Building own pc vs. Buying Package?

DoubleStop

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
So im looking to buy a new pc. I'm debating whether or not to build my own (as i can upgrade parts later on as i see fit) or just to buy a bundle from best buy.

This is the best buy package i was looking at:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=BDL10001550&catid=20215 it also comes with a free printer and Office 2007 for $99.

These would be the parts i would buy from tigerdirect.ca to build my own:

DESCRIPTION
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif

openboxtable_bottomleft.gif
openboxtable_bottom.gif
openboxtable_bottomright.gif
pixel-clr.gif

pixel-clr.gif
M17-7414 SP1 :: Windows Vista Home Prem 64-bit DSP OEM DVD with Service Pack 1 (0.32 lbs)
pixel-clr.gif

$134.99

$134.99
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif

pixel-clr.gif

pixel-clr.gif
A180-M009 CA :: Acer X193Wb 19" TFT Widescreen LCD Monitor - 5ms, 2000:1, 1440x900(WXGA+), VGA, Black (12 lbs)
pixel-clr.gif

$179.99

$179.99
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif

pixel-clr.gif

pixel-clr.gif
D15-9106 :: Diablotek KYB-107U Beige Keyboard - 107-Keys (1.35 lbs)
pixel-clr.gif

$8.97

$8.97
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif

pixel-clr.gif

pixel-clr.gif
T925-1168 :: Thermaltake TR2-R1 / AMD Socket AM2/939/754 / Aluminum / 92mm Fan / CPU Cooler (1.15 lbs)
pixel-clr.gif

$18.99

$18.99
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif

pixel-clr.gif

pixel-clr.gif
P56-8500 :: PNY GeForce 8500 GT / 512MB DDR2 / SLI Ready / PCI Express / Dual Link DVI / VGA / HDTV / Video Card (1.3 lbs)
pixel-clr.gif

$49.99

$49.99
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif

pixel-clr.gif
C19-4382 :: Crucial 2048MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Memory (0.1 lbs)
pixel-clr.gif

$49.99

$99.98
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif

pixel-clr.gif

pixel-clr.gif
TSD-500M4 :: Maxtor DiamondMax 21 500GB Hard Drive - 7200, 16MB, SATA-300, OEM (1.45 lbs)
pixel-clr.gif

$69.99

$69.99
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif

pixel-clr.gif

pixel-clr.gif
A406-1054 :: Xion Solaris Black/Green ATX Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side, Front USB and Audio Ports and 450-Watt Power Supply (13.95 lbs)
pixel-clr.gif

$73.99

$73.99
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif

pixel-clr.gif

pixel-clr.gif
MBM-G35EC-Q6600 :: Intel DG35EC Motherboard CPU Bundle - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor 2.40GHz OEM (2.65 lbs)
pixel-clr.gif

$353.99

$353.99
pixel-clr.gif

Total comes to $990 + tax

Also, i've never build a pc myself. Is it difficult to do? From some of the guides that i have read it doesnt seem too difficult.

Are either of these setups any good?

Building a computer is very easy. It's basically just plugging parts into the motherboard. I would say most people with general hardware knowledge would be able to build a pc.

I say build your own, but I'm biased just because I like building stuff like this. You feel an accomplishment once you get everything set up and running.

i'm with dragonsho
i've built 4 computers and i always find it to be cheaper than pre-built

and, again, it is very easy to do. just read the directions that come with the board and you should be good to go.

Just a heads up I did not see a CD/DVD drive. It would be silly to forget something like that. Of course you may have a spare. Also, if you are planning to play games on that PC then consider something else for the video card and RAM.

The main thing to think about if you haven't built a system before is the tech support/troubleshooting. If you are comfortable learning to build and researching problems that arise, then definitely build. With an OEM you can deal with the manufacturer.

The build process is very straightforward and there are many guides on the net. Just be patient and don't rush anything and be very careful with static electricity. You may accidentally kill something before you turn it on and not know it.

When I built my pc the only problem that arose was stupid and my fault. I overclocked the ram timings to 4-4-4-4-12 so needless to say, it wouldn't turn on.

Also, here's a recommendation for better ram than the one you have selected. That one is a little slow and this one is $5 cheaper after rebate.
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2206874&CatId=2261
You probably want at least 800mhz ram. That's the ram I've had since early Nov. and havn't had a problem with it besides me being stupid.

If you plan on gaming, get a 8800gt or that new ati radeon, is it the 9650 or something? That's supposed to be good also.

Also, I don't know if it matters to you but that monitor only has vga input. If it has hdmi input you could plug in ps3 and/or a 360 into it.

If you plan to use the computer for gaming of any kind, then always build it yourself. Prebuilt computers skimp on power supplies and use propitiatory parts making upgrading/replacing anything a pain.

OP, just faced with your same issue. For a true cheap ass like myself the frustrating part was trying to get deals on all the parts. That being said the other posters are correct about feeling good about being able to build it with your own hands. Pluses are it doesn't come with all the junk software, I feel your own build is probably easier to upgrade, and to me the best part is when you upgrade you can use your old parts to put together a cheap HT-PC on the side since they aren't junk.

Downsides are the time you may spend. For me assembling the PC was easy, but I decided to install a zalman 9700. I hooked up one wire incorrectly and didn't realize that was what was causing it not to boot. Three hours later, after a lot of trouble shooting including putting the stock intel fan back on I realized what I had done.

One other tip is to check ebay for some of your parts instead of newegg/tiger direct. People often upgrade before their parts are even broken in, or you can pick up refurb parts. For example I was able to get the zalman 9700 for $41 shipped to my door.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say build it yourself, but sometimes you can get deals on refurbed or used systems that are much cheaper than anything you could build yourself.

Really depends on your technical knowledge. Most people I know could assemble a PC if they had a guide, all the parts are already there, etc, etc.

Though an important thing to ask is what the computer will be for. Just office and word, or will you be using it for some light gaming?

bread's done
Back