Building process

Hex

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
As I've hinted in several threads, I'll be building a new computer after Christmas with the parts I get as presents. The lowdown is this:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice
2Gb Corsair RAM
200Gb Maxtor SATA HDD
ASUS Nvidia mobo
EVGA 6600GT 128mb

That's the basics. Now, I can work with a computer once it's built and running, but building everything from the start is what I'm apprehensive about. Right, so I have all of the components in the machine, with a monitor and mouse hooked up to the computer, and I turn it on. I expect to see the ASUS logo and then be dropped into the BIOS config utility. I can figure out the BIOS, no sweat. I'd also load the mobo driver disc into the computer, to install what drivers it needs. From here, where do I go? Do I insert the HDD's SATA driver disk next, or do I go for the Windows disk next?

In short: In what order would I load the drivers into the computer?

Well after everything is installed and you can get into the BIOS then the next step is Windows.
The drivers you speak of are meant to be installed using Windows, you can;t do it any other way since they erly on Windows. After Windows install all the drivers you have and you are all set.

[quote name='dtarasev']Well after everything is installed and you can get into the BIOS then the next step is Windows.
The drivers you speak of are meant to be installed using Windows, you can;t do it any other way since they erly on Windows. After Windows install all the drivers you have and you are all set.[/QUOTE]

Ah. I was under the impression that the HDD's drivers were installed before it could even work. Thanks for the clarification. :)

If you're installing windows XP with service pack 1 or later (i.e. service pack 2) integrated, you most likely will not need the SATA driver disk to install windows.

If it doesn't find your hdd, just run setup again and press F6 to load a third party driver(when prompted), and pick the storage controller from your floppy disk. Unless you are going to use RAID, you don't need to install the RAID driver.

[quote name='Robobandit']If you're installing windows XP with service pack 1 or later (i.e. service pack 2) integrated, you most likely will not need the SATA driver disk to install windows.

If it doesn't find your hdd, just run setup again and press F6 to load a third party driver(when prompted), and pick the storage controller from your floppy disk. Unless you are going to use RAID, you don't need to install the RAID driver.[/QUOTE]

what is raid?

[quote name='Tiphireth']Ah. I was under the impression that the HDD's drivers were installed before it could even work. Thanks for the clarification. :)[/QUOTE]

When you boot the Windows CD it loads all the drivers it needs into the RAM. The driver are none specific but they will allow you to install Windows.

And also, how would you install HDD drivers if you are supposed to put them on the HDD?:)

[quote name='dtarasev']When you boot the Windows CD it loads all the drivers it needs into the RAM. The driver are none specific but they will allow you to install Windows.

And also, how would you install HDD drivers if you are supposed to put them on the HDD?:)[/QUOTE]

That was the point of contention... But I've got te gist of it now. Thanks, all. :)

Heres the system I just built.
MB ASUS A8N-E NF4 ULTRA Seems to be a pretty solid board, lots of options. Booted right up
PSU ROSEWILL RP550-2 Really sexy PSU, giant cooling fan and it glows blue.
VGA EVGA|GF 7800GT 256-P2-N516 Chews up Fable at maxed settings. Only game I've played with it yet.
PSU ENERMAX 535W|EG565P-VE FMA(24P) Avoid. I RMA'd this because it wouldn't power my optical drives and my pc would shut down after booting- if it booted at all.
MEM 1Gx2|OCZ D400 OCZ4002048V3DC-K No probs here, $200. It would have been cheaper to get two single sticks, but they're matched for dual channel.
CASE EMAX|CS-5688AL-DR BK ATX RTL Its pretty... but dont get it if you're travelling with it. Very flimsy.
CPU AMD 64 |4200+ ATHLON X2 939P RT

Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 "Weeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

First off, get a better GPU. 7800gt/gto or X800/x850. Its better to spend more now and get better performance for longer than to scrape the bottom of the barrel every other year. Additionally, get the best CPU you can afford. You don't need to go dual core, but money you spend now is money you dont have to spend later. Additionally, you'll get more enjoyment out of it immediately. You're going to be more content paying 300 dollars for a CPU that'll last 4 years with better performance than 150 that'll yeild less performance for less time.

DO NOT build your PC in the case right away. Get all your components tested out before you assemble and screw down everything. Try out your motherboard, CPU, PSU, ram and GPU on a table or something- take anti-static precautions.

If those work, add on your HDDs and optical drives.

If all that works, THEN you can put it all in your case.

Then you update your bios, check the mobo manual, that'll tell you how. Then install windows. If you're using 1 sata drive, make sure you turn off raid in the bios.

After you get windows installed, then hunt down all the updates you can. When you first load windows, you may not be able to get online. Your motherboard should have a CD with NIC drivers. Sound too. Dont even bother installing the driver that came with your GPU, just get the latest one as soon as you get online.

