Bulletstorm PC $28.75

The link sends you to a site called GamePointsNow and I've never heard of them before. Apparently they send you a code that you can redeem using EA Download Manager.

Here's the link to the game's store page: Link

If this is real, over 50% off on the game's release is pretty awesome.

[quote name='UnrealZero']why are the microsoft and psn cards over priced?[/QUOTE]

they sell them to oversea's peeps that have to import xbl cards and the like

Does this site seem legit? I just mentioned the deal because I saw it on another forum and didn't see it here. I mentioned it to a friend, but he was all worried about having his CC info stolen.

[quote name='SadExchange82']Does this site seem legit? I just mentioned the deal because I saw it on another forum and didn't see it here. I mentioned it to a friend, but he was all worried about having his CC info stolen.[/QUOTE]

don't know about how legit they are... but they take paypal, so you don't need to worry about them stealing your CC#, just your $28.

edit:

seems ok, people getting codes today it seems.

https://www.ekomi.co.uk/review-gamepointsnow.html

I used Google Checkout. Got confirmation email, but they use a telephone system to verify and I can't confirm my purchase until I get back home.

Don't forget the code FRUGALGAMING at checkout to save 60 P (about $1).

I used paypal. Got the phone call. Completed the process and got a page that says "You will receive your code when the game is released". Game is already released assholes, give me my code so I can download and play it!!!

[quote name='Serakek']I used paypal. Got the phone call. Completed the process and got a page that says "You will receive your code when the game is released". Game is already released assholes, give me my code so I can download and play it!!![/QUOTE]

It's released on the 25th in the UK

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ichigo1993']How's the EADM? I've heard some really bad things about it..well..from searching google.[/QUOTE]
It is abysmal, I canceled some orders I had with them and bought them elsewhere for more because of that abomination. I have used Impulse, D2D, Steam (this is my primary), GFWL Marketplace and EADM. EADM is the worst by a mile.

[quote name='rybrad']It is abysmal, I canceled some orders I had with them and bought them elsewhere for more because of that abomination. I have used Impulse, D2D, Steam (this is my primary), GFWL Marketplace and EADM. EADM is the worst by a mile.[/QUOTE]

It's not that bad. They did an update a few months ago which allows you to see your CDKeys in the program which was a huge oversight in the old version.

For getting in on deals like this EADM works just fine. After you run the program you log in with an EA account. You choose to activate a game just like with Steam. You can then download the game's installer. You can make a backup of this if you want, or just download it again. EA's store says the game is available for one year, but I've had things available that I've purchased over two year ago.

After you install the game and run it you will have to activate it by entering your EA account login information. You will then be able to run it without being prompted for about a month or so. Then you just need to login in again.

I haven't seen anything about activation limits, and I've reinstalled games after computer rebuilds without problems.

Steam is still the best, but if you can get a good deal using EADM, then go for it.

[quote name='thisboywillbreak']Because it'd be outdated by the time you got home and hooked it up. :cry:[/QUOTE]

that's not really how pc gaming works

plus, consoles have been outdated for over six years

[quote name='SScorpio']It's not that bad. They did an update a few months ago which allows you to see your CDKeys in the program which was a huge oversight in the old version.

For getting in on deals like this EADM works just fine. After you run the program you log in with an EA account. You choose to activate a game just like with Steam. You can then download the game's installer. You can make a backup of this if you want, or just download it again. EA's store says the game is available for one year, but I've had things available that I've purchased over two year ago.

After you install the game and run it you will have to activate it by entering your EA account login information. You will then be able to run it without being prompted for about a month or so. Then you just need to login in again.

I haven't seen anything about activation limits, and I've reinstalled games after computer rebuilds without problems.

Steam is still the best, but if you can get a good deal using EADM, then go for it.[/QUOTE]
Sounds to me like you haven't used it in the last month or so. You can not make backups of installers in the latest version as it automatically does everything. This includes the _Installer folders not having all of the information needed for a fresh install. For Bulletstorm specifically, the installer folder is 900megs and is missing the majority of the information.

I just went through all of this today (on Bulletstorm specifically) and the end result was I got a refund from EA as they weren't able to provide me any answers on how to remove the trademark symbol from the game folder name which broke several programs on my PC. This can be a substantial issue for other people who use versioning software.

If you have some trick for backing up and running installers outside the EADM in the latest version I would love to hear it as EA apparently doesn't know shit about their own product. I had to be escalated 3 tiers of support before I got a BS line about not being able to choose anything manually for "convenience for the user".

Sorry for the long winded post, while I know my experience won't affect all users I would rather provide people with too much information so they can make an appropriate decision on their own.

Edit: After looking around more it would appear newer EA games no longer put installers in standalone folders to allow you to back these up. EA is forcing the download -> install automatically process with no option to backup or receive any input from the user.

