Brothers PS3 Stolen... what should/can we do?

Snake2715

CAGiversary!
Feedback
61 (100%)
So a few days ago my brother came home to a missing PS3. Games, controllers, power cord, HDMI cable, etc.

I am fairly certain it was someone thats been in his house prior, and they came for only that. The other valuables he had out seemed to all be left untouched.

His user name has not logged in since the incident, but he DOES have record of his serial number, etc.

He has contacted the police, but we all know that may not get very far. Its a pretty new system for him maybe 6 months, so he had not used PSN much in terms of purchasing content, so no credit card, etc info is there and nothing is lost.

My questions are what else should he do? I was thinking maybe he should call the local Gamestops and report that serial number, as well as the pawn shops...

Could he contact sony and report that number as stolen, and if so would they be able to at least gimp the system from getting on the network? It would be some satisfaction to know that the new owners are at least limited to playing offline only stuff.

His netflix Blu ray was in the system as well so he has to buy a replacement there.

Any insight, experience, or ideas would be great.

Thanks everyone.

Sadly I don't think there's much Sony can or will do here. I don't think they can block a PS3 from going on to PSN with just a serial number.

I do wish him the best of luck in getting the police to help, and trying to pinpoint some possible suspects based on people he knows.

If your brother has renter's/homeowner's insurance, he should be able to report it to the insurance company. My renter's insurance covers theft, and my PS3 collection is worth around $2000-$3000 based on MSRP. Other than that, you can try calling Sony, just to see what they say. They may not be able to block it from going online, but if its ever sent in for service, they'll have a record that it was stolen.

Call local pawn shops and gamestops, and any other stores that accept used consoles. Also check craigslist for your area. If you have a police report, and a pawn shop or a gamestop has your stolen unit, they are required to turn it over to the police.

If he only stole the PS3, chances are that the person wanted it for his/herself. I would definitely call Sony and try to get them to see if they can track it if it logs online (though I doubt they would be willing to do that).

I'm not too sure...but at this point there is really nothing he could do to get his original PS3 back.
I would take the following steps
-Change PSN id/password
-If credit card stored to account data, then he should keep an eye out for transactions (or even get the bank to replace it)
-Contact Sony customer service, and see what they have to say
-File a police report (I think its necessary for the next step)
-If he has rental insurance, file a claim. My experience was they reimburse 50% of depreciated value. They sometimes ask for proof on bigger items (such as user manual, receipt, etc), but from my own experience it wasn't too much of a hassle when I didn't have any proof. Upon repurchasing another PS3 if he sends a copy of the receipt he will be reimbursed with the other 50%.

Sorry to hear some scumbag stole your brother's PS3, hopefully the PS3 blows up in the scumbag's face.

I read once that they found someone threw the IP address cause they signed on to a stolen Xbox 360. So the cops tracked them down. So if you can report everything and hope he signs on to you're brothers PSN.

Thanks guys I will look into how he logs in on a pc to change his info. Also let him know to call sony customer service.

Well on the bright side, he won't need the Netflix Blu-Ray anymore anyway, it's no longer needed.

[quote name='porieux']Well on the bright side, he won't need the Netflix Blu-Ray anymore anyway, it's no longer needed.[/QUOTE]

He may have meant a movie rented from Netflix, in which case he would have to pay for a replacement.

sounds like the thief is someone close to your brother seeing as they knew what they wanted and where it was. I would casually/secretively check out your bros acquaintances and then just open a can of whup ass if you find the culprit.

update? want to know that they caught the culprit through the serial number.

I heard a story that is how they caught some strong arm robbers because they stole some stuff and registered them online, only to have the cops knock down their door because they can track that stuff.

He contacted a few mods at the first thread and gave over some info.

It doesnt seem to have went back online since it was taken. Most likely traded for drugs and sits in someones place for offline use.

bread's done
Back