Burnout Fans Unite!! #5 Announced with details!

Tha Xecutioner

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Announcement article for Burnout 5 (no clever name yet chosen for this game): http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/11658/Burnout-5-Announced/

Cliffnotes:
[quote name='Team Xbox Announcement']Gone is the need to jump in and out of menus and aimlessly search for fun like many open world games; in Burnout 5, every inch of the world is built to deliver heart-stopping Burnout-style gameplay. Every intersection is a potential crash junction and every alleyway is an opportunity to rack up moving violations.[/quote] [quote name='Team Xbox Announcement'] Of course, rules are made to be broken, and when gamers enter Paradise City, they’re assigned a Drivers License that quickly begins to amass a record of player’s most aggressive, reckless and destructive exploits behind the wheel. But it’s not the law that’s eyeing player’s progress … when gamers push things too hard they’ll be squaring off against the city’s most infamous burners, and these legends aren’t interested in who crosses the finish line first.[/quote] [quote name='Team Xbox Announcement']“Burnout 5 is a complete reinvention of the series, built from the ground up for the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360,” said Alex Ward, director of game design at Criterion Games. “To create truly next-generation gameplay, we needed to create a truly next-generation game, from top to bottom.”[/quote] [quote name='Team Xbox Announcement']Burnout 5 also delivers the next level of speed and destruction, with brand new next-generation technology allowing gamers to literally rip their cars in half, in the most explosive pile-ups in the series’ history.[/quote]
Although I really really love the Burnout series, it kinda scares me to hear them say they are doing this next game "from the ground up". I hope they don't fuck it up somehow with this rebuilding process, because I am a stickler of the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" group. Here's to hoping the best racing series in gaming continues its success with Burnout 5!

Gone is the need to jump in and out of menus and aimlessly search for fun like many open world games; in Burnout 5, every inch of the world is built to deliver heart-stopping Burnout-style gameplay. Every intersection is a potential crash junction and every alleyway is an opportunity to rack up moving violations.
Are they going to be turning it into a Driver clone? I kinda like my Burnout for the straight-up racing. I guess it will all be clear by the time I get my 360 in a year or so.

All I want in the game is:

-More variety in car models
-Pick your own color for cars except those (maybe special cars) that are supposed to be one color
-Get rid of the rating system (Poor, Great, Awesome, Perfect). Either I gold in an event or I don't

Yeah I do get a little nervous about the game straying too far from its roots. But I'm sure they would throw in an "arcade mode" or "classic mode" or something. Hopefully it will provide the best of both worlds. First Burnout game developed SPECIFICALLY for the next gen... should be spectacular!

Burnout for the 360 is one of my favorite games... hopefully they don't stray too far but I would like to see a LOT more tracks/environments. It seemed like there were 5 environments or something in Burnout 4 (with different courses). I guess I just want some more variety.

[quote name='pop311']Did anyone think the crash mode in 3 was way way better than Revenge?[/QUOTE]I thought MULTIPLAYER crash mode in particular was way more enjoyable in 3. I hated how they didn't show replays in Revenge. Watching replays with friends was one my favorite parts in 3. Even if the mode was mechanically better in Revenge, our enthusiasm for it waned quickly... whereas Burnout 3's remained a multiplayer staple at my place for some time.

Did they fix this in the 360 version? Or heck, was there some way to get replays in the Xbox version and I just totally missed it????

[quote name='pop311']Did anyone think the crash mode in 3 was way way better than Revenge?[/quote]
I think in every aspect, other than graphics, Burnout 3 was better than Burnout: Revenge. 3 had waaaay more tracks, better cars (at least not everyone chose the exact same car), it was more of a challenge to earn all cars, and you could only race what you had earned online, which isn't quite as fair, but it made you play single player and get good at it before stepping up online.

[quote name='pop311']Did anyone think the crash mode in 3 was way way better than Revenge?[/QUOTE]
It was different. I still just want Burnout 2's crash mode in the Takedown/Revenge engine. I had more fun with those crash junctions than any in the latter 2 games.

[quote name='botticus']Are they going to be turning it into a Driver clone? I kinda like my Burnout for the straight-up racing. I guess it will all be clear by the time I get my 360 in a year or so.[/QUOTE]

It means an open world racing mode, like recent Need for Speed games and Test Drive Unlimited and Midnight Club 3. The world isn't segmented into tracks you choose, but rather you get one big raceway.

From the first description, it sounds like one of the EGM Rumor Mill rumors came true. They mentioned that a Burnout MMO was in the works....so it kind of came true.

This first sentence, "Gone is the need to jump in and out of menus and aimlessly search for fun like many open world games; in Burnout 5, every inch of the world is built to deliver heart-stopping Burnout-style gameplay."

sounds like they were going for a more-open world/MMO world approach.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']I think in every aspect, other than graphics, Burnout 3 was better than Burnout: Revenge. [/quote]

Don't forget traffic checking - that was a really cool addition, IMO

[quote name='javeryh']Don't forget traffic checking - that was a really cool addition, IMO[/quote]
Thoust speaketh the truth. I really hated the traffic from 3 so it made Burnout Revenge even sweeter.

It sounds kind of like how SSXtricky evoled into SSX3 with you going down the mountain and riding into the events instead of picking in a menu.

I just hope there is a good map sytem so I am not aimlessly driving around to no where. Sorry if this was addressed, I skimmed. :(

So much for the MMO burnout that was rumored.
I also wish they would either state "Late 2007" or "Early 2007" so I could decide if It's worth buying the 360 version of Revenge for $30ish, since I already have revenge for the XBox.

[quote name='daroga']It was different. I still just want Burnout 2's crash mode in the Takedown/Revenge engine. I had more fun with those crash junctions than any in the latter 2 games.[/QUOTE]
Same here.

I've never minded the menu systems in Burnout games. Granted the continental maps in 3 and the level-based menus in Revenge weren't perfect, but they didn't detract from the game itself. With an open world, I worry that they'll waste my time by making me drive all over the world just to make it to events, like NSFU2, which I abhor for that same reason.

I trust Criterion won't screw it up, but I have my reservations.

[quote name='javeryh']Don't forget traffic checking - that was a really cool addition, IMO[/quote]

wow, I feel totally the opposite. I though the ability to just smash into the back of cars and shunt them out of the way completely broke the game. I loved 3 to death, and got golds on every single event. But revenge got soo boring that I stopped at around 20% completion and never went back.

I liked the challenge of having to weave thru traffic and when they took that away it was a step in the wrong direction for the series imo.

bread's done
Back