[quote name='thisboywillbreak']Because it'd be outdated by the time you got home and hooked it up. :cry:[/QUOTE]

That stopped a long time ago, especially with the increasing popularity of consoles. It helped stabilize things a bit. I only just upgraded my PC after four years of gaming on my previous one. Handled games just fine for that length of time, and probably could still play most on the lower settings today.

If you do some research and make sure it is a solid system (please not that does not mean overly expensive either), you should be good for a bit. Last PC costs less than $1k, and lasted that long.

[quote name='rybrad']Sounds to me like you haven't used it in the last month or so. You can not make backups of installers in the latest version as it automatically does everything. This includes the _Installer folders not having all of the information needed for a fresh install. For Bulletstorm specifically, the installer folder is 900megs and is missing the majority of the information.
.... Edit: After looking around more it would appear newer EA games no longer put installers in standalone folders to allow you to back these up. EA is forcing the download -> install automatically process with no option to backup or receive any input from the user.[/QUOTE]
Was the installer folder that was only 900MB just support thing like DirectX and the like in the installed path? Because EADM never just put the installer where the game is installed. For XP look in C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\EADM, Vista and 7 C:\Users\\AppData\Local\EADM. You should be able to find the installers from there. When you run them directly you'll need to key in your CD Key manually, but otherwise it's just like installing it from within the program.

[quote name='SScorpio']Was the installer folder that was only 900MB just support thing like DirectX and the like in the installed path? Because EADM never just put the installer where the game is installed. For XP look in C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\EADM, Vista and 7 C:\Users\\AppData\Local\EADM. You should be able to find the installers from there. When you run them directly you'll need to key in your CD Key manually, but otherwise it's just like installing it from within the program.[/QUOTE]
Naw, it was a portion of the actual setup files for the game; you could run the setup.exe and it gave the appearance of the game being installed (even in the directory I wanted!) but when you try to run the game it errors out saying it is missing a ton of files.

I checked in app data, the cache folder I had set in EADM (yes, the keep downloaded installers box is checked) and nothing is around. I also reset all of the folder locations in EADM back to default to make sure that wasn't causing an issue.

If the download manager still worked how you said and I could download the installers and run them outside of the program, I would have no problem with it as that makes it on par with other non-Steam services like D2D and Impulse.

EA taking away almost all control from the user is not a great path for them to be moving forward on. Unfortunately, it seems EA has taken a step backwards here for "customer convenience".

Well, I bit on this, we'll see how it goes.

I had a weird time with checkout. I typed in my 713 area code phone number, and tried to pay by paypal but it said "checking number" for a second and then stopped and did nothing. Couldn't get it to work.
So I used Google Checkout instead, and that seemed to work and I got a confirmation, and then suddenly I got a cancellation notice that the order hadn't been approved somehow.
Finally I had an idea and tried my work phone number which has a 267 area code. THAT worked and let me pay via paypal, and I promptly confirmed by phone and was all set.

Now just the waiting game to see if I get the code or not...

Ordered one via Google Checkout about 3 hours ago... still in Google verification process. No phone call or text either... still hopeful!

[quote name='rybrad']Naw, it was a portion of the actual setup files for the game; you could run the setup.exe and it gave the appearance of the game being installed (even in the directory I wanted!) but when you try to run the game it errors out saying it is missing a ton of files.

I checked in app data, the cache folder I had set in EADM (yes, the keep downloaded installers box is checked) and nothing is around. I also reset all of the folder locations in EADM back to default to make sure that wasn't causing an issue.

If the download manager still worked how you said and I could download the installers and run them outside of the program, I would have no problem with it as that makes it on par with other non-Steam services like D2D and Impulse.

EA taking away almost all control from the user is not a great path for them to be moving forward on. Unfortunately, it seems EA has taken a step backwards here for "customer convenience".[/QUOTE]

One lesson to be learned is, buy the boxed retail version instead of some sketchy download "code" . . . that way you can reinstall from disc later. One reason I avoid downloaded software where possible, although I do have many games in Steam and have been very happy with the ability to reinstall those games when upgrading to a new compute.

[quote name='chimpmeister']One lesson to be learned is, buy the boxed retail version instead of some sketchy download "code" . . . that way you can reinstall from disc later. One reason I avoid downloaded software where possible, although I do have many games in Steam and have been very happy with the ability to reinstall those games when upgrading to a new compute.[/QUOTE]
I have 95% of my games through Steam and haven't bought a boxed game in at least 5 years! Using Steam primarily had made me erroneously assume digital delivery wouldn't be rocket science for other services. I bought the version I had from EA directly as another CAG hooked me up with a $20 discount code.

In the future, I plan to only by my games from Steam, D2D or Amazon with credit deals. The heartburn I had to deal with on this wasn't worth the money I saved. My goal here was to explain to other people the potential shittiness of EADM, which apparently they have made worse than it used to be. :evil:

I purchased the Dragon Age on the flash deal and downloaded it with EADM, The files were corrupt, and had to download it a few times but once it was downloaded correctly I just burned the files to DVDs and use these for install now (I used the burned DVDs to install on my second machine with no issues and no EADM). So required EADM may be game dependent?

