Building a Custom PC - New and have a few questions (processor and board compatibilty

kevzik

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
well you have an intel board and thats an amd processor

look at the socket type the board uses 775 or 755 whatever and the amd prociessor is a socket am2.

not gonna work, you'll need to pick an intel processor that fits in the 775 socket.

edit damn it why do they put "add to dictionary" next to the correction. now i've got procciessor in my dictionary...

generall if you have an intel baord you need an intel proccessor

go for a core 2 duo e4400 or somethig like that, they're cheap and overclock well if you're trying to save a ton of money and your current cpu is really old

all the info you need is on the specs page of the motherboard

"CPU Socket Type LGA 775
CPU Type Core 2 Extreme / Core 2 Duo / Pentium D / Celeron
FSB 1066/800MHz"

so just make sure the CPU fits each category then it should work

So, make sure the CPU you get uses the LGA 775 CPU socket (nearly all Intel CPUs use it nowadays). Then make sure the CPU is one of those listed under CPU type. Then check it's FSB (frontside bus) and make sure it is either 1066 mhz or 800 mhz. I'm pretty sure sticking in a 1333 mhz CPU in there will not work (I'm not sure about this though)

Since it's an older Intel P965 chipset, it does not support a lot of the newer Intel Core 2 Duo processors. From the ECS's site, it does not seem like it supports the new E5000 series, E7000 series, E8000 series, none of the Quad Core CPUs, and none of the E6550, E6750, and E6850 (since they're 1333MHz bus). So that means you're stuck with a limited selections, namely you can use E6300, E6400, E2150, E4300, E6600, Celeron 430, and the older Pentium D's.

Just looking at the newegg briefly right now, it seems like they only have the Celeron 430 on sale in stock right now that will work on your motherboard. All older Intel CPUs have been discontinued on newegg's site.

bread's done
Back