Budget Wii titles (back to) $15.99 at Costco - Sonic, SSX Blur, etc.

callmesteam

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Costco is carrying a new SKU of budget priced Wii titles for $15.99 each. There are some decent titles this time around though.

Titles include:

- Sonic and the Secret Rings
- SSX Blur
- Sega Bass Fishing
- Cars
- Winter Sports The Ultimate Challenge
- Mercury Meltdown:Revolution
- Spongebob Squarepants Creature from the Krusty Krab
- MonkeyBall:Banana Blitz
- Code Lyoko:Quest for Infinity
- Arctic Tale

There might have been another one or two... I can confirm tomorrow if so. Not bad as most of those are still at a $29.99 MSRP. They were marked with a street date of 3/14, so they should be in stock at most locations.

Also check out the thread on $10.99 budget DS titles and $14.99 Xbox 360 titles, if you're interested...

Thanks h3llbring3r for your additional help.

[quote name='king ccm']want, as in take off your hands for free? *hopeful face*[/QUOTE]

Only if you send me something of equal or greater value in the mail "for free". No, basically I mean at cost + shipping + $1 or $2 for the gas I spent trekking 30 miles last night getting games I will most likely not keep ;). I'm on the fence about SSX Blur and Spongebob and everything else I picked up was for a CAG who wanted 4 games and the extra Sonics (I actually got 2 extra) that I thought might be a desired item here.

[quote name='io']Only if you send me something of equal or greater value in the mail "for free". No, basically I mean at cost + shipping + $1 or $2 for the gas I spent trekking 30 miles last night getting games I will most likely not keep ;). I'm on the fence about SSX Blur and Spongebob and everything else I picked up was for a CAG who wanted 4 games and the extra Sonics (I actually got 2 extra) that I thought might be a desired item here.[/QUOTE]

PMed you. I have an extra SSX.

*deflating noise* Oh well, worth a shot, right? In any case, I'll see if I can dig up anything around here.

I went to Costco today. I didn't see any special display for these titles. However I went over to the regular Wii games display stand and I was luck enough to find the last two copies of SSX Blur and Sega Bass Fishing hidden behind some other games. The stickers on the boxes both were marked $15.99 but when I went to pay for them they rang up for $10.99 each. Thanks for the great deal on these!

[quote name='rapsodist']Anybody who didn't see the games at their Costco should check around the entire store. My Costco had a few of the sale games in the usual electronics area but there was a box on the other side of the store with an abundance of every game listed in the OP.[/QUOTE]

Which Costco did you go to? I checked both Los Feliz and Burbank last night and even walked the entire store just in case and didn't see anything but Nights with the rebate. Let me know. Thanks.

[quote name='bojay1997']Which Costco did you go to? I checked both Los Feliz and Burbank last night and even walked the entire store just in case and didn't see anything but Nights with the rebate. Let me know. Thanks.[/quote]

Whoops, I didn't realize that I forgot to list the location! It was the Northridge store on Tampa Ave.

Picked up SSX Blur and Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime for 10.99, Kameo for 14.99, and Nights for 28.99. They had plenty of all titles listed.

Question about membership: I signed up today just so I could get in on this deal, and they said you could cancel your membership and get a refund at any time. But I might want to keep it for a while in case they have some more good deals. If I were to keep it for a year and renew for another $50, but after that decide to cancel, would I get back the original $50 fee (so $100 total) as well?

[quote name='bryan78']Picked up SSX Blur and Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime for 10.99, Kameo for 14.99, and Nights for 28.99. They had plenty of all titles listed.

Question about membership: I signed up today just so I could get in on this deal, and they said you could cancel your membership and get a refund at any time. But I might want to keep it for a while in case they have some more good deals. If I were to keep it for a year and renew for another $50, but after that decide to cancel, would I get back the original $50 fee (so $100 total) as well?[/QUOTE]

No, you will just get back the $50 for the membership year you are canceling within.

Yeah, but is $10 for a Sonic game (none of which have been good in 3d) worth it? This, ssx blur and spongebob are the only things I'm only slightly tempted in. Costco is less than 5 mins from my house.

Just thought I may update people that if they found out that their Costcos are ransacked, they might want to check again on the 19th or 20th. Every wherehouse that I looked at is getting anywhere from 12 to 140

The Costco in Hawthorne, CA has plenty of copies of almost everything. There was not much in the DS section but I didn't really look that hard. There was no sign advertising the Wii deal but it rang up with the discount. Picked up SSX and Spongebob. Still not sure about picking up Sonic.

