Buiding New System / Need OCing Tips

Zer0X1999

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
Hey there Caggers. Can you guys help my next PC build. I just want to make sure that everything is on the up and up (ie. nothing is being the bottleneck), and it'll be nice if anyone wants to help me save some cash by telling me where I can get the SAME parts for cheaper :D It'll be great if I could shave off some of the cost. Also some overclocking tips would be nice since this will be the first system I'm overclocking. I don't want to fry my new toy :bomb:

I'll probably order everything tonight or tomorrow and I will be building it myself.

SPECS/Cost Sheet:

From NewEgg.com

CASE
THermaltake SHark (ATX Full Tower) - $160

Motherboard
ABIT Fatal1ty AN8-SLI Socket 939 - $204

CPU
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ (San Diego) 1GHZ FSB - $273

Video Card
eVGA 256 MB GeForce 7800GTX PCI-e - $469.99

SoundCard
Creative Labs Audigy - $0 Taken from Old Computer

Hard Drive
Western Digital 300 GB (SATA) - $151

Power Supply
Thermaltake Purepower 560W Power Supply - $102

Memory
Corsair XMS TwinX 2 GB (2 x 1GB) - $300

Optical Drive
NEC 16X DVD+-R - $38.99

NewEgg.com Total: $1908.32 (After Taxes, Shipping, and Accesories. Live in CA >__

for overclocking, just do a google search and find a site that explains it,
basically, you'll have to download some kind of software to remove the limitations that prevent the hardware from running at above 100%,

Personally, I dont think you should overclock because you just dont need to with such a powerful system, it can already do whatever you want it to,
plus, overclocking shortens the life of the hardware, the limitations are there for a reason,

also, about the processor that you've chosen, make sure that you know what it runs at, because it wont be 3.7 ghz, AMD names their processers all wierd as to not appear inferior to Intel,

[quote name='LiquidNight']for overclocking, just do a google search and find a site that explains it,
basically, you'll have to download some kind of software to remove the limitations that prevent the hardware from running at above 100%,

Personally, I dont think you should overclock because you just dont need to with such a powerful system, it can already do whatever you want it to,
plus, overclocking shortens the life of the hardware, the limitations are there for a reason,

also, about the processor that you've chosen, make sure that you know what it runs at, because it wont be 3.7 ghz, AMD names their processers all wierd as to not appear inferior to Intel,[/QUOTE]

Is there any site in particular that you could suggest?

Thanks for the AMD thing, I'm aware of their rating system, however.

What LiquidNight said is pretty wrong. You want to do your OCing in the BIOS settings, by setting a higher FSB and/or multiplier. Make sure your RAM is running equal to or faster then the FSB on the CPU you are buying. i.e the FSB on the AMD CPU you're buying is 800MHz, so you want RAM that is at least DDR3200. You will need to increase voltage amounts every so many MHz of OCing. This page has some ok information: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1815

[quote name='comapro']What LiquidNight said is pretty wrong. You want to do your OCing in the BIOS settings, by setting a higher FSB and/or multiplier. Make sure your RAM is running equal to or faster then the FSB on the CPU you are buying. i.e the FSB on the AMD CPU you're buying is 800MHz, so you want RAM that is at least DDR3200. You will need to increase voltage amounts every so many MHz of OCing. This page has some ok information: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1815[/QUOTE]

Hey. Thanks. It has some good links to other articles related to Overclocking in general as well. I'll check them out in the morning once I'm recovered from my Marathon WOW session. :D

bread's done
Back