution, but on a larger screen; pixellation is inevitable. The games just don't look that good when run on the larger screen, but they weren't meant to.

Having said that, I totally agree with you that DS games on the 3DS look terrible. If you upscale them to a larger size, they don't look good; if you run them at native resolution, the games look tiny. The 3DS is just not well equipped to run DS games and make them look good. Anyone thinking they can sell their old DSi, DSLite, or DSiXL, and have the 3DS run all their DS games, is making a big mistake. The answer is, don't get rid of your old DS systems, because DS games look like crap on the 3DS.

I have a DS Lite, a DSi, a DSi XL and a 3DS, and no question games on the XL look much more pixellated than any other system, and as has been mentioned earlier it's because the pixels are so much bigger. Definitely hard to go from using an iPhone 4 to using a DSi XL.

[quote name='sneezebu']I'm kinda shocked that we are not all professors of business here, but let me take a stab at it.
They need the DS to die out eventually, while still selling a ton of software. Making the 3DS look attractive next to an XL is an easy way to do that.

The old DS models will still be huge for christmas, but suddenly parents are going to see that they could buy their kid the newer tech with a brand new Mario and Mario Kart game for a similar price.

Both models will sell boatloads this year, but my guess is the Dsi and XL will outsell the 3DS. Still, free money is free money, especially when you are selling a 2004 product. As soon as Pokemon Grey is announced, there won't be many old DS selling.[/QUOTE]
DS systems will sell to they take them off the market, pokemon doesn't move every DS system and most people, contrary to belief don't give a shit about the 3DS like me, ill buy a 3DS in 2-3 years when they have a $99 model and some actual games.

as for the XL, ill check out my local RS tomorrow, it would be a great upgrade from my lite and to people crying pixelated on XL you are smoking crack, i have played tons of games on the XL and none look pixelated

The new color is odd but they likely had them manufactured already.[/QUOTE]

Your either high or blind. Yes, its the same resolution, the problem is the screen is much bigger, which shows all the flaws and problems with the systems weak graphics. On a lite or something things look fine because theyre small, but blow it up on an XL and things look all blocky and pixely. Pretty much every game i played it was imediatly noticable. This is a fact, not really opinion. Same low resolution + Bigger screen = flaws magnified

*edit* looks like chimpmeister kinda covered this already. What he said is right.

to those talking about the 3ds playing DS games.. i cant comment on that, because im not silly enough to buy a 3DS yet. Maybe if theyre about 120 bucks. But most likely i will wait for a hardware re-design. System just seems like a big flop to me honestly. I thought the DS lite played GBA games just fine. You had a small boarder on the edges but it wasn't huge or anything. Are you guys saying that 3ds shrinks the screen down even more than the Lite did with GBA games?

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']I'm still waiting for a DSi/3DS that has TV out as an option like the PSP. It would be awesome if you connect it wireless to an HDTV.

The dual screens would be on the TV, while using the DSi/3DS as a touchscreen controller.
I have a feeling it will never happen, maybe a DS player on the Wii U is more likely to happen. Similar to the Gameboy player that was released on the Gamecube.
.[/QUOTE]

good god no.. dunno about the 3ds but the DS's resolution blown up on a TV screen would be HORRID

*EDIT*

btw do radio shacks ahve any colors other than blue? Id like a DSi maybe but not that lame pastel blue color

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Um I think you completely missing the point of my post.

Nintendo JUST announced they are releasing a pink DSiXL. Why would anyone pay $170 for a system that is outdated when they can get the newer one for $170? The price point for the DSiXL is too high. I am not saying the 3DS is better then the DSiXL. I am saying the DSiXL needs to be lower in price.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo shot themselves in the face, they've released too many damn system revisions with no drastic improvement over the previous design. They have over saturated the market. Sad thing is the 3DS is a completely new system but most people are just over looking it like it's another DS update and on top of that it didn't help that Nintendo had a horrible release for the system and even to this date there aren't any must have games. Unless they come out with a Pokemon 3DS game I don't see it flying off the shelves any time soon.

