Brutal Legend - Out NOW! Free DLC out NOW!!!

Saint Noir

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
I didn't see a thread on this game on the PS3 side. With the game less than a month away and the demo coming soonish (out now for Gamestop preoders, I believe), I figured we needed one.

I hope Tim Schafer and Co pull it off, all the hands on/previews of the game have been great sounding. I was super glad when Activision got the STFU in order for this game to be released worry free.

"Jack Black stars as Eddie Riggs, a roadie who’s sucked into a mythical Age of Rock to fight evil, liberate an army of headbangers from a life of oppression, find love, and discover his life’s purpose. Heavy stuff until one realizes the universe of Brütal Legend has sprung up from the mind of legendary game director Tim Schafer."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrkdLnU5RaY

Anyone going to grab this (or played the demo yet)? I have it preordered with some Amazon credit. Want to know if any other CAGs will be getting it so we can get down on some multiplayer!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='QiG']Was interested until I heard it was based on Jack Black[/QUOTE]

That was my attitude until I played the demo.

Absolutely loved the demo, though I hope the real game's harder.

From what I hear, the tutorial area's supposed to be piss easy, which is the only thing we got.

Anyway, the world is really cool and their use of music is excellent.

That opening riff of "Children of the Grave" when Eddie was going to pick up the axe was fucking epic.

There's an interesting event happening next week on the Brutal Legend site for those wanting to see more of Tim Schafer and his game:
Ormagoden, the Cremator of the Sky, the Destroyer of the Ancient world, the Lord of all things Brütal has demanded that 666 Million humans download the face meltingly awesome Demo of Brütal Legend or he will give “everyone” Swine Flu. While this may seem like a good time to panic, sell all your worldly possessions and run to the hills, fear not. Double Fine will be streaming a LIVE video “Dem-o-Thon” in support of the Demo in hopes that they can meet Ormagoden’s impossible demands and save you sinuses.

Tune in to www.brutallegend.com Thursday, October 1st at 12pm PST for a live broadcast from Double Fine Productions in San Francisco featuring interviews and antics with the Double Fine team as well as Live Q&A’ from our fans atwww.twitter.com/brutallegend, awesome giveaways, a message from Tim’s Swine Flu proofed bunker, Spoilers, Live Axe Lessons, and much more. Also, don’t forget, the Demo goes Live October 1st for everyone on Xbox Live and PSN. Download and play this mind destryoningly epic Demo and help Double Fine productions stave off the wrath of Ormagoden.

Does the demo have Megadeth's Tornado of Souls in it? That was the song that got my Best Friend into Megadeth in the 1st place. :D Will download the demo tonight after a fundraiser I'm going to.

I just left Best Buy and they had to coolest pre-order box for this game. Its a full size album cover. Inside had the cutout so you can store the game in it if you wanted. I'm waiting to play the demo tonight before I decide to buy the game, but if i do will probably get it from here just for the album.

I played the demo, and I enjoyed it a lot, but I think I'm going to cancel my pre-order. I think I'd be happier waiting for it to get on sale.

any notice the sound in the cutscenes being really poor? like muted and only in the center channel or something?

[quote name='orntar']any notice the sound in the cutscenes being really poor? like muted and only in the center channel or something?[/QUOTE]

I actually found it to be this way through most of the demo. The voices were very strong from the center channel but for almost everything else, the sound seemed to be very washed out and sometimes almost muted completely.

I was wondering if it was just me.

Just played the demo. I loved it. I also think this is just what I need in between getting ravaged in Demon's Souls. Sticking with my preorder... loved all the music in the demo too.

As for the type of game, it is an action game with metal music and imagery all throughout. It is bloody and colorful. Really nice visual style and art direction. There are also sections where you play a guitar bit (similar to GH), but these appear to be minimal.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']I actually found it to be this way through most of the demo. The voices were very strong from the center channel but for almost everything else, the sound seemed to be very washed out and sometimes almost muted completely.

I was wondering if it was just me.[/QUOTE]

good, i'm glad its not just me. i wish we could know whether its just the demo or the whole retail game. i got the xbox demo as well, and it sounds perfect.

I actually take back what I said after trying the demo. Game has a ton of personality and I dig the art design. Seems like it's mostly a beat-em-up and if I had to compare to a game, I'd say God of War like. If you're on the fence, definitely give the demo a shot.

okay, i downloaded the demo and give it a try... Well, i'm not totally impressed. It plays like god of war, but you can't jump?!?! It's funny i give you that, but i didn't really think it worth $60.

[quote name='Serpentor']okay, i downloaded the demo and give it a try... Well, i'm not totally impressed. It plays like god of war, but you can't jump?!?! It's funny i give you that, but i didn't really think it worth $60.[/QUOTE]

They're hiding the RTS portion.

