Building a new computer...before newegg ships the parts, care to comment/criticize?

Arkay Firestar

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Hey folks,

After 7 years, I'm finally retiring my P4 2.53, and I've done as much research as I could in my hurried state to find a replacement before my dying computer (which I'm using to post) blows up.

Still, before the parts shipped, I was wondering if anyone out there who's been following things more closely than I have (I'm savvy, but haven't thought about a new computer for a long time, and as such I'm a bit behind with what's new) had any comments on the build. And in total frankness, this is not one of those "look at the awesome new system I'm building" posts, but rather the kind in which hopefully if I've made a bad call someone will save me from pissing money away on a mistake:

Intel Core I7 920
Intel DX58SO
6GB Corsair XMS 3 DDR3 1600
WD Velociraptor 300GB 10K SATA
Lite-on 6x bluray/DVDR SATA
Samsung 22x DVDR SATA
Coolermaster HAF 932 ATX case
Coolermaster 700W power supply

Now, you're probably wondering...where the hell is the video card. Good question. So, Newegg ran out of stock of the two versions of the same card I was thinking about. I'll find one of the two elsewhere, or later on newegg hopefully, but I decided I wasn't going to compromise. Still, I really don't have any experience with the other card makers...HIS, MSI, etc...so if anyone has good/bad experiences. Anyways, I was going to get a Radeon 4870 1GB GDDR5, first looking at ASUS's version with their 4-pipe "dark knight" cooling system, then at the Sapphire equivalent, both of which unfortunately sold out while I was researching other things.

I don't want to discuss monies because I got it through newegg, which is usually the best bet, or at least, not a rip off, but I do want to hear if anyone has had a bad experience with any of the parts I've ordered.

I only buy computers once every 5 years...I tend to try and get it right the first time...I rushed it this time, so I'm kinda sweating it :whistle2:\

Last edited by a moderator:
i got all of my parts from newegg for my home build comp, all the parts were fine and no complaints on the prices.

the only issue was that it really ended up more expensive then i thought it would. a refurbished dell is really a better deal, but its a good experience to build one.

Not sure if this is legal to post a link to another website, but post your build on desktopreview.com , and they will price check and give you guides to build.. :bouncy::bouncy:

That's some good shit. Just my opinion, but instead of buying a really, really good computer every 7 years I would spend a lot less and get a really good but not quite top of the line new computer every 4 or so instead. I mean if you only want the best, you've got it, but I would downgrade the cpu down to a ~$200 processor which would only require a ~$100 motherboard, get a $70 slower but higher capacity hard drive, save $50 by getting a 4850 instead, and just find 4 GB of DDR2-800 ram for $25.

DAMN. money isn't really an issue you for you then is it? If you're going to go with all that, may I suggest one additional component for gaming?

The Razer Barracuda sound system. It's $100 cheaper to get it from GoGamer.net,
http://www.gogamer.com/Razer-Barrac...VproductId30213572VVcatId444710VVviewprod.htm

I played on a station at PDXLAN 12 and I can honestly say it gives you a competitive advantage when you can hear the direction of footsteps. The soundcard also has individual drivers which require some setup, but definitely pay off with a few tweaks.

bread's done
Back