[quote name='chimpmeister']DSi-XL = same resolution as other DS systems, but much larger screen. Thus, it DOES look much more pixellated. I was actually kind of excited when they announced the DSi-XL, thought I might pick one up, but when I saw how pixellated the games looked, I passed. These games are running on the same resolution, but on a larger screen; pixellation is inevitable. The games just don't look that good when run on the larger screen, but they weren't meant to.[/QUOTE]

That's like saying a 60 inch TV's picture looks worse than a 24 inch TV with the same specs (i.e. HD content). Who cares if the pixels are larger? That just means you can see it better and/or hold it farther from your face while playing.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='eastx']That's like saying a 60 inch TV's picture looks worse than a 24 inch TV with the same specs. Who cares if the pixels are larger? That just means you can see it better and/or hold it farther from your face while playing.[/QUOTE]

That's how I feel. It's all preference really. When I play my DS lite, the handheld is closer to my face. When I play my DSi XL, I can enjoy it farther away. At least they didn't use any upscaling or filters, if they did that then there would be a lot more to complain about. From my entire time owning a DSi XL I've never thought the quality was worse (pixelation or otherwise). It just has bigger screens, and I think the size is good enough that any "flaws" aren't very noticeable to me. You aren't going to be extremely close to a 60 inch TV while you're watching it, the same applies here.

I think the viewing angle on the newer DS lites is actually worse than the screens on the DSi XL. Whenever I tilt my head, I can notice a serious difference in contrast, which I don't remember happening on the first gen DS lite I had. IMO that's MUCH worse than any problems of pixelation I've heard of with the DSi XL.

[quote name='eastx']That's like saying a 60 inch TV's picture looks worse than a 24 inch TV with the same specs. Who cares if the pixels are larger? That just means you can see it better and/or hold it farther from your face while playing.[/QUOTE]

Umm a 60 inch tv DOES look far worse than a 24" tv if you are playing the same resolution un upscaled. Try playing a 480i video on a 24" tv, then try running it to a 60" tv without any processing effects. It will be a huge difference. Theres a reason you cant output DS video to a TV. It would look horrid

So is there an in store invertory checker for this dsi xl by chance? I typed it in on radio shacks website but it wasn't available.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']I'm still waiting for a DSi/3DS that has TV out as an option like the PSP. It would be awesome if you connect it wireless to an HDTV.

On topic, I'd like a DSiXL when my DS Lite kicks the bucket or had the money to spare. Until then, I'll have to settle with my DS.[/QUOTE]

DSi with tv out is probably never going to happen. I could definitely see a ds player released for WiiU though. It would be amazing.

[quote name='ChuckyDJ']So is there an in store invertory checker for this dsi xl by chance? I typed it in on radio shacks website but it wasn't available.[/QUOTE]

Wow, one comment that's actually related to the topic. Thank you.

From my experience, these versions of the DS are not carried by most stores. I visited two yesterday, and they both told me that it's only carried online. Of course the price online is MSRP...so this whole thing is a very big YMMV.

[quote name='Kenshindono']Umm a 60 inch tv DOES look far worse than a 24" tv if you are playing the same resolution un upscaled. Try playing a 480i video on a 24" tv, then try running it to a 60" tv without any processing effects. It will be a huge difference. Theres a reason you cant output DS video to a TV. It would look horrid[/QUOTE]

I said with the same specs - i.e. 720 P on both TVs. Unless you stretch the resolution past its 'breaking point,' a larger image tends to look better than a smaller one, even without increasing the detail. But a more proper comparison would include two TVs with a similar size ratio to DSi and DSi XL - I dunno, 48 inches to 60.

Yesterday I called 4 Radioshacks around me.

One had 1 DSi XL in stock for $99 and one had DS Lite for $75.