It's 2/25 in the UK now. Are people able to get their codes yet? I won't be able to check for a while until I get back home.

BTW : Deal dead. Should move the thread to the Graveyard now.

edit : No code yet, still considered in "Pre-Order" status, per site. Sucky.

[quote name='Decker']It's 2/25 in the UK now. Are people able to get their codes yet? I won't be able to check for a while until I get back home.

BTW : Deal dead. Should move the thread to the Graveyard now.

edit : No code yet, still considered in "Pre-Order" status, per site. Sucky.[/QUOTE]

Still waiting on mine as well... still in "Pre-Order" status. On the plus side (not sure if this has been mentioned yet), a friend told me that this game is also bound to your Games for Windows/Xbox Live account (in the way Mafia II or Civilization V retail copies bind to Steam accounts), and will show up in Games for Windows Marketplace for re-download. I can't confirm this, but I hope so much that it's true... and that this is not a hoax deal in general,

Well, today is the day, and instead of my code I got this:

"Thank you for pre-ordering the Bulletstorm PC Game key.

All our PC games serials are obtained from original, boxed versions of the games and all EA's previous games could be downloaded and activated from EADM using these retail keys.

Unfortunately, EADM has not yet enabled Bulletstorm to be downloaded using retail keys. This means that currently access to the disc is required to install the game - though once installed, the disc is not required. If you have access to a disc to install the game (for example from a friend), then the game will activate and play as normal off and online using the retail key we can provide.

The EADM should work with the key at some point, though we do not currently have a date/time when this will occur.

Please respond to this email to advise whether you would prefer a refund on your order, or the CD key sent to your email address.

We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused by these unforseen circumstances.

GamePointsNow"

Do people have any thoughts on what to do with just a CD key?

I don't see the key listed in Steam's list of CD keys that can register. I could maybe torrent the game files in order to install and register my key with that, but often the torrents are illegal hacks that are keyless anyway, and I'm not interested in that.

You're supposed to be able to download it through EA Download Manager. Although, if its Games for Windows Live enabled, you might be able to download it through the Games For Windows marketplace.

[quote name='Serakek']You're supposed to be able to download it through EA Download Manager. Although, if its Games for Windows Live enabled, you might be able to download it through the Games For Windows marketplace.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, the EA download is the problem:

Unfortunately, EADM has not yet enabled Bulletstorm to be downloaded using retail keys.

Can you activate keys and download from Games for Windows Live like you can with Steam?

Can you activate keys and download from Games for Windows Live like you can with Steam?[/QUOTE]

Yes you can. As long as the key is a 25 character code, just like the codes for xbox live.

Received this email this morning.

Thank you for pre-ordering the Bulletstorm PC Game key.

All our PC games serials are obtained from original, boxed versions of the games and all EA's previous games could be downloaded and activated from EADM using these retail keys.

Unfortunately, EADM has not yet enabled Bulletstorm to be downloaded using retail keys. This means that currently access to the disc is required to install the game - though once installed, the disc is not required. If you have access to a disc to install the game (for example from a friend), then the game will activate and play as normal off and online using the retail key we can provide.

The EADM should work with the key at some point, though we do not currently have a date/time when this will occur.

Please respond to this email to advise whether you would prefer a refund on your order, or the CD key sent to your email address.

We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused by these unforseen circumstances.

GamePointsNow

[quote name='PusherRobot']Received this email this morning.

Thank you for pre-ordering the Bulletstorm PC Game key.

GamePointsNow[/QUOTE]

Wow, what a lame solution. If you had the disc, why would you buy the key? Total fail. As I mentioned previously, just buy the retail boxed version or buy it on Steam, which has always proven to me to be a reliable, honest service with great prices.

I sent them an email asking if the CD Key could be used with the Games For Windows client. We'll see, I guess. Not going to risk it if I can't get the definitive answer from them.

[quote name='ster']that's not really how pc gaming works

plus, consoles have been outdated for over six years[/QUOTE]

say what?

dwdwa.jpg

pc$$$s.jpg

[quote name='Decker']I sent them an email asking if the CD Key could be used with the Games For Windows client. We'll see, I guess. Not going to risk it if I can't get the definitive answer from them.[/QUOTE]

I got this reply:
A customer support staff member has replied to your support request, #XXXXX
with the following response:

It is not possible to download the game with the Games for Windows Live client,
or the Steam client. Retail keys can only work with the EADL client.

We hope this response has sufficiently answered your questions. If not, please
do not send another email. Instead, reply to this email.
so I asked for a refund.

I asked on the EA forums when they would fix the system to allow cd-keys to be used. I got this response from an EA rep "I hope to know by next week, but I honestly cannot tell you". I think we're all better off asking for a refund seeing as there might be the possibility that it won't be fixed.

bread's done
Back