Built PC, Powered On Once, Now Doesn't

Psyae

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
This is the second time I'm building a PC, and I'm having some trouble with this one.

I put the insides together, and got it to power on and I was able to access BIOS. Feeling satisfied, I decided to put the case sides back on. I put it all together and it wouldn't turn on. No idea what the deal is with this at all.

Originally thinking that it was an issue with the power supply hookups, I took the PSU out and then redid all of the wiring, but no luck.

I also took apart the USB/Power button/Reset  button thing on one of the case's sides because the power button on the casing acts a bit funny, like when I tighten the case it kind of gets stuck (may be irrelevant, but I felt I should mention it.)

Right now I think I'm either going to need a new motherboard or a new power supply, but I felt like I should ask around for people's opinions first before just buying new parts. 

This is the build I'm working with: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/125cf

Do you have a power supply tester?  Make sure that's the problem before you drop a C-note (or more) on a new power supply. 

What video card(s) are you running?  The 430W power supply listed on your build list might be underpowered, especially if you've got a couple nVidia cards in SLI or a couple ATI cards in CrossFire. 

Having built one before, you're probably safe from the problem I always see with first-time PC builders:  forgetting to use the pretapped brass risers to screw into the case before screwing the motherboard to it (which usually causes a short if you screw the mobo directly to the case).

Thanks for the response, SilentBob.

I don't have a power supply tester, but tomorrow I'm going to test the build with the power supply from my gaming PC (built it last week).

This build that I'm working with is actually my friend's, and he wanted me to help him build it since I now have a little bit of experience. He went home for the night, and I continued working on it (just my luck, bad shit happens when the other guy leaves.) 

And the processor actually has integrated graphics. Another friend of mine helped come up with the build for him, so he's just going to be sticking with that.

And lol, I actually made the mistake of placing the motherboard directly into the case with my first build. After like 5 seconds I realized that it didn't look right at all and my heart got pounding. That PC is completely fine though.

First I would check and make sure you properly installed the case connections, mainly the power button one.  If that is put on the wrong pins on the motherboard, nothing will turn on.  Also, make sure you actually press the power button on the case....  The case connections are the really tiny wires that fit on to 1 or 2 pins, usually onto a group of pins location on the bottom/bottom right of your motherboard. 

If that doesn't work, then test the power supply.  You can test it with a paper clip.  Make a U-Shape with the ends, then put one inside the only green wire on the power supply, and the other into any of the adjacent black wires.  Then, turn it on.  I would do a Youtube search for how to do it if you don't understand what I just said though.  If the Power Supply is working, the fan will turn on and you can also test it with a case fan.  It's a relatively simple and easy test to see if you have a dead power supply or not.  If you have a dead power supply, then just replace the power supply.  However, if the power supply turns on and you are sure everything is connected right, you might have a dead motherboard.  

If nothing is turning on it probably isn't the CPU because if the CPU isn't working your computer should be turning on for a few seconds, then turning off.  If nothing is turning on or lighting up at all, it's more likely 1) Something not connected right 2) Power Supply or 3) Motherboard.  So, the logical troubleshooting steps would be to make SURE all connections are right first, then test the power supply next because if you have a dead power supply, the mystery is solved and you don't need to take your motherboard out.   

A simple test would be to just plug in necessary components to turn on the pc. I would leave all cases fans unplugged and test, if it turns on, try again with one fan, then two, etc...I had this issue where a case fan and LED light were causing my pc to turn on then off right away and found it to be a faulting fan.  

I would definitely reseat all connections as stated above, also check to make sure you did not screw the Mobo down to tight it could cause a shortage.

He mentions that he adjusted the power button on the case which if it's not working properly would cause the problem he is describing. If your motherboard has a power button on it, then the easiest way to test it would be to press it and see if it turns on. Looking at the picture of his motherboard though, it doesn't appear his motherboard has one (although I could be missing it in the picture). If you don't have one on your motherboard, it makes it harder to trouble-shoot and I'd go the route I said, connections, power supply then you'd have to figure out if its the motherboard or case.

But I wouldn't be surprised to find this being at the center of his problem:

I also took apart the USB/Power button/Reset button thing on one of the case's sides because the power button on the casing acts a bit funny, like when I tighten the case it kind of gets stuck (may be irrelevant, but I felt I should mention it.)

I just did the paperclip thing to test the power supply. Turns out that is in full working order, so it must either be a problem with the motherboard or the way I connected stuff, but I doubt it's the connections considering it had booted up once before with the connections the way I had them.

Before going out and buying a new motherboard, I'll do what you guys suggested one final time and test with only the essential connections in first. I'm not too hopeful about it, but it's better than just buying a new one without being 100% certain. 

By the way, thank you to everyone who replied. I really appreciate all of the input, and you all have helped me understand more about building a PC.

Also, take out the CMOS battery or do a hard reset on that. 

One last thing that I did not see mentioned, even though you said it fired up once before - make sure that the CPU  & heatsink/fan are still seated right and that the CPU fan is still plugged in.

All things that have bit me before in my numerous system builds.

He mentions that he adjusted the power button on the case which if it's not working properly would cause the problem he is describing. If your motherboard has a power button on it, then the easiest way to test it would be to press it and see if it turns on. Looking at the picture of his motherboard though, it doesn't appear his motherboard has one (although I could be missing it in the picture). If you don't have one on your motherboard, it makes it harder to trouble-shoot and I'd go the route I said, connections, power supply then you'd have to figure out if its the motherboard or case.

But I wouldn't be surprised to find this being at the center of his problem:

I also took apart the USB/Power button/Reset button thing on one of the case's sides because the power button on the casing acts a bit funny, like when I tighten the case it kind of gets stuck (may be irrelevant, but I felt I should mention it.)
Little late but this is probably on the money.

I just did a build and tested with MOBO power on, everything was fine. With case install nothing worked. I chased it for probably an hour before I realized I had a case jumper reversed. Those always get me when doing a build. Every Mobo seems to be a little different. And the one I was doing was actually incorrectly labeled.

May not be the case here, but anyone doing a future build watch these.

bread's done
Back