[quote name='eldergamer']Yeah, but is $10 for a Sonic game (none of which have been good in 3d) worth it? This, ssx blur and spongebob are the only things I'm only slightly tempted in. Costco is less than 5 mins from my house.[/quote]
I was wary about that too, and passed on my first trip and snagged a couple my second trip. I have one left and I can't decide if I want to open it and try it or not. A few people here really recommended it, and it got decent reviews (I'm looking at metacritic), but I have burned by Sonic games so many times in the past...

No matter what, I will always have Sonic 2 on the Mega Collection.

[quote name='eldergamer']Yeah, but is $10 for a Sonic game (none of which have been good in 3d) worth it? This, ssx blur and spongebob are the only things I'm only slightly tempted in. Costco is less than 5 mins from my house.[/QUOTE]

Just my opinion but Sonic and the Secret Rings is hands down the best deal there. It is scads better than the PS3/360 Sonic that came out around the same time. While it looks 3D it plays more like a 2D game (or a hybrid in any case). All the others are meh, and I'll probably end up returning SSX Blur.

After playing Secret Rings for about 6 hours, I'd say it's just about worth it at $10.99. It's certainly the closest that a 3D Sonic has come to replicating the breakneck thrills of the 2D glory days. If you've suffered through the other 3D iterations that either shifted the franchise's fundamental identity or flat-out sucked, and you're determined to find any redeeming value in a new Sonic title, this game might seem heaven-sent. Otherwise, you'll likely see Secret Rings for what it is: a passable game that's a step in the right direction but didn't entirely deliver on its promise to reinvigorate the series.

[quote name='yukine']Some nice deals, I need a couple of those games. It's a shame there isn't a Costco around here.[/QUOTE]

Aren't you in Phoenix? There is a Costco (or two) in Tucson - there must be one up on Phoenix as well.

[quote name='eldergamer']Yeah, but is $10 for a Sonic game (none of which have been good in 3d) worth it? This, ssx blur and spongebob are the only things I'm only slightly tempted in. Costco is less than 5 mins from my house.[/QUOTE]
I spent full price on Sonic and thought it was well worth it. $10.99 is amazing. The game's fun plus the party mode is great for kids, my parents bought the game for my siblings and my 4 and 5 year old sisters and they've been party mode nonstop. My 14 and 13 year old brother and sister respectively both love the party mode too...and both seem to enjoy the normal game mode. I love the regular game mode and beat the crap out of it...still in the process of unlocking all the characters for party mode.

BUT, for the record -- I'm also the same guy that thoroughly enjoyed Sonic Adventure and hated Sonic Heroes, so I may not be the best person to talk on this...

Also, Cars is a fun game. Simple controls, and it's a fun racing game. The mini-games are also amusing.

[quote name='io']Aren't you in Phoenix? There is a Costco (or two) in Tucson - there must be one up on Phoenix as well.[/quote]

Nope, Surprise area. Looks like there is one in Glendale though, I've never seen it... I'll have to hit it up when I get the chance.

Thanks for posting this, I picked up Super Monkey Ball, New York Times Crossword Puzzle, and Viva Pinata for $40 or something.

What's this NiGHTS deal everyone keeps talking about? I saw them on the shelf for their usual ~$43 but didn't see anything beyond that.

I checked out the Grandville, MI store yesterday and failed to find any of the Wii titles. There were a handful of DS titles like Super Monkey Ball Touch 'n Roll though.

Anyone tried asking staff for the games yet?

^^ There's an instant rebate that brings it down to $28.99. There was a sign at my store.

As far as the $10.99 goes, it pays to check again. I happened to be at Costco for something else today and found that they had re-stocked their games. Winter Games 2008, which was not instock yesterday, was there today! Grabbed one. There's a few left in Greenville, SC. Sonic, SSX Blur, Cars and one or two others also were there.

Yeah, I'm leaning toward checking again today, though my wife already gave me trouble for coming home with food she didn't ask me to buy yesterday ;)

[quote name='io']Just my opinion but Sonic and the Secret Rings is hands down the best deal there. It is scads better than the PS3/360 Sonic that came out around the same time. While it looks 3D it plays more like a 2D game (or a hybrid in any case). All the others are meh, and I'll probably end up returning SSX Blur.[/quote]

I think I'll skip on blur. Might pick up sonic and spongebob when I go there next week. (it seems like we're going to costco every few weeks now. fish sticks, chicken nuggets, milk. who knew a 2 and a half year old ate so much?)

Went to the Sterling Heights MI store and snagged:

Sonic Wii (last one)
SSX Blur Wii
Monkey Ball Wii
Roast Chicken Mii
Garden Salad Mii

Thanks OP!!:cool:

[quote name='TehTriggerman']Went to the Sterling Heights MI store and snagged:

Sonic Wii (last one)
SSX Blur Wii
Monkey Ball Wii
Roast Chicken Mii
Garden Salad Mii

Thanks OP!!:cool:[/quote]

They had those at mine too! I got a bunch more, here's what's unclaimed (1 trade pending):
:wii: 2 Sega Bass
:wii: Sonic

And for myself:
:wii: Cheese Pizza Slice
:wii: Berry Smoothie

Thanks Ops!
Found one last Sonic....
spoke with a sweet ederly gal buying games for the grandchildren...Cars and Artic...she also wanted Sonic...checked with Customer Service...bunch more "in transit"' so check for restocks!