Thats more or less all you need.
(Not that I approve or anything, but if you're version of XP isnt... official... get all the windows updates before you "unlock" it)

[quote name='Kayden']Heres the system I just built.
MB ASUS A8N-E NF4 ULTRA Seems to be a pretty solid board, lots of options. Booted right up
PSU ROSEWILL RP550-2 Really sexy PSU, giant cooling fan and it glows blue.
VGA EVGA|GF 7800GT 256-P2-N516 Chews up Fable at maxed settings. Only game I've played with it yet.
PSU ENERMAX 535W|EG565P-VE FMA(24P) Avoid. I RMA'd this because it wouldn't power my optical drives and my pc would shut down after booting- if it booted at all.
MEM 1Gx2|OCZ D400 OCZ4002048V3DC-K No probs here, $200. It would have been cheaper to get two single sticks, but they're matched for dual channel.
CASE EMAX|CS-5688AL-DR BK ATX RTL Its pretty... but dont get it if you're travelling with it. Very flimsy.
CPU AMD 64 |4200+ ATHLON X2 939P RT

Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 "Weeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

First off, get a better GPU. 7800gt/gto or X800/x850. Its better to spend more now and get better performance for longer than to scrape the bottom of the barrel every other year. Additionally, get the best CPU you can afford. You don't need to go dual core, but money you spend now is money you dont have to spend later. Additionally, you'll get more enjoyment out of it immediately. You're going to be more content paying 300 dollars for a CPU that'll last 4 years with better performance than 150 that'll yeild less performance for less time.

DO NOT build your PC in the case right away. Get all your components tested out before you assemble and screw down everything. Try out your motherboard, CPU, PSU, ram and GPU on a table or something- take anti-static precautions.

If those work, add on your HDDs and optical drives.

If all that works, THEN you can put it all in your case.

Then you update your bios, check the mobo manual, that'll tell you how. Then install windows. If you're using 1 sata drive, make sure you turn off raid in the bios.

After you get windows installed, then hunt down all the updates you can. When you first load windows, you may not be able to get online. Your motherboard should have a CD with NIC drivers. Sound too. Dont even bother installing the driver that came with your GPU, just get the latest one as soon as you get online.

Thats more or less all you need.
(Not that I approve or anything, but if you're version of XP isnt... official... get all the windows updates before you "unlock" it)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice, especially the part about not mounting the parts in the case immediately. That's a good idea I hadn't considered. Luckily, I'm building this at work, where we have static mats, dissipation jackets and wristbands, so I'm not too worried about ESD damage.

I definitely plan on updating in January; the lower-grade parts are more to hold me over until I have the dough to purchase the really good stuff. I had to purchase other presents, mind. I plan on going with an EVGA 7800GT pretty quickly, and I've been eying the AMD X2... newegg had one on sale today for a nice price, but I'm broke. :lol: I'll be getting HL2 and Quake 4 after Christmas, so I should be able to play those soon, if not immediately after I get the new computer started up.

My boss got me WinXP SP2 for Christmas, so I'm not too worried about getting snagged. I use the 'unreleased free edition' on my computer now, and it lacks a lot of the features/drivers that I need.. And am too lazy to download.

The last problem that I was worried about was in fact getting online. See, when we plugged my dad's laptop into the ethernet cord from the modem (no router) it wouldn't connect to the internets. Anyway, I called Comcast and apparently the only thing you need to do is cycle the power on the modem once it's plugged into the new computer and restart and it should work.

I'm just a tad excited. :bouncy:

Building a PC is cake now-a-days thanks to pNp
and the windows xp installer does everything for u now
no more IRQs, IO memory adress, jumpers(expcet for IDE)
Low level, and high level format,...

Right, so I have all my parts set, and I'm leaving in a few to go build mah new baby. :D I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

And I lied- My graphics card is a 6800GT, not 6600GT.

Anyone who saw the problem post- I realized that the mobo needs activation from the case itself. Once I got everything mounted in the case, it started up. Now, all I have to do is find a monitor, config the BIOS, and bring'er home. :D

[quote name='Animefalcon']Building a PC is cake now-a-days thanks to pNp
and the windows xp installer does everything for u now
no more IRQs, IO memory adress, jumpers(expcet for IDE)
Low level, and high level format,...[/QUOTE]

Even installing a game "back in the day" was a pain in the ass. You had to know all these IRQs and whatnots just to get sound to work.

[quote name='Vegan']Even installing a game "back in the day" was a pain in the ass. You had to know all these IRQs and whatnots just to get sound to work.[/QUOTE]
Everything back in the day was a pain in the ass. I remember I had to make a boot disc to play certain dos games. It was for my 386-16, with one meg of ram.:)

I'm arfraid I don't have anything that old school, aside from my Toshiba Satellite laptop that's from early 1987. Windows 3.1, baby. :D I belive it has 8 megs of RAM, thanks to a RAMdisk. :lol:

bread's done
Back