I ran over and picked up the DSi XL and I LOVE IT playing DS games on big screen is a much BETTER experience. I hardly notice the pixelation people keep writing about.

It's definitely a company-wide fire sale the sales rep at the store said they were put on sale at these prices 1-2 days before.

Nice find guys!

I have owned 3 of the 4 models of DS. The DSi XL, in my opinion, is the best. Great for games with a lot of text, easy to read, great battery life, and best color (Bronze!).

I have played plenty of games on it and the "it's going to look worse argument" is pretty much dumb. They are DS GAMES. If they are 3D polygonal, they already look pixelated!

Anyone claiming an issue of the screen looking worse is just blowing smoke or an excuse why they don't have one. I love mine... and I am a self proclaimed graphics whore ($440 worth of GFX Cards in the PC I'm posting with right now... :D )

[quote name='The Punisher']what is the best DS out of these: DS Lite, DSi, and DS XL?[/QUOTE]

Lite plays GBA games, DSi has access to the online store with the same system profile as a DS Lite (teeny tiny bit bigger) and the XL is much larger than either, which is great if you have big hands and like to play games that have a lot of text (easier to read).

It's really preference. I think battery life is DS Lite > DSi XL > DSi.

[quote name='TheKbob']Lite plays GBA games, DSi has access to the online store with the same system profile as a DS Lite (teeny tiny bit bigger) and the XL is much larger than either, which is great if you have big hands and like to play games that have a lot of text (easier to read).

It's really preference. I think battery life is DS Lite > DSi XL > DSi.[/QUOTE]

I'd also say the DS Lites are most worth their price tag right now. Even GS is selling them used for $80. Personally, I've loved my brother's DS Lite, GBA compatibility was a bigger thing back then though. Either way, get a Lite or a DSiXL, don't bother with DSivanilla.

[quote name='The Punisher']what is the best DS out of these: DS Lite, DSi, and DS XL?[/QUOTE]

There is no best in my opinion. It depends what you're looking for. They each have pros and cons

DS lite:

Pros: has GBA slot, longer battery life
Cons: No DSi ware, no built-in browser, no SD storage, or onboard storage, may have hardware issues (hinge, etc..)

DSi:

Pros: has dsi ware, camera, built-in web browser, one extra brightness setting, better display
cons: no GBA slot

DSi XL:

Pros: It's pretty large, good battery life, same as Dsi otherwise
Cons: It's pretty large. Some games may look pixelated. No GBA slot

Some of that might not be accurate, and it's certainly not all-encompassing. I just think it depends on what you want. If you want t play GBA games get a DS lite. If you want a big DS get an XL.

[quote name='ssjmichael']There is no best in my opinion. It depends what you're looking for. They each have pros and cons

DS lite:

Pros: has GBA slot, longer battery life
Cons: No DSi ware, no built-in browser, no SD storage, or onboard storage, may have hardware issues (hinge, etc..)

DSi:

Pros: has dsi ware, camera, built-in web browser, one extra brightness setting, better display
cons: no GBA slot

DSi XL:

Pros: It's pretty large, good battery life, same as Dsi otherwise
Cons: It's pretty large. Some games may look pixelated. No GBA slot

Some of that might not be accurate, and it's certainly not all-encompassing. I just think it depends on what you want. If you want t play GBA games get a DS lite. If you want a big DS get an XL.[/QUOTE]
Thanks.
Not sure if anyone was interested, but here is a link for a case. Not sure if it can fit a DSi?

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Nint...MG8Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315773457&sr=8-1

Dang . . . my closest store (5 mins away) has an XL.

One that is over 1/2 hour away has a black DSi . . . its not far from work, so I could get it tomorrow.

But, now having to decide on which to get . . .

[quote name='schultzed']Dang . . . my closest store (5 mins away) has an XL.

One that is over 1/2 hour away has a black DSi . . . its not far from work, so I could get it tomorrow.

But, now having to decide on which to get . . .[/QUOTE]

XL ftw.

bread's done
Back