[quote name='Serpentor']okay, i downloaded the demo and give it a try... Well, i'm not totally impressed. It plays like god of war, but you can't jump?!?! It's funny i give you that, but i didn't really think it worth $60.[/QUOTE]

Ahh, if only quality writing was appreciated. And the reason for no jump according to Tim Schafer is because that is what ruined Van Halen... best answer ever.

I've been playing a lot of games with no jump... Batman AA and Demon's Souls... now this. Going to be weird to play a game with jump again! :lol:

Hey Noir, i have nothing against "no jumping" Heavenly Sword comes mind immediately. As for Batman AA, i think gliding is considered jumping :lol:

And i do appreciate the humors in BL, it's not all that bad. I'm just saying the demo didn't really clicked for me. I guess i'm too picky :lol:

After playing the demo and not really following the game news I assumed this was gonna be a normal go through the level and be presented with another level type of game but I was dead wrong. The game is a sandbox game you can do and collect tons of stuff and progress the main story as fast or as slow as you wish.

I've made it through I think 75%-80% of the story in just one night on normal difficulty. I never was into collecting shit so I didn't try but there is ALOT to collect and see. Game is pretty fun and i'd say it's a rental unless you are a collecting whore.

I also wasn't expecting the RTS aspect when you are controlling your army but it worked. Game was surprising and fun, play it!

My copy arrived via UPS directly from the EA Store today. I was planning on waiting to play it until after I got through Uncharted 2, but since EA broke street date for me, I suppose I'll have to take care of Brutal Legend first. It's only the right thing to do. ;)

My amazon order w/ release date delivery still hasnt shipped. I'm assuming amazon refunds the shipping cost if it isn't delivered on release day?

Also, I'm really excited.

Really? No discussion about the game today at all?

Anyway, fucking loving the game, even though it feels like it's gonna be short.

Just started multiplayer, which is crazy intense. It's definitly gonna take some time to get used to and learn all the unit weaknesses.

it's been laggy today though. Played 4 games, 2 of which have dropped connection, one where the guy just quit out. That one full game was badass though.

[quote name='Logain8955']Really? No discussion about the game today at all?
[/QUOTE]

I think most people, like myself, are going through Uncharted 2 at the moment.

I did purchase a copy at TRU though, so I hope to get some playtime in soon.

Mine has yet to come, but has shipped from Amazon. I am still in deep with Demon's Souls too though... so we'll see! Definitely going to get down on this one soon...

Is this any good? I got it with Uncharted 2 and NBA 2k10 but that was based on the demo which was fun but I don't know about the RTS elements. Thinking about returning it for InFamous.

Like I said earlier, fucking love the game.

However, if you're not a metalhead, you might not get the full feeling of the game. Also, the game is an action-RTS, which they didn't advertise well. Expect a switch from pure murder to strategic murder.

But, the RTS section controls well and fits perfectly into the world. Just don't run headlong into Tier 3 units and you'll be fine.

As a sidenote: NEEDS MORE PEOPLE PLAYING MULTIPLAYER! Pain in the ass trying to get a game right now, hope it picks up when people beat the campaign.

Is there a way to play with people on your friends list? I know at least a handful of us are waiting for the game to be delivered to start it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking forward to this game. I actually planned on playing it before U2- but when they both showed up on my porch at the same time, I couldn't resist putting in U2 first.

Got this from Gamefly today.. Played a bit.. pretty fun, but the framerate sometimes is really bad. Not sure how I feel about the RTS elements as I typically don't like those games, but that's what a rental is for. :p

I don't think I've seen anyone on my friends list playing this. My copy just came today, so I'm going to start playing. There's already a patch for it too, apparently.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I don't think I've seen anyone on my friends list playing this. My copy just came today, so I'm going to start playing. There's already a patch for it too, apparently.[/QUOTE]

I've played it a bit, but I'm drowning in new games to play right now so am not very far.

And the patch fixed sound problems in the PS3 version that made all the sounds muffled and low quality.

I enjoyed the game. I definitely see a few faults with it though and definitely wouldnt pay full price for it. Only got it because of the B2G1 from TRU.

Faults in my opinion:
Story mode was WAAAY too short and predictable. Dont get me wrong, I enjoyed the story but they couldve made it longer.
Normal mode was extremely easy.
Too repetetive. Even the side missions are repetetive.
No epic bosses. Even the final boss was a cake walk.

Like I said, I enjoyed the game. But with all the hype surrounding this one, I expected alot more.

Wow this game was incredibly short. I feel ripped off and I got the game for 20 dollars.

Will be trading this is ASAP.

bread's done
Back