Build suggestions?

DarkTower80

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I was just looking for some input on a future build. I am thinking of either a quad core 6600 or a dual core 6850. I don't really plan on overclocking so I am more interested in stock speeds. I was also wondering about fans. The one that I am looking at is an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. Is this a good enough fan or should I look elsewhere?

For a motherboard, I was thinking of a ASUS P5N32-E but I am unsure if the 680i version is worth the extra money or if I should go with the 650i instead.

I plan on gaming and already have a 8800gt to put in it. I just can't decide if the extra cores will be worth while or if a higher clock speed is the way to go. Any input or links to articles would be greatly appreciated.

[quote name='neoMAX']Actually, they can make a difference.

http://www.nextlevelhardware.com/storage/battleship/[/quote]

So you are saying that spending 2k plus on tiny sold state drives to save 5 seconds on loading is worth it.

$$$$a get out of here with that shit.

You will not notice any fps increase with a faster hdd.

Its a waste of money to spend 3x the amount to shave off a couple of seconds for loading.

If you don't overclock, the E6850 will give you better performance... but not to overclock these Intels is ridiculous. It's so incredibly easy, Intel is VERY conservative in their clocking of these.

I got 3.3 GHz out of my Q6600 without any effort what-so-ever. All I did was change the FSB in BIOS, leaving everything else (including voltage) on Auto, literally 30 seconds of work and now this $275 quad core has a higher clock than that $280 dual core... there's really no contest. I'd hate to fathom paying the same price for a slower dual core, or leaving this CPU at 2.4 when I could have a free 40% performance boost.

As for the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, that's what I'm currently using and I like it quite a bit, but the only reason I chose it was due to price ($8 refurb). If I were spending a little more, I'd go with this Zalman or a Tuniq Tower.

I'm using the motherboard InuFaye linked to and have been quite satisfied.

The RAM is good if you don't mind the rebate. I'm using this pair of G.Skill and love 'em. I'm probably going to buy G.Skill for my next build, based on how well this pair performs.

[quote name='InuFaye']So you are saying that spending 2k plus on tiny sold state drives to save 5 seconds on loading is worth it.

$$$$a get out of here with that shit.

You will not notice any fps increase with a faster hdd.

Its a waste of money to spend 3x the amount to shave off a couple of seconds for loading.[/quote]

Actually the solid state drives offer huge speed increases. There are still fairly new as a consumer product and they already kill the raptors speed wise. Minimum double the speed. Also, no moving parts so there is almost no worry of them breaking down. It's tough to recommend them as it's a lot of money for very little space, but the speed is remarkable.

[quote name='Koggit']If you don't overclock, the E6850 will give you better performance... but not to overclock these Intels is ridiculous. It's so incredibly easy, Intel is VERY conservative in their clocking of these.

I got 3.3 GHz out of my Q6600 without any effort what-so-ever. All I did was change the FSB in BIOS, leaving everything else (including voltage) on Auto, literally 30 seconds of work and now this $275 quad core has a higher clock than that $280 dual core... there's really no contest. I'd hate to fathom paying the same price for a slower dual core, or leaving this CPU at 2.4 when I could have a free 40% performance boost.

As for the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, that's what I'm currently using and I like it quite a bit, but the only reason I chose it was due to price ($8 refurb). If I were spending a little more, I'd go with this Zalman or a Tuniq Tower.

I'm using the motherboard InuFaye linked to and have been quite satisfied.[/QUOTE]

Koggit, your system looks about what I envision mine will end up like. I grabbed some RAM from Newegg around Black Friday. I have 4 GB of 6400 OCZ Reaper memory to put in the system. I am hoping to get an Antec 900 case for it. I may try overclocking the new rig if it is that easy to get a big increase in performance.

Have you played Crysis on your machine? That is one of the games I am building this system to try and play.

Thanks for the input everyone. I appreciate it.

I'd stay away from the ASUS P5 line. My P5N32-SLI Premium was unstable in dual boot, returned it, got a P5N-E, which wont post. Really fucking pissed at ASUS right now.

bread's done
Back