Budget Video Card

KillerFurby07

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Hey I'm just looking for suggestions on a video card. I'm looking for something cheap that will run WoW well. Right now I have a FX 5200 and it's horrible. The price needs to under around $75. Are there any good cards out there for that price?

Radeon 9800 Pro can be had on eBay for $60 shipped and will run WoW pretty well along with games like Half-Life 2 and Doom 3. I recommend going a step up and getting a 6800 GT (AGP) for around $85 or $90 shipped which will run WoW BEAUTIFULLY and even run recent games like Oblivion decently.

Edit - Wow. I just checked prices for the 6800 GT and they have skyrocketed from when I purchased mine. They run for around $125.

Well I found a clearance X800 here:http://shop.ati.com/product.asp?sku=3130802. It's $79 plus I found a coupon code that brings it down to like $75+free shipping so I'll probably get that. The only thing I'm worried about is since I'm ordering it from ati I don't know how fast their shipping is but should be fine and it seems like a great price. It is refurbished but it does come with a 1-year warranty. So unless anybody has any other suggestions I'll probably be getting this.

X800 Pro has similar benchmarks to a 6800 GT. However like mojoman mentioned above, you can't use that card because you have an AGP slot. X800 Pros do exist in AGP format, just not the one that you linked which is PCI-Express format.

[quote name='mojoman5165']Are you sure you have a PCI express slot, since the FX 5200 is an AGP card?[/QUOTE]

He could have the PCI version of the 5200, which in case would open up the possibility of a PCI-E slot.

[quote name='Moxio']He could have the PCI version of the 5200, which in case would open up the possibility of a PCI-E slot.[/quote]

Wow, I had no idea they would create a PCI-E version of such a shitty card.

[quote name='Kendro']Wow, I had no idea they would create a PCI-E version of such a shitty card.[/QUOTE]

hes saying he could have a open pci-e slot because he is using the 5200 in a pci slot. Im gonna doubt that though, and just assume he has agp

Lol well I have the PCI version of the 5200 now but I'm getting a new motherboard to replace my broken one and I'll have PCI-E. Hope that clears everything up. :)

There's another card on the site that's AGP here:http://shop.ati.com/product.asp?sku=2970123. It's a Radeon 9800SE. I don't know much about the card but it's $60 and if you use the code atiwe5 you get 5% off+free shipping. I was kind of looking at that one too but I'm not sure if SE means it's better or worse than the regular 9800? If anybody can give me details on that card it would be helpful.

if you want agp the highend is a little over 200, the x1950 pro, but in your price range you're more limited. When buying a new video card, (even if its just for WoW) avoid getting old tech. The 9800se is not very good, its the lowest of the 9800's, and to be honest, a 7600gs would be a much better buy. I've seen them for 50 ar, but only pci-e. The agp versions can be found for around 100 I suspect, and are easily twice the card the 9800se will ever be, not to mention in newer games the gs will probably be 3x as powerful, if not more.

if you have a pci-e, you can usually find 7600gs for around 50-70 after rebates. for AGP, look at 6600s for around 75.

circuitcity.com has a 7300 for 69.99, pci-e. Flip through newegg's listings too. 9800 and their ilk are passe now.

Hell, I'd sell my 6800OC AGP for what you're looking for.

7600gt for $90ish at newegg after rebate.

7600gs/7300gs are other decent choices for a low budget

Not sure what the ati equivalent is

[quote name='Quillion']I need a cheap AGP card too.. Not quite ready to build a new computer.[/QUOTE]

I have a 6800XT AGP card for sale. 256MB, AGP but you need a 320 watt power supply and an extra HDD power connector for the card. The card is about 100 new and Im looking for 50 bucks

The card still has 6 months for return at Newegg if something did happen. Bought it to play NWN2, was not happy and bought a 7600GT. Only had the card for like 4 months....was working fine. It played all games on max settings except NWN2......played on medium to low settings and I wanted better graphics for that game

I also have a PCI-E ATI X300 for sale for 25.

Both cards are 256MB

bread's done
Back