Oh, and if anyone has played Nights on Saturn....I have this and and controller but it's on my to be played pile...if you were me, would you take advantage of the Costco deal? I'm not sure having not played it yet...

thanks!

Picked up Sonic Rush for my boy -- thanks for the post.

U might considering modifying the thread title to mention DS games as well.

Deal is on in San Diego! Picked up Sonic, SSX Blur, Monkey Ball, and Mercury Meltdown Revolution. I'm thinking of picking up Avatar and Bass Fishing for the Wii, anyone have these games and if it's worth $10..99 each? I'm also thinking of picking up Viva Pinta! and Tetris for the 360 for $14.99 each.

[quote name='donssword']Picked up Sonic Rush for my boy -- thanks for the post.

U might considering modifying the thread title to mention DS games as well.[/quote]

There's a separate thread for the DS games, but it got buried and will soon be on the third page.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176113

[quote name='JolietJake']Why all the hate for sonic adventure?[/quote]

Sonic Adventure was a fun game for its time but I don't think it was what old-school hedgehog fans envisioned, Big the Cat least of all. :lol:

[quote name='donssword']Picked up Sonic Rush for my boy -- thanks for the post.

U might considering modifying the thread title to mention DS games as well.[/quote] wow... i thought i had, but i had not. thanks, thread updated.

The aforementioned Grandville, MI store has their Wii games out now. I was able to get the Sonic (IIRC there were 2 left) I wanted and SSX for my friend (2 there as well, I think.)

Not a big selection, but I was glad to see what I was looking for :)

I didn't see Sonic Rush there, but absolutely loved it back when I bought it at $20, so I'd recommend that for anyone on the fence.

Good grief. I can't believe you all went for SUPER MONKEY BALL: BANANA BLITZ. It isn't worth 10 CENTS. The controls are unbelievably awful. I wanted to unload my copy 15 minutes after opening it. Terrible game... stay away!

picked up Super Monkey Ball, Sonic (impulse purchase) and SSX Blur

no Bass Fishing but probably would've expanded my horizons and tried this so I'll check another Coscto for this

[quote name='DCGCPlayer']Good grief. I can't believe you all went for SUPER MONKEY BALL: BANANA BLITZ. It isn't worth 10 CENTS. The controls are unbelievably awful. I wanted to unload my copy 15 minutes after opening it. Terrible game... stay away![/QUOTE]

Strongly disagree. It is one of the few games that I think utilizes the Wii motion control fairly well. It's also quite fun multiplayer.

[quote name='JolietJake']Yeah, i only played the sonic, tales and knuckles scenarios.[/QUOTE]
As one who played the crap out of that thing so that I could play as Super Sonic, (it was well worth it), I've got to say that the Big the Cat levels were irritating at first, but in the end weren't too bad. And the Amy levels were effectively the same idea as the Sonic levels...just a bunch slower, easier, and with some interesting elements. Also, the robot had an amazing storyline -- yes, I mean the story based around that character was awesome.

[quote name='DCGCPlayer']Good grief. I can't believe you all went for SUPER MONKEY BALL: BANANA BLITZ. It isn't worth 10 CENTS. The controls are unbelievably awful. I wanted to unload my copy 15 minutes after opening it. Terrible game... stay away![/quote]
agreed... its a damn attractive title, but too difficult for its own good.

Scored Sonic and SuperMonkey Ball for $24.XX after taxes. I skipped SSX Blur. Not into Skateboarding game. Can't find Puzzle Quest or Sega Bass Fishing :(

[quote name='eldergamer']why in the hell would anyone want super bass fishing? real fishing is boring enough, plus it's outdoors.[/quote]

I love fishing. It's a great excuse to get drunk in the middle of the day. And now with this game, you don't have to risk that DUI, or passing out and drowning in a lake. :D

Of course, I kid. I'm not an alcoholic.

[quote name='Masterkyo']Scored Sonic and SuperMonkey Ball for $24.XX after taxes. I skipped SSX Blur. Not into Skateboarding game. Can't find Puzzle Quest or Sega Bass Fishing :([/quote]

SSX Blur is a snowboarding game.

Sega Bass Fishing looked cool but I couldn't convince myself I needed it since I have it on Dreamcast with the Sega brand fishing rod (picked each of them up for $9.98 each at TRU years ago)

bread's done
Back